Techo-Wizard Character

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hadeshorn
D-Bee

Techo-Wizard Character

Unread post by Hadeshorn »

So I need some assistance.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a technowizard but not. We're planning a giant robots vs kaiju campaign and are looking for something for thr 3rd member. We've got a Mutant Chimp Psi Tech and a Malvoren.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Techo-Wizard Character

Unread post by Grazzik »

Gizmoteer (WB9 pg 157) "a special brand of psychic, similar to the techno-wizard"
Hadeshorn
D-Bee

Oh, nice. That may do it for him. Thanks. I thought about going through some of the space books to see if anyone out there has some cool space technomage.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Dimension Book 6: Three Galaxies has the Techno-Smithy, which is almost strictly a downgrade to a Techno-Wizard. For "optional" material one might consider the Weapon Mage from Rifter 10, pg 76, the Necro-Tech and Techno-Shifter(if looking for something different this one is worth a look) from Rifter 13, pg 71, and the TW variants from Rifter 2, pg 66: Texas Slinger, TW Aviator, TW Gun Bunny, TW Thief, TW Vamp Hunter, Seduced TW. Many of those OCCs would need to incorporate at least some material from the standard TW in a RUE game.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The only technical problem with the Gizmoteer is that it is one of the Stoneman RCCs. Not available to non-stonemen.
The real problem is that the class is broken, because the rules for item creation are broken.

I took a go or two at writing a Psi-item crafter. One is posted in the PF forum .....
viewtopic.php?t=172222
The writing is mostly PF themed, but is broadly written as to be able to used in most of the PB games.

The other is as long as the TW creation rules, or a bit longer. (Too long to just post here, and (was) too long to PM to someone.(don't know about now though.) I shared it with one of the posters here and he said it was clunky. Probably because I was using the TW creation rules in RUE as a guide for what topics needed to be covered, and was trying to cover a lot of the problems I could see in making psi-devices.
They also are written so the char can upgrade a existing device rather than just using the parts of a existing device to make a psionic item. (I've always disliked how the TW creation rules are really just for taking a tech item and making a magic item out of the parts.)
The "class" as it is is written to be used in the Heroes Unlimited char creation rules. A combination of Psychic and Hardware power cat's. And not something someone can just "change classes' to.
(if you want to look, ask.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As noted the Gizmoteer is technically restricted to the Amaiki race in SA2. However, it should be noted that there are a few references to a similar class existing outside of the Amaiki in SA2 (Vernulians found in the original WB1:VK writeup on pg171 could select "techno-wizard with a psionic/ISP orientation" and WB12 Psycape has the "Faculty of Psychic Technology" that "is a science similar to Techo-Wizardry" on pg31) though neither example I can think of go into the specifics what the OCC would look like (the Vernulian reference seems to have been dropped in WB30, and I don't have WB1 revised).

There may also be an indirect loophole to the RCC in question, another Amaki RCC (Duelist pg156 in WB9: SA2, last paragraph on the page) does allow humans (and other psi-races) to take the class which a GENEROUS GM could use as justification for other Amaki RCCs as a HOUSERULE.

Other "bulider" OCCs that come to mind are:
-Farie Bot RCC (TW like OCC) found in WB20 or WB30
-Eco-Wizard (TW like) foud in WB26
-magical "black smiths" like the Kunzi (sp? in Mystic Russia) or Nuhr Dwarves (SB4/WB30) exist (IIRC WB3 might also have something)
-Japan (WB8) does have the TW Ninja OCC (weather it's enough of a variation for your group I don't know)
-the Magi class that creates the Automatons (WB16: FoM) might also work
Hadeshorn
D-Bee

Thanks for the various suggestions. He read over the expanded TW stuff if Rifter 2 and is going to stick with a traditional TW. Now for an RCC.... he's looking either Atlantean or Asgardian Dwarf as wants to have a little bit of MDC.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The two things are Race & Class. Not Class and Class.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”