Arkhon Image Test: Opinions?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AzathothXy
Adventurer

Re: Arkhon Image Test: Opinions?

Unread post by AzathothXy »

It looks good. I'd definately say that was an Arkhon if you hadn't already said so.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

The Arhkons are actually one of my favorite factions, here are my thoughts:

Your rendition is good, though in my opinion it is lacking as follows:

Too soft. The Arhkon do have a resemblance to dogs, but your image looks too dog-like. I think the problem is that you've gone a little too soft with the edges (if that makes any sense). Making their skin appear a bit rougher - like that of a hairless cat may be enough to make the creature seem more alien. Another way to look at it is to pronounce their bone structure more, thus slightly altering their appearance.

Just my two lek.

Otherwise, it's a great image.

~ Josh
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Arkhon Test Image

I'm testing to see if I can do a fair rendition of the Arkhon, an alien species from the Rifts Role-playing game. I used off-the-shelf character morphs for a werewolf and altered it to match the Arkhon pictured in the Rifts South America 2 worldbook. While it describes them as relatively hairless, the description does not give coloration, so I presume they have a wide variety of colors, like we do.

If you're familiar with the Arkhon, let me know how close you think this is, esp. compare with the picture in SA2, as that's what I was shooting for. I specifically want to see if I can get close just with off-the-shelf software already available with available morphs, so that I can reproduce a likeness without violating the Palladium policy toward creating software that duplicates their IP.

NEEDS MOAR BLUE WANG!

Sorry. It's what popped to mind. I do tend to agree with Josh that you'd want a bit rougher-looking skin, though.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I'd like to see some patches of fur dyed in designs like tattoos to designate rank/family group, maybe some braided patches of fur.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:The Arhkons are actually one of my favorite factions
~ Josh

I 100% completely agree. The Arkhons should be a more powerful faction based on the fact's that thier a inter planetary conquoring force.. I think the way the book has them sorta all pinned down is sad .. They should truely be one of the more powerful factions on Rifts earth if you ask me.

I think thier severly under utilized as an overall species. Not to mention .. What happened to the other 100'000 ? Whats been going on in Arkhon space ?

But your rendition looks really really good.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Good start, but yeah, needs to look more 'harsh edged' and ferral.
The suggestion of tattoo's / clan markings would go a long way as well. :D
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

One thing I was taught when I was learning maya; "ALWAYS [cenosred] around with your specularity... a good specular setting can make a texture map, while a bad one will kill it"

:frust: ... damn... now I'm jonsing for maya again... why do CGI programms have to be so [censored for 10 minutes] expensive?
Last edited by DhAkael on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I think the second is a definite improvement. For some reason I think of the ears being bigger, and a bit more bat like, but I'm not sure why. Keep playing with the textures, but it looks good.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Did a few minor alterations and used a very alien organic skin map

Arkhon take 2

Gah! Ugly dog!
Good pic, though the teeth need to pop out more, color-wise. I don't know if they're the skin color, or if they're a different color and the similarity is due to shadows, but they look to be the same shade as the skin. Aside from that, awesome :ok:
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I like it, though the darkness of the image makes it difficult to discern details.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Wow. I thought the title of this thread was something else entirely.

Hi! We're the Arkhons, and we're here to invade your world. (Flash to a screen with a couple hot Arkhon babes standing on flying platforms, holding large plasma bazookas) Our technology is superior to anything else you can get on Rifts Earth, even those pesky Naruni. (Scenes of Arkhons mowing through villages, with screaming women and children)

Every single one of us can fly, and our military precision is such that even the Megaversal Legion can't stand against us. (Scenes of explosions, more violence, and destroyed jungle.)

So if you'd like to surrender, and acknowledge us as your new lords and masters, please call Arkhon HQ in South America today. We'll give you a comfortable life as slaves, where you'll be sentenced to an agonizing existence of hard labor. Your inferior race is doomed!

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the Arkhon Empire....
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Did a few minor alterations and used a very alien organic skin map

Arkhon take 2

Definite improvement.

Great job, DLDC. :ok:

~ Josh
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Another thing, their eyes are not cat eyes, thats throwing me off.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

rat_bastard wrote:Another thing, their eyes are not cat eyes, thats throwing me off.

He makes a good point, and I hope I can make one too.
I like how they are done in the second one, but now it looks even more like a dog. it has these jowls that make the muzzle seem far to prominent. I recall the archon being a mixture of reptile and cat, I can't remember dog being in there. I think a middle point between the first and second would be better, soft but scaly. I do think the second one works a lot better than the first, but the picture in my head has a more compact muzzle, wider instead of long and narrow. kind of like if a humans' jaw popped out like a sharks', but was permanently extended. A face sized projection, rather than the equivalent of putting the bottom half of your face, on the front. Throw in some sinuous and slender for good mesure, as opposed to super stocky wolf man. that might work well, since they are described as somewhat slender. I know you are just working with what you've got, but you should be able to adjust muscle tone/density.

hope that makes sense/ helps
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Elongate the ears towards the tips and I think you got it. :ok:
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

Vey nice, when can I make an appointment for a rendering of my devilishly handsome self?
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

on a side note, maybe if you put it on a white background or something it'd be more plainly visible. not realistic to have a blank white space, but it would definitely make the model stand out =S
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Everytime I think of Arkhons, I think of Scooby Doo pissed off and carry the biggest frakking gun he could find! :lol: Other then that, you're doing some good work there, el magico!
They can't see me...Right!?
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Well I've given you some feedback on DA, but I think if you wash out that skin color with a yellowish grey color you'll get closer, and make sure to include definate patterns when making individuals, stripes, spots, etc - not to mention gloves, clothing etc.

I'm actually happy with the face, personally.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Nice pic. I like the changes as time went along. I have to make sure to see how it continues to evolve. Please keep it coming.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

It,s O.k.

Return to “Rifts®”