Pay for Rifter Contributions

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Pay for Rifter Contributions

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

I've been away from roleplaying in general for a while, but I was talking about this with a friend the other day and thought I would post the question here: Does The Rifter still pay contributers? If so, how long does it take? I had some things published in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, but haven't received any money yet. Is that normal? Thanks.
Last edited by Ted Smythe on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: Pay for Rifter Contributions

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I suggest giving them a call (734-721-2900) to let them know what is going on.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

It is normal. I and other contributors from way back in Rifter #45 still have not seen a cent. A lot of us think of it as a gift to Palladium Books, but I for one really really really wish that Kevin would stop issuing contracts which state that Palladium will make payments which it just simply does not do. Contacting the office does not seem to accomplish much either according to experience of contributors.

Rogueshadow did manage to get his payment eventually. You might want to want to contact him for advice.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Panomas wrote:
I am curious, as to how this works out if your willing to share?

Did you recieve the books that your work was published in without payment?

And what did you write?

Thanks,

The site states one number of copies with your article; The contract another. (I can't remember what the actual numbers were, only that they were not the same, I think the site says 4 and the contract 3). I received the larger # free and one with my subscription. They came relatively fast (1 or 2 days after my sub copy). I never received the monetary payment. It only half bothers me. Because I got myself happy and excited about being published. I also got a couple mentions and congratulations on my wedding, inside so that was great. But, I also got myself happy and excited about $$ for my work, which never came. On that I still feel disappointed. It sure has something to do with my 'laziness' to finish an article on BTS magic and 'proximity = power' clarification.
Personal Note: Before the internet and ordering online, I would have my mom mail checks for PB products (mainly Robotech) that were not released yet. Sometimes the page # and cost would go up. Kevin/PB never asked for the difference, just sent the books to me. That's what kept my disappointment from becoming bitter. But it still sits there a little. I probably would have been happier if the money thing was never mentioned. Then no disappointments.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Panomas wrote:
Ted Smythe wrote:Did you recieve the books that your work was published in without payment?

And what did you write?

I wrote the following:
- The Star of Horus (with Allen Gardner) in issues #34 and 35
- The Torque of Amemait in issues #42
- The Dark Realm of Netosa (with Aaron Deskins) in issues #46
- A Megaversal Menagerie in issues #54

Ironically, the only one I have been paid for is the first and I never signed a contract for that one. I did receive free copies of each Rifter my work has appeared in.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Yes, I received four copies of The Rifter #45 when 'The Court of Tarot' was published. No money was included in the package. Ironically, my subscription copy came a week later. It seemed curious to me at the time that PB could have saved shipping costs by combining my contributor copies with my subscription copy in the same box.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I got paid for both my contributions including just last year. I sent one email reminder and was promptly paid. And I got my 3 copies as soon as the book was in print.

Great stuff, no bother! Im writing away for the next one!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by llywelyn »

Was thinking of punching up some stuff for submission, but this isn't a pleasant thread to see.

Was it ever resolved?

I for one don't fault them for things falling through the cracks, especially CoT era, but assuming you ever - y'know - told them about it (in an email, not a forum posting they may or may not come across), it's pretty bad if they aren't doing right by you.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

llywelyn wrote:Was it ever resolved?
I for one don't fault them for things falling through the cracks, especially CoT era, but assuming you ever - y'know - told them about it (in an email, not a forum posting they may or may not come across), it's pretty bad if they aren't doing right by you.

I sent an email 13 February 2012, but have not yet received a reply. I don't have long-distance service on my phone otherwise I would have called.

Don't let my experience discourage you, Llywelyn. Getting published in The Rifter has been a lot of fun. There is no thrill quite like seeing your name in print. If nothing else, its given me the confidence to pursue some other interests.
Ted Smythe
Adventurer-at-large
Check out my music at http://www.soundclick.com/aaroncorley
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I concur with Ted about that. Submitting to The Rifter is excellent experience for a fresh game designer or just for a fan of Rifter. When I learned that my article was going to be printed, I don't think that I slept for the next two nights due to a crazy endorphine rush.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

I think that most fans who submit to the Rifter know of Palladiums cash flow levels and dont do it to get paid. I think that most would have still sent stuff in just to see it get published without any payment.

No Im not saying that agreeing to pay you and not doing so yet is acceptable. Btw, there are some success stories in this post, mine included. If you email them and ask for the payment in store credit I bet that would be able to turn around in just a few days (assuming there's something you want to purchase). They have most books ready to be sent even if they dont have cash sitting on their desks.

I think that they should change the policy to payment in store credit.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Update: Without calling, PM or anything else, I received my payment today from my article in rifter #51. I had finallly gotten over that little disappointment in my head had finally left and I had written another article and was getting ready to submit it. Then payment. This is surely a sign that Palladium is getting back on its feet and moving ahead. Any comment I made that may have seemed negative, I apologize for. In the end, everything worked out and i am more than satisfied!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

ZorValachan wrote:Update: Without calling, PM or anything else, I received my payment today from my article in rifter #51. I had finallly gotten over that little disappointment in my head had finally left and I had written another article and was getting ready to submit it. Then payment. This is surely a sign that Palladium is getting back on its feet and moving ahead. Any comment I made that may have seemed negative, I apologize for. In the end, everything worked out and i am more than satisfied!

Bet that was due to the cash influx of the Insider going on!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

ZorValachan wrote:Update: Without calling, PM or anything else, I received my payment today from my article in rifter #51. I had finallly gotten over that little disappointment in my head had finally left and I had written another article and was getting ready to submit it. Then payment. This is surely a sign that Palladium is getting back on its feet and moving ahead. Any comment I made that may have seemed negative, I apologize for. In the end, everything worked out and i am more than satisfied!

Same here. It put a little smile on my face and made me wonder what else I could send in.

The Dark Elf wrote:I think that they should change the policy to payment in store credit.

I think this has more to do with the IRS than anything else. I'm sure Kevin and the crew would love to give store credit, but the tax code won't let them.
Ted Smythe
Adventurer-at-large
Check out my music at http://www.soundclick.com/aaroncorley
The Raven
Explorer

Unread post by The Raven »

Ted Smythe wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:I think that they should change the policy to payment in store credit.

I think this has more to do with the IRS than anything else. I'm sure Kevin and the crew would love to give store credit, but the tax code won't let them.

Actually Kevin discussed this on Gateway to the Megaverse on his last interview. I can't remember the specifics at the moment, but he did say that it is possible.
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."
-- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long

Carl Gleba wrote:Well said Raven :ok:
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

I will be honest, it would be nice to get a few issues...but my submissions would be more to improve the quality of my gaming. its kind of nice to get the "this has been blessed by palladium in a small way"

some of the rifter things get added into future books I hear...or are listed as official supplaments...which is cool.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Well, I like to think that my shifter article in Rifter #15 was one small part of the inspiration for Palladium revamping the shifter in Dark Conversions :mrgreen:
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Eclipse wrote:Well, I like to think that my shifter article in Rifter #15 was one small part of the inspiration for Palladium revamping the shifter in Dark Conversions :mrgreen:

Awesome stuff! Did any of the spells like Dimensional Beacon ever get printed in an "Official" book?

C. Chopps
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

I haven't really gone through it with a fine tooth comb, but I doubt most of the spells were officially taken up. I tried to model them on existing spells in terms of utility and cost etc, so I think they meshed well. But the mini rift ability etc of the new shifters and the update on monster control seem to run along similar, but more fleshed out, lines to my article.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

If you have not received payment, the best thing to do would be to contact the Palladium offices, discuss your contract and discuss your options. I have never written something for Palladium that I wasn't paid for.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I am still waiting to hear from Wayne on my PFRPG character booklet that I submitted almost a year ago...January 13th to be exact. I said to just give the money from it to Alex, because I know what it is like to loose everything. I haven't heard anything from Wayne other then, I'll look at it next week or tomorrow. Kevin said he would see what the hold up was about a month ago. So, I don't know what the hold up there is, but I wish someone would contact me!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

pblackcrow wrote:I am still waiting to hear from Wayne on my PFRPG character booklet that I submitted almost a year ago...January 13th to be exact. I said to just give the money from it to Alex, because I know what it is like to loose everything. I haven't heard anything from Wayne other then, I'll look at it next week or tomorrow. Kevin said he would see what the hold up was about a month ago. So, I don't know what the hold up there is, but I wish someone would contact me!

Follow up. They are all busy and other things may have popped up.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”