Macross 40th Anniversary - Events, Goods, and Releases

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Macross 40th Anniversary - Events, Goods, and Releases

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

It's an exciting time to be a Macross fan!

2022 is the Macross franchise's 40th Anniversary, and with the roadblocks to international distribution torn down earlier this year we're starting to see the first few global releases and plans for the franchise's worldwide presence going forward. The Macross Galactic Launch Ceremony 2021 event last month had several announcements about releases in the near future. Since it hasn't been posted here yet, I figured I'd share a few highlights.

Macross soundtracks on Streaming
Starting November 21st, music from the soundtracks of Macross II: Lovers Again, Macross Plus, Macross Seven, Macross Zero, Macross Frontier, Macross Delta and other titles are now available worldwide on most popular streaming services including iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music Unlimited, and YouTube Music (fmrly. Google Play Music).

Bandai DX Chogokin Toys to be released worldwide
Bandai/Tamashii Nations will be releasing its first global DX Chogokin Macross toys starting in April 2022 with a special commemorative "Worldwide" edition.

https://www.tamashiinations.com/special/wwmacross2021/

The first release, planned for April 2022, is a Worldwide Anniversary edition of the VF-25F Messiah from Macross Frontier.

Fathom Events limited engagement: Macross Plus MOVIE Edition
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/mac ... ie-edition

In partnership with Fathom Events, there is going to be a limited theatrical showing of Macross Plus: the Movie in theaters around the US on December 14th!
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Macross 40th Anniversary - Events, Goods, and Releases

OtakuMode is also offering a limited edition Macross Plus t-shirt to commemorate the movie's limited theatrical engagement:
https://otakumode.com/shop/6197732c0cbf ... ve-T-Shirt

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I'm stoked mostly for the soundtracks to be on streaming....and do look forward to the availability of more toys so i can start collecting some VFs...

Any word on official english translation materials like chronicle, master books, etc?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight

jaymz wrote:I'm stoked mostly for the soundtracks to be on streaming....and do look forward to the availability of more toys so i can start collecting some VFs...

Any word on official english translation materials like chronicle, master books, etc?

Nothing yet. Amazon has been messing about with the availability of some books for international shipping, which may be an early sign that licensing is being worked out for some of them.

It's unconfirmed, but some folks did some digging around on the Atom Films website and there are some tantalizing hints we may be getting a theatrical release of DYRL.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Sweet!
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight

https://macross.jp/news-detail/21252/

Recently announced, the Macross 40th Anniversary Super Dimension Collaboration album Deculture!! Mixture!!!!! will be released on April 6th.

Deculture!! Mixture!!!!! is a cover album featuring Macross Frontier songstresses May'n (Sheryl Nome) and Megumi Nakajima covering five songs by Macross Delta idol group Walkure, and the five members of Walkure - JUNNA (Mikumo), Kiyono Yasuno (Kaname), Nozomi Nishida (Makina), Nao Toyoma (Reina), and Minori Suzuki (Freya) - covering five songs from Macross Frontier. Three of each set of five songs were chosen from last summer's Super Dimension Collaboration Song Election!!!!!!! poll, with the other two being the most iconic songs of their respective shows. The album also includes a new arrangement of the iconic song "Do You Remember Love?" performed by all seven vocalists.

May'n and Megumi will be covering:
  • Forbidden Borderline
  • Our Battlefield
  • Ruin of a Pure Heart
  • Giraffe Blues (May'n solo)
  • Uncertainty ☆ COSMIC MOVEMENT (Megumi solo)

Walkure will be covering:
  • Wings of Goodbye ~ End of the Triangle
  • Lion
  • Afterschool Overflow
  • Universal Bunny
  • Northern Cross

The album is already available for preorder in regular and limited editions on several Japanese direct-sale sites.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Awesome to hear all this! Can't wait to hear when some dubs are coming out!
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:Awesome to hear all this! Can't wait to hear when some dubs are coming out!

Yeah, that's the big one we're all waiting for... kind of expecting an answer to that one in summer or early fall, since the actual 40th Anniversary is October 3rd.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:Awesome to hear all this! Can't wait to hear when some dubs are coming out!

Yeah, that's the big one we're all waiting for... kind of expecting an answer to that one in summer or early fall, since the actual 40th Anniversary is October 3rd.

That's good to hear. Will be nice to get some legal stuff. After Frontier came out, and I liked it so much, I went looking for a DVD set with english sub. The set I got, I think would be called a bot leg copy, even though I got it off of Amazon, IIRR. The box and the DVD's looked nice, but the video quality was a little off. So in the end, I don't know. So I'm so looking forward to the dubs. I don't like subs, always have to pause the video to read the subs, or have to rewind when I don't read fast enough, plus, I'm not "looking" at the picture, but if its the only thing available... So if dubs are available, its dubs every time for me.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:That's good to hear. Will be nice to get some legal stuff.

Yeah, it really will... the Macross Delta Japanese editions have official English subs, but apart from one very rare Macross Frontier limited edition they were the first to do an end-run around Harmony Gold's attempt to block Macross imports.

It'd be even nicer if the western releases translate the extensive liner notes that accompany the Japanese editions. Less work for me that way.

Alpha 11 wrote:After Frontier came out, and I liked it so much, I went looking for a DVD set with english sub. The set I got, I think would be called a bot leg copy, even though I got it off of Amazon, IIRR. The box and the DVD's looked nice, but the video quality was a little off. So in the end, I don't know.

Very safe bet you have a bootleg... there was only one Frontier box set that had official English subs, and it was a limited edition from about five years after the series aired that cost like $400.

Alpha 11 wrote:So I'm so looking forward to the dubs. I don't like subs, always have to pause the video to read the subs, or have to rewind when I don't read fast enough, plus, I'm not "looking" at the picture, but if its the only thing available... So if dubs are available, its dubs every time for me.

All things considered, I'm inclined to wonder if the dubs will be on a significant delay or left out entirely... most new streaming anime doesn't bother to dub shows before release, and dubs tend to end up losing a lot of important context and such when there isn't a direct English translation of certain terms. It's especially bad in humorour moments, since there are several types of jokes that just don't translate at all.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Just announced at WonderCon... Macross Frontier: the False Songstress and Macross Frontier: the Wings of Goodbye will be having a limited US theatrical screening via Fathom Events this summer. Dates and locations to follow.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Sweet

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight

The Deculture!! Mixture!!!!! Macross 40th Anniversary album is now out in all three editions (Frontier Limited, Delta Limited, and Regular).

My copies just rolled in an hour or so ago.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:The Deculture!! Mixture!!!!! Macross 40th Anniversary album is now out in all three editions (Frontier Limited, Delta Limited, and Regular).

Sweet! Hopefully when I have some spare money, they will still be around and I can get them.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:The Deculture!! Mixture!!!!! Macross 40th Anniversary album is now out in all three editions (Frontier Limited, Delta Limited, and Regular).

Sweet! Hopefully when I have some spare money, they will still be around and I can get them.

They're also available on several music streaming services including Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube Music.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

The first DVD and Blu-ray release of Macross Delta: Absolute Live!!!!!! has been announced for September 28th.

It's a Japan release, presumably with an international release to follow later, but the JDM release does have official English subtitles the same as the previous releases for the TV series and Passionate Walkure.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UBx7VJJLBo

The Basara Explosion 2022 Macross concert on YouTube.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Seto Kaiba wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UBx7VJJLBo

The Basara Explosion 2022 Macross concert on YouTube.

My enthusiasm depends on whether Basra actually explodes in this; I'd pay money to see him spontaneously combust, ala Spinal Tap.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:My enthusiasm depends on whether Basra actually explodes in this; I'd pay money to see him spontaneously combust, ala Spinal Tap.

I can confirm that Yoshiki Fukuyama does not, in fact, combust or explode at any point during the concert.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Also noteworthy, a new volume of Variable Fighter Master File has been announced.

The thirteenth installment of the Variable Fighter Master File series of technical manuals will be Variable Fighter Master File: VF-31AX Kairos Plus. It's set to come out alongside the home video release of Macross Delta the Movie: Absolute Live!!!!! in September 2022.

Spoiler:
The twelve previous volumes are:
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.1 "Stratospheric Wings"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 Excalibur "Trail of the Holy Sword"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.2 "Space Wings"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah "New Messiah"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-0 Phoenix "The Phoenix of the Beginning"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: SDF-1 Macross VF-1 Air Corps
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-22 Sturmvogel II "Invisible Monster Bird"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-4 Lightning III "Resurrection's Arrow"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-31 Siegfried "The Knight Hunting a Dragon"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.3 Battroid Valkyrie "Heavenly Giant"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-11 Thunderbolt "Galactic Lightning"
  • Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.4 VF-1S Roy Focker Special "Hero's Light Trail"

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Seto Kaiba wrote:[
I can confirm that Yoshiki Fukuyama does not, in fact, combust or explode at any point during the concert.

False advertising then. I was hoping at the very least to see a gel-fueled torch imitation involving his ridiculous upswept hair.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Incidentally, next month the Macross Frontier movies will be doing the promised limited engagement in US theaters via Fathom Events:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Mac ... 2022-06-16
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Mac ... 2022-06-30

Tickets are on sale now. :)

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Big West's official Macross YouTube channel posted this promotional video for the Fathom Events screenings of Macross Frontier: the False Songstress and Macross Frontier: the Wings of Farewell scheduled for June.

https://youtu.be/wdL_DUUTvng

As per Fathom Events own particular practice, both movies will be preceded by a special short feature/message from voice actresses Aya Endo (Sheryl Nome's non-singing voice) and Megumi Nakajima (Ranka Lee's voice actress).

The Wings of Farewell will also have a Sheryl/Ranka music video special feature.

Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

So, i input my zip code for where those movies will be showing, i live 20-25 minutes from the theatre those movies will be showing at :D
The Dragon Has Spoken
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Yeah, for an outfit that specializes in small, limited engagement screenings of films they have surprisingly good national coverage.

There were half a dozen venues near me when I booked my tickets a few days back. I'm hoping we see a good turnout like we did for Macross Plus: Movie Edition... that could hopefully lead to screenings of Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure and Macross Delta: Absolute Live!!!!!! next.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Plamax announced a few more Minimum Factory plamodels recently as well... Misa Hayase, Lynn Minmay, and Hikaru Ichijo's VF-1A/S Valkyrie from Macross: Do You Remember Love?. Those are set to come out January '23.

Also, the Macross Delta: Absolute Live!!!!!! and Macross Frontier: Labyrinth of Time English subbed preorders are still open at CDJapan and a few other sites for those looking to get copies of the latest Macross movie(s) w/ official English subs.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Cospa has a bunch of new Macross apparel dropping in August, including a number of T-shirts, hoodies, a tote, backpack, and thermos.

https://www.hlj.com/search/?Word=Macros ... spa&Page=1
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term ... _language=

Also noteworthy on the immediate horizon, Arcadia is reissuing the 1/60 scale YF-19-2 from Macross Plus and 1/60 scale SV-51y Nora Polyansky type from Macross Zero on 6/30.

EDIT: Edited to add link to Cospa items on CDJapan.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”