Bio-propeller?

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

Bio-propeller?

Unread post by abe »

How would you fine people make a bio-propeller for say gremlins or other people/creatures to fly with? :mrgreen:
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Slight001
Hero

Re: Bio-propeller?

Unread post by Slight001 »

I wouldn't... a propeller is an object spinning in place with a number of sacrificial parts used to allow that action to take place.

No organic creature is likely to ever develop this kind of process and if it did... the best you could likely get is something akin to antler bone, which is dead btw, that is contained/grown within a socket with the capacity of generating a hydraulic action, the only way I can imagine an organic life form creating any kind of spinning action as muscle tissue just doesn't work that way. These bone blades would only be capable of functioning for a rather limited time and if broken couldn't be regrown.

At best by my reasoning you'd be looking at a creation that was a limited use drone with limited duration and likely drastically limited lifespan.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Your forgetting 1 paramesium. I personally forgot it’s scientific name though
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

You talking about the cilia structures of some 'primitive' forms of life?

I discounted it because of scaling issues. Which is also why it doesn't get used by anyone beyond a few cells in size. IIRC cilia works because of the scaling differences with the way water interacts with life of the scale of the small single cell forms of life.

IIRC water is to a bacteria what dirt is to us and air is akin to water. No idea where I heard that so take it with a grain of salt.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

If librarians could read the dna of paramecium then they MIGHT be able to make bio-propellers.
killgore444
Wanderer
Comment: Brains are of little value to a warrior if they are no longer contained in his broken skull.

Unread post by killgore444 »

Sticking a propeller into a living organism is probably a bad idea, however you could use a resin caster to create one and a gearbox and then attach a specially designed muscle/organism designed around it.

Make having a resin caster a prerequisite, and then say that that you grow not just the muscles that turn what is essentially a bike pedal, but extensions to the RC and whatever micro-limbs and what-not that is needed to form said pedal, gearbox, shaft and propeller.

I did something similar with jet engines, but my campaign is specifically mostly characters from other worlds with actual knowledge of how mechanics works. But I added the ability to generate chemicals (fuel source) as well. I never actually considered boats since I created bio-whale warmounts.
You could also use this to create regular guns, although I'd think a light-cell pistol would be better.
History is where we look to for answers and guidance. History explains who we are, where we came from, and everything about our world. History is full of lies.
"Changing history to suit your purposes has a long and successful history."

Return to “Splicers®”