My CA-1 Armor Costume Shipped to the Hotel Today

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: My CA-1 Armor Costume Shipped to the Hotel Today

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Joe Bergmans wrote:Well, it's out the door and on the way to the hotel. After eight months of work and over $500 in expenses I'm thankful that it is coming to a conclusion. This is my first endeavor after 15 years of being dormant. I want to thank God that I finally finished it, though I am still finalizing the C-18, Vibroblade and the leather belts and pouches. But I have to marvel at the support of all of my friends that have patiently stood by the sidelines as I've reached the finish line. My friend Jon who spent several hours with the circular sander and showed me the basics of fiberglass work, Mike who kindly shot some great camcorder footage in case UPS loses everything, Matt my nephew that I have every other weekend for his patience and help with some pouches (we'll be back on the paintball field again soon), my parents who allowed me to paint it all at their home and Sonia, Tina, Kay and Michelle for your encouragement. And then two very important people - my grandmother who always believed I could pull off anything, and Kevin Siembieda, the first outsider to really tell a young man that you have some skill at this (THANKS!) All major components are finished, electronics package checked and all nick-nacks should be ready by the 5th. Wearing it isn't too bad either. So that leaves just one question: Who is my competition for the Dead Boy suit? I'm very curious :)

That sounds like, quite possibly, the coolest thing I've ever heard. :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

F****NG eh man. I think you will blow the competition away.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

There had better be pictures!!
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Im bringing my camera, Kudos to you sir!
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Reddenedone wrote:There had better be pictures!!

I second this. Alas, yet again I simply cant afford to attend. But I'd -love- to see pictures of that suit.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

If you don't mind me asking, how much did shipping it cost?

I'm looking at shipping my Wolfen legionnaire plate armor, helmet, tower shield, sword, cape, tunic, bracers, gauntlets, mask, and all that good stuff to the hotel, and if I'm gonna do it, I've got to do it ASAP to ensure it gets there in time. The shield itself is nearly 10 feet edgewise, and being made of steel, the whole costume weighs well over 50 pounds - both oversize and overweight for checked baggage! Super expensive to fly with :-/

We totally need to get a photo together in costume, shaking hands like the Wolfen and CS Dogboy from Kevin's drawing. (Yes, I know you're not being a dogboy, but still).
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

I can't wait to see this!!!!

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Joe Bergmans: Thanks for the info! Sounds like I'll definitely be shipping - that's cheaper than I had feared. Now I just have to go buy a 9 cubic foot box. Rumor has it somebody is coming as a Splugorth Slave Barge - that could be impressive, indeed!

hippie_mama: Don't be self-conscious! The trick is to have a good time, whether costumed or not. If some of us are a bit obsessive, thank your chosen power that YOU, at least, still have your sanity :-P Oh, and I'll be happy to have a photo taken with you.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Joe Bergmans wrote:Lionheart, you are definately the one I am watching :) All of my friends are wondering about the other potential Coalition soldier - but he/she has yet to materialize from the shadows...

I might know who that would have been. Unfortunately, it ended up being too time and cash-intensive for them to pull off. However, they do have an awesome back-up costume in the works. :)

As for me, I can't afford the replicas or suit that I wanted, so I can't do what I wanted to. :-(

However, I might try and pull off something just so there's a decent showing of competitors (including some non-Rifts stuff). :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

WOW

I can't wait to see the hopefully tons of pictures of the Costume Contest.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Preacher wrote:WOW

I can't wait to see the hopefully tons of pictures of the Costume Contest.

Me too :-P

I'll be in the contest, but I don't know that I"ll be able to see very well. I wear glasses normally, and I'm not sure if it will be practical for me to keep them on under the Wolfen mask. Either they'll be a bit foggy, or I'll end up mostly blind :-D

Definitely need photos!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I am going as an overweight hispanic gamer. Its gonna be tough, but I think I can make the costume look authentic.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Re: My CA-1 Armor Costume Shipped to the Hotel Today

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Joe Bergmans wrote:Well, it's out the door and on the way to the hotel. After eight months of work and over $500 in expenses I'm thankful that it is coming to a conclusion. This is my first endeavor after 15 years of being dormant. I want to thank God that I finally finished it, though I am still finalizing the C-18, Vibroblade and the leather belts and pouches. But I have to marvel at the support of all of my friends that have patiently stood by the sidelines as I've reached the finish line. My friend Jon who spent several hours with the circular sander and showed me the basics of fiberglass work, Mike who kindly shot some great camcorder footage in case UPS loses everything, Matt my nephew that I have every other weekend for his patience and help with some pouches (we'll be back on the paintball field again soon), my parents who allowed me to paint it all at their home and Sonia, Tina, Kay and Michelle for your encouragement. And then two very important people - my grandmother who always believed I could pull off anything, and Kevin Siembieda, the first outsider to really tell a young man that you have some skill at this (THANKS!) All major components are finished, electronics package checked and all nick-nacks should be ready by the 5th. Wearing it isn't too bad either. So that leaves just one question: Who is my competition for the Dead Boy suit? I'm very curious :)

You're my hero! This is something I have wanted to see for a long time. Be prepared for some major photo ops!

This Open house is going to rock!!

Carl
ImageImage
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

The Deific NMI wrote:I am going as an overweight hispanic gamer. Its gonna be tough, but I think I can make the costume look authentic.

ROFL

Ahh.. I hate you people.

Well ok not really it's just jealousy.

Seriously makes me wish I could go. These costumes sound totally awesome. Curse you lack of sufficient monetary resources! CURSE YOU!!!!
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The Deific NMI wrote:I am going as an overweight hispanic gamer. Its gonna be tough, but I think I can make the costume look authentic.

Im going as the chunky white doughboy, who games and has a gotee
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello!

Greyaxe wrote:

Ah, frell...now I have to come up with something else.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

You know I bet anyone could make a pretty decent Original Juicer costume pretty cheap. The drug lines would be easy and you could get the plate armor from any place that sells paintball supplies. The hard part would be the Juicer Rifle. Muscles and a mohawk are optional and could be overcome with BDU's and the MOH from the Original Main book.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Preacher wrote:You know I bet anyone could make a pretty decent Original Juicer costume pretty cheap. The drug lines would be easy and you could get the plate armor from any place that sells paintball supplies. The hard part would be the Juicer Rifle. Muscles and a mohawk are optional and could be overcome with BDU's and the MOH from the Original Main book.

maybe you can go as a detoxed juicer.....
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Preacher
Hero

rat_bastard wrote:
Preacher wrote:You know I bet anyone could make a pretty decent Original Juicer costume pretty cheap. The drug lines would be easy and you could get the plate armor from any place that sells paintball supplies. The hard part would be the Juicer Rifle. Muscles and a mohawk are optional and could be overcome with BDU's and the MOH from the Original Main book.

maybe you can go as a detoxed juicer.....

Not Going... :(
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Got my stuff shipped today. Thank goodness for Fed-Ex. Delivering to a business location, my 12 cubic foot box (ended up bigger than I expected) weighing nearly 60 pounds cost only $62. That's a big relief to me, as I was getting scared the cost of travelling with the gear was going to eliminate my entire book budget.

It's also awesome, because it starts making the Open House feel like it's real, and has already begun. Now I just need to take next weekend to finish polishing character sheets and adventure info, and plan my gaming schedule, and I'm good to go.

Woot!
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

I'm going as a 6' tall, 300lbs, dressed all in black gamer who may or may not need to have shaved a week ago. :?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

myheadhurts wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:I'm going as a 6' tall, 300lbs, dressed all in black gamer who may or may not need to have shaved a week ago. :?

you better shower before the event

Err... Kinda planned on that, why? :?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Nxla666 wrote:
myheadhurts wrote:you better shower before the event

I think it was based on the fact that, sadly, many of the unshaven 300 pound gamer types at conventions seem to forget to shower, hence the notorious "gamer funk."

Fortunately, the gamers at the POH last year seemed free of funk. Hopefully that'll continue this year :-)
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Re: lol

bob the desolate one wrote:me and Nxla666 have the exact same costume :lol:

When can we expect the duel to the death? I'll try to squeeze it in between games.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..Well, I was the competition, but as Warwolf said, the cost and time got the best of me. Still, my friend and I plan to spend the next year working on building a set of molds to build fiberglass suits en mass for next year; I can't wait to see your suit and ask how it cost so much; we've priced the materials much lower than that...

..In fact, if we took our cost up by a mere 40%, which would still leave us far below the $500 you say you spent, we could actually make the suit out of Kevlar...

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

J. Lionheart wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:
myheadhurts wrote:you better shower before the event

I think it was based on the fact that, sadly, many of the unshaven 300 pound gamer types at conventions seem to forget to shower, hence the notorious "gamer funk."

Fortunately, the gamers at the POH last year seemed free of funk. Hopefully that'll continue this year :-)

OH, yeah. :shock:

Its been a long time since the last time I went to a convention so I kinda forgot that. :lol:

The unshaven part is more the fact I dont like sharp objects near my throat. :?
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

Well, I know my buddy Morgan will be there, from Michigan Cosplayers Society, and you'll definitely want to chat with him about costuming.

And speaking of photos...

If this guy's outfit is as good as it sounds, he won't be straying more than 10 yards from the Freelance Artists who'll want photos for reference material.
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Re: Scribblings of a Madman

Joe Bergmans wrote:Yes, I am hoping for a lot of photo ops - as many as I can get. That along with some really great information on everything from costuming to miniature resin molding. Before I forget though, there is one great shot that I want to get. I want to have a shot of my suit from the backside with a poorly written sign taped to the butt-plate that says 'Coalition Sucks' on it in the background as everyone who came dressed as D-Bees and other adventurers are laughing and covering their mouths in the foreground. That will be classic.
Regarding the reference material, I just copied 32 pages of my engineering notes from the last eight months (and it still wound up being a rush job). Mike and Ninjabunny were right - this type of project needs at least close to 18 to 24 months.

I'm up for the sign ::grins::

Down with the humans!

Heh, maybe if they do this again next year, I can find a way to add an extra pair of arms to my Wolfen from this year, and come as a Wolfen Quatoria from RIFTS :-P Replace the sword belt with a gun belt, and be flexible for both systems!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

well, if there is ever another open house, I'm totally going to go in costume, at least for a little bit.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Greyaxe wrote:

I'm going as the bigger version of this...the fat white doughboy who games and has a goat.

/Sub

P.S. I might go as a Crazy
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Yaknow, I was thinking about making a costume out of foam, cardboard, and plastic, but I think I'd have looked pathetic next to this.

I'm hoping that I can buy one next year. Maybe we could form our own version of the 501st!

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador

Chello!

I was looking through my WW2 soviet reenactment stuff and thinking about trying to put together a Sovietsky uniform, but decided not to...not enough time to come up with anything good...considering that there will be Wolfen and Deadboys.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0

+425 Movie Geek Points!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Lord_Dalgard wrote:Chello!

I was looking through my WW2 soviet reenactment stuff and thinking about trying to put together a Sovietsky uniform, but decided not to...not enough time to come up with anything good...considering that there will be Wolfen and Deadboys.

Tony

Don't let that discourage you! The costumes are about having fun and dressing up as PB characters. The more, the merrier! Think of the photo ops!

Return to “Palladium Open House”