Next Mass Produced Mutant

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Mutants

Battle Cats
18%
Monkey Boys
3%
Ursa Warriors
15%
None of the above
65%

Total votes: 40

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

They won't. Dog Boys are pretty much ideal for their purposes.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:They won't. Dog Boys are pretty much ideal for their purposes.

Yep, completely agree.

PigLick
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

It won't be monkeys (too smart)

It won't be Ursa (too dumb)

It won't be Cats (Too independant)

Dog boys are perfect. Smart, loyal (95% loyal), strong (stronger than humans), and have an array of pychic powers and their noses are the best money can mutate.

Exception: If they could find a use for Bat boys they probably would be the next high produced mutant. But, seeing as they are discontinued...)c:
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
dark brandon
Knight

Re: something in the air

DAB wrote:
DarkBrandon wrote:Exception: If they could find a use for Bat boys they probably would be the next high produced mutant.

Creepy...I was thinking the same thing. Not bats, but in a flying creature with excellent sensory/perception.

Well, in Lone star, it says that bat boys are just as loyal and such, but arn't much good vs high-tech enemies. Course, I think if they could find a way to equip bat boys with some anti-radar devices, they could make excellent calvary soldiers because they are quick.

Some light armor a plasma rifle that can be aimed by the positioning of the head that's mounted on the shoulder and an anti-radar device would make them pretty dangerous, especially with a pack of dogboys offering ground support.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I pretty much agree with the statement that the Bears are too dumb ect.

The only other problem with the Bats being used in large numbers is they are ugly, and humans don't like ugly things. You won't see Batboys flying around Chitown because it would freak out the populace.

If anything I would see the Bug hunters(I can never spell Xli whatever) as the best chance of a newer mutant being mass produced. This is because they do help limit the numbers of bugs, but also because they are not interacting with humans a great deal. I could also see some of the expanded Dog Boys being much more common.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
dark brandon
Knight

RockJock wrote:I pretty much agree with the statement that the Bears are too dumb ect.

The only other problem with the Bats being used in large numbers is they are ugly, and humans don't like ugly things. You won't see Batboys flying around Chitown because it would freak out the populace.

actually, Up until I saw a bat up close, I figured the things to be ugly. up close, they are kinda cute (fruit bats), and look like furry pigs.

Now There's a animal they might want to concider mutating. Pigs are (at least pot belly ones) smart (smarter than dogs) and are quite loyal. There is a myth that pigs are lazy and dirty, but I had one as a pet and we grew them up on a farm and that's just not true.

If anything I would see the Bug hunters(I can never spell Xli whatever) as the best chance of a newer mutant being mass produced. This is because they do help limit the numbers of bugs, but also because they are not interacting with humans a great deal. I could also see some of the expanded Dog Boys being much more common.

Unfortunatly, much like the bat boys, The xinixtic hunter line has been discontinued. While they did eat xinixtics, they couldn't produce them fast enough to make any type of difference, so it was discontinued. (I think that was in aftermath)
dark brandon
Knight

MattLizard wrote:Thing is, with the increasing acceptance of psychics, you'll be seeing fewer mutants. The Dog Boys were created because psi-powers were strictly controlled and not used in the military. Psi-Batt changed that, and now we're likely to see a slow phasing out of Dog Boys.

Skelebots are better cannon fodder, and human psychics work just as well.

Possible but I don't think so. All dog boys have psionic powers. There arn't that many humans who have even minor powers. All dog boys have psi-sensitive. With the loss of dog boys you'll probably see a loss of psi-stalkers as it will probably drive them away.

Skelebots are better cannon fodder, but dog boys have a high IQ, along with natural abilities that cannot be programed and independant thought, which is important in certain battlefield situations. While skelebots will be awesome vs. Xinixtics, they were worthless as shown in the Siege on Tolkeen series.

Dog boys are just rad. They are as loyal as any skelebot, near as fearless. They all have psi-sensitive abilities and can be mass produced much faster than pychics of human nature can. You could say that Dog boys are a combination of the best parts of Psi-battalion, Skelebots, Psi-stalkers and humans all rolled into one.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

MattLizard wrote:Thing is, with the increasing acceptance of psychics, you'll be seeing fewer mutants. The Dog Boys were created because psi-powers were strictly controlled and not used in the military. Psi-Batt changed that, and now we're likely to see a slow phasing out of Dog Boys.

Skelebots are better cannon fodder, and human psychics work just as well.

Nah, I wouldn't expect to see the Dog Boys being phased out anytime soon. Skelebots may be better cannon fodder and human mages may suffice, but in Dog Boys you combine both of those properties, and then some. They are more intelligent and imaginative than skelebots, more expendable than humans, and they have some specific and useful psychic powers and abilities which are unavailable to human psychics.

Psi-Bat may lessen their role somewhat, but not completely. FOr one thing, the rate at which new Dog Boys can be added to the army is pretty much completely under the control of the CS itself. The same cannot be said of psychic humans. A realtively small percentage of the population even posesses the abilities, and of those, many likely would not pass the necessary screening to get into Psi-Bat. Remember, Psi-Bat is a Special Forces- type organization. The CS still needs a good guaranteed steady supply of psychics, and the Dog Boys are exactly that.

PigLick
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Why mutate another splice Dog Boys with another critter.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Battle cats are too independant and undisciplined ...
monkey boys too smart and curious and likely to meddle in stuff they shouldn't...
Ursa warriors on the other hand tend to be too dumb to be effective in complex/stressful situation....

None is sutable for mass production by the CS
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'm there with the none of the above group. Though I COULD see Dr. Bradford working on ways to increase or vary the powers that Dog Boys have. Maybe even work on a training process to help channel their potential as they grow so if they need more of one type they just dump more puppies into that 'training' category this month.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

DarkBrandon wrote:actually, Up until I saw a bat up close, I figured the things to be ugly. up close, they are kinda cute (fruit bats), and look like furry pigs.

wrong. bats are ugly as sin.
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

One stray idea that occurred to me once was that Dr. Bradford could possibly combine his "Psi-X" research with Dog Boys or even with Psi-Stalkers.

I do agree that the Ursa Warriors would be good to mass produce if they weren't so limited in the head.

If the CS gets a bit out of control in the sneaky underhanded tactics category, I can see Kill Hounds/Kill Cats getting mass produced and released in areas the CS plans to soften up prior to full scale offensives.

On a side note, such a large scale production/deployment of such dangerous mutants would probably include at least one failsafe to make it easy to terminate them should they get out of control on a large scale, or should they come close to causing trouble the CS doesn't want to deal with. E,g, like if the dangerous mutants ended up going into a blood frenzy of sorts and continued to kill everything to sight even after the enemy is eliminated, which could be bad if there are civilian populations the CS wants to "liberate" from their "empty and misguided lives", or if said civilian population belongs to one of the CS' "friendly neighbors" like NG or FQ.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:wrong. bats are ugly as sin.

Depends a great deal on the type of bat. Many of the fruit bats are inded quite cute. They have normal, dog-like noses, small ears, and big eyes. They look a lot like lemurs and other small mammals.

Their wings, however, are a different story. They are always a bit creepy looking, and I agree with the setniment that bats wouldn't be used because people would freak out seeing giant bats flying overhead.

PigLick
LunarYoma
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Next Mass Produced Mutant

Unread post by LunarYoma »

CyberPaladin85 wrote:Which of the choices do you suppose the CS will use in much greater number in the future?

It is going to be dog boys. Much more controlable in massive numbers than any other mutants, plus much more 'independent' & reliable than skelbots.

want to produce a varienty of mutants. produce dogboys with paticular types of psychic ablities. have dogboy busters & kinetics for example.
Lunaryoma
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

I play the CS smart. They only ever created the most loyal and intelligent animals and would never use anything that wasnt 100% loyal. What does this mean?
-I've limited them to a few dog types
-They never created rats, cats, bears, monkeys, etc.

What did they spend their almost unlimited time and resources doing? They improved the animals they chose to use.
-spies: mini monkeys & birds
-all dog boys are now nullifiers.
-bats, now have seperate arms for wings, look better, & radar isnt detected by devices. Since they will always be in full environmental armor, the looks are hardly necessary. They have been genetically engineered so that all the males are bursters & all the females are zappers. You end up able to grow a loyal creature with natural flight, radar, that can repoduce with both offensive and defensive powers.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

I think the best new addition to the mutant population would be Ursa Warriors. Though they have some problems, if you read a little more carefully you'll see that the mental defects are not present in all the bear breeds. Of those in the text program, (remember, they're still in the experimental stage), those of the Brown Bear and Polar Bear breeds have shown to have an adaquate level or brain power and don't slack off on the job.

Though the trusty ol' Dog Boy is an ideal soldier, the Ursas bring something new to the table - brute strength! No matter how big they make a psi hound it will never have Supernatural Strength. The Ursa Warrors on the other hand have that in spades, enableing them to go toe to toe with the baddest of the bad pretty much on their own terms. Make each pack consist of 8 Dog Boys and 2 Ursas, under the command of a Stalker, and you have yourself one hell of a fighting force for darn near any situation!
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I'm down with the Ursua warrior, I mean even a SAMAS can't haul as much as these big mothers. For shear brute force alone, even if it's just to help build quick defences or lug supplies and ammo then they are worth it.
Infact I'd imagine that the CS would try to mutate Bulls,Oxen or even Mules for their strength as well. I mean it says in the main book that the emporer was thinking of using slave borgs for this purpose - why spend money on capturing and transforming and unwilling slave when you can just make one? I'm sure it's cheaper to mass produce slaves like this which may very well respond to your brainwashing instead of capturing unwilling individuals.

For those that think that it is too much of risk why not just put those explosive chips in their head like in Lone Star and Juicer Uprising? If any get out of line ... BANG!
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Dogboys to do the hazardous duty and a upgraded MDC kill hound for the nasty stuff.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
DarkBrandon wrote:actually, Up until I saw a bat up close, I figured the things to be ugly. up close, they are kinda cute (fruit bats), and look like furry pigs.

wrong. bats are ugly as sin.

What about the foxbat and yes there is one. Or do you just consider anything that looks like a pig to be ugly?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fulcrum wrote:SHEEP! THEY WILL MAKE MUTANT SHEEP!!!

That's Baaaad!

"Hey why's the Capt'n always bring the sheep girl with us on long missions?"

"Don't ask me my Daaaady doesn't tell me anything."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Geronimo-X wrote:Moose and Squirrel :P

Of course they'd have to be prototypes and went rogue so the CS after finding Russia sent for two hunters...
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Geronimo-X wrote:Moose and Squirrel :P

Try Moose and skvirel... :lol:

As for the rest, the best animals are pack animals.

That leaves out almost all cats, almost all birds, etc...

The animals they have modified work because the canine is a pack animal. It craves leadership and community. The cat is not leonid, so it tends to be a solitary hunter. Ursa are also solitary hunters, and outside mating season, bears dislike each other...extremely. Most primates, while not pack animals are social animals, which means ther have no problem joining the community, but will not necessarily obey the person they have been placed under. The bats, well, they are also social animals, but they hunt alone. Finally, the rats...well, rats are social, but they dislike confinement.

If you prove yourself a fool, the dog will still love you. The cat will tolerate you if you keep feeding it, but will loose respect for you. The bear will simply ignore you (or eat you). The monkey will humiliate you. The bat, well, (s)he will put up with you as long as you co-operate and benefit the community.

If they want to mutate anouther race of cannon fodder, you will have to find another species that will love you whatever your faults and no matter how much you screw-up. :lol:
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Being from Alaska, I find it... odd that bears are portrayed as dumb. And that Palladium decided that dogs have better senses of scent and hearing than a bear. Hearing is about equal actually, and a bear has a much better sense of smell. They are also fairly adept at puzzling thing out, and use their great strength effectively after they do so.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

I want a mutant borg horse named 30/30. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

The ony way your idea would work Alz, is if you created the armour to be radar proof...even a person can show up on radar. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

I agree with DeadBoy and the others; The Dog Boy will never be replaced-barring some extreme disaster. The Dog Boys are to loyal by nature, and the Human-Canine bond cannot be so easily set aside by most people I know. I'm more of a cat-owner-type myself, but even I'll admit to feeling an odd sense of kindred spirit within most dogs I meet. You cannot buy/build or program that in. It's instinct (15,000 + years of it)
:ok:

Thanks,
GaredBattlespike
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Dog Boys will never be replaced, but that wont stop Lone Star building other mutants. Just because dog boys are so loyal dosent mean you wouldn't create other mutants for other purposes, after all humans are very independant and resourceful creatures but slavery works fine if the threat is great enough.
I like the idea of mutant horses - they're endurance alone would be worth it, and they respond well to human masters.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".

Return to “Rifts®”