QUASI-LEGAL, Revisited: What SHOULD be in Rifts, but isn't??

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

QUASI-LEGAL, Revisited: What SHOULD be in Rifts, but isn't??

Unread post by cornholioprime »

From the same dude what brought you this thread, comes a follow-up of sorts:

We all know that Kevin deliberately keeps the forces of Rifts Earth from developing technologies, magics and psionics that would unbalance gameplay --for example, there's little to nothing in the way of Artillery; even with today's technology, Tolkeen should have been bombed into oblivion from 40 miles out , yet there isn't aretillery within the Coalition.

Within magic, to put forth another example, there should be mystical, planet-wide means for mages to communicate with one another, yet we don't have that (except by convoluted means).

So, in keeping with the spirit of the "Quasi-Legal Munchkinism" Thread, what devices, spells, and/or tactics should there be on Rifts World that isn't there now??

NOTE: You must follow the rules set forth for character creation, Techno-Wizardry, penalties, etc. when putting forth your examples; so, no ICBMs, for example (they go too high into the atmosphere and would get Kill-satted). For another thing, if you're making some sort of Techno-Wizardry device, you have to show the component spells and materials involved.

Finally, the created items need to stay in character; so no "Baby Sacrifice-Powered Double-Strength Annihilation" spells for Lazlo or Angrar TW Power Armor for the CS.

I'll start with a couple of examples.
First Submission

TW Mystic Arclight -Assassin's weapon:

This device combines standard artillery with runic symbols, wards, precious gems, and the spells 'Teleport: Lesser,' 'Locate,' 'Firequake,' and 'Meteor.' The Artillery piece 'fires' a Meteor spell through a teleportational Rift and can hit targets anywhere within the range of the Teleport Spell, provided the caster (who must pump in additional PPE, see below) meets the requirements of the "Locate" Spell. The artillery then directs the Rift to the target's location -and simultaneously unleashes the "Meteor" and "Firequake" spells upon the target.

PPE Cost per each firing of this artilery piece: 15+ 600+ 75+ 160 +30 =880 PPE.

Materials: Diamonds, Rubies, the artillery piece itself (may be pre-rifts SDC weapon or otherwise, it only needs to be an otherwise functional artillery piece), and the aforementioned spells.

Creation Time:
4-6 months.

Creation Cost: 2.5 million credits for each artillery piece.

Limitations: cannot target any creature protected by Psionic or mystic means that prevent scrying methods, such as the "Sanctum" spell.

Second Submission

Coalition Juicer-SAMAS Power Armor:

Specially designed to respond to the heightened reflexes, speed, and agility of the Juicer.

Special Powers: Provides the Juicer with a Robotic PS of 40, and Spd of 90 mph running/550 mph flying; Psynetic interface and reconfigured sensor array provides 360-degree all-around sensory input similar to the dreaded Splugorth Slavers (provides an additional +4 to dodge on top of the Juicer's normal bonuses despite the armor's size), and doubles the number of attacks per melee round that a Juicer normally enjoys (differs by Juicer type)!!!

Special Note: Due to the fact that the Juicer Power Armor Pilot, like other PA pilots, exerts himself at a greatly reduced rate, characters whose Coalition Juicers spend a majority of their fighting time (75%+) in the suit last much longer than normal, unaugmented Juicers!!
Add another 3 years + 6D6 months to a Coalition Juicer SAMAS pilot's lifetime -and adjust detox time accordingly!!

Cost: Same as a regular Super SAMAS plus an additional 750,000 credits for the psynetic interface and armor retrofit.

Limitations: Obviously, some types of Juicers, such as the Titan and the Delphi Juicer, cannot use this armor. Also, un-Juiced characters cannot use this power armor -their un-Juiced brains cannot handle the 360-degree visual feed, and they do not get any of the suit bonuses in the first place.

Okay, boys and girls, we've seen how crazy y'all can get with just tweaking characters and OCC/RCCs; let's show Kevin just how deadly Rifts would be if the Powers of Rifts Earth went all out!! :demon:
Last edited by cornholioprime on Thu May 31, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

The Coalition does use artillery (purchased from GAW) - read Coalition Navy.

The CS tried to bombard Tolkeen, but its magical defenses were up to snuff.

~Josh
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:The Coalition does use artillery (purchased from GAW) - read Coalition Navy.

The CS tried to bombard Tolkeen, but its magical defenses were up to snuff.

~Josh
Thanks; I'll re-read it (one of the very, very few Palladium Books that I haven't re-read repeatedly).

But you get the idea.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Magical Tactics:

Magical-Using cities should walls which, if not indestructible (like El Dorado), are at least permanently enchanted with "Targeted Deflection," "Metropolis," and "House of Glass."

Not only does the attacker take damage when his beams get directed back at him, if he uses a weapon type that gets by "Targeted Deflection," then he suffers damage to his weapon/armor/main body from "House of Glass!"

Then, to add insult to injury, the damaged attacker gets to watch the walls heal themselves!!

:D

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Lucky wrote:Bipolar, Manic-depressive Multiple-Personality Rune weapon:

Created using the soul of a horribly deranged lunatic. Has two separate personalities/alignments.

Good side: deals damage to any anarchist/evil characters holding it. casts some type of helpful, positive spell 3x daily.

Bad side: Deals damage to good/ selfish characters holding it. Casts one offensive/ damage spell 3x daily.

Once the weapon has "bonded" with the owner (6 months, right?), IF they can stand the moodswings that long, that character permanently gains an insanity! (GM pick one, or roll on the Random Insanity Table.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a sword kinda like that in the video game RPG "Icewind dale."

One of the best swords in the game, but i eventually got rid of it anyway, mostly due to the fact that I couldn't stand it shooting off its "mouth" anymore...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Here is a munchkiny item of my devising that is tad too deadly for comfort

TW Pigeon Bomb
Created as an expensive but effective weapon for assasination, the devices appears as ornate mechanical clockwork bird, made from precious metal decorated with garnets and onyx.
By winding the clockwork mechanism and expending the required P.P.E. the wizard will give the magical bird the known location and name of tis target, a message may also be included but its not required.
Once the instructions are received the machine will locate its target and upon finding it, will detonate with the force of a metor. The mechanism will be destroyed in the process, but most likely the target will die just as well.
The main drawbacks of this device are boths ists high cost for one use ordenance, and the fact that a attentive listener can detect the whirring noise of the approaching doom package which can give the targets a chance to scape.
While en route to deliver burning death the device is impervious to normal attacks or capture, and fly at speed of 360 mph (576 kph), if the device does not finds its target at the specified location it will wait for his return for a 1 month period, after that time the magic will vanish and the device will become inert.
Common messages delivered by this device tend to be snappy one liners, the better to be delivered just before the conflagration.

Spell Chain: Magic Pigeon (20), Meteor (75)
Device Level: 1
Required Gems: (1) 2 carat garnett (1) 1 carat onyx
P.P.E. Construction Cost: 475
Activation Cost: 24 P.P.E.
Construction Time: 48 hours
Construction Cost: 10,750 Cr

The device can be quite deadly escially if its unleashed at a time whne the target is most vulnerable. The hardest part after making the device is finding the target's location and identity, which can be easily remdied with a good scout or even a radio tuned to the target's band frequency.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Dude...TW cannons would be so freakin' cool!

Can you imagine a pyramid on a nexus point with a battery of those freakin' TW Artillery guns?!?!?
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Shadyslug wrote:Dude...TW cannons would be so freakin' cool!

Can you imagine a pyramid on a nexus point with a battery of those freakin' TW Artillery guns?!?!?
:eek:

Coalition Commander, after looking through binoculars at a Pyramid Arsenal: Mister Emperor, Sir, I know that the High Command frowns upon cowardice and usually shoots those soldiers who exhibit it, but could we possibly make an exception in this case??

Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

cornholioprime wrote:
Shadyslug wrote:Dude...TW cannons would be so freakin' cool!

:eek:

Coalition Commander, after looking through binoculars at a Pyramid Arsenal: Mister Emperor, Sir, I know that the High Command frowns upon cowardice and usually shoots those soldiers who exhibit it, but could we possibly make an exception in this case??

What CS High Command?
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Created using the soul of a horribly deranged lunatic. Has two separate personalities/alignments.

Good side: deals damage to any anarchist/evil characters holding it. casts some type of helpful, positive spell 3x daily.

Bad side: Deals damage to good/ selfish characters holding it. Casts one offensive/ damage spell 3x daily.

Once the weapon has "bonded" with the owner (6 months, right?), IF they can stand the moodswings that long, that character permanently gains an insanity! (GM pick one, or roll on the Random Insanity Table.)
it's a weapon for a emo :lol:

"dude , i dont feel alive , cut me"

"ok"
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Alejandro wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:

it's a weapon for a emo :lol:

"dude , i dont feel alive , cut me"

"ok"

That's.....that's just brilliant!!! The ultimate way to punish an emo kid! Confine their soul to a rune weapon. No matter what happens, no matter how much they want to...they'll never get another cut again. They'll never be able to kill themselves....and they can be used by anyone as they are incapable of putting up a fight. The holiest paladin or the most despicable demon worshipper could use the weapon with impunity and all it would do is cry. :-D

Rune weapon : " dude I hate life"

unknown person: do you do anything else be complain?

Rune weapon : life is no worth living

Atlantis goon : give us the weapon

Unknown person : sure
*hands weapon over*

Rune weapon : " dude I hate life"

Atlantis goon : Now do my bidding

Rune weapon : life is no worth living

Atlantis goon : do my bidding!

Rune weapon : I wish I could cut myself.

Atlantis goon : W-T-F?
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

In RJ there is the Ka-Kuma.It's a arty mech. :-D
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

batlchip wrote:In RJ there is the Ka-Kuma.It's a arty mech. :-D

What? That is in Rifts though. What're you getting at exactly?

EDIT - Oh. I get it. Arty ie artillery. I thought you meant arty as in artistic for some reason. My bad.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Crazy Lou
Hero

Juankis wrote:Here is a munchkiny item of my devising that is tad too deadly for comfort

TW Pigeon Bomb
Created as an expensive but effective weapon for assasination, the devices appears as ornate mechanical clockwork bird, made from precious metal decorated with garnets and onyx.
By winding the clockwork mechanism and expending the required P.P.E. the wizard will give the magical bird the known location and name of tis target, a message may also be included but its not required.
Once the instructions are received the machine will locate its target and upon finding it, will detonate with the force of a metor. The mechanism will be destroyed in the process, but most likely the target will die just as well.
The main drawbacks of this device are boths ists high cost for one use ordenance, and the fact that a attentive listener can detect the whirring noise of the approaching doom package which can give the targets a chance to scape.
While en route to deliver burning death the device is impervious to normal attacks or capture, and fly at speed of 360 mph (576 kph), if the device does not finds its target at the specified location it will wait for his return for a 1 month period, after that time the magic will vanish and the device will become inert.
Common messages delivered by this device tend to be snappy one liners, the better to be delivered just before the conflagration.

Spell Chain: Magic Pigeon (20), Meteor (75)
Device Level: 1
Required Gems: (1) 2 carat garnett (1) 1 carat onyx
P.P.E. Construction Cost: 475
Activation Cost: 24 P.P.E.
Construction Time: 48 hours
Construction Cost: 10,750 Cr

The device can be quite deadly escially if its unleashed at a time whne the target is most vulnerable. The hardest part after making the device is finding the target's location and identity, which can be easily remdied with a good scout or even a radio tuned to the target's band frequency.

Just wondering how exactly does this thing fly at 360 mph and become immune to everything while en route to its target? Also, why settle for meteor when you could use annihilate? Or use meteor and annihilate. Meteor for blast radius and annihilate for damage?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

Crazy Lou
Hero

I like the Annihilate GB idea. But rather than deal with 200 tiny fletchette sized stones in the casing, you'd just have to convert the gun itself. It creates its own magic ammo so each little fletchette is converted to an annihilate spell. So that'd be 4D4x10,000 MD :D It take a monsterous ammount of PPE to recharge that thing but w/ a payload of 1000 shots doing 4D4x10,000 MD it'll be a really really long time before that's necessary. While we're at it, why not give the rest of the GB some enhancements too? Perhaps invulnerability? Sustain? Deathword in the loudspeaker? Targeted Deflection? Maybe give the BG speed weapon too? (that's 4 effects on the PA and 2 on the weapon -- that's legal, heck the "Mystic Power Armor" in the back of the TW section of Rifts RPG had well over 10 effects, but it's made of crystal I guess). Oh yeah, and lastly, why not convert the mini nuclear reactor to fuel all that stuff, so you never have to reload the gun, and all those effects have unlimited duration and can be used on demand. All that'd take to make work is to convert the rest of the PA to be powered by that too (and power conversions to PPE aren't even supposed to be that hard).

The result: A piece of PA that's invulnerable to energy, cold, disease, poisons, toxins, gases and drugs (so you now have double environmental protection), gives bonuses of +10 vs magic, psionics, and HF, that you can stay in for months at a time that does 40,000 - 160,000 MD per main attack, has unlimited payload, has (at a 15th lvl pilot) 28 attacks per melee round w/ the gun (and doesn't dodge when rooted and shooting anyway -- and if he has boxing) and reflects most ranged attacks right back w/o even getting hit! Finally you have a awesomely destructive weapon agains groups of enemies that does a lot of damage and lays them all out to shoot as you please. You could take out hundreds just with one use. Then if you just make a TW amulet or something that has SN Speed and Strength, and plug that into the TW reactor too, you don't have to worry about muscle deterioration b/c your muscles are magically maintained, and you never fatigue either (don't have to sleep), and you get more combat bonuses too.

Finally you have to remember that the four TW functions per body armor, PA, or Robot vehicle is just silly when you think about it and is purely there for game ballance (which is exactly what this thread is trying hard to destroy). So really I could also add stuff like null sphere (w/ invincible armor as a secondary spell to make it regenerate and have you only take 1/2 damage from whatever does get to you), teleport superior, magic net & CoA (for when you don't want to utterly destroy the enemy), the list goes on for a while since most of those things wouldn't take much space and powering it isn't an issue w/ the converted reactor.

Oh yeah, and device level is 15.
Market cost: priceless.
Sorry I didn't work out spell chains or anything, but what's here right now took far more time than I really had anyway.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Crazy Lou wrote:I like the Annihilate GB idea. But rather than deal with 200 tiny fletchette sized stones in the casing, you'd just have to convert the gun itself. It creates its own magic ammo so each little fletchette is converted to an annihilate spell. So that'd be 4D4x10,000 MD :D It take a monsterous ammount of PPE to recharge that thing but w/ a payload of 1000 shots doing 4D4x10,000 MD it'll be a really really long time before that's necessary. While we're at it, why not give the rest of the GB some enhancements too? Perhaps invulnerability? Sustain? Deathword in the loudspeaker? Targeted Deflection? Maybe give the BG speed weapon too? (that's 4 effects on the PA and 2 on the weapon -- that's legal, heck the "Mystic Power Armor" in the back of the TW section of Rifts RPG had well over 10 effects, but it's made of crystal I guess). Oh yeah, and lastly, why not convert the mini nuclear reactor to fuel all that stuff, so you never have to reload the gun, and all those effects have unlimited duration and can be used on demand. All that'd take to make work is to convert the rest of the PA to be powered by that too (and power conversions to PPE aren't even supposed to be that hard).

The result: A piece of PA that's invulnerable to energy, cold, disease, poisons, toxins, gases and drugs (so you now have double environmental protection), gives bonuses of +10 vs magic, psionics, and HF, that you can stay in for months at a time that does 40,000 - 160,000 MD per main attack, has unlimited payload, has (at a 15th lvl pilot) 28 attacks per melee round w/ the gun (and doesn't dodge when rooted and shooting anyway -- and if he has boxing) and reflects most ranged attacks right back w/o even getting hit! Finally you have a awesomely destructive weapon agains groups of enemies that does a lot of damage and lays them all out to shoot as you please. You could take out hundreds just with one use. Then if you just make a TW amulet or something that has SN Speed and Strength, and plug that into the TW reactor too, you don't have to worry about muscle deterioration b/c your muscles are magically maintained, and you never fatigue either (don't have to sleep), and you get more combat bonuses too.

Finally you have to remember that the four TW functions per body armor, PA, or Robot vehicle is just silly when you think about it and is purely there for game ballance (which is exactly what this thread is trying hard to destroy). So really I could also add stuff like null sphere (w/ invincible armor as a secondary spell to make it regenerate and have you only take 1/2 damage from whatever does get to you), teleport superior, magic net & CoA (for when you don't want to utterly destroy the enemy), the list goes on for a while since most of those things wouldn't take much space and powering it isn't an issue w/ the converted reactor.

Oh yeah, and device level is 15.
Market cost: priceless.
Sorry I didn't work out spell chains or anything, but what's here right now took far more time than I really had anyway.
Oscar. Mike. Foxtrot. Golf.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

teulisch
Explorer

Unread post by teulisch »

Bionic Augmentation Exoskeleton:

the B.A.E. is an exoskeleton armor designed for use by a partial-conversion borg. It provides a bonus to PS and speed, and counts as robotic strength. Overall, the framework has the durability of heavy borg armor. It also has its own nuclear power supply, which can plug into a variety of weapons systems via an e-clip adaptor. May include an integral jetpack as well.

the GBAE, or glitte version, is a GB laser-resistant armor varient.

This is simply the idea of the Triax and CS human exoskeleton armors taken to the next level. It is a bit expensive.

A FBAE exists for full-conversion borgs. drawing on the borg's internal power, it is cheaper for its lack of its own power supply. its main advantage is that it allows for super-heavy armor combined with unrestricted movement.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Adjustable head knobs for Crazies. Turn clockwise for more strength and less speed, and vice versa. Turn the next knob for PP vs PE. Pressing the third knob doubles all psionic powers, but cuts all physical bonuses in half... You get the idea.

Let's you adjust your settings based on the occasion.

Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Mack wrote:Adjustable head knobs for Crazies. Turn clockwise for more strength and less speed, and vice versa. Turn the next knob for PP vs PE. Pressing the third knob doubles all psionic powers, but cuts all physical bonuses in half... You get the idea.

Let's you adjust your settings based on the occasion.

I just got a mental image of a Crazy on the back of another Crazy, revving he head knobs like the throttle on a motorcycle...
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Erin Tarn writing a well-researched and impartial book that doesn't revolve around herself.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Hotrod wrote:Erin Tarn writing a well-researched and impartial book that doesn't revolve around herself.
:thwak:

Kinda funny, but you still deserve a good :thwak:

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

cornholioprime wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Erin Tarn writing a well-researched and impartial book that doesn't revolve around herself.
:thwak:

Kinda funny, but you still deserve a good :thwak:

Oh come on, compared to some of the rants I've had against her in these forums, that little one-liner was very tame. I still say the most fitting actress to portray her would be Jane Fonda.

I'd write more, but I'll save it for my "Death to Erin Tarn" 500th post spectacular.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Crazy Lou
Hero

How about one of those steam powered TW borgs mentioned in the description? That'd be interesting, although hardly munchy.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Crazy Lou wrote:How about one of those steam powered TW borgs mentioned in the description? That'd be interesting, although hardly munchy.
:?

Crazy Lou
Hero

cornholioprime wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:How about one of those steam powered TW borgs mentioned in the description? That'd be interesting, although hardly munchy.
:?

Somewhere (I don't have time to find it right now) there's a mention that all full conversion borgs have a little nuclear battery and the only way you'd find something like a steam powered borg (or some other older power source) would be if some crazy TW cooked one up someday (but they never have). I was just saying that it might be cool to see something like that even though it's hardly practical or powerful.

Return to “Rifts®”