Favorite rifts book

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

Favorite rifts book

Unread post by Larsen »

As the title says I was just wondering what was everyones favorite rifts book, and what they like about it. If you don't have a favorite rifts book what the rifts book you like the least and why?
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

I recently bought canada but I haven't had time to read much of it. I'm up to the effects of cold on people right now.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Canada rox, I also like Japan quite well, and Rifts: Mercenaries... but my fave is Phase World. At least so far.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Main book. Still has the best atmosphere, breadth of good OCCs, and overall best "feel" of any of the others, in my opinion.

PigLick
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Other than the main book, I like Vampire Kingdoms best, followed by Sourcebook 1.

VK has good monsters, cool equipment that doesn't alter the power level of the game, maps, detailed cities, and is generally just cool.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

Rifts Japan. Best setting, coolest armor and weapons...plenty of bad things happening.
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Shin Kenshiro wrote:Rifts Japan. Best setting, coolest armor and weapons...plenty of bad things happening.

It also has the most Ninja :x :P

I think my answer changes alot (I don't remember what I said the last time this was asked...), but right now it's Warlords of Russia. I really like Canada too, though.
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

Jaguar Wong wrote:
Shin Kenshiro wrote:Rifts Japan. Best setting, coolest armor and weapons...plenty of bad things happening.

I think my answer changes alot (I don't remember what I said the last time this was asked...), but right now it's Warlords of Russia. I really like Canada too, though.

OH MY GOD!!!! Japan has NINJAS????

C'mon, not expecting ninjas in a book about Japan is like going to Ireland and expecting everyone to be sober
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Take a wild guess...... ;)

It's the grittiest of the world books, with the feel of a world crushed, torn apart. It's not as over powered as alot of the books are, giving you a distinct feeling that you're at the bottom of the dung pile and have to struggle to climb to the top.

That, and I'm a true blue, dinki di Aussie. ;)
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Shin Kenshiro wrote:OH MY GOD!!!! Japan has NINJAS????

C'mon, not expecting ninjas in a book about Japan is like going to Ireland and expecting everyone to be sober

yeah... but it also had arounf 70 ninja occ's.... okay... not that many.
Tech-ninja
Mystical-Ninja
Ninja-borg
ninja-CrAZY
Ninja-Juicer
Ninja-Grandma...

Least the Samuria wasnt that bad....
Traditional Samuria
Street Samuria... er.. Cyber-Samuria
Ronin

(The Irish remark was Ever so Slightly Offensive)

My Faveriot book: CWC, Fianlly the real Heros of Rifts earth get a gear upgrade, and get ready to kick some D-bee & Magic User scum in the face.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I found myself enjoying Free Quebec quite a bit. That and wormwood... oh how I love wormwood
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Skiles99
D-Bee

Unread post by Skiles99 »

Sadly I have a three-way tie between China 2, Wormwood, and Juicer Uprisings, and I suppose you could include China 1 in there as well since it and China 2 should really be in the same book...
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
Jaguar Wong wrote:

OH MY GOD!!!! Japan has NINJAS????

Yeah, or like expecting Rifts: Mexico not to have MDC Pinatas, Psi-Tequila, and hordes of lazy people wanting to sneak into the US so they can live off of the system... :roll:

One of the biggest problems I have with Rifts is the Mega-Cliches.
Ninjas in Japan, Knights in England, Cowboys and Indians in the New West, MDC Mounties in Cnd, and Laser frickin' Bows for the indians.
Not to mention Conquistador Power Armor in South America and Amazons living on the Amazon river....
It's garbage.

The early books were the best because they were ORIGINAL.
Vampires in Mexico, Dinosaurs in Florida and Georgia, Killer Bug-Men in Canada, weird tentacle monsters in Atlantis, Killer Robots in Maryland... Pretty cool ideas!
If they wrote the main book now, it would be MDC Retirement Homes in Florida, Mega-Cracker OCC in Georgia (Or maybe Atlanta didn't get burned, it got rifted to Rifts Earth...), and a bunch of other crappy cliches.

When Rifts came out, it was amidst a bunch of other books, movies, and games that all worshipped Japan and the whole Ninja/Samurai thing, from the Street Samurais of Neuromancer and Shadowrun to the cyber-ninjas in Robocop III.
While a lot of stuff in Rifts: Japan was actually pretty decent, the LAST thing I ever wanted to see from Rifts was a bunch of Ninjas and Samurai. One of the main reason why I loved Rifts in the first place was because they broke away from the various cliches of the genre and had Japan no longer be a viable power in the world.
But ever since England, it's pretty much been one Mega-cliche after another.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Brian Manning

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Shin Kenshiro wrote:OH MY GOD!!!! Japan has NINJAS????

yeah... but it also had arounf 70 ninja occ's.... okay... not that many.
Tech-ninja
Mystical-Ninja
Ninja-borg
ninja-CrAZY
Ninja-Juicer
Ninja-Grandma...

Ninja Grandma would work for me...it's the others (plus the Ninja TW...I thought Techno Wizardry was a North American thing) that over did it. IMO the only ninja should be the tech ninja. The Juicer, crazy and borg mods should have been shuffled into that deck. That way you have all the versatility and only one OCC.

The mystic ninja would probably fit in very well too. More along the lines of Hatsumi's flavor of Ninjutsu. But two ninja OCCs is all we need.
Brian-Manning.com
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

New West is my fav. covers alot of area and many OCC's and sweet D-bees and monsters. You could do a decent campain with only that book and the main one :D
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Thee must make me choose between ''Phase World'' and ''Pantheons of the Megaverse?!?!'''

I SAY THEE NAY....uh....I mean, no......I like them both 100% THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT!!!!!!!!.......

...but ''Pantheons of the Megaverse'' a little more......
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

If you include the dimension books, I would have to go with Wormwood. From the strictly Rifts books, I like Vampire Kingdoms best, after the RMB of course.
Brian Manning

heretic888 wrote:
The mystic ninja would probably fit in very well too. More along the lines of Hatsumi's flavor of Ninjutsu.

Uhhhh.... no.

lol, I'm guessing you took offense to the Hatsumi (being labeled as "mystic ninja") comment? I apologize if I offended you. I'm talking more about how (if this is the case anyway), he's not so much about using whatever it takes to assassinate someone (vibro blades, guns, thermal optics, etc...) I'm talking about how there's a spiritual side to what he's teaching...at least from what I've seen.

But if you're saying the mystic ninja should be axed...then, well I guess I don't have any major comebacks :p
Brian-Manning.com
Brian Manning

I see. I actually meant (when I said the mystic ninja would fit), based on revisions that I think would work better, the Tech ninja should be one OCC (with all of the variants mixed in as options), and the mystic ninja should be "revisited" with more attention to what modern day stuff (like Bujinkan Ninpo) is actually like. I mean you're not going to get something super accurate, since it's difficult to do so in an RPG setting (there's got to be some fluffing going on), but it should lean more towards Bujinkan, and less towards Ashida Kim.
Brian-Manning.com
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Jaguar Wong wrote:(plus the Ninja TW...I thought Techno Wizardry was a North American thing)

Ah yes, I was ment to be something like that. BCL wrote up some TW stuff for Australia, but Kevin told him that TW was something restricted to the Americas.

Now, TW stuff almost everywhere. Go figure.... : /
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Ah yes, I was ment to be something like that. BCL wrote up some TW stuff for Australia, but Kevin told him that TW was something restricted to the Americas.

Which is Weird... How Long after Japan, underseas, paheseworld and the 3000 other books with non-American TW stuff, Was Austrailia 1 Printed?
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:The early books were the best because they were ORIGINAL.
Vampires in Mexico, Dinosaurs in Florida and Georgia, Killer Bug-Men in Canada, weird tentacle monsters in Atlantis, Killer Robots in Maryland... Pretty cool ideas!
If they wrote the main book now, it would be MDC Retirement Homes in Florida, Mega-Cracker OCC in Georgia (Or maybe Atlanta didn't get burned, it got rifted to Rifts Earth...), and a bunch of other crappy cliches.

Mega-Redneck is Apropiate to a Georgia based OCC, the Term Cracker Comes from the Nick name Given to Florida Cattle Ranchers in the 19th Century. they Used a Various Types of Bull Whips and Cow Whips to Keep the Herds moving Across the Plains of Florida, The "Crack" of The Whip was What the Nick-name was based off of.

but I have to Agree.. had they had the CLiche Pattren of Writing (mostly due to some of CJ's work).

Rifts: Atlantis
Join the Adventures of Ariel, the Mermaid as she trys to save her Lost peopel fomr the Plagues of the Rifts, after there home was Returned to its Dry land form, her and her Brave Crew of Sub-Maraniers Fight bravely Against the Forces OF Ursa-LOR, the Aline Intellignece/Master of the Dark arts.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The early books were the best because they were ORIGINAL.

Mega-Redneck is Apropiate to a Georgia based OCC, the Term Cracker Comes from the Nick name Given to Florida Cattle Ranchers in the 19th Century. they Used a Various Types of Bull Whips and Cow Whips to Keep the Herds moving Across the Plains of Florida, The "Crack" of The Whip was What the Nick-name was based off of.

Florida had plains?
Weird... All I've ever seen of it is beaches, swamps, and cities.
Interesting.
Assuming Palladium did as much research as you have, then they'd probably go with "Mega-Redneck" as more appropriate.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

CyCo wrote:
Jaguar Wong wrote:(plus the Ninja TW...I thought Techno Wizardry was a North American thing)

Now, TW stuff almost everywhere. Go figure.... : /

Not only that, but the TW Arquebus in Japan was invented shortly after Europeans first brought blackpowder weapons to Japan, LONG before the coming of the Rifts. According to the book, Japan even had tech ninjas then. :roll:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Good call, Aegis.

And just to spackle it up a bit, let's just pretend that the Splugorth developed Techno-Wizardry well away from their home of Atlantis (in case things went wrong)... say in North America...
Then everything is patched up except for Japan.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Good call, Aegis.

And just to spackle it up a bit, let's just pretend that the Splugorth developed Techno-Wizardry well away from their home of Atlantis (in case things went wrong)... say in North America...

The Splurorth are not from Atlantis.
The Atlantians are.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Good call, Aegis.

The Splurorth are not from Atlantis.
The Atlantians are.

There are splugorth living on Atlantis, ergo it is their home. Not home for the entire race, but I wasn't saying that.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Killer Cyborg wrote:There are splugorth living on Atlantis, ergo it is their home. Not home for the entire race, but I wasn't saying that.

But the Splurorth are not what is being talked about in the passage about Techno-wizardry. It's the Atlantians.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:There are splugorth living on Atlantis, ergo it is their home. Not home for the entire race, but I wasn't saying that.

But the Splurorth are not what is being talked about in the passage about Techno-wizardry. It's the Atlantians.

The quoted passage just said "They..." and I assumed Splugorth, but you're right I guess.

So then change my previous post to "Atlanteans invented Techno-Wizardry in North America instead of their home..." and we're all good again.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Florida had plains?
Weird... All I've ever seen of it is beaches, swamps, and cities.
Interesting.
Assuming Palladium did as much research as you have, then they'd probably go with "Mega-Redneck" as more appropriate.

No reaserch, I've lived in the South my Entire life.
My Family Farm was a 3000 Acer Ranch, about 32 Miles from Disney land, (funny: My Great-grandfather's Father Sold his Land to the People who Sold to Disney. they made about 8times what they paid for it), It was about 3/4 Improved farm land (Plains), and the Rest was Cypress Swamp.

Unfortunaly Greedy family members Made sure it got Sold and Chopped up in to a housing Development.
alas... all my Childhood memories are burried under $500,000 Dead Restricted homes.

Return to “Rifts®”