Robots and A.I.'s; how to NOT be Data (tm)

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DhAkael
Knight

Robots and A.I.'s; how to NOT be Data (tm)

Unread post by DhAkael »

Another topic from your friendly neighbourhood Dark Angel.
As poeple may have become aware of in sci-fi popular media; Artifical Intelligences have become quite de-rigeur. Problem is; too many still fall back on the 'Robby the Robot' cliche. Case in point "Star Drek" er TREK the next Generation with Data. Great actor, hated the character. For a superior neural data cortex, he was remarkably stupid for an android.
Again with ST:Voyager with the doctor at the begining of the series. No 'vibe' or personality (well, some...).
Good examples of how NOT to have your AI's suck;
Romie from 'Andromeda', and Kos-Mos from 'Xenosaga'
Even being synthtic, those androids have enough 'soul', that the audience cares about what happens with / to them.
What other A.I's can you my readers, think of that don't suck like Data?
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Uhhh..... The love-slave Droid from "Lexx," that fell in love with a different plant/animal/mineral/undead every few weeks??????
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Case in point "Star Drek" er TREK the next Generation with Data. Great actor, hated the character. For a superior neural data cortex, he was remarkably stupid for an android

Data was supposed to be flawed. the idea was while you could program a computer to think, you couldn't program it to be human, it had to learn. just like children have to learn how to behave and live in society. Data had all the Knowledge he needed, he just didn't know how to interpret it.

Again with ST:Voyager with the doctor at the begining of the series. No 'vibe' or personality (well, some...).

i'll give you that one. though in later seasons the doctor developed into a decent character. again, it was the "child effect" where they had to learn.

Romie from 'Andromeda'

first season was OK, later ones made her TOO human.

what about the guys from the Alien/Aliens series (Ash) ? I don't know too much about the background on those.

the Cyberdyne Androids? like Bishop? those were cool, but they were less robots and more Bioroid. (japanese anime term. organic androids.)
so they had the advantage of having human(like) brains to work with.
then again, the one from Ressurection was rather TOO human,i like my androids with at least one or two quirks that imply their not human (hardware doesn't count, given cyber stuff.)

for an interesting Android character, take a look at Ping from the Megatokyo Webcomic. it's making fun of japanese robot girl anime and manga, but the character has a real depth of personality.
you have to read the archives to get the feel for the character though.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

HK-47 from KOTOR.
THAT is a droid with personality... :D
And any droid that looks as hot as Romy from Andromeda or Wynona Rider from Alien Resurrection would work, also.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Vrykolas2k wrote:HK-47 from KOTOR.
THAT is a droid with personality... :D
And any droid that looks as hot as Romy from Andromeda or Wynona Rider from Alien Resurrection would work, also.
Like Megas XLR says, "Chicks...DIG ....Giant Robots!!!"

But Guys dig Sexy ones. :oops:
:cute: :oops:
:cute: :oops: :arrow: :mrgreen:

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Archie III from the 1st source book.
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

T-1000 from T3
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Gideon wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned the replicants from Blade Runner

I can, people have no apprecitation for the classics these days...

"Chu, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes..."

I liked the book better... but the skin-jobs in the movie were pretty cool... :-P
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

MasterDragon wrote:ill agree with Romie, she kicks ass ^_^

um how bout the ones From terminator, T1000 was made to mimik humans(infiltration unit style)

then for anime, Dragonball-Dragonball Z the androids, alot of them were very human, as a matter of fact in DBZ Android 18 has a daughter(who is human) wich was deemed impossible since she was robotic
Not really. Before DBZ, there was Naomi Armitage, another Android who could combine DNA with her own body structure to create life........

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Gideon wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned the replicants from Blade Runner

I can, people have no apprecitation for the classics these days...

"Chu, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes..."

Actually THOSE AREN'T ROBOTS! :x
:D
They're clones that only live four years and yet we can't seem to amake them live linger even though that's completely unrealistic.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Misfit KotLD wrote: They are engineered that way. What couldn't be done is engineering that trait out of them.

THEY STILL AREN'T FRIKKEN ROBOTS!!! :x
THEY WOULDN'T HAVE ANY FIKKEN REASON TO FRIKKEN DREAM OF FRIKKEN ELECTRIC SHEEP!!!!
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Marcethus
Champion

hmmm the replicants sound like the Sims from Manhunter.
Marcethus
Champion

eh whatever my point was made that's enough
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Kryton from Red Dwarf.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Inazuma

Unread post by Inazuma »

Pardon my interruption, but...
Going back to the Boomers (the robots from Bubblegum Crisis/Crash,) they're actually fairly similar to humans in terms of personality, depending on the model. For example, the 33-S Sexaroids (I'm not making that up, I swear!) are not only easily on par with humans in terms of personality, they even have artificial blood and internal organs. Unless you were to dissect one, you'd never know it was an android. Sexaroids are, arguably, the most human-like of all the boomers, having a full range of feelings and emotions. In many ways, they're almost true lifeforms.

Not all boomers are combat-oriented, either. Aside from the 33-S, there are numerous boomer designs, ranging from simple construction androids, to maids, to deep-sea exploration 'droids. (There's even a Boomer minesweeper. Okay, so it's about as smart as a steamroller, but still...)

I'll leave you all with a thought: what is the difference between a living being and an advanced android? If an android (or robot, or mecha, or whatever) had all of the features and capabilities that a living being had, what would separate it from its "living" counterpart? Indeed, are humans not simply "organic androids?"
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:Also keep in mind Machine People fit the definition for alive because they grow and reproduce, androids do not.

Ah, but if an android were sophisticated enough to reproduce, and its offspring grew and reproduced...

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Also keep in mind Machine People fit the definition for alive because they grow and reproduce, androids do not.

Ah, but if an android were sophisticated enough to reproduce, and its offspring grew and reproduced...

Then by that definition, alive.

Nope.
You need cells to be alive.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

by the doctrine that life MUST follow the laws of biology and that entities not biological in nature can't be considered alive... which is of course why machine people are bots, not folk...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Inazuma

"Conventional" Rules of Life

Unread post by Inazuma »

Off-topic again...

So, Svartalf, does that mean that ANY life that isn't composed of cells isn't alive? How about creatures not composed of carbon? (I'd love to see a biologist's reaction to a helium-based lifeform.)

I'm sorry, but I'm so tired of science declaring that anything that doesn't fit its definition of reality automatically must be either incorrect, or a fluke. We seem to think that, because we've been around for a mere 10,000 years and have seen the tiniest sliver of the universe, we must know everything when, in truth, we barely know anything. (Sorry, I'm not trying to flame or gripe at anyone on the forum. I'm just venting.)

Dairugger, I think you're referring to viruses, but I could be wrong.

Lastly, androids are technically robots that are humanoid in shape (i.e. Data vs. an artificial spider.) In truth, the name has nothing to do with intelligence (the ASIMO bot is an android, but it's a LONG way from being sentient.)

We now return you to the intended topic, already in progress...

In answer to an earlier question, no, there aren't any robots per se in Cowboy Bebop, but there is a weather/spy satellite that was kinda sentient.

Oh, and how about the girl android from Metropolis? (Both the anime and the silent movie.)
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Actually, Inazuma, I was being sarcastic and am not ready to seriously play devil's advocate on that case.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

Then by that definition, alive.

Nope.
You need cells to be alive.

The the persons in Rifts who are transferred intelligences, have psionics, and 1 PPE are no longer alive?

Vrykolas2k
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:The the persons in Rifts who are transferred intelligences, have psionics, and 1 PPE are no longer alive?

Let's not confuse Kevin's publications with science here.

Since when were we discussing actual hard science...? :?

Vrykolas2k
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:The the persons in Rifts who are transferred intelligences, have psionics, and 1 PPE are no longer alive?

When I mentioned the actual listed requirements for life.

This, however, is a game discussion...

Vrykolas2k
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

When I mentioned the actual listed requirements for life.

This, however, is a game discussion...

Making Kevin's eternally inconsistent word gospel.

Exactly!!! :lol:

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”