How much do you fallow Phase world,s canon?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What do you changed in Phase world,s canon?

Like How much Alien races from Phase World you use?
And How much original races you use?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: How much do you fallow Phase world,s canon?

Unread post by jaymz »

I change many of the ranges on the capital ship weapons....how much change is that? :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Pretty big change since it would alter the scope of battle, although it's hard to envision unless familiar with how those would work out in combat scenarios. Melees or minutes worth of free shooting before someone gets in range would be a big change.

Some cool changes would also be the incorporation of either AU or Skraypers content in the Three Galaxies and I think both settings allow for that don't they?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Yep they both have notes in their respective books specifically for incorporating them into Phaseworld
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I use a Mix of H.U,s Aliens Unlimited with a few I make up.
CCW is set to have 200 races in it and only a few appear in the PhaseWorld/3 Galaxies books to date.
kirnos
D-Bee

Unread post by kirnos »

I usually follow the canon unless there's something illogical or one thing contradicts another. But I don't alter the rules of space combat because I prefer to leave it something of an abstract. Yes, ranges or speed probably are too low (or fast, depends on opinion), but then my players are not interested in calculating ETAs of missiles or how long it takes to close with the enemy vessel.

I use every canon race of PW books, and some others from the diferent Rifts books, but not from EU or Skraypers. Then, with all the species of PW and those logical of Rifts, there's more than a hundred. And then I use species made by myself. In fact the action of my new campaign will be on an unexplored sector in the Anvil Galaxy (or Corckscrew, not decided yet), with lots of new species and some old favorites (like an offshot of the Wolfen).
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I am completely canon, but do to lack of certain things, I do use Manhunter, Mutants in Orbit, Aliens Unlimited, Megaversal Builder, Mindwerks(for the gene-splicers) and Galaxy Guide to fill in the blanks and add more life to the game, especially combat.

I can tell you that, while I am willing to suffer the canon rule's short-comings and failures. My group is not, and we rarely play space-based campaigns. It's mostly due to the lack of smaller ships, lack of construction/upgrade rules, poor combat rules, lack of detailed maps/charts, lack of sense of travel time without getting into heavy math.

And all of that makes me very sad, Phase World/3 Galaxies is my favorite part of Rifts and I rarely get to use it...
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Tor wrote:Pretty big change since it would alter the scope of battle, although it's hard to envision unless familiar with how those would work out in combat scenarios. Melees or minutes worth of free shooting before someone gets in range would be a big change.

Some cool changes would also be the incorporation of either AU or Skraypers content in the Three Galaxies and I think both settings allow for that don't they?

Yes, there's some material on that indeed. Skraypers might be simpler to port, imho, and in fact would benefit setting-wise from having its worlds and races spread over a half-dozen star systems and a little FTL instead of only one - unless you like it a dozen different races in just three planets and a moon of the same star system (is it the remnant of some older FTL cvilization?Some elder race's reserve/experiment/zoo?). The Aliens Unlimited setting has a number of civilizations, organizations and powers all its own, so mixing them might call for axing or maybe fusing some civilizations. Altess/Altorians and CCW/FAR springs to mind but as i said some fudging will certainly be called for.

In my games i prefer to keep them separate as they have some differences of tone, feel & etc, at least in my opinion.

That said my aliens unlimited game also has a bunch of made-up stuff like a gargoyle clan that serves one of the Altorian queens demonic elite troops (gargoyles being mostly unknown monsters even for most space occultists), a spaceship built by an unknown (and apparently extinct) race of techno-wizard space giants (who might or not be from another dimension and related to the Dominators) in earth's orbit that is used by UN as research center, first line of defense and special prison for captured alien invaders & riff-raff and a space franchise of japanese-themed restaurants that also serves as underground information brokers and hideouts for enemies of the Altorian Empire, among other funky things. The books i plunder most for it are Mystic China, Rifts Japan, Ninjas & Superspies and (occasionally) Robotech.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

I have my own system for sublight speeds for space ships. Mach 1 equates to about .01c. SO for example, a ship that could go Mach 12 would instead have a maximum speed of .12c. This gives ships much more realistic interplanetary speeds.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Looonatic wrote:I have my own system for sublight speeds for space ships. Mach 1 equates to about .01c. SO for example, a ship that could go Mach 12 would instead have a maximum speed of .12c. This gives ships much more realistic interplanetary speeds.

I sort of do something similar - tweak the ranges while at it, too.

Incidentally in my games while vaguely aware of HU's Earth - Gargoyles from Hades have come and gone and my spaceship version of Center Station has a (mostly secret) portal to Dyvval in one of its lowest levels - they are overall ignorant of the galactic community of that dimension. Ah, almost forgot, Projects Tyche and Secure were discontinued and a new group established due to a few incidents involving "Center Station" administration and a new group under agent Michael Sinder with resources from both established - director Fores was jailed for mismanagent corruption and gross incompetence (an alien criminal had infiltrated Tyche and was using the director's prejudices as cover to eliminate anyone looking for him and set up a power base, something exposed by information from Secure, Triton Industries and disgruntled Tyche agents). The new group still has some kinks from years of different experiences and styles of action to work out. That said information about earth in galactic community is much more obscure and occasionally garbled with thropos' counterculture literature about bushido, the book of five rings and "Musashi' world". In fact in my games Komodo was one of those, who only after almost a decade on Earth realized he was in the right place all along. :D

Ah, a relevant one - most of the supernatural elements i use in my version of AU focus on Mystic China, due to some text fragment in the Galaxy Guide, what results in martial arts focused heroes, taoist sorcerers and some other types feeling eerily at home out of Earth, so to speak. It's also the main reason i pilfer loads of stuff from Rifts Japan & China. :-D

The 3 Galaxies i use occasionally for crossovers, most contacts being accidental and usually involving Phaseworld, UWW, worlds like Fiktia, Mawon, Pherridax, or Shia lone adventures of races like the lassinikes, tedeschians or dragonoids and exploiters like riathenors, darclons and the occasional shissan "divine con artist" out for riches and worship. Darclons in particular are slowly infiltrating in the 3 Galaxies, seeking out their enslaved brethen among the Splugorth & Naruni and setting things up to spy and sabotage their old enemies while establishing a new power base, while the Shissans have become aware of the Minion War and made secret deals with the Prometheans on spying both factions in exchange for help in keeping them away of HU's Milky Way.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”