Legendary Glitter Boys, been done?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Juankis
Wanderer

Legendary Glitter Boys, been done?

Unread post by Juankis »

Here is an idea for a possible Rifter article I'm thinking, but I want to see first if something like this has been covered before.

Glitter Boys have a rich and colorful history in the Rifts Earth, with some suit having served humanity for over 300 years, supposedly they have hundreds of related legends, yet they are mostly all the same.
I believe that over the years, more than one particular suit, would have risen above and beyond all others, with distinguishing heraldry and modifications performed by the stream of heroes who owned in turn each of the suits of power armor.
I plan on writing the article on around 4-6 unique suits of GB power armor, with some related story/legends associated with the suit, any distinguishing features and quirks the armor may have developed over the centuries, add an awe/horror factor to such legendary suits, as well as possible adventure ideas/hooks.

So, any opinions?, comments? threats? etc.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

DO it. Sounds like an interesting idea that might be fun to role play through
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Sounds interesting.

I have a few ideas and such for custom GBs, from modifications to alternate ammo types to specialized if not tricky special maneuvers passed down from parent to child.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Very interesting.

What about Glitterboys that have been exposed to the mystic energies unleased by 300 years of constant post cataclysmic combat? Might some of them have picked up a modifiation that can't be expained by engineers?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Jefffar wrote: Might some of them have picked up a modifiation that can't be expained by engineers?

Or sentient thought..
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Or perhaps something like a basic self-recharging/regenerating version of Armor of Ithan.

Another another odd idea, an ambient mystic energy that affects the flechette rounds when the gun discharges, giving the flechettes some sort of edge over one or more types of magical or supernatural critters.

Heck, maybe it has the innate ability to counter/dispel ANY magic spell cast on it (be it good or bad, although some spells that create another type of energy first, sich as Call Lightning, might still do damage, while CoA or Energy Disruption just don't seem to have any effect)

Or a spinoff of the sentient though idea, perhaps it actually houses a spirit of some sort...
"Er... Dude... why is your Glitterboy trying to put on a cowboy hat? In matter of fact, why is it even moving around on its own?"
It is hard being alone.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Ninjabunny wrote:
R Ditto wrote:Or a spinoff of the sentient though idea, perhaps it actually houses a spirit of some sort...
"Er... Dude... why is your Glitterboy trying to put on a cowboy hat? In matter of fact, why is it even moving around on its own?"

That would be great. What if the spirt was one of the orginal nema pilots?
i dont think that suit would have lasted that long then
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
atkindave
Explorer

Unread post by atkindave »

These last few posts have me thinking of old Steven King stories.

Glitter boy suit named "Christine."

Moves around on its own, slaying those that poke fun at its (current) pilot, usually without his say-so.

"Ain't nothin' smells better than that new glitterboy smell. 'Cept maybe a..."
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Hay, this sounds cool! Do it! Hope to see some on the site or in a Rifter!
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

sHaka wrote:
Jefffar wrote: Might some of them have picked up a modifiation that can't be expained by engineers?

Or sentient thought..

Exactly what I was thinking. This is a very good idea, certainly Rifter worthy. You should work on it and send it in. I would buy that Rifter.

I can't say I had ever really thought of it before. Not jut legendary GB pilots but legendary GB suits. They would have names of course. Things like Big Ben, Ole Bucket, Betsy, and so forth. Really almost anyting would be believable. Heck in my unit we have a M1 named and please don't flame me over this but we have a tank called "Canook Killer". I'm not really sure why or what the story is behind it but that's it's name.

Sentient thought...so many different variables to consider how a USA-G10 could become sentient. Centuries of exposure to the Rifts, TW modifactions, spell enchantments, even something like how Archie 3 became sentient. If the AI built into the suit in the first place was advanced enough, it could be possible for it to develope beyond it's original programming. Going that route I highly recommend reading a series of books called "Bolo!" about giant tanks that house a advanced AI to better help their commanders fight. Another good series would be the "Dahak" series by David Weber. In there too you will find AIs that became fully aware by accident rather then design and wish to help their human creators fight their enemies.

Yes I certainly can see the potential for a Rifter article here. Good thinking!
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

R Ditto wrote:Or perhaps something like a basic self-recharging/regenerating version of Armor of Ithan.

Another another odd idea, an ambient mystic energy that affects the flechette rounds when the gun discharges, giving the flechettes some sort of edge over one or more types of magical or supernatural critters.

Heck, maybe it has the innate ability to counter/dispel ANY magic spell cast on it (be it good or bad, although some spells that create another type of energy first, sich as Call Lightning, might still do damage, while CoA or Energy Disruption just don't seem to have any effect)

To expand upon your ideas, perhaps a suit that doesn't run out of ammo? Or never suffers a system failure? I can tell you that more then a few soldiers are supersitious for lack of a better word. Even though most want admit it or express it as such we do have our little "rituals" and "lucky" gear. It is very natural for us to assign personalities to our vehicles and gear but I am getting away form the point though. My point is that we tend to ascribe certain vehicles with specific abilities or tendencies. Things like "D21 never has batteries go dead" or "D22's comm system is down again? Yeah like That's new..."

This is kindy of getting in to the area of "Perception is Reality". If you were to attribute certain qualities to an inanimate object long enough, seen it do or have the quality often enough, your's and everyone else's perception of it would change reality and make it so your perception was in fact real.

RainOfSteel wrote:

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

How 'bout including two tables: One for mundane modifications and one for techno-wizard/magical modifications, so that people can build their own too?
"I have to applaud you for doing all that math :D" - Nekira Sudacne
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Necrite wrote:How 'bout including two tables: One for mundane modifications and one for techno-wizard/magical modifications, so that people can build their own too?

I suppose it would make sense to have some tables for the GMs to be able to create their own "Legendary" suits to fit their campaigns. Good suggestion! :ok:

RainOfSteel wrote:

jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I have a GB Pilot whose family and GB date back to the time before rifts in a game that just started up.

USA-G10 Chromium Guardsman (Serial Number: K84-8458-26) is painted Glossy black with silver tiger stripes, and has the families coat of arms on the left side of the chest.

Also few modifications were a set of vibro claws built into the arms (lost the boom gun, and didn't get a replacement for 50 yrs some time back), just recently a mini-missile launcher was added to the left shoulder.

I also picked the following skills (which a GB pilot descended from a line of GB pilots would have as OCC skills)
Lore: Chromium Guardsman
History Post Apocalypse
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

"Computer; Fire on Target 23A"
"I can't do that Dave"

I like the idea, obviously, though I wouldn't go to overboard. Even after 10+years of new books the GB is still a beast to watch out for.

And the way I see it, about 1/4 of the glitter boys you see were once NEMA, after all the only people that make them is Free Quebec, Japan, and Triax.
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Sounds like a good idea, Juankis. You could even go into families that have carried on the tradition down the generations with a limited number of Glitter Boys at their disposal.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
R Ditto
Hero

Unread post by R Ditto »

Mech-Viper wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
R Ditto wrote:Or a spinoff of the sentient though idea, perhaps it actually houses a spirit of some sort...

Why not?
I'm sure that some Nema pilots actually were good, perhaps having a knack for staying alive against even great odds by doing more than just running and gunning. Like the ones who throw out the book and think of their feet, knowing that protocol and going by the book will just get them and others killed a whole lot faster due to no longer fighting with "conventional" warfare.

Toc Rat wrote:
R Ditto wrote:Or perhaps something like a basic self-recharging/regenerating version of Armor of Ithan.

To expand upon your ideas, perhaps a suit that doesn't run out of ammo? Or never suffers a system failure?

Perhaps the weapon devleoped a sort of super TK gun, allowing it to fire of potent blasts of TK energy, making it a silent and lethal weapon... the targeting computer/multi-function displays having develop a new "option" for selelcting the other firing mode, or worse, perhaps a mode that also discharges TK energy with a regular shot, allowing it to hit a lot harder at a lot longer range.
Just have to figure out how much "TK ammo" it gets, and how fast it recharges (with recharging being faster near a ley line, or really fast on a nexus point)

For systems that never fail, maybe the ammo feed, if it gets broken, strangely doesn't spill any ammo and pulls itself back together.
Or maybe the pylons always anchor, even if the GB is standing on something made of some really strong MDC material.
Or perhaps the optics system sees a lot "more" than it should... like an "option" that can display invisible targets, or worse, display active magic sources... imagine the shock of someone that hides with Invisibility Superior, they come under fire when the GB notices the humanoid shaped active magic enegy field (the spell) 'behind' a tree...

Toc Rat wrote: I can tell you that more then a few soldiers are supersitious for lack of a better word. Even though most want admit it or express it as such we do have our little "rituals" and "lucky" gear. It is very natural for us to assign personalities to our vehicles and gear but I am getting away form the point though. My point is that we tend to ascribe certain vehicles with specific abilities or tendencies. Things like "D21 never has batteries go dead" or "D22's comm system is down again? Yeah like That's new..."

This is kindy of getting in to the area of "Perception is Reality". If you were to attribute certain qualities to an inanimate object long enough, seen it do or have the quality often enough, your's and everyone else's perception of it would change reality and make it so your perception was in fact real.

Here's a crazy idea, someone finds a GB with a pink rabbit's foot in it... they find out the GB seems to act funny at times if the rabbit's foot is not in (or on) the GB, but when it is present, the GB never is hit by critical damage that disables/damages internal systems.

Or perhaps a GB with some sort of Karma ability. The more good and just the pilot, the more effective the GB seems to operate. If in the hands of a dirty scoundral, it seems to perform very poorly, perhaps with crital hits causing stuff that affects the pilot, like wiring exploding in a shower of sparks, or life support failing (meaning they have to open the GB up to breathe), or even some or all of the optics getting knocked out from some glancing blow to the head of the GB that otherwise shouldn't have caused such a problem.

And, and a spin off of what Toc Rat mentioned, maybe the GB was one of a few prototypes that were equipped with an advanced AI meant not just to assist the pilot, but to also be able to control the GB should the pilot be knocked out, or even if the pilot is out of the GB when someone attacks. It would be a guard dog that never sleeps...
or to get really crazy, also similar to what Toc Rat said, it goes beyond its programing, perhaps developing its own personality... which could make things odd if the AI had a crush on someone, or would never shut up, or was nagging, or just plain loves action and blowing things up.

Heck, maybe a self aware GB of this type is able to secure a trusted operator who "guts" it (it doesn't need a pilot) and adds in a more solid structure, an extra layer of armor on the inside, stronger/bigger/more actuators/artificial muscles, making it a lot more faster and stronge than a regular GB. Heck, even have a larger nuke power source, allowing it to pack a few high powered energy weapons, or even use some internal space to store even more ammo, put big weapons in the arms, etc.

Esckey wrote:"Computer; Fire on Target 23A"
"I can't do that Dave"

How about
"Computer; Fire on Target 23A"
The computer replies in female voice with texan/red neck accent "Right away, sweety *BOOM* we'll blow that there target *BOOM* to itty bitty little pieces! *BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM* Wheee! Look at all the bits and pieces flying!"

Or a vagabond steals a GB while the pilot is sick from eating to much chocolate, and GB goes yelling "Help! I'm being botjacked!" as the vagabond tries to make his escape.
It is hard being alone.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

R Ditto wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:

Why not?
I'm sure that some Nema pilots actually were good, perhaps having a knack for staying alive against even great odds by doing more than just running and gunning. Like the ones who throw out the book and think of their feet, knowing that protocol and going by the book will just get them and others killed a whole lot faster due to no longer fighting with "conventional" warfare.
please dont get me started on NEMA, Military chrome guardman would stand a better chance then the clowns of the Fools of NEMA
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Dead Boy wrote:You could even go into families that have carried on the tradition down the generations with a limited number of Glitter Boys at their disposal.

I'm willing to post my current GB's family history, just haven't typed it out yet...
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Esckey wrote: . . .after all the only people that make them is Free Quebec, Japan, and Triax.
and the Orbitals and the Silver River Republics . . .

I think some of y'all are over estimating the impact the spirit in the machine may have. It would probably appear as quirks and idiocentrcitis that defy mechanical explanation.

For example a glitterboy that remains stable when firing the boom gun despite the recoil pylons being rendered inoperable by damage years ago. Or a glitterboy that gets to reroll all 1s when in combat with demons. Or a gltterboy that can deliver the equivalent of a Blinding Flash spell to anyone looking at it during daylight hours.

Little stuff that can mean a lot at the right time, but otherwise is something that can be ignored.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Thanks ofr all the ideas guys, I will have to find a balance and not go over the top with the GB, rigt now, in woking on definig the various categories for legendary traits.
So far I've got:
- Legacies: Traits concerning the legendary past of the GB, mostly pyschological effects for either the operator, adversaries or allies.
- Psi/Magic Abnormalities: TW or psichic modifications or imprinting, magial mutations caused by extended periods of exposure to ley lines and similar effects.
- Bizarre: The really odd stuff, suits haunted by the memories of its previous owner(s), posessed or other strange effects.
- Quirks: odd quirks that make the pilot's life interesting

The suit would get a different number of traits based on the amount of time it has remained in service. At this point im unsure how to go about this, but I'm leaning towards a random number of points based on the units age.
I'll keep you guys posted on any further developments.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hmmm...I'll have tp revisit my Haunted Vehicle construction tables and create a few haunted Glitterboys and other NEMA vehicles....

"Mental Replay" of various violent incidents in the Glitterboy's service past might be a good aspect of a 'haunted' Glitterboy, especially one that's been salvaged and rebuilt(after the remains of the last pilot were hosed out).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Personally i kinda like the idea of a ghost infested glitterboy, from time to time protecting the pilot ( kinda like DC comics haunted tank, and a warlock marine power armor)

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Jefffar wrote:Very interesting.

What about Glitterboys that have been exposed to the mystic energies unleased by 300 years of constant post cataclysmic combat? Might some of them have picked up a modifiation that can't be expained by engineers?

Kinda like Living Magics from TTGD?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
R Ditto
Hero

Unread post by R Ditto »

Ninjabunny wrote:TTGD? whats that? :?

I think it means "Through the Glass Darkly" or something like that, basically a book from Nightbane IIRC.
It is hard being alone.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

You know this can easy include other pre-rifts robot vechiles or power armor.

ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

How about.....

Tectonic Entity Possessed GB
my TW GB Sniper (Globe of Silence, Chameleon, and Eyes of an Eagle, if needed)
A Samurai GB, a pilot who's modified the suit to look more like an ancient samurai (since it looks like a Knight already)
Demon GB, something akin to the Rifts logo picture

just to name a few ideas.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
taalismn
Priest

ApocalypseZero wrote:How about.....

Tectonic Entity Possessed GB
my TW GB Sniper (Globe of Silence, Chameleon, and Eyes of an Eagle, if needed)
A Samurai GB, a pilot who's modified the suit to look more like an ancient samurai (since it looks like a Knight already)
Demon GB, something akin to the Rifts logo picture

just to name a few ideas.

Go for it!

Maybe a customized uber-sized motocycle prototype for more rapid Glitterboy movement?

The Double-Barreled Boomstick/BoomGun?

The Dwarven Glitterboy knockoff said to exist somewhere?

The insect-motif Glitterboy with stagbeetle head and back carapace plates?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

In my game I have another pwer who makes GBs. And they have a number of variations. They are presently working on USA GB-18.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

wouldnt the space colonies still call the glitterboys by the "Chroium Guardsman" name instead of glitterboy

ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

Another option, but could get messy. 1000 Rounds of Boom Gun ammo to enchant, and then load so that you can choose which round fires. Possible, but I'd think the Ammo Drum would need re-worked. Which, would fit perfectly for the Insect idea, making the Carapace a new Ammo Drum.

After that, you would have to look up Arrowheads for specific Round Enchantments. Of course, does there need to be Paralsyis: Lesser (or other spell) after a 3D6x10 M.D. hit? Might sound good, but be a little redundant. Now, a Boom Gun shooting Magic Net Rounds so close in targets can capture and secure. Interesting.....I think New Lazlo has a new tool.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Also could have a old NEMA protoype weapon that actually has a real electromagnetic gun. No recoil, no noise involved in the firing, the damage is alot greater. But it can be a drain on the energy system. Making it take a few seconds before shots to recharge the battery banks or tax the overall system, that the nuke power supply has to be replaced in months versus years.

in a setting with handheld particle beam, laser, and ion weapons, why would an electromagnetic (IE: partical beam) weapon have those issues?

or did you mean an EMP device? (which would be omni-directional, and useless against most rifts hardware. most electronic hardware in vehicles is sheilded against EM interferance today, and you'd need one huge powerful pulse to overcome it. military gear is sheilded against EMP today, and RIFTS stuff would be little different.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Glitterboy w/ micro-aerial drone shoulder rack, so it can carry its own forward spotter...

Or rebuild a Kittani Equine power armor with glitterchrome armor for the Silver Centaur!

Sorry...I'm having an attack of (koff, koff) munchkinitis....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

darkmax wrote:Sounds like Gundam to me.... or may be someone should put multiple BITS on a GB and let them be his/her multiple angle assault/defense units

NEMA MIGHT have experimented with deploying Pup and Mini-Spider recon 'bots attached to a Glitterboy, but as I recall, I don't think the Chromium Guardsman OCC allows for Command Robots, does it?
Still, such a concept would be in keeping with this thread...And later generations of Glitterboy 'clans'(for some reason, I keep thinking of a giant chrome-plated Bobba Fett) with the money might have experimented with deploying their armors accompanied by retinues of simpleton robots like the NG labor robots as skirmishers and extra ablative cannon-fodder.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Love the ideals!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Ninjabunny wrote:TTGD? whats that? :?

Yes, it means Though the Glass Darkly, and yes, it's a Nightbane book. HOWEVER, it's a book that gives good, solid magical background and rules applicable to all palladiums games, including rules about how over time, magic can take on a life and body of it's own.

Living magics can simply be an item exposed to so much magic it naturally gains some supernatural qualities, and sometimes a spell becomes alive and actually forms a physical body, becoming a real, sentiant being that's the embodyment of whatever purpose the spell is. They give exsample of a Mend the Broken spell that took the form of an old lady who's constantly trying to fix things, a Restoration Spell that became a preist who not only preaches to the masses, but uses the PPE in mass worship sessions to actually preform various "miricles" of healing and exorsiem (as per the spells of that name), and a Close Rift spell that's obessed with patching holes, any holes. and always shuts the door behind him :D

Those are just some exsamples, but it's possible for a spell to become a real, living being, and in some cases they don't even know they ARE a spell made flesh, but come into being with inhernt knowlage and skills as a whole person. When an item or object becomes a "living magic", it gains some level of sentiance and to a degree can control what kind of person can use it. In any case, low level spells and enchantments will only result in simple living magics who are kinda retarded and only interested in what the spells purpose is. Other, higher level spells (like the restoration) have related magical abilities similar to the spells they are, and have complete personalties, memories, skills, and goals (though always related to what they are).
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Ok heres My Idea

"The Pretty Pink Princess"

This legendary Glitterboy was originally owned by a member
of the California National guard named Mercedes Lee. The
guard in california had grown complacent and she was able
to make several alterations to her personal mech that were against
protocol. She Spraypainted the glitterboy brit pink altered the
voice system to match her own and programed it to play cheesy
pop music that she liked. When the world went insane in the dark
ages Mercedes found her inner courage. She successfully lead the
beragled survivors of her home town into the relative safety of the
midwest. All the while she fought off demons at a astounding rate.
She then lead them into a small town in michigan that would later
become a part of the manqust empire. There is still a statue dedicated
to her though the people have forgotten her name. The Pretty Pink
Princess would given to the first born daughter of each descendant
of Mercedes. These descendents dedicated themselves to fighting
daemons and Magic users. Today the Pretty Pink princess is
fighting demons in Free Quebec.

The pretty pink Princess has the same standard abilitys as a normal
Glitterboy except it regenerates 1 MDC a hour, does double damage
to demons and is -2 to strike human oponits.

The pretty pink princess's sound system always makes the users
voice sound like a valley girl. Also when the Glitterboy goes into
combat mode it always plays cheesy pop music when it goes into
battle the Music gives the Armor a horror factor of 10 to demons
and absolutely no horror factor to humans.
Last edited by Prince Cherico on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL Pretty cool LC! An interesting story with an augmented GB.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

And Beyond Legendary Glitterboys, we have the Three Galaxies' manufactures...I've mentioned the Aluminized Treestump(dwarf Glitterboy), but there's also the Silver Wolfguard(Wulfen Glitterboy with slightly greater speed from the retrodigigrade legs), the Chromium Rahuman(sports four arms and twin main cannon slung from the upper shoulders, triggered by the lower two arms, and braced on the hips), and the MegaNebuloid(for the Golgan Republik's Nebuloid troops---imagine a bronzed chambered nautilus with a boomgun mounted on top---or a Glaug Officer's Pod sans arms and legs, a lot of tentacles in the front, and plated in mirror-chrome).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I'd love to see some stats on thos devices Tallismn! You could always PM with those!!!!! Please!!!!! :shock: They sound great! :)

HH....FIE
Alpha 11
Palladin

Lord Cherico wrote:Ok heres My Idea

"The Pretty Pink Princess"

This legendary Glitterboy was originally owned by a member
of the California National guard named Mercedes Lee. The
guard in california had grown complacent and she was able
to make several alterations to her personal mech that were against
protocol. She Spraypainted the glitterboy brit pink altered the
voice system to match her own and programed it to play cheesy
pop music that she liked. When the world went insane in the dark
ages Mercedes found her inner courage. She successfully lead the
beragled survivors of her home town into the relative safety of the
midwest. All the while she fought off demons at a astounding rate.
She then lead them into a small town in michigan that would later
become a part of the manqust empire. There is still a statue dedicated
to her though the people have forgotten her name. The Pretty Pink
Princess would given to the first born daughter of each descendant
of Mercedes. These descendents dedicated themselves to fighting
daemons and Magic users. Today the Pretty Pink princess is
fighting demons in Free Quebec.

The pretty pink Princess has the same standard abilitys as a normal
Glitterboy except it regenerates 1 MDC a hour, does double damage
to demons and is -2 to strike human oponits.

The pretty pink princess's sound system always makes the users
voice sound like a valley girl. Also when the Glitterboy goes into
combat mode it always plays cheesy pop music when it goes into
battle the Music gives the Armor a horror factor of 10 to demons
and absolutely no horror factor to humans.

:lol: I found it funny, but I still liked it! :lol:
taalismn
Priest

D'Artagnan----Legendary Glitter Boy
"D'Artagnan is the name given to a relic Glitterboy that has been in the service of the Justin Family for over eight generations. The old US GB was found on the outskirts of the ruins of Philadelphia by old Captain Harlan Justin on one of the first expeditions into the city as the Dark Ages were beginning to recede....The Glitterboy was half-buried in a pile of mouldering demonic skeletons, with one arm still outstretched and raised above the pile, its hand and forearm fused with a black-red rune-inscribed sword, the pilot's space pierced by a presumably fatal final blow...but no remains of the late Chromium Guardsman found within. Captain JUstin had the damaged, but still serviceable, power armor salvaged and repaired, but could not, or would not, replace the left arm and its fused addition(it's been said that replacing the entire arm would be too expensive, or would seriously compromise the structural integrity of the machine), and brought it back to his home town in Appalachia. Named after one of novellist Dumas' THree Musketeers, 'D'Artagnan was to be the first of three Glitterboys the Justin Family would eventually accumulate, and operate in the service of their community, eventually named Justinian(or Juston). D'Artagnan remains the family favorite, however, and is never sent outside the borders of the community.
Juston legend holds that the original pilot wrested the rune-blade away from its demonic wielder and turned the weapon on it and its minions, so thoroughly slaying the horde in a display of such courage and power that at the moment of his inevitable death, the brave soldier actually Ascended to heaven, leaving no body behind(others say the pilot actually FUSED with his armor and the rune weapon).
D'Artagnan is a standard GB, but the left arm has been fused in a permanent grip with a Greater Rune Weapon(Long Sword, 4d6 MD per blow, Scrupulous Alignment, with Spells Force Barrier, Sense Evil, See Auras, and Dessicate the Supernatural)...The blade, which has also been dubbed D'Artagnan, is sentient and can speak, and has told of a past of being some distant paladin of good who was enslaved by the forces of evil into a blade, and of being freed in the same battle that welded it to the Glitterboy, but the blade has been reluctant to discuss the exact details of what happened that day, especially to the late pilot.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

taalismn wrote:D'Artagnan----Legendary Glitter Boy
"D'Artagnan is the name given to a relic Glitterboy that has been in the service of the Justin Family for over eight generations. The old US GB was found on the outskirts of the ruins of Philadelphia by old Captain Harlan Justin on one of the first expeditions into the city as the Dark Ages were beginning to recede....The Glitterboy was half-buried in a pile of mouldering demonic skeletons, with one arm still outstretched and raised above the pile, its hand and forearm fused with a black-red rune-inscribed sword, the pilot's space pierced by a presumably fatal final blow...but no remains of the late Chromium Guardsman found within. Captain JUstin had the damaged, but still serviceable, power armor salvaged and repaired, but could not, or would not, replace the left arm and its fused addition(it's been said that replacing the entire arm would be too expensive, or would seriously compromise the structural integrity of the machine), and brought it back to his home town in Appalachia. Named after one of novellist Dumas' THree Musketeers, 'D'Artagnan was to be the first of three Glitterboys the Justin Family would eventually accumulate, and operate in the service of their community, eventually named Justinian(or Juston). D'Artagnan remains the family favorite, however, and is never sent outside the borders of the community.
Juston legend holds that the original pilot wrested the rune-blade away from its demonic wielder and turned the weapon on it and its minions, so thoroughly slaying the horde in a display of such courage and power that at the moment of his inevitable death, the brave soldier actually Ascended to heaven, leaving no body behind(others say the pilot actually FUSED with his armor and the rune weapon).
D'Artagnan is a standard GB, but the left arm has been fused in a permanent grip with a Greater Rune Weapon(Long Sword, 4d6 MD per blow, Scrupulous Alignment, with Spells Force Barrier, Sense Evil, See Auras, and Dessicate the Supernatural)...The blade, which has also been dubbed D'Artagnan, is sentient and can speak, and has told of a past of being some distant paladin of good who was enslaved by the forces of evil into a blade, and of being freed in the same battle that welded it to the Glitterboy, but the blade has been reluctant to discuss the exact details of what happened that day, especially to the late pilot.

Love it! Would love to hear that back story on the sword and the GB though.
taalismn
Priest

How About Glitterboy armor that doesn't simply REFLECT laser fire, but grows stronger/regenerates from it?

'Midas HUnchback'
Midas Hunchback is the name of a Glitterboy owned by the Scanlon Family, a heritage clan of Chromium Guardsmen and Operators....Midas Hunchback was originally a National Guard NEMA Glitterboy used to defend a nanotech megadamage materials laboratory/manufactory outside Detroit, that was producing MDC armor and materials for refugees taking snactuary in the complex's hardened buildings. The Glitterboy gets its name from its prolonged defense of a nanotech lab building beseiged by demonic invaders, where the power armor was forced to wallow through busted tanks of nanoassemblers that immediately began converting surrounding debris into Glitterchrome and adhering to the body of the GB. The result has been a Glitterboy grossly distorted by extra mass of armor on its forearms, legs, and upper body(add +100 MDC to arms and legs, and main body is now 900 MDC, but increase weight by 50% and reduce speed by HALF).
While the secrets of the nanoassemblers were lost with the destruction of the lab building, those nanites that colonized the GB are still active, despite early attempts to sand them off...With sufficient 'mundane' MDC materials bolted or patched on to damage, the nanites will convert the material to Glitterchrome and add it to the hull(though it will never exceed 900 MDC main body)...effectively regenerates damage at 2d6 MD an hour.
Midas Hunchback continues to serve the Scanlon Family in their mercenary duties, and as a sales promotion for the Scanlon Armor Works(sellers of Glitterboy supplies and armor stock).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

taalismn wrote:How About Glitterboy armor that doesn't simply REFLECT laser fire, but grows stronger/regenerates from it?

'Midas HUnchback'
Midas Hunchback is the name of a Glitterboy owned by the Scanlon Family, a heritage clan of Chromium Guardsmen and Operators....Midas Hunchback was originally a National Guard NEMA Glitterboy used to defend a nanotech megadamage materials laboratory/manufactory outside Detroit, that was producing MDC armor and materials for refugees taking snactuary in the complex's hardened buildings. The Glitterboy gets its name from its prolonged defense of a nanotech lab building beseiged by demonic invaders, where the power armor was forced to wallow through busted tanks of nanoassemblers that immediately began converting surrounding debris into Glitterchrome and adhering to the body of the GB. The result has been a Glitterboy grossly distorted by extra mass of armor on its forearms, legs, and upper body(add +100 MDC to arms and legs, and main body is now 900 MDC, but increase weight by 50% and reduce speed by HALF).
While the secrets of the nanoassemblers were lost with the destruction of the lab building, those nanites that colonized the GB are still active, despite early attempts to sand them off...With sufficient 'mundane' MDC materials bolted or patched on to damage, the nanites will convert the material to Glitterchrome and add it to the hull(though it will never exceed 900 MDC main body)...effectively regenerates damage at 2d6 MD an hour.
Midas Hunchback continues to serve the Scanlon Family in their mercenary duties, and as a sales promotion for the Scanlon Armor Works(sellers of Glitterboy supplies and armor stock).

Cool! Love it!
taalismn
Priest

"Chiller"
Chiller is a Glitterboy said to have survived the Coming of the Rifts by being at a NEMA outpost in the Arctic Circle region of Alaska....What became of its original crew since then, is anybody's guess, but the blue-tinted power armor now haunts the far northern wastes of Canada, coming out of nowhere accompanied by a howling hail, snow, or sleet storm, fighting monsters and bandits, then disappearing into the lousy weather as quickly as it came. Coalition soldiers made the acqiantance of this GB during the war against Free Quebec, when entire platoons of soldiers participating in Operation 'Cold Death' were annihilated by a single Glitterboy they encountered on their maneuvers. Chiller seems to be of Anacrhist alignment; it will help out people in need, but will just as violently attack anyone who attempts to pursue it, or surprise it.
Chiller seems to be a standard GB, but it is almost always accompanied in battle by a sudden change in weather---howling, bone-chilling, weather, and the armor seems able to cast cold-based spells, including casting cannonball-like boulders of ice, icy walls, and frozen shards of armor-piercing hardness...
NObody knows who pilots the Glitterboy, but some CS officials suspect the machine is really a shapechanging ice-demon PRETENDING to be a Glitterboy, or a demonic TW creation....Lending credence to both theories are reports by some eyewitnesses of seeing images of an unclad pale-skinned blue-white haired woman dancing in the shiny surface of the Glitterboy's armor.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

All three of your GBs were very cool Taalismn! Thank you for sharing them!

HH....FIE
Alpha 11
Palladin

taalismn wrote:"Chiller"
Chiller is a Glitterboy said to have survived the Coming of the Rifts by being at a NEMA outpost in the Arctic Circle region of Alaska....What became of its original crew since then, is anybody's guess, but the blue-tinted power armor now haunts the far northern wastes of Canada, coming out of nowhere accompanied by a howling hail, snow, or sleet storm, fighting monsters and bandits, then disappearing into the lousy weather as quickly as it came. Coalition soldiers made the acqiantance of this GB during the war against Free Quebec, when entire platoons of soldiers participating in Operation 'Cold Death' were annihilated by a single Glitterboy they encountered on their maneuvers. Chiller seems to be of Anacrhist alignment; it will help out people in need, but will just as violently attack anyone who attempts to pursue it, or surprise it.
Chiller seems to be a standard GB, but it is almost always accompanied in battle by a sudden change in weather---howling, bone-chilling, weather, and the armor seems able to cast cold-based spells, including casting cannonball-like boulders of ice, icy walls, and frozen shards of armor-piercing hardness...
NObody knows who pilots the Glitterboy, but some CS officials suspect the machine is really a shapechanging ice-demon PRETENDING to be a Glitterboy, or a demonic TW creation....Lending credence to both theories are reports by some eyewitnesses of seeing images of an unclad pale-skinned blue-white haired woman dancing in the shiny surface of the Glitterboy's armor.

Nice!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

The Silver Birds

The Silver Birds is old NEMA SAMASs, that has survived some how thru the days after the coming of the rifts and dark age, Old timers say them survive just on pure will of the suits.
The Silver Birds appears in hands of different owners here and there just as easy it is find is it gone once . During the chaos the come with the coming of the rifts, how and why they found each other is lost to history. Last seen operating in the Cumberland region of the Mid-Atlantic state of Maryland against the Mechinoids, and have been know to attack Shemarrian Warriors.
Each Samas seems to have a ghost or unknown force controlling it actions, all attempts to remove the ghosts have failed and meet with deadly results. Many witness have said it’s unnatural the way they appear normally behind people and choose their pilots and then seems to take limited control of them , normally teenagers and afterwards the teenagers seem changed as if the SAMAS have shown them the times before, during, and after the coming of the rifts, they are unable to recall much they have seen, but they are lefted with a feeling of great lose. The people of the area view them with awe and fear, knowing the only time they show up in is times of danger.
On the battlefield the seem to have unlimited ammo, one recon unit observe the three firing for over 45 minutes without a reload at a horde of demons until the demons retreated to the rifts from where they came from and the damage to the armor seemed to repair itself in seconds, always nice and shiny at all times.

The Silver Birds
Silver Eagle United States Model
Silver Talon Canada Model
Silver Condor Mexico Model

All Samas have showed the following Spell-like abilities
Blinding Flash
Magic Net
Restoration( limited to armor itself)
Mend the Broken (limited to armor itself)
Supernatural Strength (P.S.. 50)
Armor of Ithan( 6th lvl)
Techno-wizardy Abilities
Super-Stealth Mode
Cleaning System
Energy Disruption Mechanism
Sound Cloaking System
Silver Eagle, Appears to be the leader of the three.

Silver Talon, seems to boost psi-abilities

Silver Condor, seems to have a higher strength (SN STR 60)

enjoy

taalismn
Priest

Forgive me for reporting my tables for Haunted Vehicles, since Haunted GBs seems to be common idea here on this thread...Maybe this will facilitate a few more ideas...

Just a little extra oldie goodies for people who want something else to toss about....

Haunted Vehicles
Under the layers of caked grease, sealant paint, dulling corrosion, and hardened animal droppings, there lays cold, hard, steel...
Or is it so cold?

For decades, they have lain here. slowly rotting away....They come to this place in the hot dry desert, still shiny and straight of line, and gleaming with purpose, and are placed in straight regimental lines as if any minute they will be called upon to take flight again....but the call never comes....No ground crew comes to service them, no flight crews come to board them....Only the passing of the days, and a slow degeneration marks their days....Paint scratches in the dusty winds, fades and pales, wears away...Canopy glass and perspex frosts, spiders, and purples with sun and wind...Oil drips free, thick, dirty, and contaminated with age....Once straight angles soften and curve with the burden of gravity...Rubber brittles and bursts with age.... Proud insignia fade and rub away to barely legible blurs....debris accumulates between the rows of sharp shapes, more often than not fallen from the aircraft themselves, or pushed in from less fortunate neighbors that have finally been cut apart for scrap. Aside from the occasional visit of the junkmen, and the roar of distant, high, man-made thunder, they are alone and forgotten in this place, their final resting place....
Then, after decades, in some cases, a century or so, the world explodes.........
It is hardly felt, at first, in this all-but-forgotten, lonely place....Over several days and nights, the horizon seems to glow with lurid colors...the sky becomes overcast and alternately becomes blacker than midnight, or is streaked with lines of burning unearthly hue...White ash, like snow, falls suddenly, in bursts, threatening to bury the landscape, but is then blown away by sudden winds bordering on hurricane velocity....In the distant hills, monstrous shapes can be seen, but there is no sign if they are real or shadows....
Then, one night, it happens....
In a place that life has deserted, something stirs, With a symphony of creaking and groaning, ancient metal strains and fights loose of its earthly entanglement. Rust falls in a red shower, like dried blood, from flowing metal, as with hissing and popping, broken wing spars and frames straighten out, rejoin, and knit together. Ancient canopy tracks screech as they fight rust and embedded grime to slide shut. Piles of brittle rubber scraps writhe like worms, flow like water, and reform into tires, gaskets, weather stripping, crawling back into place. Old dials and instruments quake in their housings, lighting up with eldritch light or spinning like tops, compasses gone mad. Old position lights flicker to incadescent life, adding red and yellow lighting to the scene.
A cough and a series of gunshot bangs punctuate the air as one of the old piston engines cranks to unearthly life. Screeching at first, as the ancient gears scrape corrosion and dried lubricant in grounds of greasy smoke, the propellors turning slowly, but accelerating, gradually working up into a blur. With precedent set, the process is repeated on the other intact engines, then on the other reforming shapes in the gloom. A throatier roar accompanies the re-awakening of ancient jet engines, adding their voices to the chorus.
Like a clutch of monstrous metal hatchlings trying their wings for the first time, the massive shapes move cautiously, but with growing self-assurance, towards open ground, from their debris-strewn metal nest. An old rusted chainlink fence offers no obstacle, pushed aside by the behemoths, or perhaps pulled aside by the equally old forklift that stutters to life.....Moving out into the open desert and the ribbon of pavement, the aircraft seem to instinctively fall out into an orderly flight line, then, with almost practiced precision, snap to a semblance of attention. One of their number smartly rolls out of the formation and takes point position on the road stretching into the distance. Engines revv to maximum, the first moves forward, moving faster with every passing moment, streaking across the desert, straining for the sky...
Then, impossibly, it happens...Straining and clawing, the vast metal shape lifts into the air, fighting for every inch of lift....almost faltering on the edge of success...then, suddenly, like a man slidding back into a familiar, comfortable suit of clothes, the aircraft FLIES......Steadily, gaining altitude, without tremor, pause, or hesitation....Landing gear smoothly roll up into their bays, flaps adjust for wind and course.
One by one, behind it, the remaining aircraft roll into position, taking their places for takeoff....Within minutes, the first ascension is repeated, until all are airborne. A brief orbit of their ancient resting place, and the resurrected warbirds wheel about and disappear into the blue-crossed night sky....

The mechanisms of haunting are believed to be understood by modern mystic scholars, and the antics and terrors of haunting and possessing entities well documented. Certainly, more than a few animate artifacts, in fact most of the accounts, can be attributed to diabolical or obsessed noncorporal entities assuming control of the material objects and moving them. While these hauntings can last months, years, perhaps centuries, there are also accounts of artifacts exhibiting entity-like behavior, but which, upon closer examination, do not seem to be, in fact, possessed by the troublesome beings. The most dramatic examples of this phenomenon are the reports of ‘haunted’ pre-Rifts vehicles.
The classic haunted vehicle is a pre-Rifts craft that has somehow survived the horrors of the Coming of the Rifts, and been transformed somehow, or invested with some sort of mystical qualities.
Explanations for this vary; it may be another new class of haunting entity that scholars have yet to classify and investigate. Another theory is that these vehicles, many of which were museum pieces or monuments(typically military) in the pre-Rifts era, in being paid attention by the passing public, may have been quietly accumulating a portion of the bio-energy unwittingly conferred to them by passersby, such as an errant directed thought, or a reverant touch. These inadvertant PPE inputs may have built up like static, priming the vehicle for the massive influx of energy that brought the Rifts. The semi-static thoughts and ideas that still hovered at a quantum level in the vehicle’s structure may have formed a ‘template’ for the magical properties that would manifest in the animated vehicle; for instance, an old WWII tank on display might have evoked feelings of awe and stalwartness among passing veterans and passersby, so the resulting haunted vehicle is inordinately tough and resilient. Yet another theory is that these haunted vehicles are really ‘soul refuges’ for the collective life-forces of the millions who died during the Coming of the Rifts, or the many pre-Rifts entities or souls displaced by the destruction of cemetaries and memorials in the Great Catastrophe. The favorite theory about haunted vehicles, especially among headhunters and other warriors, is that the original crews of the vehicles have returned from the afterlife to man their old rides, and continue to do their duty. This last theory is especially pervasive, since the greater number of haunted vehicles have been military craft, typically ground craft, but also including a number of air and sea craft.
The motivations and actions of these haunted vehicles vary greatly....Some haunted vehicles seem to simply lie in wait for some passerby to bring them to life, while other such entities actively roam the land on some unfathomable quest of their own. Some of these haunted craft appear intent on carrying out ancient missions, like fighting a last battle or saving a particular community or individual, though they may be thousands of miles from where that ‘mission’ might have been implemented, and the individuals long dead. Some are apparently some sort of champions, protecting places and nations that may no longer exist. Others are monsters, pure and simple, spreading death, destruction, and misery whereever they appear. And to whatever end these craft may be committed, their tolerance of the living varies; some require or appear to prefer having crews to man them again, while other ancient war machines will not tolerate any of the living to come near them....
Any pre-Rifts vehicle can concievably become a haven of this sort, but the likelihood of this transformation seems higher the older the vehicle is. The number of reports of haunted pre-Rifts Golden Age military equipment are much smaller/virtually nonexistant, for example, than reports of Vietnam War or WWII-era machines coming alive; the more recent machines may be too ‘young’ to have accumulated the required amount of PPE or emotional impressions to ‘come alive’. Likewise, military and working vehicles(especially emergency response equipment) seem more inclined to ‘wake up’, likely because of the emotions and life-and-death activities associated with them, than most designed-obselence civilian vehicles. Some factors that may help shape the manifestation, powers, and available PPE of a Haunted Vehicle:

*Size---Large vehicles, with larger crews, seem to accumulate PPE in larger amounts...it may be a function of size, or a matter of the amount of human activity/history aboard them.

*History----Vehicles with vivid, often blood-soaked, histories and backgrounds, may also take up the impressions of the previous crew, as well as absorb some portion of the lifeforce of deceased crew, giving the eventual Haunted Vehicle a particular theme or ‘flavor’.

*Location---Where a vehicle was displayed/stored/abandoned before becoming a Haunted Vehicle also can affect its eventual post-Rifts state, aside from the obvious of proximity to leylines and nexi. Vehicles in prominent places of memoralization and high-traffic public scrutiny/examination can also soak up ambient PPE and the thoughts/emotions of those around them. Even if they don’t come in direct contact with the vehicle, passersby can also affect the pre-Haunt, if the vehicle is in a position to be prominently visible in the community....The presence and appearance of the vehicle may evoke feelings of patriotism, dread, or ridicule/humor in those who see it, creating a larger ‘bubble’ of emotional energy around the craft. These, too, may affect the ultimate nature of the Haunted Vehicle.

*Condition---Physical Condition is also a factor in determining the state of a Haunted Vehicle. Extreme deterioration may prevent a vehicle from becoming a Haunted Vehicle, or may severely limit its capabilities/powers, as whatever mechanism re-animates them must expend more of its accumulated energy to regenerate and stabilize the Haunted Vehicle’s ultimate form. Thus, craft that have been on public display, or kept in good repair and maintenance tend to be more powerful, as they are that much closer to being operational at the time of their ‘awakening’. Generally, pre-Haunting, a candidate craft must be more or less intact and recognizable for what it was when it was operational/working.

*Age---The longer a vehicle has been around, especially if it is in service or in a prominent position of public display/access, the more time it has absorb ambient PPE and emotiona/psychic impressions. However not all ancient craft are in the ideal position or conditions to become haunted vehicles, and some parapsychologists wonder if there isn’t a ‘cut-off’ date, post-Rifts, preventing younger vehicles from acquiring the traits of Haunted Vehicles.

“There’s stories from the far north, of the Inuit seeing aircraft high up in the sky, circling. A glimpse of metal wings, a roar of jets high up, a ghostly contrail arcing across the sky... A few of them even claim to have gotten close looks at them, and I know of a few historians among them who claim to have identified them.....My friend Chiglac Thomas, a self-educated expert of the Golden Age and the times before, is certain that the aircraft he has seen are pre-Rifts aircraft....vintage relics that shouldn’t have survived the Golden Age, let alone the Coming of the Rifts...But he sees them, and he can name them.....Stratofortress, StratoBomber, B-36 Peacemaker.... long range bombers.... the relics of a bygone era, the stratgeic weapons of an ancient time and ancient politics....
But what is it he is seeing? Mirages cast across time from the long ago eras when the skies over the Inuit were the front lines of a superpower struggle? Are they images from other worlds, where the Cold War still holds its tense watch? Or have the ghosts of those long ago aircraft returned to the watches they once held, keeping a vigil over a land that is no longer the one they once knew and served? Or do they seek to complete missions they never finished, or were ordered to complete?”
-----Hadley Jerome Rustov Taglai, Rogue Scholar, Free Canada

“These reports of haunted old relics coming to life and roaring off on their own are just a load of bullwalla propogated by the magic-freaks and tree-huggers to make their case against science and technology. Why, if I follow their reasoning, the old ceremonial cannon in the park of my hometown, should now be able to throw hellfire all on their ownsome...Do they? Nope, they’re as dead as the day they were cemented in place there, centuries ago! Bullwalla, I tell you!”
----Corporal Peter Mazwitz, CS Militiaman, Whykin

“That old VW Bug’s more than a prized family possession...it’s PART of the family!”
-----Anonymous homesteader, the Relic

Abilities Common to Haunted Vehicles:
*Will of Its Own......Most haunted vehicles exhibit a will of their own, including the ability to carry out actions of their own(typically 1d6 actions per 24 hours). They may also refuse to operate, shut down, or give accurate readings, all on their own(doesn’t count as an action).
*Natural PPE---Most haunted vehicles fairly hum with magical energy....2d6x10 PPE for smaller vehicles up to trucks and small aircraft, 4d6x10 PPE for larger( corvette or bomber-sized) vehicles, and 1d4x100 -3d4x100 PPE for the largest vessels(like battleships and and aircraft carriers)....This reservoir may be tapped by crew members, or drained if the vehicle is destroyed(does NOT double with the destruction of the vehicle). Typically regenerate 10-20% percent of their base PPE per hour, DOUBLE on ley lines, TRIPLE at nexi.
*Natural Megadamage -----Somehow, old steel, metal alloy, and even wood have been transformed into MDC! This may not be immediately evident(looks chipped and rusted), but will become readily evident if the vehicle is attacked. If the vehicle has a known SDC rating(i.e., the GM found the stats somewhere, or went to the trouble of coming up with them), simply convert it to MDC(ignore Armor Rating) and divide by HALF...Otherwise, a few averages:
Cars: 200-450 SDC
Trucks: 450-800 SDC
Armored Cars 500-800 SDC
Tanks 800-1200 SDC
Airplanes(Civilian) 400-2,000 SDC
Airplanes(Military) 500-3,000 SDC
Watercraft(Civilian) 40-8,000 SDC
Watercraft(Military) 50-22,000 SDC
The vehicle also has a limited regeneration ability(unless otherwise noted), ....Materials(must be similar to the original) added to the main body will be assimilated and become megadamage materials within 1-2 weeks. Also note that if materials are removed from the vehicle, they revert to the original SDC values within minutes, and more often than not just rust or crumble into uselessness.
Please note that, aside from minor parts like gears and sprockets, modern megadamage materials(applique armor) CANNOT be added to increase the haunted vehicle’s total armor, nor can more modern systems be added...the vehicle rejects them, they crumble and break, or just fail to work, once installed.

Alignment of Vehicle: Alignment signifies the sort of attitude that seems to pervade the vehicle, and the sort of crews it will most likely ‘take a shine to’.
01-25 Good---The vehicle is most inclined towards heroic deeds, like defending others. In some cases, if its crew acts less than honorably, the vehicle may refuse their direction.
26-75 Anarchist----The vehicle most inclined towards survival, of itself and its crew.....In circumstances where its destruction seems evident, it may disobey its crew and try to escape.
76-00 Evil---This vehicle is most inclined towards acts of bloodshed; unless its lust for destruction is regularly met, it will likely turn on its crew

Reaction to Others:
01-40 Anti-Social---The vehicle will absolutely NOT allow anyone to come near it, let alone let anyone board it or enter inside it. If it can, it will avoid contact with them, by running away...If beings attempt to enter by force, the haunted vehicle will respond with force; attacking them with its weapons, running them down, slamming hatches on their limbs, etc....
41-80 Reserved----The vehicle will only allow those of compatible alignments aboard it, and only under dire circumstances.
81-00 Friendly----The Vehicle needs and wants a crew, and will pause invitingly, as if encouraging others to come aboard and take the controls.

Nature of the Haunting Entity(ies)(Optional)---Anyone attempting to do a Read Object or telepathic communication, may roll on this table to get the following:
01-30 Single Voice----The vehicle seems possessed by one single strong entity or persona, whether or a traditional haunting entity or a true spirit. This single entity can respond with clear thoughts, emotional projections, or visual impressions.
31-65 1d6 Voices----The vehicle seems possessed by several distinct identities/personalities...perhaps the original crew or owners. Like the previous entry, these beings/personas can communicate with words, impressions, or images, to a psionic probe.
66-00 Crowd----Anyone attempting to tap into the essence of the vehicle will get the impression of multiple voices/presences, all atttempting to communicate at once, and too numerous to make out individual distinctions or traits. Only the most general impressions can be made out in attempts to communicate with the vehicle’s essence.

Range:
01-25 -------Gas Guzzler---The vehicle eats energy like a hog and the range is 1d6x10% less than it should be.
25-75 -------Same as the original
76-00 -------Super-Efficient----The old clunker seems to be able to run on less with age....Double its effective range for the same amount of fuel/energy.

Speed:
01-25 -------50% slower than normal
25-75 -------Normal Speed
76-00 -------50% faster than normal

Reliability:
01-30 Cantankerous----The vehicle goes through spare parts twice as fast, and requires 1d4 times more periodic maintenance than normal. It is always breaking down, regardless of how much attention the mechanics lavish on it.
31-60 Wears out as normal.....Parts may be difficult to come by and require custom-construction, but given the simplicity of the technology, they should be relatively easy to make, and substitute materials can sometimes be used.
61-00 Old Reliable---They Don’t Build ‘em Like They Used To. The vehicle seems to never wear out. Parts either regenerate themselves, or there’s always another set in the trunk, or somehow the parts can be found in the immediate vicinity or on sale from a passing merchant.

(Roll or choose from the following)

Special Abilities:(Roll or choose 1d4 of the following)
01-10 Inexhaustible Propulsive Force---Range and fuel aren’t a problem; the craft seems able to go on forever, powered by a magical power source.
11-15 Mystical Regeneration---Rather than needing repairs, the vehicle actually regenerates itself, repairing itself at 10-20% of main body SDC/MDC per 24 hours, double that rate on a ley line, and triple that rate at a nexus.
16-20 Natural Warding----Evil Beings, entities, demons, vampires, and faerie folk CANNOT approach the vehicle or get inside it.
21-25 Magical Shielding---Occupants are +10 to save versus magic and psionics
26-30 Healing Hands----The vehicle seems somehow conducive to healing. Occupants of the vehicle heal at 2d6 times the normal rate. This is especially true of haunted ambulances or medevac vehicles.
31-40 Armor of the Soul----Occupants of the vehicle seem somehow more motivated and alert, as if they were filled with courage and pride, or as if there were other hands helping them. Occupants are +5 to save versus Horror Factor, and get a +1 to initiative
41-45 Lucky---Once per day, crewmembers get to reroll a bad strike or skill roll involving the vehicle.
46-50 Spiritual Advisor---The vision or voice of a former crewmember or other person asscoiated with the vehicle will occasionally appear to one or more of the present crew, and appear to asassociated pointing out how to operate something, or warning the crew at a crucial moment of some threat.
51-55 Natural Invisibility---The vehicle seems to be capable of assuming an invisible and perfectly silent state, even when running full out! The vehicle cannot engage in any sort of offensive action(like firing a weapon) without dropping its invisibility. Can engage this ability 1d6 times per day/24 hours, for 1d6x10 minutes at a time
56-60 Natural Intangibility---The vehicle has the ability to become immaterial and intangible, and ghost through solid materials. Can engage this ability 1d6 times per day/24 hours, for 6d6 minutes at a time
61-65 Holy Weapon----Supernatural beings vulnerable to Holy Weapons react in like fashion to the vehicle(any attacks made via the vehicle do DOUBLE damage to these creatures). Vampires shun it like a holy symbol.
66-70 Balefire----Any weapons that are mounted on the vehicle project magical energy instead of regular projectiles or energy, even if the weapons’ mechanism are fused junk! Weapons now do megadamage!
71-75 Magical Abilities---The haunted vehicle seems to be able to cast spells....The craft has 1d6 spells, usually related in ability/medium(for instance, a tank with Create Fog and Summon Storm). Can cast these spells 1d6 times per day, at 1d10 level of experience.
76-80 Natural MDC Structure---The vehicle is a natural megadamage structure with higher than normal MDC values. +1d10x10 % over the regular values
81-85 Mind of Its Own---The vehicle seems inclined to ‘act up’ far more than usual, and can carry out fairly complex actions all on its own! Has 1d6 APMs
86-90 Modification Ability----The vehicle WILL accept modern upgrades and newer systems, but also note that this requires appeasing the spirit(s) of the vehicle. Also note that any new additions will become part of the vehicle, and under its control.
91-95 Roll Twice
96-00 Roll 1d6 times

Quirks(Optional): These are those little pecularities that can really freak a crew out.
01-15 Ghost Voices----Snatches of archaic music or speech occasionalpeculiarities the radio system, even when it is turned off.
16-20 Ghost Glow---The vehicle seems to shimmer with a barely visible glow that usually intensifies in areas of high magic.
21-25 Translucent---The vehicle is solid as metal, but it still seems to be translucent and shadowy. Anyone going inside the vehicle will not note anything unusual inside, but they too will be caught up in the effect.
26-30 Power Item---In order for the vehicle to keep running, some small, eccentric ritual must be carried out, or item provided, like singing a particular ditty before going into combat, a wad of gum must be stuck behind the seat, or a beer periodically poured into the gas tank.
31-35 Vocal----The vehicle’s noises sound more organic than mechanical, as if it were a living thing....Engines grunt and moan, and the vehicle may seem to scream in pain when it takes damage! This can be quite disconcerting and disturbing to anyone hearing this(mean GMs might want to assign a low-value Horror Factor to see if newbie crewmembers bolt).
36-40 Drips Blood----Rather than gas or oil running out of the gas tank and engine, the vehicle drips what appears to be human blood.
41-50 Nightmare---Anyone sleeping in the vehicle will have particularly vivid dreams of the vehicle’s past adventures. This can be enlightening, or scary and disturbing.
51-60 Sleepwalker---Overnight, the vehicle seems to move, turning around, changing position in the parking lot, unless watched at all times.
61-65 Replay---Once a year, the vehicle(and any crew aboard it at the time) seems caught up in a micro-universe of its own in which it appears involved in a full sensory replay of some battle it(and its former crews) were involved in. Any passengers will be forced to relive the events, with no certainty that it is all a harmless dream sequence! The Replay rarely lasts more than 24 hours, at the end of which, everything returns to normal.
66-70 Ice Cold---Regardless of the weather or temperature outside, the craft seems to be near freezing to the touch and inside, as if it were sucking the heat out of its surroundings.
71-75 Nocturnal: The vehicle only operates/exhibits paranormal abilities once the sun has set.
76-80 Bias---The vehicle, or whatever entities are possessing it, seem to have a particular bias....They will refuse to operate or fire(or will ONLY operate/fire) in the presence of/or on certain individuals, species, nationalities, or those flying the insignia of certain countries or military units(like the U.S. 1st Division, anything of Japanese make, Pittsburgh police department, etc...). This may be more profoundly expressed as a ‘heritage gene’...the vehicle will work(or show a particular favor) for individuals descended from members of its original crew or unit.
81-90 Roll Twice
91-00 Roll 1d6 times

Darkside Quirks(Optional): These are darker, nastier, pecularities.
01-15 Possession---There is a high likelihood of crewmembers becoming possessed by a malign entity, or perhaps a former crew member! Crew members must roll once per week against mind control/possession(bonuses to save apply).
16-20 Alignment Shift----The longer a crewmember spends with/in the vehicle, the greater the chance of an alignment drift towards evil. Crew members must roll once per week against mind control/possession(bonuses to save vs psionics/insanity apply).
21-30 Hunger---Foodstuffs, rations, and other perishables left inside the vehicle disappear within 48 hours, or else rot, decay, or become otherwise unusable.
31-40 Death Aura----The vehicle fairly glows of death energy; anyone who looks at it can instinctively sense its necromantic energies. The life signs of the crew CANNOT be detected within, and are likely going to be assumed to be undead if and when they emerge from the vehicle.
41-50 PPE Absorption----Magic users will find that the longer they stay in or around the vehicle, the more PPE they lose! Magic users will lose 1d6 PPE per day during the first 1d6 days of being in/around the vehicle, then every day afterwards, they must save versus magic, or lose 3d6 PPE per day. After two weeks, this rises to 5d6 PPE per day!
51-60 Death Scream----The vehicle, whenever it enters combat, lets off a bloodcurdling scream(metallic or organic) that seems like a banshee’s death cry, inflicting a Horror Factor attack of HF 14 on all who hear it!
61-70 Blood Sacrifice---In order to get the vehicle to exhibit a particular trait or ability, the vehicle must be given a blood sacrifice; a crew member must cut themselves and drip blood into a part, a small animal must be sacrificed, or, in the worst cases, a sentient being must be killed, effectively making the haunted vehicle a Soul Drinker.
71-80 Curse----Anyone who enters the vehicle for any length of time comes away with a curse; this could be anything from a bad rash that persists for several weeks, to an Aura of Death that dooms the victim to some horrible death within a year.
81-90 Roll Twice
91-00 Roll 1d6 times
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”