F-14D Tomcat

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

F-14D Tomcat

Unread post by jaymz »

Not sure if it has been done yet but here goes :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Watch.jpg

The Grumman F-14 Tomcat is a supersonic, twin-engine, two-seat, variable-sweep wing fighter aircraft. The Tomcat was developed for United States Navy's Naval Fighter Experimental (VFX) program following the collapse of the F-111B project. The F-14 was the first of the American teen-series fighters which were designed incorporating the experience of air combat against MiGs during the Vietnam War.

The F-14 first flew in December 1970. It first deployed in 1974 with the U.S. Navy aboard USS Enterprise (CVN-65), replacing the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II. The F-14 served as the U.S. Navy's primary maritime air superiority fighter, fleet defense interceptor and tactical reconnaissance platform. In the 1990s it added the Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN) pod system and began performing precision strike missions. The F-14 was retired from the active U.S. Navy fleet on 22 September 2006, having been replaced by the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. As of 2009, the F-14 was only in service with the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force, having been exported to Iran in 1976 when the US had amicable diplomatic relations with the nation.

Model Type - F-14D Tomcat
Class - Interceptor/Multi-role attack craft
Crew - 2 (Pilot and Radar Intercept Officer or RIO

SDC By Location

Nose/Cockpit 220
Main Body/fuselage 600
Wings (2) 200 ea
Tailplanes (2) 140 ea
Engines (2) 280 ea

AR - 11 (vehicle AR)

Armour - Stops light weight (read less than 2 lbs) objects swung by hand :D. Any other weapons can damage the aircraft.

Speed

Flying - Mach 2.34 at high altitude, mach 1.1 at low altitude
Range - Combat Radius 925km
Altitude - 15000m (50000ft)

Statistics

Height - 4.9m
Length - 19.1m
Width - 11.6-19.6m
Weight - 33.7 tons maximum, 19.8 tons empty
Cargo - Minimal survival gear
Power System - 2× General Electric F110-GE-400 afterburning turbofans
Cost - 38 million dollars US

Weapons

Weapon Type - 20mm Vulcan cannon
Primary Purpose - Anti-fighter
Range - 1200m
Damage - 2d4x10+10 per round. 6d6x10 per short burst.
Rate Of Fire - equal to pilots attacks
Payload - 680 rounds
Bonuses - NA

Weapon Type - Hardpoints (10)
Primary Purpose - Anti-fighter, anti-installation
Range - As per missile type
Damage - As per missile type
Rate Of Fire - 1 at a time equal to pilot attacks
Payload - AIM-7 Sparrow - Damage - 3d6x100, Range - 50km (31 miles)
AIM-9 Sidewinder - Damage - 1d4x00, Range - 18km (11 miles)
AIM-54 Phoenix - Damage - 5d6x100, Range - 190km (120 miles)
See below for typical Payloads
Bonuses - NA

Typical Payloads:

2 x AIM-9 and 6 x AIM-54 (Rare due to weight)
2 x AIM-9, 2 x AIM-54 and 3 x AIM-7 (Most common load out during cold war)
2 x AIM-9, 4 x AIM-54 and 2 x AIM-7
2 x AIM 9 and 6 x AIM-7
4 x AIM-9 and 4 x AIM-54
4 x AIM-9 and 4 x AIM-7

Systems of Note

Radar - Range of 200 miles (370km). Able to track upto 24 targets, display 18 targets and lock onto 6 targets at once.

Radar Warning Receiver - Warns of potential Radar Lock.

ECM Pod - -20% penalty to opposing radar/sensor operators to detect the F-14

Chaff/Flare Dispensers - 75% to cause locked on missiles to lose lock and fly off elsewhere.

Targeting Computer - +1 to strike with all on board weapon systems

Combat Computer - Identifies Friend or Foe and is tied to the radar System.

Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN) - For dropping laser guided munitions. +1 to strike with said munitions.

FLIR - Advanced forward looking infa-red system for night operations

GPS/Inertial Navigation System.

Ejection Systems - Ejects Pilot and Radar Officer from damaged aircraft.

References Used

Wikipedia
Last edited by jaymz on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Re: F-14D Tomcat

Unread post by Anthar »

Nice, all the info needed for players to have fun with. Now the PCs can have that awkward ari battle while trying to not kill the pilots when they accidentally fly over restricted air space.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Anthar wrote:Nice, all the info needed for players to have fun with. Now the PCs can have that awkward ari battle while trying to not kill the pilots when they accidentally fly over restricted air space.

Thanks :D I plan to update a LOT of stuff on my personal forums with more detailed systems of note and such as well as the F-22 and F/A-18 i already posted here previously.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Just see one problem:
jaymz wrote:Armour - Stops all standard handgun rounds and up to and including 7.62mm rifle rounds. Explosive and ramjet rounds are still effective.

The skin of any modern fighter aircraft cannot stop a ball-peen hammer swung by the instructor in a Airframe Battle Damage Repair course, it most certainly cannot stop a handgun round. The bathtub of the A-10 can stop up to a .50 cal round, but most cockpits are horribly exposed to ground fire. Lucky for most fighter crews, their aircraft tends to be traveling EXTREMELY fast even when close to the ground.

Otherwise, it looks like a great write-up. Thanks for posting it.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Beatmeclever wrote:Just see one problem:
jaymz wrote:Armour - Stops all standard handgun rounds and up to and including 7.62mm rifle rounds. Explosive and ramjet rounds are still effective.

The skin of any modern fighter aircraft cannot stop a ball-peen hammer swung by the instructor in a Airframe Battle Damage Repair course, it most certainly cannot stop a handgun round. The bathtub of the A-10 can stop up to a .50 cal round, but most cockpits are horribly exposed to ground fire. Lucky for most fighter crews, their aircraft tends to be traveling EXTREMELY fast even when close to the ground.

I did that more or less to make it more useful in the Palladium System. You've played this system. If the players have ANY idea they can just take a potshot at a plane with their hunting rifle and bring it down you KNOW they will try it :lol: so this is to stop THAT from happening. Besides by and large the fighter would be facing 20mm rounds and missiles so not really all that much of an issue overall I think :)

\m/
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

AlexanderD wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Beatmeclever wrote:Just see one problem:

I did that more or less to make it more useful in the Palladium System. You've played this system. If the players have ANY idea they can just take a potshot at a plane with their hunting rifle and bring it down you KNOW they will try it :lol: so this is to stop THAT from happening. Besides by and large the fighter would be facing 20mm rounds and missiles so not really all that much of an issue overall I think :)

In some systems they have penalties to hit really fast moving aircraft or objects for ground combatants or like relatively slow moving assailants. You could use that, or just say its going by to fast, your chances of hitting are unlikely and applie a huge penalty. if they catch the pilot on the ground and shoot at him before takeoff of the jet, informed persons like the fellow who posted above will want their bullets to be able to get the guy in the cockpit . The a10 thunderbolt is about the only fighter with a thin titanium tub around the cockpit, most other aircraft are very vulnerable to damage sadly.

This is what I was going to say. Perhaps a rule should be created, which would add a -2 to hit a moving target for every 20mph (32kmph) faster than the shooter.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Alright then how high a calibre does anyone think could be stopped? 9mm handgun? I'd imagine the cockpit as well an the fuselage are capable of stopping some sort of impacting force. I honestly can't see being punched though it like Swiss cheese getting protection of some kind.

Also in order to do that you'd have to assign an AR similar to a body armour AR in order to actually punch through and hit the pilot otherwise Palladiums rules don't actually allow for punching through vehicles to hit the occupants as the pilot would be considered to be behind full cover.

\m/
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

jaymz wrote:Alright then how high a calibre does anyone think could be stopped? 9mm handgun? I'd imagine the cockpit as well an the fuselage are capable of stopping some sort of impacting force. I honestly can't see being punched though it like Swiss cheese getting protection of some kind.

Also in order to do that you'd have to assign an AR similar to a body armour AR in order to actually punch through and hit the pilot otherwise Palladiums rules don't actually allow for punching through vehicles to hit the occupants as the pilot would be considered to be behind full cover.

Like I said, the instructor in the Airframe Battle Damage Repair (ABDR) course would take a ball-peen hammer (2lbs/.9kg) and hit the aircraft. The thin, aluminum skin would tear, puncture, and/or otherwise rupture from a strong swing of this fairly lightweight hammer. To do damage to internal systems, he would use a bigger, heavier hammer. A handgun as small as .22cal would have no problems penetrating.

A combat aircraft maintains functionality due to the use of redundant systems (2 hydraulic pumps, 3 electrical generators, etc.) not due to an armored hull. No armor on "fast movers" or "high flyers" and only the barest minimum on the "slow and low." Think of the modern military aircraft like the zombies in DR, if you aren't able to do damage to the vital systems you are just punching holes in the thing. This is where the AR would come into play. I think that an AR of 10 would be good to simulate the difficulty of hitting these systems.

Using the Combat Rules already presented to us:
N&SS Revised, pg134 wrote:Moving Targets: It is a lot harder to hit someone while they are moving. -3 to strike at moving, running or leaping targets. -6 to strike anything speeding 40mph or more.

I think this could be expanded to:
Moving Targets: It is a lot harder to hit someone while they are moving. -3 to strike at moving, running or leaping targets. -6 to strike anything speeding 40mph to 79mph. -12 to strike anything speeding 80mph to 119mph. -24 to strike anything speeding 120mph to 200mph. Minus and additional -30 to strike for every 20 mph after 200mph.

Obviously, this applies only to unassisted infantry shooting at a Moving Target, since those in vehicles, PA, etc. with targeting systems will not experience these limitations.

This was thrown together quick, so tear it up.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

That still leaves no rules for actually punching through and hitting pilot. Vehicle AR wont allow for that. Now if ther is a house rule for it then great.

Also updated the Armour part of the above file.

\m/
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Step 3 - Adding Vehicle Armor in N&SS Revised (pg 77) allows for Passenger Armor. The big trick here is that the Canopy and Windscreen can withstand a bird strike (and they MIGHT stop a .22 cal), but they are still pretty weak. The penetration of a canopy/windscreen depends A LOT on the angle of attack at which the impact happens. Using the N&SS rules, still, I would say give the modern fighter aircraft a Passenger Armor of AR:12.

Maybe a Random Hit Location table with a list of systems impacted. I have a book that describes the component/systems layout for an F-15 (USAF), it should work for just about every combat aircraft out there. Heavies will require a different chart - I'll have to find that. Give me a day or two to put together the RHL Table for fighters and I'll start something for heavies.

As a point of qualification here (in case anyone is wondering), I repaired F-15E's in the 1990s and I worked with the Northrop/McDonnell-Douglas design team for the YF-23 for a year. I know that these advanced fighters are even faster and more redundant, but they are no more armored than the Fourth Gen fighters are.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

well it could be a matter of giving a special rule of the canopy being treated like Body Armour as well. It woud take a really good shot to be able to punch through and hit the pilot. You could give it slightly higher AR in that case to make the shot more difficult.

As a side note, I say the -23 shold have one but thats just me.

\m/
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Play with the write as you want. I think the RHL Table will be fun!

Thanks on the -23, I agree. I would still be employed over there if it had. :(
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well I just thought it was a nicer looking plane all around :)

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Oh after looking at the Passenger armour rules you mentioned, that still doesn't allow for hitting the actual occupant. unless I am missing something it would be treated the same as vehicle armour except for the passegner compartment yes?

\m/
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Sorry this took so long. Tell me what you think. It's long (but detailed enough to be fun to use), so I've "spoiler"ed it.

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Modern Fighter Aircraft Random Hit Table
The following gives the systems that will be damaged in combat in a modern fighter aircraft. This table should be roll on for EVERY round that hits the aircraft. You will find that damage stacks up VERY quickly and that it is possible to lose an airplane from very few hits.
When a missile explodes within range to damage the aircraft, roll to see which locations was within the blast radius. Roll 2d6 times on the corresponding location table for systems damaged.
With the use of this table, the aircraft SDC becomes the rating of the structural resilience of the skin and supports within and not the total amount of damage capable of being inflicted. Remove SDC points normally at the same time as using this table – if a system failure does not destroy the airframe, the loss of structural integrity eventually will.
If the aircraft is being shot from the ground ignore any structures that are not facing the gound at the time of impact.
Use the following rule to shoot at moving aircraft:
Moving Targets: It is a lot harder to hit someone while they are moving. -3 to strike at moving, running or leaping targets. -6 to strike anything speeding 40mph to 79mph. -12 to strike anything speeding 80mph to 119mph. -24 to strike anything speeding 120mph to 200mph. Minus and additional -30 to strike for every 20 mph after 200mph.

Primary Hit Location
01-12   Radome
13-25   Nose Fuselage
26-38   Forward Fuselage
39-75   Center Fuselage
76-88   Aft Fuselage
89-00   Wing

Side
01-50   Left
51-00   Right

Radome (Either Side)
01-10   Radar Set – Combat Radar reduced by 75%. Navigational Radar reduced by 25%.
11-00   No Systems Damaged (Radar effectiveness reduced -2%. 1% per 100mph of vehicle speed chance differential air pressure tears Radome from airframe – 27% chance of critical airframe failure and destruction of aircraft)

Nose Fuselage
Left
01-15   Radar Package – Complete Radar failure
16-45   Avionics Package
      01-17   Communications System – Loss of radio communication ability
18-33   Monitoring (Glass Cockpit instrumentation consolidation) – Loss of digital cockpit instrumentation and computer control systems.
      34-49   Flight Control Computer – If “Fly-by-Wire,” complete loss of flight control.
      50-65   Collision-Avoidance System
66-86   IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) System – Inability to differentiate friend from foe using radio signals (Visual identification only).
      87-00   Distress Radio Beacon
46-00   No Systems Damaged
Right
01-15   Radar Package – Complete Radar failure
16-45   Avionics Package
      01-16   ECCM System – Loss of radar jamming capability.
      17-35   Navigation System – Satellite and/or Ground-based navigation loss
      36-51   Flight Control Computer – If “Fly-by-Wire,” complete loss of flight control.
52-67   Aircraft Management System – Loss of HUMS (Health and Usage Monitoring System) and, thereby the ability to tell which systems will require maintenance.
68-83   Electro-Optics Systems – Loss of HUD (Heads Up Display), FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red), and PIDS (Passive Infrared Devices).
84-00   ESM/DA (Electronic Support Measures and Defensive Aids) – Loss of automatic Chaff/Flare defensive system.
46-00   No Systems Damaged

Forward Fuselage
Left
01-10   Cockpit – Armor Hit (if any)
      01-10   Pilot
      11-20   Canopy Only!
      21-00   Instrument
         01-02   Rear View Mirror
03-05   Light – (one per hit) “Lock/Shoot”, Ready, Emission Limit, Fire Warning, Pressure, and Master Caution/Reset.
         06-07   Fire Warning/Extinguish Control
08-70   Multi-Function Display (MFD) Unit – (number alternates depending on aircraft)
         71-73   Armament Control Panel
         74-00   Analog Flight Instrument (Non-existent on F-22 and later)
            01-14   Altimeter
            15-28   Attitude Indicator
            29-42   Airspeed Indicator
            43-56   Magnetic Compass
            57-70   Directional Gyro/Heading Indicator
            71-84   Turn/Bank Indicator
            85-98   Vertical Speed Indicator
            99-00   Multiple indicators (roll twice more)
11-20   Rear Cockpit (if any)
      01-10   Pilot
      11-20   Canopy Only!
      21-00   Instrument
         01-02   Rear View Mirror
03-05   Light – (one per hit) “Lock/Shoot”, Ready, Emission Limit, Fire Warning, Pressure, and Master Caution/Reset.
         06-07   Fire Warning/Extinguish Control
08-70   Multi-Function Display (MFD) Unit – (number alternates depending on aircraft)
         71-73   Armament Control Panel
         74-00   Analog Flight Instrument (Non-existent on F-22 and later)
            01-14   Altimeter
            15-28   Attitude Indicator
            29-42   Airspeed Indicator
            43-56   Magnetic Compass
            57-70   Directional Gyro/Heading Indicator
            71-84   Turn/Bank Indicator
            85-98   Vertical Speed Indicator
            99-00   Multiple indicators (roll twice more)
21-25   Nose Landing Gear – 25% reduction to landing skill rolls.
26-28   Oxygen System – Loss of high altitude flight capability, MUST reduce altitude to below 12,500ft within 10 minutes or begin suffering the effects of Hypoxia (Headache, fatigue, Shortness of Breath, Euphoria, and Nausea).
29-30   Crew Comfort and Escape System – Seat is hit! Ejection system will not function!
31-00   No Systems Damaged
Right
01-10   Cockpit
      01-10   
      11-20   
      21-00   
11-20   Rear Cockpit (if any)
      01-10   
      11-20   
      21-00   
21-25   Nose Landing Gear – 25% reduction to landing skill rolls.
26-28   Environmental Control System – Cooling air failure. Temperature inside cockpit will increase by 70-degrees within 20 minutes (Heat stress onset within 60 minutes – increased discomfort for PE-minutes, then reduce PP by 3 for every minute thereafter).
29-30   Crew Comfort and Escape System – Seat is hit! Ejection system will not function!
31-00   No Systems Damaged

Center Fuselage
Left
01-25   Fuselage Fuel Tanks – Self-sealing, 1% chance of explosion from non-incendiary round.
26-27   Speed Brake – 10% reduction to air combat maneuvers. 25% reduction to landing skill rolls.
28-35   Ammunition Container – 5% chance of gun jam; 1% chance of explosion.
36-38   Air Refueling Receptacle – Loss of aerial refueling capability.
39-45   Airframe Mounted Accessory Drive
      01-10   
      11-20   
      21-00   
46-55   Jet Fuel Starter – Loss of engine start capability (engine stall must now use Ram Air Method to restart).
56-65   Main Landing Gear – 25% reduction to landing skill rolls.
66-75   Environmental Control System Ducting – Loss of avionics/cockpit cooling air (5% chance of avionics system failure per system per minute without cooling air).
76-00   No Systems Damaged
Right
01-20   20mm Gun – 30% chance of gun jam; 1% chance of misfire and loss of one round into the airframe (1% chance of random discharge – roll on this table for hit location).
21-45   Fuselage Fuel Tanks – Self-sealing, 1% chance of explosion from non-incendiary round.
46-47   Speed Brake – 10% reduction to air combat maneuvers. 25% reduction to landing skill rolls.
48-55   Ammunition Container – 5% chance of gun jam; 1% chance of explosion.
56-62   Airframe Mounted Accessory Drive
      01-10   
      11-20   
      21-00   
63-72   Jet Fuel Starter – Loss of engine start capability (engine stall must now use Ram Air Method to restart).
73-82   Main Landing Gear – 25% reduction to landing skill rolls.
83-92   Environmental Control System Ducting – Loss of avionics/cockpit cooling air (5% chance of avionics system failure per system per minute without cooling air).
93-00   No Systems Damaged

Aft Fuselage
Left
01-05   Twin Stabilator (small rear wing) Control Components – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%.
06-50   Engine – 25% chance of flame out; 75% chance of internal consumption (engine shelled out).
51-60   Rudder Components – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%.
61-62   Arresting Hook – No immediate effect; cannot use arresting cable to assist with landing.
63-70   Vertical Fin – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -5%.
71-73   Fire Extinguisher System – Can no longer put out engine fires; 15% explosion.
74-00   No Systems Damaged
Right
01-05   Twin Stabilator (small rear wing) Control Components – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%.
06-50   Engine – 25% chance of flame out; 75% chance of internal consumption (engine shelled out).
51-60   Rudder Components – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%.
61-62   Arresting Hook – No immediate effect; cannot use arresting cable to assist with landing.
63-70   Vertical Fin – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -5%.
71-73   Fire Extinguisher System – Can no longer put out engine fires; 15% explosion.
74-00   No Systems Damaged

Wing
Left
01-70   Fuel Tank(s) – Self-sealing, 1% chance of explosion from non-incendiary round.
71-80   Trailing Edge Flap – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%; Landing rolls reduced by 50%.
81-90   Aileron – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%.
91-00   No Systems Damaged
Right
01-70   Fuel Tank(s) – Self-sealing, 1% chance of explosion from non-incendiary round.
71-80   Trailing Edge Flap – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%; Landing rolls reduced by 50%.
81-90   Aileron – Reduce aircraft maneuverability -20%.
91-00   No Systems Damaged
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I like it. Very detailed but a bit over the top and to me that would just slow things down having to roll all those tables for every round that hits. I think a simple primary hit location table is fine (your first table) and then just start rolling to see if there is systems damage once enough damage has been done to a location as per the tables in the Conversion book (or at least I think they were in the conversion book)

\m/

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”