Tools of the trade

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Tools of the trade

Unread post by taalismn »

Darkmax wrote:hmm.... a washing machine..... can't get clean clothes without one in space and zero-G

Zero-Gee Porta-Potties...Face it, you can live without a bath for a while, but this?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those just sound scary! Attach this hose.............WHERE???? :::Faints::: :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Psionic helm:
An old noro design, since copied by most powers, is a psilite based ship control device,
which look like a crystalline coffin.
The psionic powers imprinted into the psilite imbue the helmsnoro (or anyone, who has
at least dormant psionic powers) with the following powers:

- 6th sense
- speed reading
- telemechanics
- totall recall
- clairvoyance

But most importantly the device creates a small astral domain, heavily reinforced from
outside intrusion.

To use the device, the helmsman has to attach himself psionically to the sarcophagus,
which is a long process, taking 24+d12 hours, and also comes with the permanent expenditure
of 10 ISP, to create the domain.
Due to the nature of the helm, one coffin can be attached to one helmsman, but
fortunately, helms can be transferred from ship to ship as well as multiple helms can be
installed on a single ship.

Once the helmsman steps into the device, enters a trance - actually it is an astral transference -
which takes about a minute (d4 melee).
After that, in the "domain" - which is a well equipped tactical workstation he finds that the
time flows differently there - actually faster than in the 3 Galaxies. In space battles, this means
that the helmsman has more time to react, thought the ship and her equipment is still
stuck in normal time.
The added powers (listed above) imbue the helmsman with an wiev on his ship and the tactical
situation around often descibed as "enlightened". The 6th sense and the clairvoyance powers
also offer some predictions of how the situation will evolve in the next few second.

The helm can store 3000 ISP, which can be recharged only by the master attached to it.
Fortunately, as time flows faster the helmsman can regenerate ISP faster - but his body
ages and is exhausted faster too.

Also, the helm takes practice to master and takes its toll. In non-combat circumstances
it matters little, since the helmsman can enter a meditative trance, but once events
begin to speed up, using all powers cost 10 ISP per "real life" melee. Also, the useage
of the helm is akin to a skill or psionic power, so it advances with practice (ie. levels).

It adds +20%+3% per additional level to piloting skills and sensor system rolls (only for
ship systems tied to the helm).

1st level: +4 to initiative, +2 to dodge, +1 action useable to dodge
2nd level: +1 to initiative, +1 to dodge, +1 action useable to dodge, +1 action to assign
commands to "mundane" crews
3rd level: +1 to initiative, +1 to dodge, +1 action useable to dodge, +1 action to assign
4th level: +2 action to assign commands, +1 to strike with weaponry
5th level: +1 action to assign commands
6th level: the ability to "upgrade" the "domain" with the permanent expenditure of further
ISP or PPE.

The helm itself costs about 15 million credits, but only manufacturable by psilite
experts, taking long time. This makes a viable upgrade for only multi-crewed craft,
as well as making expert helmsman a hot commodity in the fleets of the 3 Galaxies.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

KLM wrote:Psionic helm:
An old noro design, since copied by most powers, is a psilite based ship control device,
which look like a crystalline coffin.
The psionic powers imprinted into the psilite imbue the helmsnoro (or anyone, who has
at least dormant psionic powers) with the following powers:

- 6th sense
- speed reading
- telemechanics
- totall recall
- clairvoyance

But most importantly the device creates a small astral domain, heavily reinforced from
outside intrusion.

To use the device, the helmsman has to attach himself psionically to the sarcophagus,
which is a long process, taking 24+d12 hours, and also comes with the permanent expenditure
of 10 ISP, to create the domain.
Due to the nature of the helm, one coffin can be attached to one helmsman, but
fortunately, helms can be transferred from ship to ship as well as multiple helms can be
installed on a single ship.

Once the helmsman steps into the device, enters a trance - actually it is an astral transference -
which takes about a minute (d4 melee).
After that, in the "domain" - which is a well equipped tactical workstation he finds that the
time flows differently there - actually faster than in the 3 Galaxies. In space battles, this means
that the helmsman has more time to react, thought the ship and her equipment is still
stuck in normal time.
The added powers (listed above) imbue the helmsman with an wiev on his ship and the tactical
situation around often descibed as "enlightened". The 6th sense and the clairvoyance powers
also offer some predictions of how the situation will evolve in the next few second.

The helm can store 3000 ISP, which can be recharged only by the master attached to it.
Fortunately, as time flows faster the helmsman can regenerate ISP faster - but his body
ages and is exhausted faster too.

Also, the helm takes practice to master and takes its toll. In non-combat circumstances
it matters little, since the helmsman can enter a meditative trance, but once events
begin to speed up, using all powers cost 10 ISP per "real life" melee. Also, the useage
of the helm is akin to a skill or psionic power, so it advances with practice (ie. levels).

It adds +20%+3% per additional level to piloting skills and sensor system rolls (only for
ship systems tied to the helm).

1st level: +4 to initiative, +2 to dodge, +1 action useable to dodge
2nd level: +1 to initiative, +1 to dodge, +1 action useable to dodge, +1 action to assign
3rd level: +1 to initiative, +1 to dodge, +1 action useable to dodge, +1 action to assign
4th level: +2 action to assign commands, +1 to strike with weaponry
5th level: +1 action to assign commands
6th level: the ability to "upgrade" the "domain" with the permanent expenditure of further
ISP or PPE.

The helm itself costs about 15 million credits, but only manufacturable by psilite
experts, taking long time. This makes a viable upgrade for only multi-crewed craft,
as well as making expert helmsman a hot commodity in the fleets of the 3 Galaxies.

Adios
KLM

I want one...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Those just sound scary! Attach this hose.............WHERE???? :::Faints::: :D

Could be worse....could be a marketing disaster like public scales: "Your Weight, Fortune, and Colonoscopy."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Awesome helmut KLM!! I agree with Taalismn! I want one too!

I'll avoid those scales Taalismn!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

"Tales from the crypt"

As the above psionic helm is actually the physical gateway to a small astral domain,
sometimes if it is destroyed (as the ship under it goes down), the domain continues
to exist.

But what is the navigator is inexperienced and haven't been able to expand his
domain for prolonged life support?

What if some things are able to break the boundaries separating it
from the Astral Realm?

There are rumors that Navigators are able to jack into other ships, than their
own with less, than benevolent intentions...

:D

So, not every captain wants such a gadget and a smartass navigator...

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is avery cool and nasty thing to do. But could they effect a ship without a psionic interface? Just your thoughts KLM.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Aramanthus wrote:But could they effect a ship without a psionic interface? Just your thoughts KLM.

A lord of an astral realm with the neccessary "extras" can open a portal to anywhere, right?

Then apply Telemechanics.

Disclaimer: most important stuff in the 3Galaxies are designed with security systems. You know,
super psionics and Machine People are around for generations... (See DMB2, Machine People RCC
for further details).

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

OOOuuccchhhh....
That's a novel new form of piracy waiting there...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

As well as a few brain-fried pirates too. :D

However, I made up the "10 permanent ISP" cost of linking without my books, so I will include
an update, with a few extra functions - like a psionic omni-sense and presence sense based
anti-intrusion system.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

I see what you mean KLM! It does make sense. ANd also you are right about security systems. Especially in warships and the rich's vessels. Otherwise those sort of Pirates could be taking a lot of ships. The insurance rates there would be even higher than they presently are.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Nope...you can also set it to create things like imagery of descending dropships, flying power armors, descending artillery barrages, flying monsters, and rains of icky things like giant maggots or falling babies...ANYTHING to distract an opponent...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

gadrin wrote:What HF seems reasonable ?

I've seen leaflets dropped but I think if you noticed it looked like money...

>

Maybe a Distraction Factor of 10 or less, since the observers might not be able to discern what it is, or KNOW what it is...as opposed to a simulated rain of bloody body parts, which is going to have an HF of 13 or more...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Naruni Folding Force Field “Triple F" Stealth Armor

Its an exoskeleton with a built in heavy force field that all folds into a backpack.

If wired to a sensor network built into a Cermalyte night suit it will automatically deploy upon the first MDC done to the night suit. Assuming you survive the initial melee action the force field would activate automatically preventing further damage while allowing you to draw weapons or turn to flee. It can also be activated by pulling on a ripcord like device on either shoulder strap.

After the force field starts the unit sends arms down the outside of your arms and attach to special gloves*, while the main bulk of the unit now lowers to the waist and curves out to nearly encircle the hips. From the sides of this “girdle” legs extend down the outside of your legs and attaches to special boots*, and finally a mask flips over face and covers mouth, nose, and eyes providing filtered and over pressurized air to keep out any breathable toxins.

It gives the wearer the same 160 MDC as a Naruni Super-heavy FF.

It offers enhanced strength (robotic PS 25), wearer can run at speed of 120 (82 mph) and tires only at 1/10 normal rate. The wearer can also jump 10 feet vertically and 15 horizontally from a standing start double with even a short running start. A favorite technique is to use the suit’s speed to escape a bad situation and once no longer visible use the suit’s climbing bonus and jumping ability to climb to a hiding place.

Super quiet and light, weighs only 65 lbs. Wearer is -05% on prowl, but +35% to the climb ability and due to the enhanced strength and gloves and boots!

When inactive it looks like a medium sized backpack with a full load in it though if an unsuspecting person goes to pick it up they would be surprised by its weight. Any inspection or scan of the bag will reveal it to be more than a backpack full of books or normal adventure gear.

Has built in power cell that provides 24 hours of operation but this is usually used as a back up, E-clips are use as the primary energy source.

Runs for 3 hours on an eclip.

*Gloves and boots are made of a nano fabric that can harden to the strength of steel they however cannot propel themselves so the wearer’s muscles move the fabric as if it were a tight fitting spandex glove. A sensor in the headpiece reads brainwaves in the movement centers of the brain and hardens the nano fabric when it detects that desire. Some training is required for the computer to interpret a wearer’s brainwaves and for the wearer to get the hang of but after a while the wearer can harden and soften independent hands and feet and can do it near instantly. This proficiency is what gives the climbing bonus and also allows the wearer to never worry about dropping a weapon. For those that know to look for it the black gloves and the black ninja style “tabi” boots along with a black back pack are a dead giveaway that the person has a “Triple F” on. Fortunately there are very few that know to look for these tell tails.

1.7 million credits.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

NE-2000 Mobile Intelligent Multipurpose Attack/Defense Drone
(M.I.M.A.D.D)
In true Naruni fashion they have taken two great ideas and made them better. The MIMADD is based heavily on a reverse engineered Kittani K-1000 Spider defense weapon. Like the Spider the NE-2000 is capable of being used as a heavy energy weapon system attaching itself to a suit of power armor, bot, or borg. It has it own targeting computer though targets are designated by the person controlling the weapon. It receives a +3 to strike in this function.

In its automated Attack/Defense mode its AI can be programmed to recognize up to 2000 general and specific targets by means of visual, radar, and heat signatures. Using this information it can be instructed to target specific enemies as well as avoid targeting “friendlies”. It also has a mode where it can be commanded to kill indiscriminately all targets approaching from a certain area or direction.

Rather than use legs, as the Kittani Spider does, the NE-2000 uses an internal grav pak for its movement. Not only does this make the weapon silent in its movements but it also allows it to travel at much greater speeds. This propulsion method along with a simple retractable claw also allows the Drone to be used as a quick field transport for wounded soldiers. It can be commanded to retrieve both lost soldiers and lost equipment. It will retain full speed flight (200 Mph) while carrying up to an additional 300 lbs. If it carries between 301& 700 lbs its speed is reduced to 50 Mph.

Weight: 100 lbs
Shape & Size: Cigar shaped, cannot tell the front from the back. About 4 feet long and 8 inches diameter. Requires a called shot to hit if end on.
Power source: Nuclear, 5 year lifespan
Mega-Damage: Dual setting Particle Beam cannon, Light setting does 1d4x10 MD, Heavy setting does 2d4x10 MD
Rate of Fire: 6 attacks per melee if working from AI only or HtH +1 if it is actively controlled by a user.
Maximum Effect Range: 3000 feet
Payload: 100 light shots or 50 heavy shots then at least a 1 hour charging period if the gun completely shuts down. A 2 hour charging period is required if the grav pack propulsion or the optional N-F12B light force field is active.
For an additional 500,000 credits Naruni will equip the drone with 20 micro-missile launcher tubes, (missiles themselves sold separately)
Attack/Defense AI: Voice commands over a radio link (5 mile range more with satellite communications) control the drone. It can patrol an area, relocate to a better position, hide, take evasive action (+4 to dodge), retreat once certain amount of damage is sustained (or if shield is depleted), per form the following skills: land navigation 80%, Detect ambush 80%, Intelligence 80%, detect concealment at 68% and Prowl at 85%. It can recognize up to 2000 different targets as friend or foe. +2 to Strike, 6 attacks per melee, fly at 200 Mph, all without supervision. The drones can be linked and will relay commands “down the line”. The drone will continue to follow the last command it was given until new commands are received.
MDC of the weapon: 65 MDC. To protect your investment even more an N-F12B light force field (additional 90 MDC) can be built into the unit at an extra cost of 40,000 credits.
Market price: 3 million credits for base version, 3,040,000 with the force field, 3,500,000 with the micro-missile tubes, 3,540,000 with both options, unique availability (Naruni will ship them to anywhere with payment upfront).
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Aramanthus
Monk

Those Holo warheads would be a cool distraction. What sort of cost would you think to add that to your computer Gadrin? It would work, since many people are always looking for free money.

Nice Naruni gear. I can see those as out growths to their other gear. It makes sense to expand their line in those areas. Nice to have the fight or flight in a suit that is already on. And the little drone would be a nice little bit of personal protection

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Just my two virtual cents:

Holo warheads: tossing out a few of the real articles with thousands of "holochaff"
can be very handy, be they cut-off ears, 100 credit notes or rattlesnakes...

FFF Stealth Armor: "My" NE R&D team would add a few features.
First, once the armor is done, it CAN look like whatever the wearer
want it to look like.
Second, since it is effectively the same technology as the multi-tool
from DMB2... A screwdriver, an "universal key" or a weld-axe can come
handy.

MIMAD drone:
Power source: Nuclear, 5 year lifespan
(...)
The drone will continue to follow the last command it was given until new commands are received.

Eeeeekkkk.... :shock: Landmines and duds left over a conflict are bad enough,
a bunch of terminators are a nightmare.

I would give them a battery, for like 2 days of continous operations or 4 weeks on "standby",
change the main gun for a NE plasma cartride "rifle", and a price tag of like one million without
extras.

Both because the 3Galaxies - IMO - has a general aversion of AIs, both from marketing
purposes. IMO, of course.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Psionic helm, 2nd edition:

As above, but "Linking/domain creation cost" is 15 permanent ISP.

The result is a controlled, tiny domain, with one moveable portal
(the sarcophagus-like helm) with special physical laws (time goes
faster inside the domain). This cost 60 creation points, as the portal is
"free".

Additional creation points can be purchased, with one premanently
spent ISP equally as 4 creation points as long as the helm exists.

If it is destroyed, the navigator - if trapped inside - has
as many hours as his domain has in creation points (about one-fifth
of that in "real time").
During this time he might decide to sacrifice 3 times as many ISP
permanently as he spent on his realm already (those with desperately
low ISP might op for losing a few "extras") to make it permanent
without the focusing help of the psilite helm) - in essence, one
ISP per one creation point.

Purchasing extras - of course - is subject to the individual GM,
so better load up with his favourite snacks.

As a side note, the psionic augmenting helmet in DMB2 cannot be used
in conjuction with the device.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Probably stolen by the Sploogs, the TGE, traded to the UWW and the Altess claim to have
a better design. The Golgan Republik uses a VR, purely technological one.

Yet, I guess, no power block likes it - ships suspected to have one are
treated as warships, akin to medium laser canons and up, mentioned in DMB2.

As an afterthought, in the CAF, non-noro navigators are definitely at odds
upon trying to enter the noro-ruled "mafia", thought not unheard of.
Technically, anyone with even latent psionic powers can use it, yet the noro
try to screen out those, who pose a threat, even by their lack of perspective
(ie. minor and latent psykers or those with low ME).

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Lookin' good there with the new gear... ;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice new Psionic helmut! That is quite a thought about a Noro Mafia like group in your game. I have to admit my own universe is also less paranoid at this time in the game. Although the way it is going if might end being a lot more paranoid in the future.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Psionic helm:

Price tag is about 15 million credits. This probably comes with the waiting period of a few months
since manufacturing is slow, or you purchase a non-noro product or a second-hand one.

While impressive, it has drawbacks:

- it gives almost absolute power to one single crewmember, who is
by the nature of things becomes a bit disconnected and creepy.
Also, it is very hard to guess the extent of his power.

- it is a potential gateway (a well locked, but nevertheless existing) for various
entities

- VR based purely technological systems do exist, with a somewhat lower
performance, but with the option of multiple helmsmen jacking in, in shifts.
And it takes only a datajack, not some supernatural ability.

So, in the TGE it is illegal. Well, subjects cannot purchase one (the armed
forces, including the security or royal kreeghors acquire as much as they can,
thoght even they have to register), foreign ships with such device are restricted
to special ports...

In the CCW they aren't illegal as such, but frequently checked (just as Cosmo Knights
are checked).

In the UWW they are something nuclear/anti-matter powerplants. Dangerous, regulated,
everyday - thought a bit of curiosity, because of the UWW's heavy magic utilisation.

The Golgan Republik... well, I haven't pondered much about their wiev on magic and
psionic, but I guess they regulate it as heavily as the CS, but not that overtly hostile,
since they DO recognise it as a potential source of power.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Price tag is about 15 million credits. This probably comes with the waiting period of a few months
since manufacturing is slow, or you purchase a non-noro product or a second-hand one.

While impressive, it has drawbacks:

- it gives almost absolute power to one single crewmember, who is
by the nature of things becomes a bit disconnected and creepy.
Also, it is very hard to guess the extent of his power.

- it is a potential gateway (a well locked, but nevertheless existing) for various
entities

- VR based purely technological systems do exist, with a somewhat lower
performance, but with the option of multiple helmsmen jacking in, in shifts.
And it takes only a datajack, not some supernatural ability.

S
Adios
KLM

Serious adventure hook material then...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Or having it all TURN on them... :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

gadrin wrote:
taalismn wrote:
(...)

Serious adventure hook material then...

Yeah it's essentially an super-artifact and you don't want to be handing those out to the PCs
just because they can afford it.

I disagree.

A super artifact is something unique.

This is something which is - while restricted by most laws and hard to acquire -
more or less an everyday item. I would put it on par with a GB or an Avenger PA.

Rare, powerfull, therefore primary target. A missile magnet if you like.

Also, as I mentioned, there are systems, which provide just a tad worse
performance.

In essence, if the players - f.ex. a FWC Hunter's command crew - were
able to engage a single Berserker with good odds, now can engage a
pair of those, cripple or even destroy one of them and then leave, before
they take serious damage.

It is not a quantum leap.

On the downside, they have to deal a whole bunch of hazards,
both in the social field (one of them becomes a bit alien) and
maybe some unwanted side effects, like a tectonic entity
or two taking residence on their ship.

Also, there is the possibility, that the lone Berserker they stalk on
has a Royal helmsman (after all, those "super-kreeghors" are
born with immense psionic powers).

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Mind you that the 3 Galaxies is the place where every security boss
has to worry about Noros, Royal Kreeghor and Machine People
hacking their system by their Telemechanics ability, a catburglar with
an OP field and so on.

Again, it is akin to a GB on Rifts Earth or a cruise missile submarine
in our XXIst century... There are "power levels" where they matter
less than nuclear power in YOUR life.

And there are levels (and parties) however where they come into
play... You know, the ones, with a farmboy or a outcast prince
from a desert planet (albeit two different desert planets), messengers
of The Forge or the command staff of an UWW capital ship.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Yeah...well, Paul Maud'dib probably still had problems with his CHOAM credit cards if the card-reader didn't work...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

PLus finding a profitable enough niche market, and finding the people who manufacture the appropriate stuff are in themselves adventures...No doubt the 'super-thieves' cut massive swathes of destruction and misfortunate among people who have never encountered psionics and other such talenst before, but it can be argued that the REAL treasures and fortunes are usually in the hands of people who ARE aware, and have the right connections to people with countermeasure tech...

Makes being a security- or body-guard in the Three Galaxies a VERY interesting job...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

gadrin wrote:I'm STILL trying to get my head around magic and typical precautions. Like the Noro
who have been around for a long time and are aware of Coexistence/Astral Projection.

What is more...

The WB11:CWC detailed the CS's countermagic and counterpsionic measures.

The SRun's Corporate Security Book dealt with the problems of the Awakened
future.

But the in the 3 Galaxies where your starship can be target by furious demons
both encapsulated into a missile and teleported onto the ship via a direct hit
from a Rift canon...

...while it is an Altess ship...

...serving as a diplomatic neutral ground between a Royal Kreeghor
ambassador and a Noro Ghost-maker on behalf the CCW...

...in the airspace of the Ultrovian Protectorate...

...attacked by what seems to be a NE vehicle, but in reality piloted
by Kittanii and High Lords (the latter specialising in Necromancy, Techno-
and Bio Wizardry... What an inspiring combination)....

...it is a dimension of magical black ops AND field or vac navy warfare...

I wonder Taalism knows or not the ancient Chinese curse
"May you live in interesting times!"... :lol:

Adios
KLM

ps.: Looks like a solid dose of Rammstein and several shots of Famous Grouse
while prepping for a Saturday Night rockfest is very inspiring :lol:
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

KLM...I use that curse all the time...
I also reference Robin Williams' scene of shopping for coffee in 'Moscow on the Hudson' *whenever thinking about the Rifts Earth or Three Galaxies/Center marketplace...

*"Coffee...coffee...coffee...cooofffeeeeeeeeeee......(THUD)"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Okay, not so much a tool, as an alteration, but bear with me on this. I know its also been a while, but I've been busy, sorry about this guys. Hope I can keep cranking out the ideas, but the well's been a bit dry for me.

The Nano-Aperture-Producer (aka the NAP) {A Hartigal Combine Special} Cost: Variable

This odd device is insanely expensive, but can be worth every penny in the right circumstances and hands. The wall is comprised of nanites forming thin ribbons of metal, with the controller hooked up to a scanner and computer. If the computer recognizes you, the wall will make a hole of the appropriate size to let you in, if it doesn't, you won’t get in. This takes place almost instantaneously, and can be used to pull off some cheesy 'vanishing effects', or as a security feature on a hidden base (actually, that IS what its intended for, but humans just can't seem to pass up a good prank "No, really dude, this wall is just an illusion, see?"). Not to be attempted for anybody travelling over 25 miles per hour, every mph over that has a cumulative 5% chance of failing to make it all the way into the hole (leaves bits and pieces of themselves hanging out).

So far, this can only be used on large walls measuring at least ten feet tall and twenty across (10'X20'), and not on vehicles, it has to be a building or other anchored point that won't move. It requires a dedicated power source (similar to what power armor would use) to function properly, though portable generators and such can be used in a pinch; using non-standard energy sources will cut down the speed the hole makes opening and closing, and takes five minutes to recharge between uses. Since this item is made out of nanobots, if it is damaged, you can simply give the mass of bots some raw material to effect repairs. The cost varies, if you want a basic package it will cost ten million credits for a standard 10x20 wall-door, each square foot above that raises the price by a quarter of a million, the basic M.D.C. for a door is 500, plus 25 per additional square foot.

The basic model means there must be somebody on the other side to verify who you are and let you pass, otherwise it might as well just be a wall. Putting advanced scanners in the wall and AI in the control computer costs extra, two million for a small group of 20 (but those individuals can come and go as they please, with their pass times logged and stored for record keeping), another five million for widespread access (can verify whole species, or up to 20,000 specific individuals, plus the specs for the previous model) as well as in depth medical scans and reports, for five million extra you can get defenses built into the door (uses heat/electricity, threads of silver, and nano-made acids), for five more you can get basic stealth features (will create patterns of bricks/cracks/graffiti, etc), for ten more in addition to that you can get advanced stealth (heat, motion, electrical and x-ray proof), and finally, for 100,000 credits the safe approach speed can be increased by one mph.

The wall is pre-fabbed, with really only a little bit of plug-and-play for the upgrades needed, and some install time. It only takes about three days of installation and programming, and you’re good to go. Unfortunately, at this time, all upgrades must be purchased before installation can take place, as it is not able to accept changes in its programming other than adding new users. Attempting to countermand this will result in the system refusing to acknowledge the person at the terminal as a valid user (as well as setting off a series of alarms and noise-makers).
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

gadrin wrote:
One shifter is worth his weight in gold in some cases.

>

Inobtainium, you mean...Gold is sewer pipe and electrical wiring in some parts of the Megaverse...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Okay, not so much a tool, as an alteration, but bear with me on this. I know its also been a while, but I've been busy, sorry about this guys. Hope I can keep cranking out the ideas, but the well's been a bit dry for me.

The Nano-Aperture-Producer (aka the NAP) {A Hartigal Combine Special} Cost: Variable).

Whow..... :mrgreen:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:The Nano-Aperture-Producer (aka the NAP) {A Hartigal Combine Special} Cost: Variable).

Whow..... :mrgreen:

Yeah, just an idea that had been bouncing around in my head for a while, but couldn't quite get the correct phrasing down on it. The first write up was just plain jibberish, and nearly every line clashed with one other, took me forever to get all the ideas sorted out properly. Hope it proves usefull in your games!
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Not to be attempted for anybody travelling over 25 miles per hour, every mph over that has a cumulative 5% chance of failing to make it all the way into the hole (leaves bits and pieces of themselves hanging out).

While it looks cool, I think you might want to reword this part. Someone going more than 25mph would seem to have little problem making it all the way through the hole, and more trouble getting the hole to open before they slam into the wall.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice new one Roscoe! Glad to see it. Looking forward to seeing more new material.

I see that KLM's helmut has both positive aspects and negative aspects. But overall I see it it very useful.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:The Nano-Aperture-Producer (aka the NAP) {A Hartigal Combine Special} Cost: Variable

{Snip}

The basic model means there must be somebody on the other side to verify who you are and let you pass, otherwise it might as well just be a wall. Putting advanced scanners in the wall and AI in the control computer costs extra, two million for a small group of 20 (but those individuals can come and go as they please, with their pass times logged and stored for record keeping), another five million for widespread access (can verify whole species, or up to 20,000 specific individuals, plus the specs for the previous model) as well as in depth medical scans and reports, for five million extra you can get defenses built into the door (uses heat/electricity, threads of silver, and nano-made acids), for five more you can get basic stealth features (will create patterns of bricks/cracks/graffiti, etc), for ten more in addition to that you can get advanced stealth (heat, motion, electrical and x-ray proof), and finally, for 100,000 credits the safe approach speed can be increased by one mph.
{Snip}

Alright Mr. Hall, what I meant was, the whole wouldn't have opened wide enough for them to get all the way in, so they run the risk of clipping the wall. I suppose that the vehicle impact tables would work for this, but I'm really just guessing at this point, so just use whatever you think would work best.
In another example, just because you clip somebody with your car doesn't mean you've run them over, you might have only tapped them with the fender. Heck you might not have been going more than 2 mph, but you still HIT them.

And damage dealt by the NAP would start at 1d4x10 per melee action, wall would have a base of three (can be spread out amongst a group, or focused on one individual), and extra attacks could be bought for an additional 500K per attack (max of nine per NAP device). Of course, if an individual was more succeptible to one type of attack (silver, heat, electricity) they would still take extra from that.

Aramanthus
Monk

It's still a very cool concept. I'm still planning on using them.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Some other things that might be useful in certain campaigns

Silenced Barrels: On Rifts Earth in particular, and several other worlds in the 3G's, it is not a good idea to use loud, gun-powder weapons, mainly due to their effect of attracting nasty creatures (and enemies). The Hartigal Combine has come up with this odd part to help those who must travel far from 'civilization', often for long periods at a time. On S.D.C. capable weapons only, they remove the barrel of the gun, and slightly alter it, adding infinitesimal amounts of chemical agents and nano-products. The end result is that the entire barrel acts as a silencer, without the need for an add-on on the end. The new barrel with cut the retort by 95%, not entirely silencing the gunshot, but making it much harder to be heard and thus attracting less attention to you. Cost is a flat 5,000 credits for a hand gun (revolver or automatic), and 15,000 for a rifle or shotgun. The products used will last for several human lifetimes, provided the gun is kept properly cleaned and is not abused (2d4x100 years); but extreme temperatures, either up or down will cause them to break down and fail.

Slugthrower Backpack Kit: The SBK is a new innovation from the Hartigal Combine, the brainchild of a human who watched too many 'authentic pre-holocaust' videos. He saw the devastating close-combat potential of the shotgun, and also saw the limiting factors (namely, ammunition weight and amount), and decided to do something about it. Working on his spare time, he soon came up with a working proto-type that worked decently well. It is essentially the same system used with the rail-guns for power armor. The weapon is attached to the backpack by a thick hollow strap that funnels the ammo into the weapon, and the backpack holds much more than could be carried normally. Now that the weapon has an adequate amount of ammunition, it is then altered to fire full-auto, further increasing its backside smiting capability. Carries 300 rounds, enough for 30 short bursts (1d4x10+20) or 10 long busts (2d4x10+10); SBK can be re-loaded within 5 melee rounds by those familiar with the device. Cost is 30,000 credits, provided the buyer provides his own weapon for modification.

Enhanced Blackbox: For military scout ships and such, this can be an extremely valuable commodity. Instead of simple information like transmissions and such, this box will use the sensors to build a 3-d interactive model of the ship and the surrounding area (contains enough memory for 20 days flight), and will note the markings, call signs, and model of all other vessels it encounters, as well as the pilots life signs and stress levels. Cost is one-million credits, which includes a station that can be used to perform a data-dump on the unit.

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Silenced Barrels: On Rifts Earth in particular, and several other worlds in the 3G's, it is not a good idea to use loud, gun-powder weapons, mainly due to their effect of attracting nasty creatures (and enemies). The Hartigal Combine has come up with this odd part to help those who must travel far from 'civilization', often for long periods at a time. On S.D.C. capable weapons only, they remove the barrel of the gun, and slightly alter it, adding infinitesimal amounts of chemical agents and nano-products. The end result is that the entire barrel acts as a silencer, without the need for an add-on on the end. The new barrel with cut the retort by 95%, not entirely silencing the gunshot, but making it much harder to be heard and thus attracting less attention to you.

For the more gizmo-oriented type, it is interesting to note, that part of the gunshot
noise is the expanding gas from the burnt gunpowder (which the silencer "stores"
in a few chambers - soft drink plastic bottles DON'T. I tried :wink: ), another
part is from the sonic boom of the slug (if it is faster than M1).

Frankly, even some pistol rounds are faster than than the speed of sound, rifle rounds
are usually faster than M2.

However, one can use active, electronic sonic dampeners to cancel out the sonic boom.
Well, at least around the muzzle.

Still, it makes snipers equipped with these gadgets a bit harder to detect.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Hey...my Paladin Steel 20mm manportable Taskin autocannons have always had packs with enclosed ammo feed chutes...that idea can easily be applied, as you note, to other LMGs and portable projectile throwers sported by the heavy weapons team pigmen...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Awesome new gear Roscoe! I think I can find a use for all three of those new devices. Of course they all have great practical uses.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Some things I thought could be useful after watching a few space-shoot'em-up movies this weekend.

Mobile Barricade Paneling: Pieces of Mega-Damage metal (or plastic and ceramics) built in a jigsaw pattern, allowing rapid transportation and assembly. They are bound together using fitted forms, as well as electromagnetic bonding and bolts. Each piece is roughly five feet wide and six feet tall (comes with windows for weapon barrels, have sliding doors to keep enemy missiles and such out) and four inches thick. Each MBP has 50 M.D.C., and weighs 60 pounds, larger pieces have to be custom ordered and cost double (can increase either the width/height or the M.D.C., not both). Cost is 12,000 credits per Panel

Electro-Mine: These are based of off the Naruni Enterprises mobile attack mine system, only stripped down to the basics. They come in two types, anti-grunt and anti-vehicle, anti-grunt types are roughly the size of a CD (five times or so thick though), does 5d6 M.D.C. per shock, and has a payload of 5 shocks before it needs a recharge. It only has a basic AI system inside it, but generally after the first shock, the EM will hover two or three inches above the ground, and move to a secondary position before settling down. The AI will remember where the recharger is, and up to 15 positions, can be used indefinitely without serious wear and tear.

Anti-vehicle is roughly the size of a man-hole cover, and does 2d6x10 M.D.C. damage, and carries 10 shocks. All other systems are identical to the Anti-Grunt unit. The small version costs 5,000 credits per unit, and the larger one costs 25,000 per unit (both can use the same recharger), and the recharger costs 15,000 credits (takes five minutes to recharge one shock). The small units have an M.D.C. of 15, and the larger ones have 25, both have a ground speed of 15 miles per hour; the small ones have no discernable carrying ability, but the anti-vehicles can lift up to 15 pounds. Sensors on both are limited to basic video and nightvision.

Hope these help with pretecting your strongholds, (Oh, and they are, of course, from my good friends at the Hartigal Combine).

Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some cool new systems! And that is another interesting idea Gadrin! Roscoe your gear represents Hartigal Combine. Cool that gives them more products for us to play with.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Some things I thought could be useful after watching a few space-shoot'em-up movies this weekend.

Mobile Barricade Paneling: Pieces of Mega-Damage metal (or plastic and ceramics) built in a jigsaw pattern, allowing rapid transportation and assembly. They are bound together using fitted forms, as well as electromagnetic bonding and bolts. Each piece is roughly five feet wide and six feet tall (comes with windows for weapon barrels, have sliding doors to keep enemy missiles and such out) and four inches thick. Each MBP has 50 M.D.C., and weighs 60 pounds, larger pieces have to be custom ordered and cost double (can increase either the width/height or the M.D.C., not both). Cost is 12,000 credits per Panel

Compared to EBA or even borg armor the panels offer less protection for their bulk, so either
I suggest to raise protection value (after all, most infantry rifles WILL punch through one
in one short burts) or decrease price.

The damage value of the mobile mine system also needs a bit upped, since they are not
likely to harm even a squishy in light EBA. Or maybe a secondary effect, like save vs. paralysis
and/or blindness should be included, even if it means decreasing payload to one.

Just my two cents.

Adios
KLM

ps.: Good ideas otherwise, I am only picking on actual stats, because I like them.
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

That is cool! I was hoping he'd like them! They have enough uses. Besides those could be the MK1 versions of them. The MK 2s could be a major improvment over the original version.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

KLM wrote: Compared to EBA or even borg armor the panels offer less protection for their bulk, so either I suggest to raise protection value (after all, most infantry rifles WILL punch through one in one short burts) or decrease price.

Ah crud, thats supposed to be 100 M.D.C. per square foot, and 1,200 credits, not 12,000. Thanks for pointing that out. And they are supposed to be a simple barricade, or something for troops to take with them when going into uncertain territories, not outright full-battle frontline conditions. For that, I'm sure that they have something else that would work. This way, at least at night, the enemy won't be able to just walk into their camp.

KLM wrote:The damage value of the mobile mine system also needs a bit upped, since they are not likely to harm even a squishy in light EBA. Or maybe a secondary effect, like save vs. paralysis and/or blindness should be included, even if it means decreasing payload to one.

Alright, I agree with you on the paralysis thing, but they aren't really meant to kill a man in EBA, just drive them off or scare them, or let the watchers know where the intruder is (bgi bolt of electricity going off is goint to be rather obvious, and the cursing and flailing of arms and legs just as much so); the anti-vehicle ones WILL kill a man in all but the strongest armor, though they are more likely to be seen. I guess it could go either way, [scratches head] take your pick, but I really can't see any other way to do it, other than what you suggested. Maybe some kind of daisy-chain system? A whole bunch firing off at once, give them an arcing effect (puts me in mind of an enourmous bug-zapper)? Ah well, whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will work.

If you have any other ideas, put em up here, I'd love to see them.

Aramanthus wrote:Those are some cool new systems! And that is another interesting idea Gadrin! Roscoe your gear represents Hartigal Combine. Cool that gives them more products for us to play with.
Yeah, I really like those guys, make me much more comfortable than Naruni. And besides, this gives some of my home-brew races exrta goodies that the cannon peoples don't :twisted:.

Aramanthus
Monk

LOL They are pretty cool! I like them too. They are an underdog of sorts.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Mobile barricade system:
They are good for urban pacification (so a guard post can be
assembled into key positions within minutes), or in boarding
scenarios, usually deployed by the defending side.

For "proper" warfare field fortifications I once came up with
an ultrasonic dirt-compressor - so the soldiers (or the bots,
like Skelebots or Dyna-bots assigned to the unit) dig a
standard foxhole, treat the earthworks with the ultrasonic
compresser, and we have an MDC bunker (well, technically
high-SDC, having like 100 MDC/10k SDC for a 2 man foxhole).

Also, "my Golgans" use prefabricated modular bases, with
force field projectors, built into giant shipping cans, preferably
deployed partly underwater or underground.

Mobile mine system:
I prefer sentry guns or mobile mines, which attack "en masse"
as "lethal area defense" or some surveillance system plus
guards as "nonlethal" system... Maybe with some nonlethal
sentry guns, like paintball gun loaded with fluorescent paint
or stun guns.
So, in my version multiple disks will engage "the lucky winner".

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”