The Spell Magic Net

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The Spell Magic Net

Unread post by darthauthor »

Question #1:

Can you use it like a fishing net to catch fish?

Question #2:
Does it work under-water?

Question #3:
Does W.P. Net, from one of the Underseas books, add a bonus / penality against the opponent's dodge?

Question #4:
Can you use it on a hand-grenade or bomb to subdue the explosion?

Question #5:
Can you set it up between 2 TREES or posts like a real life spider web to make a road block or trap?
Someone runs into it, rides their horse into it, drives their car/motorcycle into it, etc.

Question #6:
Can you cast it to catch you or someone falling so it's like a trampoline?
I am almost positive this was done in a spiderman comic/cartoon.

Question #7:
Can you cast it above your head posted between rocks or trees or underground to catch debris or falling rocks?

Question #8:
Could a dragon cast this spell and then pick up everyone caught in it and fly away with them?
I actually wanted to describe a dragon.
He sees others catching fish and comparing the sizes and numbers of fish they caught. So the dragon flies over the ocean swooping down over the water, casting the spell to catch some fish then flying up with the fish in his "Magic Net."
He lands and shows off the fish he caught.
Last edited by darthauthor on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The Spell Magic Net

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

1 & 2: I don't see why not.

3. No.

4. No, a net is very porous so it wouldn't contain anything. Given the sticky nature of the net though it might "catch" a grenade (though it could also "fly through" the netting gap depending on size ratios).

5. Via TW I would say yes, via normal magic I'd still say yes but it might not be as "secure" as a TW version.

6 & 7. If the net could anchor itself sure it could catch someone who is falling.

8. I'm going to say it's complicated due to duration needs of the spell (30sec per level) and the weight of the victim(s) and the PS of the dragon in question (in other words does the Dragon have the ability to Lift/Carry the victim(s) all at once).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: The Spell Magic Net

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

→Fishing with? yes, subject to Intent & GM choice, see below.
⇒underwater working? It's magic.
⟹As a GM I would not allow this.
⇨No. Though it might keep fragments of the explosive device from flying. GM choice.
⇾I have a house rule that if the player shows inititive in describing the character's intent, I would allow it. Though after "between two trees" my brain went 'Hammock'.
➾Same answer as directly above. Though they would stick to the web.
⇢Depending on the suroundings and a having a stated intent, GM choice.
☛ If midair yes, but would need to recast it before the end of the duration. Or If GM thing you can just 'its a dragon, don't bother me with duration details.
☞ Finally: I would allow it if the player described to me her intent beforehand. And then do some hidden rolls to see if a whale (or bigger) gets caught.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”