I was wondering conceal Magic spell...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

There seems that there no conceal Magic spell.
This allows to lower or hide it true level of magic to that of zero or that of normal human P.P.E
Or do the exact opposite to appear to have a higher P.P.E
Or apply to objects
There should be a minor spell and a major spell
P.P.E. Cost: xxx
Duration : xxxx
Range:self or other

What are do you think?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: I was wondering conceal Magic spell...

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

ZINO wrote:I was wondering conceal Magic spell...

There seems that there no conceal Magic spell.
This allows to lower or hide it true level of magic to that of zero or that of normal human P.P.E
Or do the exact opposite to appear to have a higher P.P.E
Or apply to objects
There should be a minor spell and a major spell
P.P.E. Cost: xxx
Duration : xxxx
Range:self or other

What are do you think?

This is what the Transferal spell does. It transfers all of the mage's PPE and Experiance to someone else so they appear to be a low level character with ordinary P.P.E.

Do note: this actually transfers your experiance levels and are a level 1 character for the duration of the spell.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

:ok::ok:
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

I think years ago I created a Mask PPE spell that's based on the psionic ability. Have to see if I still have the details somewhere...
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i was playing with the idea of the "rouge mage" centered around operating inside of magically restricted locations instead of acquiring powerful magic at some point, which got a class feature that let them suppress their magical abilities but got less spells and general power than other spellcasting classes, in the general vibe of a rouge scholar that focused on magic instead of a dedicated spellcaster but i dropped the idea because i didn't see much demand. i could polish it up a bit for you if you like.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Orin J. wrote:i was playing with the idea of the "rouge mage" centered around operating inside of magically restricted locations instead of acquiring powerful magic at some point, which got a class feature that let them suppress their magical abilities but got less spells and general power than other spellcasting classes, in the general vibe of a rouge scholar that focused on magic instead of a dedicated spellcaster but i dropped the idea because i didn't see much demand. i could polish it up a bit for you if you like.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

ZINO wrote:
Orin J. wrote:i was playing with the idea of the "rouge mage" centered around operating inside of magically restricted locations instead of acquiring powerful magic at some point, which got a class feature that let them suppress their magical abilities but got less spells and general power than other spellcasting classes, in the general vibe of a rouge scholar that focused on magic instead of a dedicated spellcaster but i dropped the idea because i didn't see much demand. i could polish it up a bit for you if you like.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

sorry, got sidetracked by unexpected home renovations. Please lemme know if there's any details it still needs , but i think it's game ready at this point.
Rogue Mage O.C.C.
There are many parts of the world in rifts earth where magic is outlawed. Not just the coalition states, but countless minor kingdoms and free towns either ban the use of magic or simply kill anyone found practicing it in a furious lynch mob. For most of those who practice magic, these are places to be avoided, but there are a rare few who thrive developing the craft of magic under these oppressive conditions. These rogue mages practice magecraft under the noses of authority, playing a dangerous game with their very lives.

Some seek to protect other unfortunates from the malice of those who fear magic, other seek to subvert their oppressors and rule from within. And many remain on the run out of a simple desire to seek revenge for oppressing them. But all of these spell-crafters share a prideful streak, a need to stand against the very threat that seeks to drive them out.

Special O.C.C. powers and abilities:
1: Sense ley lines and magic: the rouge mage can feel the presence of magic around them naturally, granting them the following powers without expenditure of PPE
-the rouge mage is able to feel the presence of a ley line within his reach, tell weather is is near or distant and follow that feeling to the ley line. range: 5 miles per level base skill: 30% +3% per each additional level of experience.
-Sense rift: the rouge mage will feel if a rift opens or closes within 30 miles of them. increase by ten miles every other level of experience, starting at level 2. they cannot tell where the rift is, but can tell if it was large or small. Note: if on a lay line connected to the rift, the rouge mage will be able to sense the direction to follow the ley line to reach the rift.
-sense magic in use: the rouge mage can sense the use of magic, whether from a cast spell summoning, or technowizardry can be felt within 50 feet per level of experience. the feeling is not strong enough to tell where it is or to track it, but the rough feeling of weather it was close or distant can be felt.

2:Ley line rejuvenation: the rouge mage can absorb the ley line energy to double natural healing as well as recover heavy exertion within an hour, and light exertion such as walking indefinitely, provided they remain on the ley line.
3: Emptiness trance: after concentrating for 5-10 minutes in meditation, the Rogue Mage may enter a special trance where his spirit is empty. In this state he effectively possesses no magical ability! He is able to function normally as a person but cannot use any of his magical powers and his body only stores 1D6 + 1 PPE per level, and even supernatural creatures cannot sense his magical power! The only sign of the trance is that the mage feels slightly feverish and weak in this state, and suffers - and -1 to hit, dodge, and parry rolls. the rouge mage can still Sense Magic, but may not rejuvenate using ley lines unless they end the trance and allow magic to fill their spirit again. The trance can be ended at will, but PPE is lost by the emptiness trance's effect, and everything over the remaining limited storage is gone and must be recovered as if it were spent.
Find mystic contraband: +20% to Find Contraband when looking for magical works and items. only +10% to finding exotic herbs, materials and information relating to magic but not directly linked to it.
Initial spell knowledge: at first level of experience, the rouge mage may select two spells from both level 1 and 2, and a further two spells from levels 3&4 for a total of six. Each additional level of experience, they will uncover an additional spell equal to their current experience level.
learning new spells: the rouge mage is able to learn and purchase additional spells at any time, provided such are available.
PPE: the rouge mage is normally a living battery of PPE, and gains 2D4x10 PPE plus twice their PE as a base pool of PPE, aw well as gaining 2D4 plus their PE bonus each level. the mage can also draw from ley lines nexuses and others as normal. PPE recovery: the rouge mage regains 4 PPE for hour of rest, or double that for each hour of meditation (which also counts as an hour of physical rest)

O.C.C bonuses: +4 to save vs horror factor, +2 to save vs possession +1 to save vs magic at levels 3, 5, 8, 12, and 15. +1 to spell strength at levels 5, 9, and 14
Rogue Mage O.C.C. stats
Alignment: Any
Attribute Requirements: IQ 10, ME 12 or higher a high dex and MA is desirable but not necessary
Racial Requirements: none, though it is much harder to hide for a rouge mage that's wanted just for their race!
O.C.C. Skills:
Languages; select one at native proficiency and two others (+10%)
Literacy: native language and one other(+30%)
computer operation
Math: basic (+15%)
Pilot: automobile or motorcycle (+10%)
Pilot: one of choice
Prowl
Radio: basic
Running
Streetwise (+5%)
Lore: Magic, Fairies & Creatures of magic and Demons & Monsters (+10%)
Lore: Two of choice
W.P. of choice (2)
Hand to hand combat may be selected as an O.C.C. related skill as follows: Basic counts as one skill selection, Expert as Two, Martial arts and Assassin are unavailable.
O.C.C. related skills: select ten skills but at least four must be from domestic or technical. pick two more skills at levels 3, 5, 8 , 12, and 16
Communication: Any, except Cryptography, Laser communication, and Sensory equipment
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Electrical: none
Espionage: Detect ambush and Pick pockets only (+10%)
Horsemanship: General only
Mechanical: Basic mechanics only
Medical: First aid and Holistic medicine only (+10%)
Military: none
Physical: Any, except Body building, Boxing, Fencing, Kick boxing, SCUBA and Wrestling
Pilot: any, excepting military, robot, and aircrafts (+5%)
Pilot related: Navigation only (+10%)
Rouge: Any, except computer hacking and safecracking (+5%)
Science: Any, excepting astrophysics and artificial intelligence
Technical: Appraise goods, Begging, History (any), Lore (any), Mythology and Philosophy (+10%)
W.P. Any, except for military and heavy weapons of any kind
Wilderness: Identify plants & fruit and Land navigation (+20%)

Secondary Skills
: select six skills at level one, plus one more at levels 4, 9, 11, and 18
Standard Equipment: a couple sets of regular clothes, as well as a set of traveling clothes and a plain, comfortable but large coat, wide-brimmed hat, notebook, several pencils, portable audio player/recorder, binoculars, roll of tape, utility knife, 1D6 hankerchiefs, pocket mirror, comb, large wallet, tinted sunglasses, pocket flashlight, portable radio, backpack, emergency rations(one week), some candies, and personal items. May own a light MDC body armor but is likely to prefer to avoid looking ready for a fight, will lean heavily towards suits that do not impede their ability to sneak away
Weapons: one energy pistol and one SDC firearm each with a few clips of ammunition if proficient as well as one weapon such as a machete or sword if desired. will lean towards concealable weapons wherever possible. may use techno-wizard items, and might possess one TW firearm, a basic model the acquired in trade.
Vehicle: can start with an aged but solid SDC automobile or motorcycle. Reliable but not something that will sell well!
Money: 2D4x 200 credits, 1D6 x 1000 in black market goods in the form of salable mystical paraphernalia. a life in hiding tends not to lend itself to making a lot of cash.
Cybernetics: starts with none. May acquire them later but will avoid them as cybernetics disrupts the body's ability to channel magic!
Calculate gaining levels using the mystic experience table
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have always just used the psionic power "Alter Aura" for the above effect
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Even without a spell a mage has way to spend most their PPE to be below detectable level of dogboys and psi-stalkers.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
green.nova343
Adventurer

So, I couldn't find my old work -- apparently hadn't survived various hard drives over the years -- so I'm going to adapt from scratch. Basically, the idea is that there are certain spells that actually duplicate closely the effects of certain psychic abilities -- for example, See Aura and Telekinesis -- so I could see a mage coming up with additional such "conversions" for some of the others.

Mask P.P.E.:
Level: 1st
Range: self
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience; double the duration near ley lines, and triple near a ley line nexus
P.P.E. Cost: 7
Effects: A spell that allows the character to completely mask all but 1D4 P.P.E. of his personal P.P.E. base. Characters who can sense magic energy or see auras will assume the character has an insignificant amount of P.P.E., and no magical abilities. This spell is particularly good as protection against Psi-Stalkers and other P.P.E. vampires, as well as sensitives such as Dog Boys.
Gem for Techno-Wizardry Items: Tiger Eye (3,000CR/carat).

Mask I.S.P. & Psionics
Level: 1st
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience; double the duration near ley lines, and triple near a ley line nexus
P.P.E. Cost: 4
Effects: A spell that allows the character to completely mask all spiritual aspects of his psychic energies & powers, including temporarily altering their aura. Characters who can detect psychic abilities or see auras will not sense the character's psychic abilities. However, because the spell partially blocks them off from the psychic world, it will interfere with their ability to use their own psychic senses & abilities: double the normal I.S.P. cost to use their abilities; if the ability has no I.S.P. cost but has a percentage chance to use, drop the percentage chance to half normal; if there is no I.S.P. cost and no percentage chance to use the ability, the range and duration will be cut in half instead.

Alter Aura
Level: 2nd
Duration: 30 minutes per level of experience
P.P.E. Cost: 2 or 6 (see below)
Effects: Psychics and other beings that can see auras know that every living being (and some undead ones) have an otherwise-invisible, colorful energy field that surrounds them, which skilled observers can use to determine certain aspects of that person's capabilities. With this spell, however, the user can change his aura to look completely different than normal: stronger/weaker, more/less physically fit, lacking/possessing psychic abilities, evil vs. good, etc. Possible alterations include:
  • General level of experience can look lower (1 or 2 levels less) or higher (+1D4+3 levels) than his true level
  • Conceal his true alignment & overlay it with another alignment of any type
  • Can choose to partially mask their I.S.P. base to be less than it truly is, or even hide all psychic ability (but cannot pretend to have a larger I.S.P. base)
  • Conceal base P.P.E., making it appear to be only 1 or 2 P.P.E.
  • Conceal the presence of magical ability (but only applies to his innate abilities; cannot mask the magical abilities of any items he carries. But see below)
  • Conceal his true physical attributes, anywhere from half actual to 30% higher
  • Can make it appear that he is weak or sickly (i.e. suffering from cancer), or even fatigued
  • Can appear agitated, unstable, or depressed (but not aggressive or alert)
  • If the mage expends 6 P.P.E., he can adjust his aura to appear as if he's terminally ill or possessed.

Techno-Wizardry Note: When these spells are incorporated into a TW item, the Techno-Wizard will need to designate whether the spell will be used to affect the item itself, or the user of the item. For the Alter Aura spell, I would recommend that each particular adjustment (i.e. alignment, level, attributes, psychic ability, etc.) require a separate application of the spell in the spell chain (although no additional gems will be required); however, if the adjustment itself is fixed and cannot be altered when used (i.e. item is set to always show the character is 3 levels higher than their actual level), reduce the P.P.E. cost by 50%.

Note that neither these spells, nor the similar psionic powers they're based on, will prevent the detection of any overt use of magic. For example, even if your P.P.E. base is masked to the point that it looks like you only have 3 P.P.E., a Coalition Dog Boy won't ignore you if you have a glowing ball of light (Globe of Daylight) floating around you, or you just flung a Fire Ball at a UAR-1 Enforcer.

As for the usefulness of these, especially the Alter Aura spell...imagine a psychic or mage assassin, that plans on using surgery, spells, or some other ability to mimic a known associate of the target...but the target uses security that can see auras & detect said abilities. By utilizing these spells, the assassin could mask their abilities, or even alter their aura, so that they can better take the place of the known associate, allowing them to get close enough to their target.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The thing is, that senses/powers that detect Magic only detect PPE levels and/or whether or not an active spell is there or is there a spell being activated.
What they do not do is detect whether or not he individual can cast magic.

So as long as the magic user doesn't have a high PPE level they can pass as a normal. Which is the basic idea behind the Transferal spell.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
green.nova343
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The thing is, that senses/powers that detect Magic only detect PPE levels and/or whether or not an active spell is there or is there a spell being activated.
What they do not do is detect whether or not he individual can cast magic.

So as long as the magic user doesn't have a high PPE level they can pass as a normal. Which is the basic idea behind the Transferal spell.

The only problem is that the mage is then limited by a) only having 4 PPE (which eliminates most spells above 1st level), b) any spell they cast is treated as if cast by a 1st-level mage (even if the mage was, say, 10th-level) because their "magical essence" is transferred to the unknowing recipient, & c) until the mage touches the recipient (or the spell runs out, or the recipient is killed) they cannot get their powers back. In contrast, using one of these custom spells masks your abilities without cutting off your access to them.

And Transferal says that they transfer also the "mystical ability" portion of their aura to deceive anyone with the ability to see auras.

Also...RUE, p. 153, says that a Psi-Stalker will known as soon as a psychic walks into the room, because of the "scent" of their ISP base, including a chance to recognize a specific person's psychic "scent". Although it doesn't give an example for mages, it does mention high PPE bases in the same sentence with detecting ISP bases, & lists that separately from the active use of psionics & spells/TW items. Dog Boys have the same thing on p. 145 (just a shorter range): 50ft + 20ft/lvl for Psi-Stalkers, 50ft + 5ft/level for Dog Boys, to detect them when they're not using their powers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

green.nova343 wrote:Also...RUE, p. 153, says that a Psi-Stalker will known as soon as a psychic walks into the room, because of the "scent" of their ISP base, including a chance to recognize a specific person's psychic "scent". Although it doesn't give an example for mages, it does mention high PPE bases in the same sentence with detecting ISP bases, & lists that separately from the active use of psionics & spells/TW items. Dog Boys have the same thing on p. 145 (just a shorter range): 50ft + 20ft/lvl for Psi-Stalkers, 50ft + 5ft/level for Dog Boys, to detect them when they're not using their powers.

➲Psi Stalkers: Mages are not necessarily Psychics, the only one that is listed as a psychic in RUE is the Techno Wizard. (Yes Mystics are psychics, but they are not Mages (practitioners of the Magical Sciences). They are practitioners of the Magical Arts) The only thing in the Power #1 of the PS that says anything about magic is that it detects ""Magic"", not the 'ability to make magic'. Later on it further defines what sort of magic it can detect...."active magic". And then says they can sort of detect direction and sort know whether the amount of energy being used is high or low.

➲ Psychic scent in the PS and PH text....there is nothing in the psychic scent text that says they can scenes magic ability in it. It does say that magic broadcasts the psychic scent of the magic user. So if a PS or PH has experienced a magic user casting magic, then later they can recognize that specific individual as a magic user.

In game example...a LLW unknown to the PS or PH, who isn't wearing anything magical, nor being the target of any active magic, and has a normal level of PPE for an adult normal, could walk by and the PS/PH not know they are a mage.

Critical Reading at work here.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
green.nova343
Adventurer

"Sensitivity to a psychic or magic practitioner not using his powers is 50 feet (15 m) + 20 feet (6 m) per each additional level of experience. Sensitivity to psionic and magic powers being used is 600ft (182 M) + 100 feet (30.5 m) per level of experience."

That's on page 153 of RUE, describing the Psi-Stalker's ability to sense both psychics and mages, even when not actively using magic or psionics.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

You should of lead with that. Not irrelevant text.

Return to “Rifts®”