Rangers and Superior Bowmanship or W.P. Archery?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

Re: Rangers and Superior Bowmanship or W.P. Archery?

Unread post by Prysus »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:So I'm making a Ranger from the main book, pg. 90. I see that and I see the note saying they can get the special superior bowmanship detailed on pg. 83.

Greetings and Salutations. I'll start by asking this question: Where in the Ranger O.C.C. on page 90, does it refer the reader back to page 83 (as per your claim)? Where in the Ranger O.C.C. on page 90 does it specifically state "special superior bowmanship" (per your claim)?

What I see (all quotes from the Palladium Fantasy Second Edition main book, using a 3rd Printing) is the following information ...

Note: The ranger is the only O.C.C. that is allowed to take the long bow as a weapon proficiency - considered a separate W.P. from W.P. Archery. The archery skill covers all other types of bows. The ranger can pick one, both or neither; not all rangers are proficient with the bow and arrow.

The section does not refer me back to the Long Bowman O.C.C., the Long Bowman's O.C.C. special skill of Superior Bowmanship, or page 83. If I missed something, please let me know.

The section also states that taking the long bow is "a separate W.P." (which means it's still a Weapon Proficiency). When we look at W.P. Archery on page 59 we have another note.

Note: The long bow is exclusive to the Long Bowman and Ranger O.C.C.s.
[snip]
Average Ranges:
Long Bow - 640 ft (195 m)

Here we see that the Long Bow is still detailed under the W.P. Archery skill, just that access to it is exclusive.

Additionally, if we look at the Long Bowman O.C.C. on page 84 under their O.C.C. Skills we'll see: "W.P. Archery (all bows)." So with the O.C.C. that has access to the Long Bow, they add a special note to W.P. Archery.

The way I take all of this information is that the Ranger O.C.C. may select W.P. Archery (long bows) and/or W.P. Archery (all bows not long bows), or neither of them.

Further notes: Long Bowman O.C.C., page 83, Superior Bowmanship
The dedication to the use of the long bow ...
[snip]
Use these in place of the W.P. Archery numbers when using a long bow ...

Does the Ranger have "dedication to the use of the long bow"? If we look at the Ranger O.C.C. (in the above quote), we know that "not all rangers are proficient with the bow and arrow." So not only is the Ranger NOT dedicated to the long bow, they're not even dedicated to the bow and arrow. So the description of Superior Bowmanship doesn't make sense for a ranger. When we get to the benefits of "Superior" Bowmanship, we also not that the "Superior" aspects grant different numbers than W.P. Archery, which suggests that if it's not "Superior" then it would use the same bonuses from W.P. Archery.

Now, I'm willing to consider additional evidence if I missed some points of interest. However, by what I'm currently seeing, I don't find any evidence to suggest a Ranger is supposed to get "Special Abilities of the Long Bowman." Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Based on the LBM's archery (all bows) it can be taken that a char has to take a WP for each type of bow the char wants to use. Under that way of looking at things, The ranger is the only character class that can take the LB WP. But only with the Archery WP RoF & bonuses.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I read it as
WP Archery - gets archery negative with longbows, but does include all bows.
WP Archery (Longbow) - negates Archery negative with longbows, can only be taken by rangers
Longbowman gets a special class ability, not WP that negates the Archery negative, but this ability also adds a negative with shortbows and crossbows to WP Archery.

So WP Archery lets you use all bow weapons.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

1st Ed is simpler, as there is a WP for each bow type, and only 6 classes i think can use the LongBow.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

kiralon wrote:1st Ed is simpler, as there is a WP for each bow type, and only 6 classes i think can use the LongBow.

If memory serves, even 1st ed. restricted WP Longbow to Longbowman and Ranger. However, for the Longbowman it's an OCC Skill while it was an optional available proficiency choice for the Ranger.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

If you look in yin sloth jungles there are several classes that say WP all, without exception
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

in 1st ed mian book it says
Ranger is the only other O .C.C. that is able to take the long bow as a weapon proficiency.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

but yin sloth adds a few

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”