PHASE WORLD: space station creation...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

PHASE WORLD: space station creation...

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I had heard that Three Galaxies had some rules/guidlines for building space stations and the like... true?

And if so, perhaps someone should convince why I should get it... other than the great Carl Gleba wrote it, I mean.

:)
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Joey Jo Jo Jr
Explorer

Unread post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

Yeah it does have space station construction rules and it also has a lot of info on planets and systems in the various territories, CCW, TGE UWW etc I.ve found it quite useful and pretty interesting.
You're all just a bunch of whinging children.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Well lets see....

There's a ton of setting info. I think 50+ systems described with a hook line and sinker.

A few new space type critters. (including the dreaded demon planet!)

Some more space dangers, meteror showers, nebulas, ion storms

A few new space craft, including a space liner, asteroid miner, gas miner, oni stealth shuttle (a fav of mine, love the art), a couple of UWW ships. Oh and my favorite, the Demon Stars! :demon:

A few new O.C.C.; Several F.W.C. military O.C.C.'s, the Space Warlock, and the Techno-Smithy and the Obsidian Spell Thief (for the U.W.W., and Dark Covens)

A few new Aliens; Necrons, SKaa, Strata, Nixie and the Paratee

Oh yeah, and then there's the space station creation rules. The rules are the same as the merc company creation rules in rifts Mercs.

Since I'm biased you don't need my opinion. however the first printing did sell out in under 6 months :D

Carl
ImageImage
Braden Campbell

:lol:

Figured I'd be hearing from you on this one, Carl.

I am assuming space stations have variable force fields on them as well? See, what I'm really after is some kind of formula for figuring out just how many sheilds and armaments you can pile onto a starship or space station.

Guess I'll see if I can find a copy of your book. But you have to buy Brave New Wormwood if and when it ever sees the light of day ;)
Braden, GMPhD

OrionPrime
D-Bee

Unread post by OrionPrime »

question for Carl...Whathappen to the spells for some of the above classes that never made it to print... I know there are more than a couple of us who still want the space magic.
Braden Campbell

See the stickied thread at the top of the forum page?

Click it.

All answers lie within...
Braden, GMPhD

Carl Gleba

Braden, GMPhD wrote::lol:

Figured I'd be hearing from you on this one, Carl.

I am assuming space stations have variable force fields on them as well? See, what I'm really after is some kind of formula for figuring out just how many sheilds and armaments you can pile onto a starship or space station.

Guess I'll see if I can find a copy of your book. But you have to buy Brave New Wormwood if and when it ever sees the light of day ;)

Braden, you think I'd pass up a chance to pimp my book :lol:

The rules allow you to buy v-force fields as well as an assortment of weapons. The amount varies with the size of the station.

As for Brave New Wormwood, I'd love more stuff for wormwood.

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

OrionPrime wrote:question for Carl...Whathappen to the spells for some of the above classes that never made it to print... I know there are more than a couple of us who still want the space magic.

I hope to include some cut material (like the spells and tatoos) in an upcoming PW book that I'm currently working on. I can't say anymore, but keep your eyes peeled in the upcoming Palladium catalog for some details.

Carl
ImageImage
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Carl Gleba wrote:Well lets see....

There's a ton of setting info. I think 50+ systems described with a hook line and sinker.

A few new space type critters. (including the dreaded demon planet!)

Some more space dangers, meteror showers, nebulas, ion storms

A few new space craft, including a space liner, asteroid miner, gas miner, oni stealth shuttle (a fav of mine, love the art), a couple of UWW ships. Oh and my favorite, the Demon Stars! :demon:

A few new O.C.C.; Several F.W.C. military O.C.C.'s, the Space Warlock, and the Techno-Smithy and the Obsidian Spell Thief (for the U.W.W., and Dark Covens)

A few new Aliens; Necrons, SKaa, Strata, Nixie and the Paratee

Oh yeah, and then there's the space station creation rules. The rules are the same as the merc company creation rules in rifts Mercs.

Since I'm biased you don't need my opinion. however the first printing did sell out in under 6 months :D

Carl

BTW..you are a sick sick sick man! The reason for the Necrons leaving their issolation (I.E.; the space probe that crashed on their planet) was sheer sadistic brilliance. I appluad you sir...worthy of anything I've done in my campiagn(s) :D :ok:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Carl Gleba

Thanks DhAkael. It was fun to write.

Carl
ImageImage
Braden Campbell

I got Three Galaxies for my birthday today. I'll give it a read, and tell you what I think.

My first impression: there's a helluva lot to read!
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

There are some GREAT things in here, Carl. I love the Tigress system (will be using that soon), and the Kreeghor fleet yards.

It seems to me, however, that space stations are severely under-armed. The biggest station in the Three Galaxies would be 120 miles long, but have only 5 major weapons. I tend to agree with Rick Robinson, that since they cannot move to avoid fire, space stations would be so ridiculously shielded and armed, that it would take a large armada to destroy one.

But that's just me.

Helluva lot of work there, man. You should be proud.
Braden, GMPhD

Carl Gleba

Braden, GMPhD wrote:There are some GREAT things in here, Carl. I love the Tigress system (will be using that soon), and the Kreeghor fleet yards.

It seems to me, however, that space stations are severely under-armed. The biggest station in the Three Galaxies would be 120 miles long, but have only 5 major weapons. I tend to agree with Rick Robinson, that since they cannot move to avoid fire, space stations would be so ridiculously shielded and armed, that it would take a large armada to destroy one.

But that's just me.

Helluva lot of work there, man. You should be proud.

Thanks Braden.

After the edit from Palladium, and adding art and all, it exceeded my expectations. 3G will probably always be my favorite. It came together very easy for me.

As for the space stations it was me just trying to be somewhat practical. Why would a 120 mile space station need with more than 5 heavy weapon systems. In order for it to have 5 heavy weapons I would picture it to be a weapons platform and would be much much smaller. Thats my take on it. So just up the numbers as you see fit :ok: Thats the beauty of RPG's.

Enjoy,

Carl
ImageImage
Joey Jo Jo Jr
Explorer

Unread post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

DhAkael wrote:BTW..you are a sick sick sick man! The reason for the Necrons leaving their issolation (I.E.; the space probe that crashed on their planet) was sheer sadistic brilliance. I appluad you sir...worthy of anything I've done in my campiagn(s) :D :ok:

Hmmm, do I detect a little Hitchiker's Guide influence here Carl? :D
You're all just a bunch of whinging children.
Braden Campbell

Carl Gleba wrote:As for the space stations it was me just trying to be somewhat practical. Why would a 120 mile space station need with more than 5 heavy weapon systems. In order for it to have 5 heavy weapons I would picture it to be a weapons platform and would be much much smaller.

Ah. I think you and I come from opposing space station backgrounds. You obviously favour the Babylon-5 method, and I am a Deep Space 9 man. :lol:

Just for the record, DS9 is only 1Kilometer across, has a maximum crew of 7000. For weapons it has:
6 SAIL TOWERS, EACH CONTAINING: 2 ROTARY WEAPONS EMPLACEMENTS WITH 3 TYPE X PHASER ARRAYS AND 3 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS

1 FIXED WEAPON EMPLACEMENT WITH 2 TYPE X PHASER ARRAYS AND 2 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS (on each sail tower)

18 RETRACTABLE WEAPONS PLATFORMS, EACH CONTAINING: 1 TYPE X OR XI PHASER ARRAYS, AND 2 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS.

But it would only be a large station at best. B-5 is a city.
Braden, GMPhD

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

and B5 was almost as heavily armed as well, IIRC.

200 mw pulse cannon are mentioned several times (usually as a point defense weapon), which is a greater fire power than a ww2 Iowa class battleships total primary armament.

B5 easily makes short work of attacking enemy ships, usually only having trouble when being swamped with too many targets to counter.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Carl Gleba

Joey Jo Jo Jr wrote:
DhAkael wrote:BTW..you are a sick sick sick man! The reason for the Necrons leaving their issolation (I.E.; the space probe that crashed on their planet) was sheer sadistic brilliance. I appluad you sir...worthy of anything I've done in my campiagn(s) :D :ok:

Hmmm, do I detect a little Hitchiker's Guide influence here Carl? :D

Nope, I had no prior experience with the Hitchiker's Guide until I saw the movie. Can't say I was very impressed.

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

Braden, GMPhD wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:As for the space stations it was me just trying to be somewhat practical. Why would a 120 mile space station need with more than 5 heavy weapon systems. In order for it to have 5 heavy weapons I would picture it to be a weapons platform and would be much much smaller.

Ah. I think you and I come from opposing space station backgrounds. You obviously favour the Babylon-5 method, and I am a Deep Space 9 man. :lol:

Just for the record, DS9 is only 1Kilometer across, has a maximum crew of 7000. For weapons it has:
6 SAIL TOWERS, EACH CONTAINING: 2 ROTARY WEAPONS EMPLACEMENTS WITH 3 TYPE X PHASER ARRAYS AND 3 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS

1 FIXED WEAPON EMPLACEMENT WITH 2 TYPE X PHASER ARRAYS AND 2 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS (on each sail tower)

18 RETRACTABLE WEAPONS PLATFORMS, EACH CONTAINING: 1 TYPE X OR XI PHASER ARRAYS, AND 2 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS.

But it would only be a large station at best. B-5 is a city.

Well I do own seasons 5 to 7 of DS9. I even have the DS9 tech manual. On the other hand I did watch B5 at every opportunity and watched the season repeat 3 or 4 times on sci-fi. :D

I see where your coming from. Its difficult to "design" something and keep balance, especially when your in uncharted waters, plus a first time author :D I suppose I was trying to avoid the "power creep" many people complain about.

Carl
ImageImage
Braden Campbell

No prob.

The Fleets article is coming along. First ten pages are a bit dense. But ballanced out by the rest, I think, which is all ship stats and cool npc's. :ok:
Braden, GMPhD

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”