What do you think of the Monsters in Rifter 57.

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What do you think of the Monsters in Rifter 57.

Unread post by gaby »

Tell Me What do you think of the Monsters in Rifter 57.

What do you think is the Best Monster and Why do you think this way.

Do you use them in your Games.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: What do you think of the Monsters in Rifter 57.

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I'm way too biased to answer this question. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

mrloucifer wrote:I'm way too biased to answer this question. ;)

Aww, c'mon, just because you wrote it shouldn't count for anything :mrgreen:
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Fair enough.

First off, I like them all! :)

I've used them all in my games at one point (most of them were planned creatures, the Geode Golem however was a spur of the moment idea that grew into something more.)

I have a hard time on which I'd consider the best, because my process of designing creatures is to fill a gap in a story or adventure idea. The Brawling Joe was to cover a Drug lord who wanted to employ supernatural minions. The Kroguar was to put a spin on the giant man eating bears in the forest jive, the Grave Larva serves as a cautionary tale in a "larva-to-giant man eating worm" form, The Ha-Foot fill in a much needed gap for mischievous impish creatures with something to prove, and the Geode Golem was designed to be a magic users assistant and available power source, in my particular case they were helping an aristocratic, narcissistic type, hence the fat that it had to look somewhat appealing to the eye to be welcome in his company.

If I was to rank them by how much they see use in my game, that would go:
#1 Brawling Joe (due to a reoccurring villain my weekly group deals with called "Joe in the Basement")
#2. The Kroguar (my games take place in the Pacific Northwest after all)
#3. The Hafoot
#4. The Grave Larva (I dont use it near as much as I should.)
#5. The Geode Golem (this one might go up the ladder though as I have plans for it).
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Personally I liked the Demon Bear.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I personally love the Brawling Joe and the Geode Golem. The whole 'no toys' thing about the Joe is really cool. And the Geode Golem....well its actually gotten players to reconsider the whole 'theres no point, we just kill the monster of the day and move on', and that in its self is more valuble than any number of psychic crystals.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

Demon Bear was awesome.

I was a fan of the Joe too, as one of my Lazlo character's encounters will attest.
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”