Mega Damage Armor question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Robotech_Elder
Wanderer

Mega Damage Armor question

Unread post by Robotech_Elder »

Where can I find stats for MDC armor for a 12 foot humanoid creature?
For the Glory of the Zentraedi and Khyron!!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Mega Damage Armor question

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

12ft tall? They qualify as giant-size, so you'd have to look for armors with that as an option. Or go with a portable force field system (Mercenaries, Phaseworld, a few others). Both Naruni (in the Wave 2 Dimension Book) and Northern Gun (MercOps, likely elsewhere) have examples.
Examples:
NG-A10 Body Armor (Merc Ops pg89)
NE-BA-26 (Naruni Wave 2)
Dragon Skin Armor (DBoNA pg158 in the Pogtail entry technically as this D-Bee can be 12ft tall, though is more likely to be larger so suits should be available)

Some of the Juicer Body Armors in WB10 should also be viable, along with Borg armor (though it will be non-EBA, 'borgs can get this size IIRC), Gargoyle (WB5). Rifts Conversion Book 1Revised (pg96) implies that it will be custom built affairs.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:12ft tall? They qualify as giant-size, so you'd have to look for armors with that as an option. Or go with a portable force field system (Mercenaries, Phaseworld, a few others). Both Naruni (in the Wave 2 Dimension Book) and Northern Gun (MercOps, likely elsewhere) have examples.
Examples:
NE-BA-26 (Naruni Wave 2)
Dragon Skin Armor (DBoNA pg158 in the Pogtail entry technically as this D-Bee can be 12ft tall, though is more likely to be larger so suits should be available)

Some of the Juicer Body Armors in WB10 should also be viable, along with Borg armor (though it will be non-EBA, 'borgs can get this size IIRC), Gargoyle (WB5). Rifts Conversion Book 1Revised (pg96) implies that it will be custom built affairs.

I believe there was also an entry possibly in new west or one of the black market books that many suits of armor can be "resized, or customized" to fit larger, characters or those with different and or additional limbs.

so for instance standard bushman costs 32,000 but for say an extra fee (like 10,000) it can be fitted to someone with 4 arms, or who is "bigger" note the 10,000 extra fee was just off the top of my head and not the actual additional cost.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

The armor dealer in Rifts: Splynn Dimensional Market produces custom over-sized armor & lists prices and stats. I'd suggest offering those same suits elsewhere at a significant markup
Ambrosius
D-Bee

Unread post by Ambrosius »

The Titan Plate armor in Northern Gun 2 will also work. It's made for juicers, but will work for all tall humanoids like my Titan. The penalties are pretty good for the size and weight.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

Just because the armor is bigger doesn't mean that it would have more MDC. Also I don't see why somebody wouldn't just make you a larger version of something that already exists.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Juicer Titan Plate is the most logical choice
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There is the custom armor in SA2. the homemade armor ins Australia for armor that can be made for a char of 'not human size'.

Off the Cuff I would agree that the Titan Juicer Plate from JU (or as Ambr. said NG2) should give an appropriate amount of MDC in the armor for a 12 foot tall char.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There is the custom armor in SA2. the homemade armor ins Australia for armor that can be made for a char of 'not human size'.

Off the Cuff I would agree that the Titan Juicer Plate from JU (or as Ambr. said NG2) should give an appropriate amount of MDC in the armor for a 12 foot tall char.

Did we just become best friends! Lol.

Also Cool artwork.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

There is stats for larger dog boy armor in loan star, most armor is not stated for different sizes. Typically when they do they increase the MDC when they enlarge it.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I'd also like to know what armor we can find for a 12 inch tall humanoid creature. Or do they all need to get Naruni force field belts like Eowyna in Mercs?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

What about Mystic Kunzya crafted Armor?
Even 12 in tall platemail should have 400mdc
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Axelmania wrote:I'd also like to know what armor we can find for a 12 inch tall humanoid creature. Or do they all need to get Naruni force field belts like Eowyna in Mercs?

Faerie Bot D-Bee (Fraanids) are 8-12" tall, are SDC beings (unlike true faeries IIRC) who rely primarily on their robotic pods, but DO have MDC body armor as an option (along with magic). Check WB30 DoNA pg76-79, specifically their standard equipment for a suit of EBA

ShadowLogan wrote:12ft tall? They qualify as giant-size, so you'd have to look for armors with that as an option. Or go with a portable force field system (Mercenaries, Phaseworld, a few others). Both Naruni (in the Wave 2 Dimension Book) and Northern Gun (MercOps, likely elsewhere) have examples.
Examples:
NE-BA-26 (Naruni Wave 2)

I can also add the Bruutasaur (DBoNA pg37-40) under their equipment mentions stats for patchwork, medium and heavy body armor. Apparently Bandito (and formerly NG) were happy to provide to the list of examples of 12ft-ers.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I disagree about Cyborg armor, because it's attached directly to the borg. Unless the giant has screw holes and hooks put in that is kind of a no go.
Axelmania
Knight

Well I mean, if they are already MDC and are willing to suffer some pain...

Did not think about the Faerie Bots. I think I'd like to try 'shrink self to 6 inches' and pilot one... but maybe that's too small, if 8 inch is minimum?
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Axelmania wrote:I'd also like to know what armor we can find for a 12 inch tall humanoid creature. Or do they all need to get Naruni force field belts like Eowyna in Mercs?

Wouldn't the 12" tall creature be smaller than the Naruni Force Field Generator?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

dragonfett wrote:

Wouldn't the 12" tall creature be smaller than the Naruni Force Field Generator?

I would think so.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

say652 wrote:I disagree about Cyborg armor, because it's attached directly to the borg. Unless the giant has screw holes and hooks put in that is kind of a no go.

You don't necessarily have to treat it completely as cyborg armor as you have at least two ways to use it:
-just use cyborg armor stats themselves for the 12ft-er, but assume it was designed for non-borgs
-require an inner suit/webbing that has to be worn by the 12ft tall individual for the stock cyborg armor to attach to.

Axelmania wrote:Did not think about the Faerie Bots. I think I'd like to try 'shrink self to 6 inches' and pilot one... but maybe that's too small, if 8 inch is minimum?

You'd be 50-75% of their size. You might have trouble with one for a 12" pilot, but the smaller 8" pilot is probably doable. If a 4ft8" person can drive car that can accommodate a 6ft person, than a 6" person should be able to operate something intended for an 8" person. Granted you might still need something to help accommodate your smaller size (like extensions, or psi-powers).

Then again a TW suit to shrink you down could be tailored to stop before 6" in the spell given a TW can alter parameters of a spell effect (ex. given in RUE uses Carpet of Adhesion on tires for better traction, reduce CoA strength for longer duration). We know Giant Spell can work (MercOps), so the reverse should also be possible.

dragonfett wrote:Wouldn't the 12" tall creature be smaller than the Naruni Force Field Generator?

IIRC the faerie in Mercenaries had their's specially modified, so stock system is unlikely but a customized one is viable. Granted TW/magical versions might also be easier and cheaper than a custom modified Naruni FFG.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Cyborg armor clearly states it can only be used by Cyborgs.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

say652 wrote:Cyborg armor clearly states it can only be used by Cyborgs.

IMO that's more of a "yes but"
To expand my thought on the subject. Cyborg armor as designed is obviously intended for use by cyborgs, which means at the simplest that it doesn't have things like straps and such because its not intended to be attached to "people" its intended to be bolted on to what amounts to robots or other machines. so all the standard attachment points are essentially going to have some kind of screws or bolts as the intended connectors, it is unlikely to have full environmental sealing provisions, and "padding" as such is a non issue, shielding or impact dampening might be factors but ...

what this all comes down to is unmodified borg armor is for borgs.
but then you also have the coalition CA-6C and CA-6EX armor the 6C is cyborg armor, and the 6EX is essentially the same armor plating fitted onto a exoskeleton frame. which indicates (or implies) that it would definitely be possible to "modify" cyborg armor into something that could be used by non cyborgs. whether such modification happens at the factory, or in the "field" IMO this is one of the places where the construction and modification rules are (arguably) excessively vague.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So flexing rules is ok for this but not a cyborg with four arms?
I'm an all or nothing type of person.

There is no such thing as in this case.
Axelmania
Knight

say652 wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

I would think so.

Probably smaller than a standard one, but Eowyna has a custom-built smaller one she uses that has less MDC. No idea how much it would cost to buy though. Probably a lot since it isn't mass-produced... yet.

Couldn't a Men-Rall from SA2 examine one and learn how to build it via their RCC ability to understand any tech with enough examination?
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Jotun Giants craft MDC armor for giants in RCB1, although no stats given. Through conjecture, it seems they are producing the Gurgoyle armor used by the Gargoyle Empire in Europe. Find a Jotun and he can can likely craft you that armor, or something similar.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Rifts®”