Do Psi-Swords heat things up?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Do Psi-Swords heat things up?

Unread post by darthauthor »

So if a cyber-knight used their psi-sword can they use it to heat up water?

Like in a bathtube for a victim of frostbite.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Do Psi-Swords heat things up?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have always assumed no as it is just psychic energy formed into a blade but you might want to read the the description in the Cyber-Knights book of the SoT. I believe it says something about the different colors and it might even sayn something about temperature.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would assume that as there is no mention of it having a heat component to the damage that it isn't fire/plasma/heat.
And thus it would be slightly less efficient than sticking a vibro blade in water to warm it up...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nope, the blade is psychic energy, and is a blade. Not a LS, nor a plasma sword.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The X-Man Cyclops is sometimes described as having a portal to the Punch Dimension in his face, since he doesn't so much have eye lasers as reactionless kinetic energy beams.

I reckon a Psi-Sword is akin to that.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

OH,

I want a light-saber so I can play a Jedi
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

darthauthor wrote:OH,

Make a psychic PC, give them an obsession for wearing a bathrobe, wielding a Wilk's Laser Sword (Merc Ops pg 104)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Grazzik wrote:
darthauthor wrote:OH,

Make a psychic PC, give them an obsession for wearing a bathrobe, wielding a Wilk's Laser Sword (Merc Ops pg 104)

Crazy.
They get the hyper reflexes, psionic powers and the insanities "Always wears robes" and "only uses energy swords"
Down side is that they will be doomed to train up someone more plot relevant than they are, and they know it. And that they will be hounded by IP lawyers...
Bonus quirk for "always heats their bath with their plasma sword"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

eliakon wrote:And that they will be hounded by IP lawyers...

:lol: Perhaps a contract for elimination to the Naruni by an extradimensional "What? This Knee? Film Co." The PC is chased constantly by Molocks who appear at inconvenient times saying only "Grout... yer bathtub" in a strong regional accent, say, when the PC is taking a luxurious heated bath and isn't wearing their bathrobe so their powers are reduced...
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

eliakon wrote:And thus it would be slightly less efficient than sticking a vibro blade in water to warm it up...

Which, you gotta admit, is a metal way for a merc to heat water for his coffee... just stick his vibro-knife in a thermos and let the water heat up from the microvibrations.

"Why is he taking his vibrosword to the bathroom? Does he expect toilnet ninjas?"
"Nah. Just that hot baths are an extra 30 credits, and the vibrosword heats it up for free."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:So if a cyber-knight used their psi-sword can they use it to heat up water?

Like in a bathtube for a victim of frostbite.

Directly, no. The Psi-Sword is composed of multiple types of energy (there is a reference in WB9: SA2 that Psi-Sword is composed of "psychic energies", pg165 in the Amaki TW Psi-Blade). Nor is there any indication that you can use it to "heat" something directly, its damage is possibly a composite of different energy types (TK, EK, mental bolts of force, etc).

Now, Indirectly... That might be possible if you can convert the energy of a psi-sword attack (treating it as kinetic energy) into heat energy. (the cook a chicken by slapping it with your hand meme from a few years back). Now from a pure math physics perspective assuming perfect conversion of the KE of the Psi-Sword strike into heat energy the answer is yes. However, converting that perfectly is unlikely (look up the meme's analysis by science educator Kyle Hill on Youtube), plus you'd have to come up with a conversion for the realworld units (J) into the game mechanic unit (MD). Though at this point it might just be easier and faster to just rub a couple of sticks together to start a fire to heat the water.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Eilakon, Gazzik, LG, ...

*chuckles*
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”