Portals and Gateways combo question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mr.Scorpio
Newb

Portals and Gateways combo question

Unread post by Mr.Scorpio »

In the description for Create Force Constructs (PU1, page 68/69) they list bonuses for having both Create Force Fields and Create Force Constructs powers. I was surprised when PU3 came out and there weren't similar bonuses for having both Gateways (PU1, page 73) and Portals (PU3, page 87/88).

It usually takes a full melee round to open a Gateway but I think it would be cool for the character with both powers to be able to use the Portal Attack ability to transport their opponent to one of the memorized locations. Maybe also change the duration of the Portals (usually 1D4 melee rounds) to allow the character to keep a portal open as long as they concentrate on it (using up 2 attacks per round) or at least allow them to close the portal at will before the end of the 1D4 rounds.

What do you guys think the benefits should be?
Mr.Scorpio
Newb

Re: Portals and Gateways combo question

Unread post by Mr.Scorpio »

So I remembered that there was a Portal power in Armageddon Unlimited (page 19 & 20) and it looks like it's somewhere between the two. It does lack the Portal Attack sub ability from the Powers Unlimited 3 version but I figured it would work as a template.

Heroes with both the Gateways and Portal powers: The two powers will work together seamlessly granting the following benefits:
Creating a pair of portals/gateways counts as one melee attack/action. The portals can be held open as long as the character concentrates on it (uses 1 action per melee).
The Portal Attack ability can be connected to any of the character's marked locations.
Increase the strike bonus to +3.
Add 30 feet to the range of the entrance portal and 100 feet to the range of the exit portal.
Add 3 to the characters total marked Gateway locations.

Having to use one action to create the entrance portal and a second action to create the exit portal feels more like a video game than a super power. I feel like the creation of the entrance and exit should be almost simultaneous. Like a single door opening.

Anyway, that's what I came up with so far.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Portals and Gateways combo question

Unread post by Grazzik »

Mr.Scorpio wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:50 pm So I remembered that there was a Portal power in Armageddon Unlimited (page 19 & 20) and it looks like it's somewhere between the two. It does lack the Portal Attack sub ability from the Powers Unlimited 3 version but I figured it would work as a template.
Anyway, that's what I came up with so far.
Never had to work through that scenario myself, but curious how it play tests in your game. If it feels right to you, then :ok:

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”