Gatling Gun Rules..

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

If using the burst rules in Palladium, you are loking at 1d8 X10 damage, as most old style gatling guns can not be made to fire less than the full belt of ammo. A less arachaeic machine gun where you can regulate damage would be 1d8 on a single shot. Guns are a powerful thing to bring into a game, and unless a hero has super speed, he is not going to be able to dodge or outrun a bullet. You could always go with rubber bullets, but fired at high speed they are still going to do quite a bit of damage. This is why Palladium makes a point of addressing the issue about using guns in campaigns of Heroes Unlimited as being potentially unbalancing. You as GM can always make the call that the foe in the armor and guns intentionally is missing, trying to intimidate, but as a GM I would still do a roll to see if the guy in the armor successfully fires at, but not to hit, the target.
Or you can always pull a Pulp Fiction and say that miraculously the bullets did not hit the heroes.
Of course, there are always BP vests and powers which are able to make a character immune to the effects of bullets.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

You need to read the burst rules on p75 of HU2.

Then you need to realize that gatling guns are more of a spray and pray type weapon. Usually when you see them used they're fired and slowly dragged back and forth across the field of fire that has the most densely packed or choice targets, the clusters of enemy soldiers, the armored vehicles, etc. So even though it might fire 165 rounds per melee, not all of those will hit targets, and definitely not all will hit the same target (unless it's a very big and slow target and you're focusing fire on it).
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I don't use the penalty to dodge projectile rules in our games either. My reasoning is this:

You aren't dodging the actual projectile, you start dodging as soon as the weapon is pointed at you and you expect the wielder to pull the trigger.

If someone points a gun at you and yells "freeze," you freeze. If they instead point the guy at you and say "you're dead," you start moving before the trigger is pulled.

Heroes/main characters/PCs are usually going to have enough worldly experience to read someone's body language and facial expressions and know if that trigger is going to be pulled or not.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

You might also want to think about adding some custom rules here. Gatling guns tend to chew through cover pretty easily, depending on what it is.

Your players might seek cover only to find that their cover is quickly disappearing, and the occasional bullet or brick shrapnel is hitting them for damage.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Since these guns only fire long and full melee bursts, and its kind of hard
to actualy determine the number of rounds coming out in seconds, or
attempting the math for attacks per melee. I found it an easier to do it
this way. I'll use two weapons from the "Rifter #33" to demonstrate.

GECAL .50-Cal Gatling gun: Range: 22,000 feet (6706 m) Damage:
5D6x10+20. Rate of Fire: Long burst only. This weapon’s rate of fire is so
fast that a long burst only counts as one attack. Payload: 8,000 rounds.
Enough for 16 long bursts. Note: Anyone thinking they can carry this
weapon around needs to know it weights 96 lbs (43.6 kg) empty and is
nearly 4 feet long (1.2 m).

KS-10 Gatling Cannon: Range: 11,000 feet (3355 m) Damage: 1D6x100.
Rate of Fire: Long burst only. This weapon’s rate of fire is so fast that a
long burst only counts as one attack. Payload: 1500 rounds. Enough for 4
long bursts. Note: Anyone thinking they can carry this weapon around
needs to know it weights 132 lbs (59.9 kg) empty and is nearly 6 feet long
(1.83 m).

Remember these "real life" guns can shread anything put in front of them.
They will take out tanks (in fact they did so in the Gulf War 1 and 2). And
as for dodging the burst, well if you want to put a -5 or -10 penalty on the
person unless he or she has auto dodge, I'm all for it. GM should only
allow these guns if they feel comfortable letting their players use them in
games and campagins.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I kinda flubbed on my damage estimates, but my impression is that he is going for an older style gun rather than the most modern variety. A gatling gun is not something you want to use for nminimal damage.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

From CoCW.
.50 Caliber GELCAL, cyclic rate of fire of 8000 rounds per minute for 6 barrel version, 4000 rounds per minute 3 barrel version.
Note, previously listed 96 pound weight is gun only, doesn't apparently include the ammo, 'power source' to turn the barrels, etc.

A 'small' 5.56mm 'minigun' (man portable?) has a rate of fire of 1000 rounds per minute. It does 1D6x10+10 per round (991m/s muzzle velocity! That's over mach 3!). It is 38.6kg (84 pounds).

I know a bit about the 'bigger' gatling guns, it can show just how fast the weapons can fire.

Here is some that I dug up on wikipedia.

Minigun
It seems one 7.62mm gun listed (M134?) could fit what is needed, it could fire at rates of up to 6000 rounds per minute.
It came out in the Vietnam war, around the 1960's.
Fairly impressive for a 30-40 year old weapon.

A 'larger' version, a 3 barrel 20mm M197 Gatling Gun has a limited rate of fire of 730 rounds per second, but has harder hitting rounds (and an estimated 30%+ jam rate...)

The 5.56mm minigun, the XM241 Minigun

As for mentions they can take out tanks, the one that does that is the GAU-8, a 30mm 7 barrel "Avenger" firing a mixture of HEAT and DU AP rounds. Way to big for anything other than an aircraft or a big vehicle to mount.

Also, from what I know, real gatling/mini guns do not need several seconds to get up to speed, and do not get restricted to having to fire the entire belt (exception being the 20mm Phalanx CIWS, which I have only seen video of firing its entire load of ammo at once. Probably because it is made for naval vessels as an anti-aircraft/anti-missile weapon)

On a side note, due to the way they are designed, many (such as the M134) can sustain their rate of fire with little to no problem of overheating. You got 6 barrels sharing the load of bullets, and with those barrels spining, they double as their own effective colling fan, exposing the barrels to a lot of effective airflow.

A minigun can be 'man portable', with a strong person carrying a backpack with a battery and a lot of belted ammo, so it should be easy for a large 7ft tall robot or PA to wield one.

Round size equivilents (military uses metric instead of caliber).
7.62mm = .30 caliber
5.56mm = .22 caliber (edit) or .223 caliber(/edit)
12.7mm = .50 caliber

Almost forgot, the CoCW lists a 7.62mm MG round as doing 6D6, and a .30 caliber MG as doing 5D6.

Here are a few videos that show what miniguns can do.

A good example of what a 7.62mm "minigun" can do, compared to a regular 7.62mm machine gun.
M134 Minigun and M240 GPMG comparison
No 'spin up' time, just near instead stream of bullets.

And the Mythbusters getting their hands on a M134 minigun the guys at Monster Garage had apparently put on a concealed pop up truck mounted gun mount...
Mythbusters firing minigun
(warning, fish overkill involved in "Shooting fish in a barrel" myth meets minigun ending)

On the subject of robots with miniguns...
Terminator 2 Minigun
Arnold shreds police cars with the man portable version.
(I think the same type of gun made an appearance in the movie Predator, also staring Arnold)
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

To see just how far the mini gun has come from 1960 to HU...Century Station page 117, Whiz Kids Gauss Accelerator.

8-)
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

G wrote:To see just how far the mini gun has come from 1960 to HU...Century Station page 117, Whiz Kids Gauss Accelerator.

8-)

Makes little sense when looking at my copy of Century Station.
No size/weight of weapon listed, no mention of how many rounds it fires in any burst, no mention of a muzzle velocity.
Although, for 'tiny ball bearings' to do that much damage, they would be 'useless' against soft targets, they would likely punch clean through without any 'tumble' of 'fragment' effect of a regular bullet, especially since they are durable enough to handle richochete shots. The air friction would likely superheat the rounds, and the friction caused by the impact would likely also generate a lot of heat, and likely cauterize any wound it made, preventing or limiting bleeding.
Might also blast clean throgh stuff like brick with ease, or at least put a large hole and a lot of debris on the exit side of the wall.

For everything other than a soft target, it would work great, perhaps causing the rounds to impact body armor in such a way it either sends shattered bits of armor into the wearer, or punches on through, putting a lot of 'foriegn debris' into the wound with much speed/force.

Other than that lack of info and apparent potential lack of effectiveness against all targets, and the fact the lack of a rifled/spinning bullet would make accuracy poor, it's a nifty weapon.
It is hard being alone.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

Its a handgun. The picture is on the cover. Enjoy.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
R Ditto
Hero

Unread post by R Ditto »

G wrote:Its a handgun. The picture is on the cover. Enjoy.

A handgun?
Then that's definately not a minigun.

Minigun
"The Minigun is a multibarreled machine gun with a high rate of fire (several thousand rounds per minute), employing Gatling-style rotating barrels and an external power source"
It is hard being alone.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

R Ditto wrote:From CoCW.
....snip....
Round size equivilents (military uses metric instead of caliber).
7.62mm = .30 caliber
5.56mm = .22 caliber (edit) or .223 caliber(/edit)
12.7mm = .50 caliber

Almost forgot, the CoCW lists a 7.62mm MG round as doing 6D6, and a .30 caliber MG as doing 5D6.

...snip

The 5.56mm NATO (.223 rem) is a very differnt round then the .22. The .22 is basicly a very small pistol round (there are varents tot eh basic .22 rounds), while the .223 is a high powered rifle round used in the M-16 & its verients (mili.) and the Ruger mini-14 & bushmaster (civi.)

I would be remiss to also point out that the .30 M1 round is more a scaled up pistol round, while the 7.62x39mm is the round used for the AK-37 & its varients. Also, while the remington .300 ultra mag has the 'caliber' as the .30 M1 and the 7.62x39mm it is a very different beast.

The normal round when talking about a .50 cal for a rifle is the .50 BGM (12.7x99 NATO) which each bullet weighing about a 1/10 of a pound, which is about a 1/3rd of the total weight of the round. (.50 Browning machine gun) While the .50 Action Express is the pistol round used in the .50cal Deasert Eagle.

When dis-scribing a firearm round, caliber is just one part of the round. When talking "firepower" and stopping power the additions to the size(mm)/caiber make up the larger difference in defining the rounds being used. When the round is discribed in caliber, ussully the longer the discriptive alpha-numerics after the 1st two digits the higher the firepower. If the rounds are being discribed in mm then the bigger the number more fire power. But with each, you must match the round size to the round size listed on the firearm or "Bad Things Can Happen".

Side note, while googling my resurch I came across this page....
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Rifts/Rifts ... Rounds.htm

refernece notes:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ga101.htm

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl04-e.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Action_Express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_%28mass%29
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Gatling Gun Rules..

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

RMThompson wrote:Anyone know where I can find some rules for a gatling gun? The particular gun is being held by a large robot, about 7 foot tall...

HUGMG, p. 221.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
R Ditto
Hero

Unread post by R Ditto »

drewkitty
I was referring to round size as in the diameter, not bullet types.
Partly why the one bit I had edited in for .22/.223 caliber, since I didn't know which it was for the 5.56mm.

I was mainly trying to show the round size/diameter in caliber and the equivilent round size/diameter in metric.
A .30 caliber bullet is 7.62mm diameter a .50 caliber round is 12.7mm diameter, etc.

The one comparison of a 7.62mm vs. a .30 caliber was to show there differences in different weapons that had the same muzzle diameter.

My dad was in the military, I have the CoCW, and have seen a few shows on TV relating to military stiff, so I am quite familiar with the fact there is an abundant variety of bullets in the world.
I do admit my wording is not always the best at times.
It is hard being alone.
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

I believe that there is probably 1 more thing to add to this.

Most if not all Gatling Guns will not be using Soft Lead Rounds. The Vast Majority of then will probably be using the Full Metal Jacket variety of ammo.

Also as posted above, it will/does not take 3-5 seconds for a gatling gun to rotate up to speed before fireing. More like 1-2 seconds.
Desert Rat
Wanderer

Unread post by Desert Rat »

Just curious....who has actually fired a multi-barrel machine gun? Not that reality has anything to do with game rules.
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

If you want to see something really cool, check out http://www.metalstorm.com

Go to the video section, and go back to the 2001 videos - you want to look at the "Aug 2001 - 36 barrel prototype test firings"..

You want to see some real carnage?? This thing will shred anything - especially with a full ammo loadout.. problem is that ammo is hardly conserved when you can theoretically fire 1,000,000 (yeah, that's a MILLION) rounds per minute..

I especially like the 600 rpm 40mm grenade launcher.. Talk about waking up with a splitting headache..
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by Snowtiger »

G wrote:Its a handgun. The picture is on the cover. Enjoy.

I think there's a similar concept in one of the Cyberpunk 2020 Chrome books, basically a minigun shrunk down to the size of an SMG, firing .22 caseless rounds from a helical magazine. It's said in the fluff text to be capable of emptying the 120 rnd magazine in five seconds(in which point it comes as useful as a club, if the guy using it doesn't carry spare mags). In addition to the ammo reservoir, the magazine also carries the battery for the electronic firing mechanism.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Now i have spent many a year studying the design of Miniguns and I know of three people who have had a hand in building handheld versions. I personally haven't gotten to fire one but I have handled one before.

As far as spinup goes that only takes about .6 seconds on average to go from a dead stop to a full 6,000 rounds a minute with a 20mm gun. The smaller varieties are just as fast if not faster to spin up. In game terms it means that as soon as you are pulling the trigger the weapon is fireing.

As far as Caliber goes you have:

.22 Long Rifle(1D6 damage), a company once made a prototype in this caliber that's the size of a FN P90.

5.56X45mm Nato(4D6 damage), this is the General Dynamics XM-214 "Microgun".

7.62X51mm Nato(5D6 damage), the Dylan Aero M-134D Minigun. I know of five different M-134 Miniguns converted to handheld configuration. The Predator/T2 Minigun uses a custom 1,200 round per minute gearbox, the Resident Evil Minigun was about 2,000 RPM and I'll have to ask Steve Karnes about the miniguns he's built. The real issues with these weapons has been power supply and the weight of ammo that these weapons need. Heck the Predator/T2 minigun was out of ammo in 30 seconds.

.50 BMG(1D6X10 damage), this is the General Dynamics GAU-19/A (formerly the Gecal 50). Now the HMMWV version is geared down to 1,200 rounds per minute and that will make a HMMWV move due to recoil. Also such mounts have all of 900 rounds of ammo ready to go.

So the basic concept of a powered Gattling gun is to get rounds out very quickly. In game terms bursts of 100 rounds take up only an action...given that the character only has five attacks per melee. The plus side of a powered Gattling gun is that while the handheld miniguns typically use tracers to aim(I'm sure that one can modify a crew served weapons laser to fit a minigun mount) they still put a huge ammount of bullets on target.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Desert Rat
Wanderer

Rockwolf66 wrote:.50 BMG(1D6X10 damage), this is the General Dynamics GAU-19/A (formerly the Gecal 50). Now the HMMWV version is geared down to 1,200 rounds per minute and that will make a HMMWV move due to recoil. Also such mounts have all of 900 rounds of ammo ready to go.

?????

Are you referring to a theoretical design that was never implemented? Because the only mini-guns we have on our gun trucks are 7.62mm variants.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Desert Rat wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote:.50 BMG(1D6X10 damage), this is the General Dynamics GAU-19/A (formerly the Gecal 50). Now the HMMWV version is geared down to 1,200 rounds per minute and that will make a HMMWV move due to recoil. Also such mounts have all of 900 rounds of ammo ready to go.

?????

Are you referring to a theoretical design that was never implemented? Because the only mini-guns we have on our gun trucks are 7.62mm variants.

It's not a theoretical design IT IS IN CURRENT PRODUCTION AND USED BY SEVERAL COUNTIES. Oman uses them on HMMWV, Columbia and Mexico use them on drug intrediction aircraft and a few other places have been trying them out.

GAU-19/A
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Desert Rat
Wanderer

Rockwolf66 wrote:It's not a theoretical design IT IS IN CURRENT PRODUCTION AND USED BY SEVERAL COUNTIES. Oman uses them on HMMWV, Columbia and Mexico use them on drug intrediction aircraft and a few other places have been trying them out.

GAU-19/A

I am just askin' hoss, because it is a US weapon system which is not used on ground based vehicles by the US military. Slingin' 200 round cases of .50 cal into a gun chewing through it every 10 seconds while under fire would suck ***. Besides, .50 cal is more anti-material then anti-personnel and in today's battlefields there is not much of a need for anti-material weapons systems of that caliber capable of that amount of extensive damage. Now aircraft that can have a sponsor box holding 1,000+ rounds, that is a different story.
Rockwolf66
Hero

I hear you.

the reason Columbia uses them on Blackhawks is the simple fact that a 7.62 NATO round lacks the penatration needed for ther areas that Farc likes to Play. Even though its the sort of enviroment where a Minigun would otherwise be really handy so they had to go one size larger and put a GAU-12 on one side and a 40mm auto-grenadelauncher on the other. That sort of firepower tends to make ground based problems just go away.

As for the Omani's Their houses are very well built and I know guys who had to use Anti tank weapons to deal with some dug in soviet backed, Iraqi trained terrorists many a moon ago. the Current Omani Military is from what I hear pretty decent students of their British Advisors.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”