HELP! New to rifts need character creation suggestions.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: HELP! New to rifts need character creation suggestions.

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

psiandco wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
psiandco wrote:
riftsnewbie wrote: be sure to watch out for the vampires."

Eh.
Sounds pretty fun to me.
:-D

that's why I recommend building a shelter. if a vamp doesn't have permission...

Then he huffy and puffs and breaks your shelter down now it isn't a shelter anymore.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
psiandco
Explorer

Unread post by psiandco »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
psiandco wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
psiandco wrote:
riftsnewbie wrote: be sure to watch out for the vampires."

Eh.
Sounds pretty fun to me.

Then he huffy and puffs and breaks your shelter down now it isn't a shelter anymore.

uh-oh... we is vambi snax! aaayyyyiiieeeeeee!

Seriously, if vampires "can't enter a home without invitation", I don't think they are allowed to rip apart your "shelter", because an MDC Supernatural strength undead can tear their way into a bank vault no problem. however, if that vault is a "Home", and the vampire can't come in without an invitation...
I doubt the vampire would be able to get close enough to scratch the paint.

So it depends.
A.) Are Vampires creatures of magic, bound by mystical rules, and vulnerabilities, and opposed by the Christian faith?
"It isn't the symbol of a cross that destroys the undead. Technically any picket fence is made of nothing but Crosses. It is the FAITH of the person holding the cross, that is what matters." "Wooden stakes are deadlier an M.D. Laser?" "Why does Silver harm vampires?" "Why does garlic repel them?" why can't a vampire cross "running water" (if all they gotta do is fly or go around)? why are the Myths and legends so definitive on how vampires can be fought?
...Or...
B.) Are vampires just invincible killing machines who are all like "Wat evs".
NOM-NOM-NOM-NOM. "oh, check out my sparkles", "my, the sunlight is bright today"

One type of mythical vampire can be fought, The other? no. human extinction is guaranteed.

so which is it, Zerokay?
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

based on their limitations, I would tend to argue that vampires cannot directly attack and destroy a "home"
if they are creative they MAY be able to work around that restriction but it would be indirectly

for instance they cannot walk up and tear open the walls of a home, or shoot holes in it.
on the other hand if an alley (not mind controlled minion) does it and makes it no longer a home then they can,
they also might be able to create situations where environmental attacks make it no longer a home, depending on the rules they are under.

if a boulder "falls on it" a fire burns it down or it floods etc.

of course I also believe most vampires (especially wild ones) won't usually do that because they are too direct and straight forward to explore the limits of the rules that bind them
psiandco
Explorer

Unread post by psiandco »

guardiandashi wrote:based on their limitations, I would tend to argue that vampires cannot directly attack and destroy a "home"
if they are creative they MAY be able to work around that restriction but it would be indirectly
for instance they cannot walk up and tear open the walls of a home, or shoot holes in it.
on the other hand if an alley (not mind controlled minion) does it and makes it no longer a home then they can,
they also might be able to create situations where environmental attacks make it no longer a home, depending on the rules they are under.
of course I also believe most vampires (especially wild ones) won't usually do that because they are too direct and straight forward to explore the limits of the rules that bind them
if there was a way to upvote posts... I give this one a +10.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

psiandco wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
psiandco wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
psiandco wrote:Eh.
Sounds pretty fun to me.

uh-oh... we is vambi snax! aaayyyyiiieeeeeee!

Seriously, if vampires "can't enter a home without invitation", I don't think they are allowed to rip apart your "shelter", because an MDC Supernatural strength undead can tear their way into a bank vault no problem. however, if that vault is a "Home", and the vampire can't come in without an invitation...
I doubt the vampire would be able to get close enough to scratch the paint.

So it depends.
A.) Are Vampires creatures of magic, bound by mystical rules, and vulnerabilities, and opposed by the Christian faith?
"It isn't the symbol of a cross that destroys the undead. Technically any picket fence is made of nothing but Crosses. It is the FAITH of the person holding the cross, that is what matters." "Wooden stakes are deadlier an M.D. Laser?" "Why does Silver harm vampires?" "Why does garlic repel them?" why can't a vampire cross "running water" (if all they gotta do is fly or go around)? why are the Myths and legends so definitive on how vampires can be fought?
...Or...
B.) Are vampires just invincible killing machines who are all like "Wat evs".
NOM-NOM-NOM-NOM. "oh, check out my sparkles", "my, the sunlight is bright today"

One type of mythical vampire can be fought, The other? no. human extinction is guaranteed.

so which is it, Zerokay?

1.5 the vamp can still toss a grenade at your cardboard box. Picket fences have supports at the tops and bottoms and are connected to each other making them not crosses.

All Sparkly vampires die!!!

And no it isn't either, or. I have to choose from your binary choices. Indeed I'm the GM in my game and if vampires are a pretty shell placed around a swirling mass of plasma which is allergic to garlic and silver and has a racially transmitted phobia of crosses then that is what they are.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

guardiandashi wrote:based on their limitations, I would tend to argue that vampires cannot directly attack and destroy a "home"

Agreed. I may even go as far as non wilds could come up with an idea to douse the house in fuel or plant explosives but would require a minion to press the button or throw the torch. Also ripping off a wall doesn't make a building not a home nor does a Boulder running through it. For me for something to no longer be classified as "not a home" it has to be unlivable.
hup7
Wanderer

Unread post by hup7 »

Am I the only one who doesn't subscribe to "wherever I lay my hat... that's my home"?

A shelter is not a home, neither is a tent, but hey feel free to adjudicate by the Paul Young Rule (Yes, I know Marvin Gaye wrote it but the Paul Young version has more feeling IMHO)
riftsnewbie
D-Bee

Unread post by riftsnewbie »

For anyone interested, I took Psiandco's suggestion and started writing up a journal for the campaign that prompted this thread. I posted it in separate thread on the Rifts board titled "Campaign Journal: Dirty Quarter Dozen."

For what it's worth, the question of vampires, homes and shelters hasn't come up in play yet (though vampires very much have).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

hup7 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't subscribe to "wherever I lay my hat... that's my home"?

A shelter is not a home, neither is a tent, but hey feel free to adjudicate by the Paul Young Rule (Yes, I know Marvin Gaye wrote it but the Paul Young version has more feeling IMHO)

So that is what it isn't to you so what is?
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I'm confused... why would you need to give a vampire permission to enter your home, shelter, tent, or whatever?
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

By the game rules? I'm not aware of that being a limitation for Rifts/Palladium vampires. No idea why it's being mentioned here.

From mythology? It's a mystical compulsion based on the collective belief that the threshold is considered to be a magical barrier that gives security to one's home. It's the same way a simple lock is believed to protect you when anyone who really wants to enter can break/bypass it with ease.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:By the game rules? I'm not aware of that being a limitation for Rifts/Palladium vampires. No idea why it's being mentioned here.

Yeah, game rules is why I was asking. It is a Rifts forum after all! That's why I was confused - thought I might be missing something. Thanks.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

No sweat.

Though, honestly, it whould be a good limitation for them and is no more nonsensical than holy symbols or running water. Sure, getting past the limitation is pretty trivial under most circumstances, especially for master vampires, but it would be a useful tool for adventurers and vampire hunters to take advantage, too. Being able to set up a small reprieve in the middle of a hunt/vampire country would be much welcome. Even if you'd still have to be incredibly paranoid about it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Yeah, I don't recall the Invitation being a thing in Palladium's games.
If it was, the vampires could still destroy the home/shelter/whatever. They can chuck boulders, after all.
Or they could use mind control to get you to come out.

Really, the mind control is one of the more deadly abilities the vampires have, and it seems to be pretty commonly underused and underestimated.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
EliBenedict
Wanderer

Unread post by EliBenedict »

Palladium likes to use psuedo-science fortean explanations for the supernatural (ghosts are actually inter-dimensional entities that imprint on the brain patterns of the dying, rather than spirits of the dead. Sunlight and running water damage vampires because of something about their physical properties, rather than their symbolism of sanitation and health [hence anti-vampire squirt guns,] that kind of thing.)

The invitation thing is harder to fit into a psuedo-science framework, which might be why Kevin dropped it. If you were trying to shoe-horn it in, you might say it has something to do with the owner/resident's psychic imprint in their abode reflexively repelling the vampire in some fashion.

In which case, it might be an effect that kicks in after you've lived in a particular home long enough.

Return to “Rifts®”