Storming Atlantis.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Storming Atlantis.

Unread post by say652 »

Ok a combined attack, soldiers from everywhere are storming the beaches of Atlantis.

Any playable character.

A three front war.
North.
East.
Southern.

Exactly how doomed is the assualt?

What actually stands a chance?

Cyborg Shock Troopers as the main Ground Force.

Samas as the Air Strike units.

Glitter Boys providing the shock troop force backing up the Borgs.

Mages cast Anti Magic clouds to keep the trench battle style possible.

Psychics to psionic things.
kaid
Knight

Re: Storming Atlantis.

Unread post by kaid »

Any kind of conventional type attack is probably not going to work. Atlantis has multiple worlds of military to call on if it got into trouble. It would be nearly impossble short of some super weapon or ability to short out the transdimensional access atlantis has of kicking the splugorth out. The ability to call in millions of troops to defend what is basically a large island I just don't see how you would make that work as an attacker.

You would have more luck with surgical assassination attempts but even those are unlikely to succeed.
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Unbeknownst to the combined forces of Earth who are attacking Atlantis, secret CS Operatives storm Splynncryth's bed chambers and toss a hand held tactical nuke in his murky water bed.

On the way out, giggling Special Forces Trooper Private Ryan, gets a Blind Warrior Woman's phone number...
Dan Frederick
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

A couple other challenges for you to consider.

Anti-Magic Cloud
Looking at the actual numbers, AMC costs 140 PPE per shot and lasts five minutes per level, covering a 100 ft radius per level, making it more effective for pinpoint strikes rather than a full scale invasion that may stretch for miles. Your mage cadre may have difficulty maintaining their shield for more than the initial landing and they may not be able to provide coverage to your entire force, if you even make it that far.

Similarly, you will have to contend with splugorth casters countering with their own AMCs; which will prevent (or hinder) your casters from casting anything, including AMC, once under their effect. Your battlefield is likely to look like a quilt after a few minutes with your forces huddled under one AMC and theirs under another. Probably not for long though as that will make both forces more vulnerable to conventional bombardment.

Ley Line Storms & Pyramids
In addition to the prodigious conventional and magical military assets that the Splugorth can bring to bear, your force will also have to overcome the ley line storms of the Bermuda Triangle (WB2 p12). The splugorth forces occupying the pyramids can control these (WB2 p105), so you can count on encountering them. The pyramids will also prevent your mages from recovering PPE via the ley lines they're connected to (WB2, p104). You may be able to find uncapped nexuses or lines that aren't connected to a pyramid, but those are likely to have protective forces deployed along them.

I'm actually assuming that AMC will work to suppress ley line storms when it may or may not, I haven't seen a specific statement that it overcomes ley lines. Unless you're bypassing the demon sea somehow, your mages may exhaust their PPE reserves suppressing the ley line storms there.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

Dust off and nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure. ;)
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Won't work. the book says explictly that atlantis's garrison is strong enough to conquer every power on earth, simultaniously, without any chance of failure. if you give them the HOME FIELD advantage on top, it would be a laughable and pathetic slaughter.

the only thing stopping Splynn from conquering the earth is the fact it won't be worth the trouble to deal with all the cosmic powers he'd **** off by doing so.

You are far, FAR more likely to be able to assassinate splyncryth with a small, extremely powerful group. but a head on attack is just going to get them all killed.

Also, take a look at splyncyrth's ships. his nuclear missile crusiers will just drop nukes on all the transports--likely before the real battle even starts.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Won't work. the book says explictly that atlantis's garrison is strong enough to conquer every power on earth, simultaniously, without any chance of failure. if you give them the HOME FIELD advantage on top, it would be a laughable and pathetic slaughter.

the only thing stopping Splynn from conquering the earth is the fact it won't be worth the trouble to deal with all the cosmic powers he'd **** off by doing so.

You are far, FAR more likely to be able to assassinate splyncryth with a small, extremely powerful group. but a head on attack is just going to get them all killed.

Also, take a look at splyncyrth's ships. his nuclear missile crusiers will just drop nukes on all the transports--likely before the real battle even starts.

Welp, sounds like this is a job for a god.

Could always drop a Tsar bomba, wouldn't leave much behind, though the island would likely be uni habitable for a while. Hope your not looking for spoils of war.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nothing is Unbeatable, including Atlantis.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:Nothing is Unbeatable, including Atlantis.

Sure you can beat it, but that dosn't mean you can beat it in a head-on clash with hilariously outnumbered resources.

So lets say you do have an army of hundreds of thousands of cyborgs. so what? Atlantis has zillions of troops. that's not an exageration, it actually spells out that the kydian powerloard armies number in the zillions. And that splynncyrth can throw away BILLIONS of them fighting a war and not even NOTICE the loss. and that's only a SINGLE minion, and thus only a fraction of the total minions and resources in atlantis.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Sure you can beat it, but that dosn't mean you can beat it in a head-on clash with hilariously outnumbered resources.

So lets say you do have an army of hundreds of thousands of cyborgs. so what? Atlantis has zillions of troops. that's not an exageration, it actually spells out that the kydian powerloard armies number in the zillions. And that splynncyrth can throw away BILLIONS of them fighting a war and not even NOTICE the loss. and that's only a SINGLE minion, and thus only a fraction of the total minions and resources in atlantis.

That assumes he.considers Atlantis worth fighting over. There comes a time when fighting just isn't worth it. Granted it would takes the combined efforts of many nations joining forces and attacking, or perhaps a push by Dyval or Hades to put such thoughts into the big guys head.

Actually, when the stars are right, Cthulhu will be unbeatable.

H. P. Lovecraft
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The book does seam to show that he considers Atlantis a valuable resource and would protect it.

They never said Atlantis could not be defeated they said no force on rifts earth can defeat it.
So yes there are things out there that can defeat it but not a direct assault from the small forces found on rifts earth.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Blue_Lion wrote:The book does seam to show that he considers Atlantis a valuable resource and would protect it.

They never said Atlantis could not be defeated they said no force on rifts earth can defeat it.
So yes there are things out there that can defeat it but no a direct assault from the small forces found on rifts earth.

I said there was nothing on earth that can beat atlantis, as atlantis is explictly said to be able to conquer the entire planet with only minor issues. I never said it could not be beaten by forces outside of earth. ;)

Blue_Lion
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:The book does seam to show that he considers Atlantis a valuable resource and would protect it.

So yes there are things out there that can defeat it but no a direct assault from the small forces found on rifts earth.

I said there was nothing on earth that can beat atlantis, as atlantis is explictly said to be able to conquer the entire planet with only minor issues. I never said it could not be beaten by forces outside of earth. ;)

I was talking to says652
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I was talking to says652

And I will now respond after I say "Burn!"

I think a combined effort by the warlords and the coalition and England could put enough trouble on Splynncryths doorstep to keep most if his army engaged allowing an elite team to attempt assassination of the Splugorth leader.

I realized all this orbital bombardment criizzzappp would not happen.

The Atlantis warriors would meet the invaders head on to slaughter and humiliate them.

Bets would be placed, slaves would be harvested and a fun time would be had by all.

-20000 cool points for anybody saying Nuke or orbital bombardment on my posts.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I was talking to says652

And I will now respond after I say "Burn!"

I think a combined effort by the warlords and the coalition and England could put enough trouble on Splynncryths doorstep to keep most if his army engaged allowing an elite team to attempt assassination of the Splugorth leader.

I realized all this orbital bombardment criizzzappp would not happen.

The Atlantis warriors would meet the invaders head on to slaughter and humiliate them.

Bets would be placed, slaves would be harvested and a fun time would be had by all.

But it's just so much FUN to nuke armies of cyborgs. I just can't help but mentioning it :D :lol:

But sinse my joke is getting old, I'll simply come out and say the real point I was hinting at all along.

Air Power. all your armies so far are primarly ground forces, but warfare has taught us that air power is the key to winning in a high-technology fight. even without nukes, carpet bombing is something cyborgs ARE very vunerable to--one of the few things that can kill them in large numbers quickly, and Atlantis has great air power. if you want this to work, you'll need to bring some kind of air force to the party in a big way.

Yes, you can have some borgs with Radar who can shoot down Missiles, but you cannot shoot down bombs or artillery shells, so you need something else to take out those enemy assets or else your army will be whittled down by fire they cannot respond to.

Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Unread post by Raze_7 »

This might work, but only if a few things occur.

First, no power on earth is going to stop them. But, you don't have to only worry about powers from earth. It would be quite possible to recruit a small army of Angels from Palladium to support your attack. Hell, they can function as both your air support and ground fighters. And it has been proven that an army of Angels can kill the biggest threats in the megaverse, because they fought off an assault from the Old Ones themselves, but have never recovered their numbers. Fortunately, Splyncryth is a piece of cake compared to any Old One.

Second, you have to have a way of irradiating the surrounding landscape to prevent any supernatural creatures from regenerating (fortunately, this wouldn't hurt your magical allies, because they should be mostly creatures of magic and not supernatural creatures). I'm sorry Mr. Say652, but the most effective way of doing this would be to use quite a few nuclear devices, set off shortly before the invasion. This would mean that you would have to send in people in EBA first.

Third, remove the "home-field advantage." Do like the Allies did to Berlin and strategically bomb the crap out of it. Then, strategically bomb it some more. And some more. And some more. You get the picture. Maybe even convince one of the groups of Mutants in Orbit to move to another station and de-orbit their previous one on top of Atlantis. Blast away at the landmass underneath by undermining it, or get a deity to sacrifice him/herself to use the Possess Tectonic Plate ability to just vaporize the place. In fact, if you can pull off that last one, you wouldn't even have to invade. You could just smash the plate apart, destroy the city, and spawn volcanoes under the Pyramids.

Psychics would work pretty well here, because mages would lack a lot of the PPE that they need to cast spells. And, Mind Melters could mentally possess the enemy's slaves/gladiators.

Fourth, use the power of the Rifts to bring in allies. Even a massive human army from Chaos Earth would help.

Finally, this would definitely need multinational cooperation. It would definitely be hard to convince the Gargoyles, Vampires, CS, Triax, Federation of Magic, Psychape, Soulharvest, and Phoenix Empire to work together, but doing so would create a massive powerhouse. Also, it would weaken the economic strength of the Splugorth. Besiege them for a few years, make them destitute, and they may start evacuating, going away for more promising worlds. Once the evacuation is underway, you can feel free to slaughter them using your multinational, multidimensional armies.
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Sorry, but nukes are the only way to level the playing field between you and your supernatural enemies. Not only would the explosions themselves deal damage, but the radiation would prevent any supernatural creature from regenerating.
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Tags"[quote="say652 wrote:Nothing is Unbeatable, including Atlantis.

Actually, when the stars are right, Cthulhu will be unbeatable.[/quote]

Not technically true. Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth could slaughter Cthulhu and his cults, on their own. That's because they are Elder Gods, which are FAR more powerful than mere Old Ones.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Yes, you can have some borgs with Radar who can shoot down Missiles, but you cannot shoot down bombs or artillery shells, so you need something else to take out those enemy assets or else your army will be whittled down by fire they cannot respond to.

The US military begs to differ.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

If you can some how shut down/siphon off the ley lines/nexus points by maybe capping them farther up their line it could be possible. If you can choke off their pyramids and ability to call in reinforcements from other dimensions they would have to fall back on only the resources they have locally which would still be incredibly challenging but may be doable especially if one is willing to use city buster weapons.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The Beast wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Yes, you can have some borgs with Radar who can shoot down Missiles, but you cannot shoot down bombs or artillery shells, so you need something else to take out those enemy assets or else your army will be whittled down by fire they cannot respond to.

Yes with directed energy weapons shooting down motar fire and artillery would be pretty simple. They follow a basically undeviating easy to calculate tragectory. The main problem currently is the munitions needed to hit them are more expensive than the rounds fired at you so are of limited utility. Add in directed energy weapon like a laser it would be pretty simple to render motar/artillery useless or close to it.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

The Beast wrote:

I am going by game rules, not IRL rules :P :lol:

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am going by the three prong borg army managing to secure at least one section of coast,then start swarming with everything.

If it can inflict damage send it to attack Atlantis.
Eventually they will lose.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:I am going by the three prong borg army managing to secure at least one section of coast,then start swarming with everything.

If it can inflict damage send it to attack Atlantis.
Eventually they will lose.

Who, Atlantis or the Borg army?

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Atlantis, once we establish a front the seige can begin in full.
This is a gain terrain tactic.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Won't work. the book says explictly that atlantis's garrison is strong enough to conquer every power on earth, simultaniously, without any chance of failure.

Could this possible exclude forces like Psyscape/City of Brass/Naruni/Pantheons since they're all stationed inter-dimensionally?

Nekira Sudacne wrote:take a look at splyncyrth's ships. his nuclear missile crusiers will just drop nukes on all the transports--likely before the real battle even starts.

A lot of ships come with mini-missiles to shoot those down when they come in volleys, and if they don't, a simple power armor escort could serve that purpose.

A guy with Ext Spd per HU2p80 gets 4 attacks to try and shoot down missile, give him a mini-missle launcher (maybe one of those naruni micro-missile ones) and it's set. Besides mutants and stuff, Century Station opened this up to a bunch of low-level ancient master Genin who might be recruited for this role.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Atlantis has zillions of troops. that's not an exageration, it actually spells out that the kydian powerloard armies number in the zillions.

Definitely a Z? *looks up* "A zillion is a fictitious, indefinitely large number." well this doesn't help me...

*looks more* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zillion_(anime) that's more like it
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:Atlantis, once we establish a front the seige can begin in full.
This is a gain terrain tactic.

How precicely do you figure Atlantis will lose to the borg swarm when their own swarm is several orders of magnitude larger with more advanced weapons technology, magic, and bio-borgs that are much stronger than the russian borgs? Again, they can lose 1000 Overlords for every 1 borg and not have lost a significant precentage of their forces. In fact, they wouldn't have lost any other minions at all, either.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Won't work. the book says explictly that atlantis's garrison is strong enough to conquer every power on earth, simultaniously, without any chance of failure.

Could this possible exclude forces like Psyscape/City of Brass/Naruni/Pantheons since they're all stationed inter-dimensionally?

Nekira Sudacne wrote:take a look at splyncyrth's ships. his nuclear missile crusiers will just drop nukes on all the transports--likely before the real battle even starts.

A lot of ships come with mini-missiles to shoot those down when they come in volleys, and if they don't, a simple power armor escort could serve that purpose.

A guy with Ext Spd per HU2p80 gets 4 attacks to try and shoot down missile, give him a mini-missle launcher (maybe one of those naruni micro-missile ones) and it's set. Besides mutants and stuff, Century Station opened this up to a bunch of low-level ancient master Genin who might be recruited for this role.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Atlantis has zillions of troops. that's not an exageration, it actually spells out that the kydian powerloard armies number in the zillions.

Definitely a Z? *looks up* "A zillion is a fictitious, indefinitely large number." well this doesn't help me...

*looks more* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zillion_(anime) that's more like it

Don't blame me, it says so right on page 47 of atlantis. Zillions. and billions may be killed in any given engagemnet without any real problems. With that in mind, i'd say psyscape, city of brass, and china would all fall too without any real issues.

AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

I see alot of Metzla getting their needed iron supplements.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

It is going to take a whole pantheon and like three of my munchkins to pull this off.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:It is going to take a whole pantheon and like three of my munchkins to pull this off.

That's not really very elaborative. also if you bring in a panethon, Splynn will counter by bringing in even more forces from other worlds he's already conquered.

Basically, if you already knew you were going to say Atlantis loses no matter what, why open a topic on it at all? just do whatever you want in your own game. but don't ask "exactly how doomed is the assult" if you are just going to ignore the answer and do whatever you really wanted to do in the first place.

It's one thing to open a topic of "How would an assult on atlantis work". it's another thing to open with "here's an assult on atlantis, only I'm not actually telling you everything I have planned. Also I've already decided it's going to work and i'm just going to ignore anything in the books that says it won't".

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Given that the Splugorth explicitly found a planet with trillions and they have enjoyed 53 thousand years being able to spread all over the Megaverse... we might be able to put together some kind of algorithm based on their birth rates, but since we don't know how many trillions they were, or how many died during their expansion, I propose we interpret 'zillions' as the next step up from trillions, which appears to be Quadrillion...

An 'army of zillions' is basically a metaphor for a whole lot, presumably bigger than any other amount that's been stated.

Kind of wondering what the upper limit would be on numbers. Assuming less than 2 quadrillion were on that planet (otherwise 'quadrillions' should have appeared instead of 'trillions') and assuming maximized breeding and sextuplets every time, perhaps the Kydians could reach the level of sextillions in those millenia?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Okay, but more importantly, how would Splynn decide to defend against a few hundred thousand borgs with air support?

I'm guessing massive trolling. Summon storms in the Triangle while they transport to the beaches, use storms to funnel them into d-portals to some dimension with nothing but rust monsters. Drink mai-tais.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Hopefully these borgs have robot-level Superheavy Naruni Force Fields built-in to deal with attrition.

Kittani Laser Lances have range that rivals even the best railguns used by NGR's Jager-bots, and Kittani have pretty fast-flying power-armor to maintain optimal range.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Raze_7 wrote:Not technically true. Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth could slaughter Cthulhu and his cults, on their own. That's because they are Elder Gods, which are FAR more powerful than mere Old Ones.

I'm a purist. No one can write like H.P. they always come up short. Always... Which kinda sux because it's not like H.P. is writing any more stories, and with my collection I've read them all.

The elder gods are a creation of August Derleth, and other writers, expanding on the mythos. Now Azathoth is actually an "Outer God" and ruler of the outer gods, also known as the Blind Idiot God. The Outer gods are a creation of H.P. The Great old ones are considered ancient and powerful deities in their own right. The gods of earth are actually weak, they are the Great Ones, who rule in the Dreamlands and are actually protected by Nyarlathotep. The Great Old Ones are trapped on earth for the time being away from humanity, and the Outer Gods are trapped outside the universe. So even if Cthulhu wanted to go up against an Outer God it would be impossible. Even then it's two deities facing off.

And of course the Old Ones, the Deep Ones, and the Shogoth are below the gods.

Back on topic, if the forces of Dyval or Hades were of a mind to, I think only they could muster the forces to take Atlantis. No human nation has the ability, less someone builds a massive space laser. Or the vastly over powered Tsar Bomba.
Last edited by Tags on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I think i can design clone soldiers up to the task.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

say652 wrote:I think i can design clone soldiers up to the task.

:roll: Only if you cloned Naked Snake. Then, maybe.

H. P. Lovecraft
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

If you are just going A: make up whatever forces you want to do this, and B: Ignore any capability on Atlantis's part to counter it, then why even post about it? you already know what you are going to do. The point of posting game ideas on these forums is to get constructive critisim and feedback. I don't quite get the purpose of opening a debate when you clearly never had any intention of debating.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Asteroid bombardment, if you care ####about the rest of the planet and just want to deny Atlantis to the Splug. Even if the cities got forcefields, you're basically re-sinking the island -continent and even megadamage amphibious types are going to find it rough going if the rocks come fast and big enough.... :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Does Atlantis really have access to more troops than the entire population of the 3 galaxies? Please remember that the 3 galaxies contains several splugorth.

I think we need to treat "Zillions" as figurative language rather than literal zillions.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

naw, bro...Splugorth ARE the population of the 3G's, just all those "free" people are in denial. /nod
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

flatline wrote:Does Atlantis really have access to more troops than the entire population of the 3 galaxies? Please remember that the 3 galaxies contains several splugorth.

I think we need to treat "Zillions" as figurative language rather than literal zillions.

I think we need to consider the multi-dimensional nature of a splugorth empire. All splugorth empires have populations greater than the three galaxies because they span across multiple realities. It's a terrifying notion really. Empires so vast and populous that no single world could mount a meaningful resistance and only empires of equal stature can even meaningfully negotiate. Allegorically, I think it's not unlike the cold-war era "superpowers" of earth. Small, militarily insignificant nations continued to exist mostly because they had nothing that Nato, the Warsaw Pact, or China cared to fight with each other over.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Bill wrote:
flatline wrote:Does Atlantis really have access to more troops than the entire population of the 3 galaxies? Please remember that the 3 galaxies contains several splugorth.

I think we need to consider the multi-dimensional nature of a splugorth empire. All splugorth empires have populations greater than the three galaxies because they span across multiple realities. It's a terrifying notion really. Empires so vast and populous that no single world could mount a meaningful resistance and only empires of equal stature can even meaningfully negotiate. Allegorically, I think it's not unlike the cold-war era "superpowers" of earth. Small, militarily insignificant nations continued to exist mostly because they had nothing that Nato, the Warsaw Pact, or China cared to fight with each other over.

Which is exactly why Splynn leaves earth alone. If he does try, then he probablly could overrun Earth, BUT, then all those other "Superpowers" would feel the neutrality was broken and declare war.

Blue_Lion
Knight

You do know they have a minion race that can self clone.
Hard to beat there bio wizards at cloning.
We need more troops just clone a few billion minions to stop them.

Really Says652 stay our of my clone lab.
Self reproducing super bots with Mohawks seam more your speed.

Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Won't work. the book says explictly that atlantis's garrison is strong enough to conquer every power on earth, simultaniously, without any chance of failure. if you give them the HOME FIELD advantage on top, it would be a laughable and pathetic slaughter.

And that's not just hype, if one looks at his forces and troop numbers on Atlantis alone, they're both strong, and very very plentiful. Even without drawing on reinforcements (say, if you could temporarily cut Atlantis off somehow), an assault would be foolhardy.

The time to invade Atlantis is in a century or two, when the major Earth players are more advanced and more numerous, and preferably with extradimensional help like a lot of True Atlantean clans to boot.

Raze_7 wrote:Third, remove the "home-field advantage." Do like the Allies did to Berlin and strategically bomb the crap out of it. Then, strategically bomb it some more. And some more. And some more. You get the picture. Maybe even convince one of the groups of Mutants in Orbit to move to another station and de-orbit their previous one on top of Atlantis. Blast away at the landmass underneath by undermining it, or get a deity to sacrifice him/herself to use the Possess Tectonic Plate ability to just vaporize the place. In fact, if you can pull off that last one, you wouldn't even have to invade. You could just smash the plate apart, destroy the city, and spawn volcanoes under the Pyramids.

The problem with that is, Atlantis's forces would destroy your bombers, and they'd be advancing to do the same in return. The Kittani have a lot of air power, and even space power- they can likely stop a station fall! (Not that a station fall is all that big a threat, it's an entire continent with many cities here).

Individual species like Metztla could overwhelm Rift major powers like Triax or the CS- Splynncryth could have a lot of forces on defense and reach out and touch the attackers far heavier than they're being hit.

Sacrificing a deity is about the only reasonable choice there, and deities do not like doing that!

Tor wrote:Given that the Splugorth explicitly found a planet with trillions and they have enjoyed 53 thousand years being able to spread all over the Megaverse... we might be able to put together some kind of algorithm based on their birth rates, but since we don't know how many trillions they were, or how many died during their expansion, I propose we interpret 'zillions' as the next step up from trillions, which appears to be Quadrillion...

An 'army of zillions' is basically a metaphor for a whole lot, presumably bigger than any other amount that's been stated.

Kind of wondering what the upper limit would be on numbers. Assuming less than 2 quadrillion were on that planet (otherwise 'quadrillions' should have appeared instead of 'trillions') and assuming maximized breeding and sextuplets every time, perhaps the Kydians could reach the level of sextillions in those millenia?

It's not like Splynncryth has them all, he only has a few planet's worth. Other Splugorth have most.

And one can't just calculate on birthrate, considering even with expansion, resources and space limits them, plus they're used as cannon fodder in wars across the megaverse.

Alrik Vas wrote:Okay, but more importantly, how would Splynn decide to defend against a few hundred thousand borgs with air support?

I'm guessing massive trolling. Summon storms in the Triangle while they transport to the beaches, use storms to funnel them into d-portals to some dimension with nothing but rust monsters. Drink mai-tais.

One possibility is let the Kittani handle it- the Kittani love honorable combat, and if they're taken out power armor-to-cyborg, then there's going to be a ton of salvage for the market. Throw in High Lords for magic support and command, and victory is assured.

The Kittani can outnumber them a lot just on their own.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Germ warfare.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

SittingBull wrote:Germ warfare.

Between being made of many unrelated species, their skills in biowizardry, and their advanced scientific and other forms of medicine, unlikely to be effective.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Ok, ok. 250k cosmo knights. That'd be tough for anyone, even splynn (not to say they couldn't repell them still, or that there are even that many CK in the megaverse).

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Bill wrote:

So the Splugorth who have been defeated in the 3 galaxies or whose empires are being whittled down have "zillions" of troops in reserve that they won't use for some reason?

I don't think so.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

flatline wrote:
Bill wrote:

So the Splugorth who have been defeated in the 3 galaxies or whose empires are being whittled down have "zillions" of troops in reserve that they won't use for some reason?

I don't think so.

Or they've had their moment and failed. The sun set on the British Empire, Napoleon's France, and the Romans. They overreached, failed to manage their internal conflicts, ran afoul of a larger empire, or fell victim to chance. Or the writing is inconsistent. It's pretty obviously inconsistent. Since we're talking about Splynncryth and Atlantis, we should probably use the numbers from WB2 without too much second guessing though.

Return to “Rifts®”