Maps of Russia

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Maps of Russia

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Anyone ever put together some maps of the places described in Warlords of Russia, Mystic Russia & Sovietski, preferably bigger and over a real world map for some comparison?

Pretty sure there is fan pdf for North America colating info from many books, but no idea in relation to the "russian" lands, so decided to check due to some ideas i started tinkering with today.

To be specific, i'm looking for info in Kazakhstan and regions closer to the Tibetan plateau and China. Re-reading Warlords my impression is that no one named warlord has power there, being a part of the vast wilderness associated with the steppe, but wanted to check to be sure i'm not jumping to conclusions half-cocked.

Though not of immediate use in my games, would also be interested in any similar fan works for China, Japan, Australia, South America and other parts of Rifts Earth.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Maps of Russia

Unread post by Grazzik »

My understanding is that Kurlensk is the easternmost Sovietski territory (WB36 pg 40). The Sovietski also maintain control over the Volga River with the Volga Fortress (WB36 pg 42). So it could be presumed that the Sovietski may also claim the westernmost parts of Kazakhstan, at least south of Kurlensk. However, there is reference to Volgograd (WB17 pg 21) and Kuybyshev (WB17 pg 45), so it may be possible that the lands of Warlord Orloff extend from there east into Kazakhstan. I don't believe further east has been described until you get to China.
SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Maps of Russia

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Grazzik wrote:My understanding is that Kurlensk is the easternmost Sovietski territory (WB36 pg 40). The Sovietski also maintain control over the Volga River with the Volga Fortress (WB36 pg 42). So it could be presumed that the Sovietski may also claim the westernmost parts of Kazakhstan, at least south of Kurlensk.

Grazzik wrote:However, there is reference to Volgograd (WB17 pg 21) and Kuybyshev (WB17 pg 45), so it may be possible that the lands of Warlord Orloff extend from there east into Kazakhstan. I don't believe further east has been described until you get to China.

Haha, i guess you're thinking of the one in Novosibirsk Oblast - yes, if that marked Orloff's border he would indeed be right beside Kazakhstan. But also insanely larger than that of any other warlord OR what is indicated in the silhouetted maps of the book.
The fact is, there are several places present and past called Kuybyshev in Russia (and even outside it), as you can see here. I don't have the book in front of me, but if i had to guess "Orloff's Kuybyshev" is much more probably the one in Volgograd Oblast or maybe Samara.

Wow, i had almost forgotten how much of a headache that thing first caused me. :oops: :lol:

And this right there makes for a good example of the kind of confusion we can get into and some revised versions of the "Warlords maps" could be most helpful with.

Return to “Rifts®”