how does chaos earth survive

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

how does chaos earth survive

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

mega tsunami or very big ************* wave

No coastline in the North Atlantic would be spared. Britain, France, Spain and Portugal would all be badly hit North Africa would be hit by 100 metre waves, but the main wave would travel west. It would storm across the Atlantic in hours, hitting the Caribbean and Brazil badly. However, the real damage would be to the East coast of the USA.

By the time it had travelled the 4000 miles to America the wave would be lower and wider. It would now be just 50 metres high but many kilometers long, allowing it to sweep up to 20 miles in land, destroying everything in its path. Boston, New York and Miami would virtually be wiped off the map. Skyscrapers would be bulldozed as if they weren't there. Bridges would be ripped from their foundations. And virtually every human in these cities would be killed.

Super volcano or put your head between your legs and kiss your donkey goodbye

Immediately before the eruption, there would be large earthquakes in the Yellowstone region. The ground would swell further with most of Yellowstone being uplifted. One earthquake would finally break the layer of rock that holds the magma in - and all the pressure the Earth can build up in 640,000 years would be unleashed in a cataclysmic event.
Magma would be flung 50 kilometers into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometers virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. Volcanic ash would coat places as far away as Iowa and the Gulf of Mexico. One thousand cubic kilometers of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick. The explosion would have a force 2,500 times that of Mount St. Helens. It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years, the time of the last super volcano eruption. Within minutes of the eruption tens of thousands would be dead.

The long-term effects would be even more devastating. The thousands of cubic kilometers of ash that would shoot into the atmosphere could block out light from the sun, making global temperatures plummet. This is called a nuclear winter. As during the Sumatra eruption a large percentage of the world's plant life would be killed by the ash and drop in temperature. Also, virtually the entire of the grain harvest of the Great Plains would disappear in hours, as it would be coated in ash. Similar effects around the world would cause massive food shortages. If the temperatures plummet by the 21 degrees they did after the Sumatra eruption the Yellowstone super volcano eruption could truly be an extinction level event.

Now add in ley lines, with normal tidal waves,level 5 hurricanes, 7.0- 9.0 earthquake and volcanoes going off

any thoughts
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

If I ever GM a game of Chaos Earth, my inclination would be to have the setting closely mirror what you have proposed. The magnitude of the damage to the eco-system and its effects on the initial survivors should have been better detailed, IMO, with rules for dealing with cold, starvation, and the like. As you note, this should be considered an ELE and be played as such.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

add to the fact that KS has the Ashcloud covering the earth for weeks.

it only takes 3 days for phytoplankton to die off from lack of sunlight, on a global scale that means COMPLETE AND TOTAL disruption of the Ocean food chain, and a reduction of oxygen production for the whole planet (plankton generates over 60%.) all the fires and erosion going on would suck O2 right out as well.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

There's no doubt that breathing would be a terrible exercise in itself, though the amount of ash and smoke in the air would be problems just as significant as the amount of available oxygen. Keep in mind that massive declines in animal populations would dramatically decrease O2 consumption just as the means of supply decline. Nonetheless, I think all of this contributes to the point that Chaos Earth should be much more desperate than it is portrayed in the book.

The game's artwork, which I find really sets a tone in Palladium's books, is a big part of what misses the mark. In Chaos Earth and its two sourcebooks, with few exceptions the art doesn't present anything different about the environment than what we see in Rifts. Heck, in the Rise of Magic, I can't look at a page with one of Apollo's illustrations without cringing - not because they're particularly poorly drawn but because the tone is so completely wrong! What's more, the idea of anybody (even some of the demons) being able to be outdoors without any sort of googles or air filter whatsoever is laughable in the wake of the apocalypse.

All of this contributes to Chaos Earth being serious disappointment for me. It could have been really special, but it comes off as a quick knockoff of its big brother. :(
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

In reference to the origional post title:

It is an End-of-the-world game.

But every mass extinction has a few surviors.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

wolfe wrote:sure there would be survivors in A extiction level event.. but after several, one right after another? the super volcano alone is enough to wipe all life from the earth..

Strangly enough it didn't wipe all life from the Earth last time.
Nor did any other extintion events this world has seen.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

wolfe wrote:the last time that volc erupted it wasnt anywhere near as big as its hinting at in choas earth..

and just how many years passed between each of those previous events compared to the rapid succesion seen in CE?

So when the Dinos died life re-evolved for not so primordial ooze all over again?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Dr. Doom III wrote:
wolfe wrote:the last time that volc erupted it wasnt anywhere near as big as its hinting at in choas earth..

and just how many years passed between each of those previous events compared to the rapid succesion seen in CE?

So when the Dinos died life re-evolved for not so primordial ooze all over again?
dont know wasnt there :lol: sometime bucket head you ask some silly questions, but Dommie has a point, something always survives.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Angryjack wrote:i think alot more coast line was sucked into dimensional pockets to reappear again. that's how all the communities ended up surviving.. .but no, NYC would not be wiped out. -- there is no reason why any erruption in the southwest of the US will affect the north atlantic. if a super volcano in iceland went kablooie, then tsunamis would hit the East coast.
the re-emergence of atlantis displaced alot of water it did not just pop in on top of existing water
and even at 50 meter waves, many cities have land mass above the 50meter mark and some are naturally hilly. Now, in NYC Case, The BUSINESS district is at sea level. The Residential areas are typically at 50 to 100 meter mark. it would devastate the City, it would not sink it.
however. Lots of areas would remain above water. however it would turn into a microarchipelago..

Long island would Absorb most of the destruction, as the Hudson bay's flow would keep the current heading down, (The Hudson bay Fan underneath NYC would divert the Tsunami some what

actually the ridge line in the atlantic could cause it, carary iskands or a land born tsunami could do the trip, look at the damage over there that just happened now think about it on a world wide scale, but just no one but hundreds back to back smashing the coastline all over the place... As for NYC isw just soo screwed as with most coastline cities....check http://www.landforms.biz/ there had some nice relief maps with the different maps help you think about the damage that all this at once could do and how bad it might be

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

true but dont forget about the water getting funnel into a smaller areas

G
Adventurer

The chaos part of chaos earth

Unread post by G »

Thats one of the parts I would really beef up ink starting my own game (and have already made notes & plans for such plots as survival) if I GM a CE game from the start. Otherwise I add a how I surivived the Chaos to my char descriptions. Such comments as: used up all the luck I had accumulated in my life or was just lucky may not be all that uncommon. Also being inside a nema base helps, as does making a deal with the closest devil, becoming a d-shifter (or a few other classes; but I like the d-shifter), or being protected by any of the above.

With so many people killed - everything sort of balances out. There isnt enough food or supplies to save everyone - but 90%(lets say) of everyone is dead, so you dont need that many supplies. Need food - all the animals diede as well, lots of food there. Not enough oxygen? not as many people need it. Etc. That isn't however to say that everyone needs to FIND these things easily. Getting there is half the fun. (The rest is getting attacked by the monster who was waiting there, hehe).
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:I think NEMA is well-placed in the mid-west for the setting to be somewhat realistic. They are out of range of the tsunamis and out of the direct effect of the supervolcano. They still have to deal with the ash and nuclear winter effects. Also, I don't think the cloud would totally obscure the entire globe in a solid mass would it? There'd be regions over the pacific and near the poles where the jetstream would keep the air clear wouldn't there? Im not an expert by any means on this subject, but I think a lot of the ocean flora and fauna would survive. When you add in the wealth of creatures not dependent on sunlight in the depths life on earth would still go on quite robustly in some areas.
That being said I think the crew of the Ticonderoga were the best situated to handle the events...I'd like to hear about what they are doing at this time.

Good points, but to be honest I think it would apply more to Texas rather than the Mid-west area. Personally that's what I'm doing, my soon to start PBeM Chaos Earth game has Sawyer going to Texas rather than Chicago. Texas would suffer from flooding along the Rio Grande River and the Gulf coastline though.
At any rate, with the natural resources, farming, military assets and Texans being Texans, along with the Lone Star Facility (even if Sawyer did not know about it), Texas just seems a more natural place to start to rebuild and survive.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

wolfe wrote:not sure if anyone is remotely interested but..

In april the discovery channel will be showing a docu-drama 'what-if' of the yellowstone supervolcano eruption
supervolcano

like they said its just hasnt happened yet

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

wolfe wrote:not sure if anyone is remotely interested but..

In april the discovery channel will be showing a docu-drama 'what-if' of the yellowstone supervolcano eruption
supervolcano

Looks interesting I plan to watch it.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Re: how does chaos earth survive

Beanie wrote:
No offense, but we are talking about a fictional game, so I just go on whats given to me. I mean, hey, Ley lines, Atlantis, rifts? I'll just overlook anything nonrealistic, because the whole game is based upon the idea of suspending disbelief.
its a game?? no #&(! really, wow what a relief

Heltor

From the D-Bee Down Under

Unread post by Heltor »

Perhaps we could all feel free to 'modify' the background or rules of the game as we see fit. KS makes no statement that we are to adhere to every rule and detail in his Paladium Megaverse.

On the topic of post-super volcano survival, I say it’s plausible. With the combination of future science and technology mankind can and will find a way to survive. Hydroponics can be set up in underground bunkers, air and water purification systems can be built, and helmets and armour can be retro-fitted with air filters and goggles. Vehicles may need similar modification… but it’s all possible.

I also think that if the Yellowstone super volcano erupted, it would deplete the finite amount of energy stored in the earth's crust, reducing the likelihood and severity of future eruptions. Of greater concern (and far more fun in game terms) are the Rifts and Ley Line storms (and regular storms at magnified severity). Perhaps as part of the post-cataclysm clean up, the player characters could be partially responsible for developing or implementing measures to filter or repair the damage to the atmosphere etc.

Did anyone ever see the Seaquest DSV episode with the giant Oxygen generators that were the answer to depleted forests? It’s a game, with infinite possibilities, and zero restrictions… its up to the GM.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

The tidal wave from atlantis should efectively destroy everything east of teh apalachian chain. Two plates shifting cause a few feet cause huge waves. Whats the energy associated with plopping a continent down?
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

I didn't mean drop from the sky. I just meant it reappearing.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Could the open rifts actually help and absorb some of the damage produced from The Coming of the Rifts?
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

MaddogMatarese wrote:Could the open rifts actually help and absorb some of the damage produced from The Coming of the Rifts?

Hmm, interesting idea. Take some of Mother Nature's uncontrolled fury, and dump it someone else's backyard...

You'd have to be talking about several large, permanent Rifts all around the planet to be able to channel enough of that raw cataclysmic destruction to make any kind of difference.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Kelorin wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:Could the open rifts actually help and absorb some of the damage produced from The Coming of the Rifts?

Hmm, interesting idea. Take some of Mother Nature's uncontrolled fury, and dump it someone else's backyard...

You'd have to be talking about several large, permanent Rifts all around the planet to be able to channel enough of that raw cataclysmic destruction to make any kind of difference.

There's at least one in St. Louis. Plus all the random ones opening and closing may help a bit.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”