The Spell Trance

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The Spell Trance

Unread post by darthauthor »

If the victim fails their save and is in the TRANCE, will they fail their saving throw while there are in under the effects of the spell "Trance?"

For example, the victim is in a TRANCE and the mage casts a Curse upon them or Sickness or Petrification or Mute or Metamorphious?
Last edited by darthauthor on Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The Spell Trance

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

No, they will not fail their save for other magic cast upon them. Each has to be considered separately, though PE bonuses to Save vs Magic might be altered ("All physical attributes function as if they are half of what they really are"-BoM pg103).
darthauthor
Hero

Can the Spells Trance or Domination be used in substitute for the Psionic Healing Power of Deaden Pain?

For Example, the patient is in pain.
1. Cast the Spell.
2. The Patient does not resist.
3. They are in a Trance so they feel no pain.
4. Do the medical proceedure within the Duration of the spell.
5. The patient comes out of the Trance after the duration is up with no memory of what happened while in a Trance. They are just bandaged up.

I imagine they would still be in pain but it would not be as bad of a pain as enduring the procedure without pain killers.

It reminds me that I have not seen any spell in the books to blocks or takes pain away.
I have only seen the spell of Agony which causes pain without injury.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I suppose it could be used as a stand-in for Psi-Deaden Pain.
darthauthor
Hero

Reading this spell over again I think I may have severally underrated it.

Question #1:

IS this spell effectively a STUN a victim?
They can not fight, won't remember anything while under the spells effect, suffer no damage.

Question #2:
The victim, do they just wake up having no idea that they were under the effect of the Trance spell or if they do just that they were asleep or mentally spacing out?

Question #3:
Is it true you can just cast this spell on your victim and go through their pockets robbing them?

Question #4:
Ask them to drink anything?
So they will be drunk by the time the spell wears off. Perhaps impairing memory and explaining their confusion.
Or can you tell them to fall asleep and stay asleep? Will they keep on sleeping or will they wake up after the spell's duration ends?

Question #5:
Can you strap bomb to someone and tell them to just walk and keep on walking?

Question #6:
After you cast the spell and the vicitm fails the save can you just beat the guy up with punches like a punching bag and even kill them?

Question #7:
Does it work on animals, like wild horses or mad (or trained attack) DOGS?

Question #8:
Does the victim of this spell show up on the supernatural radar of the Dog Boys and Psi-Stalkers?
Or does the Trance Spell appear on their Aura if you "See Aura"

Question #9:
1. Cast the spell Trance. IF it works.
2. Strap a radio head-set on the guys head so he can hear your voice.
3. Voice control him for the duration of the spell (still limited according to the rules of the spell) from a distance; even from a mile away.
Does this work?

Yeah, I know it would take a lot of surveillance devices and such.
But hyjacking a security guard these way could open a lot of doors for you.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Q1: While the spell does no damage, they can suffer damage while under the influence. I would not consider it a "stun" per say.

Q2: Correct they won't remember anything. It is doubtful they will be able to go "I was under a Trance Spell" and could try to rationalize things ("how did I get here"), but its going to vary by situation and characters involved here.

Q3: Pretty much

Q4: I don't think they will fall asleep, and as far as consuming something given they can't do harm to themselves that might limit what they will consume (if the entranced character can know its harmful I'd say they won't consume it, then again "harm" could have several levels to consider to).

Q5: No. That would seem to fall under not "harm himself" or "act against his alignment"

Q6: Yes

Q7: I'm going to say no, the spell seems to be toward suppressing a sentient being.

Q8: DogBoys/Psi-Stalkers are likely to sense the active magic on the Trance subject. Auras will show the presence of magic (but not the type/power, see pg175-6 RUE See Aura Psi Power)

Q9: I would say yes, audio relay should still suffice.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”