IQ bonus

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

IQ bonus

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I had someone recently tell me that they could put their IQ bonus on to a prayer, claming it is a skill. I begged to differ, and he replied that it had a percentage. So, what do you all think? Is it a skill? Is anything with a percentage a skill? What things that aren't in the skill list would be considered skills?

-Vek
"What about the wizard and scrolls, or a similar situation?"
green.nova343
Adventurer

Re: IQ bonus

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I had someone recently tell me that they could put their IQ bonus on to a prayer, claming it is a skill. I begged to differ, and he replied that it had a percentage. So, what do you all think? Is it a skill? Is anything with a percentage a skill? What things that aren't in the skill list would be considered skills?

-Vek

Not everything with a percentage roll is an actual "skill". By his logic, he could add (or better yet subtract) his IQ skill bonus from the roll in Rifts to determine if a character is a generic minor/major psychic...which is completely unrelated.

If he's not satisfied with either the "because I said so" or "because the RAW don't say so", I would explain to him that the prayers are being made to a divine being that is far above any kind of power level available to regular characters -- as seen in the various abilities mentioned in Dragons & Gods (Book 2), the chances for the mere action of a god with a certain type of attribute level to awe their worshippers...so expecting a god to be "more impressed" by a Priest that happens to have a high IQ attribute that they would be more likely to answer their prayers doesn't fit into that framework at all. Not to mention that most of the deities listed in Dragons & Gods have fairly high IQ attributes as well; they aren't likely to be "impressed" or "overawed" by a worshipper (even a worshipper with say IQ 30) attempting to manipulate them through prayer with their IQ bonus. It just doesn't work on gods.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

green.nova343 wrote:
Veknironth wrote:Well, I had someone recently tell me that they could put their IQ bonus on to a prayer, claming it is a skill. I begged to differ, and he replied that it had a percentage. So, what do you all think? Is it a skill? Is anything with a percentage a skill? What things that aren't in the skill list would be considered skills?

-Vek

Not everything with a percentage roll is an actual "skill". By his logic, he could add (or better yet subtract) his IQ skill bonus from the roll in Rifts to determine if a character is a generic minor/major psychic...which is completely unrelated.

If he's not satisfied with either the "because I said so" or "because the RAW don't say so", I would explain to him that the prayers are being made to a divine being that is far above any kind of power level available to regular characters -- as seen in the various abilities mentioned in Dragons & Gods (Book 2), the chances for the mere action of a god with a certain type of attribute level to awe their worshippers...so expecting a god to be "more impressed" by a Priest that happens to have a high IQ attribute that they would be more likely to answer their prayers doesn't fit into that framework at all. Not to mention that most of the deities listed in Dragons & Gods have fairly high IQ attributes as well; they aren't likely to be "impressed" or "overawed" by a worshipper (even a worshipper with say IQ 30) attempting to manipulate them through prayer with their IQ bonus. It just doesn't work on gods.

Agreed. My rule is if it is on the skill list it gets a bonus, if it isn't then it is a power and doesn't. Dragon Hatchlings don't get the bonus for things like teleportation.

Now, some powers are skill like and might get the bonus. For example the Phase World OCC Turbo-Jockey has Piloting Instinct which is like a skill and says specifically that you add the IQ bonus.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

-Vek

Prayers no, scroll conversion yes.

A prayer has a percentage, but it is not a skill. I might allow a percentage bonus based on MA (god likes me more!), but it's not a skill.

Scroll conversion, OTOH, is a thing you learn that would definitely benefit from being really smart.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”