The Spell Cloak of Darkness

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The Spell Cloak of Darkness

Unread post by darthauthor »

The invocation spell Cloak of Darkness on page 200 of the Rifts Ultimate Edition.

So it looks like the spell is vitural invisibility in darkness only.
Kind of like the Spell Chameleon, only at night or in dark places.

Basically it says it is good for a -3 to strike defense.
Negated by infra-red/thermo vision but even then those who use it are -1 to strike.

Question #1:
For those without Thermo/Infra-red, are called shots possible or does this spell negate sniping?

Question #2:
Does it cast a shadow?
Specifically, if it has a shadow can the shadow be used to "Shadow Meld?"

Question #3:
Are vampires safe from the spell "Globe of Daylight" or actual sunlight within the 5 foot radius of the "Cloak of Darkness?"

Question #4:
Are those inside the spell "Cloak of Darkness" protected from the spell "Blinding Flash?"

Question #5:
Are light sources within the "Cloak of Darkness" concealed / limited to within the 5 foot radius?

Question #6:
Are energy rifle shoots at night made at -10 (assuming the virtual invisibility) again the spell caster clad in the Cloak of Darkness?

Question #7:
IF a party used mud or something to mask their bodyheat (NG steal suit, etc.) would it be enough to be "invisibile" at night / in the dark?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: The Spell Cloak of Darkness

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Q1: correct

Q2: generally I would say no to both. But if it is early morning or at dusk it might.

Q3: Vampires: no, the CoD spell lets visible light in....it is just that is doesn't let it out

Q4: BF: no, the CoD spell lets visible light in....it is just that is doesn't let it out.

Q5: the CoD spell lets visible light in....it is just that is doesn't let it out.

Q6: ALL ranged attacks are done at the penalties presented in the spell description.

Q7: If the mage used something to block/contain their body heat then they wouldn't be seen on Thermal optics (sees heat light given off by an object and displayed as varying colors). But ineffective with IR optics (sees the single wave length of reflected IR light that is projected by the optics and displayed in a monochrome scale). [""Oh My""*like George Tekei on Howard Stern show* Did I bring in real world tech description into the game world discussion?....yep]
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

Thanks Drewkitty,

I'm glad I asked the questions.
It changed the way I look at the spell.
I honest thought it did do something like keep light out.

Now I can see using it to conceal a camp fire at night.

I'm just disappointed with the, "ALL ranged attacks are done at the penalties presented in the spell description." response.
darthauthor
Hero

It only occured to me now.

IF you are using this spell "Cloak of Darkness" you can use another spell like "Blinding Flash" because the light won't leave the Cloak/Sphere.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It depends on how far away the mage set the spell off the BF: outside the CoD: absolutely no effect on the BF.

If inside the CoD it depends on how you conceptualize the Area of Effect of the spell:
➽If it is an Illusion spell then the I would say that the CoD would not effect the effects of the BF spell.
➼If it is a point source of 'real light' the mage just blinds herself.
➺if the BF makes a 'real light'' source area fills out the area of effect, then the CoD will only contain what of the AoE is within the CoD.

Though why a mage would stand at ground zero of a BF is a mystery to me. Unless surrounded by enemies he wanted to blind.

The combo of asking about BF and CoD does prod open a question does a BF flash in thermal/IR wavelengths of light too? (Something for GMs to decide.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”