Being Australian.....

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Being Australian.....

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Being Australian, I did purchase the Australia World book and was disappointed to find out that Yowies ae not what I know them to be.

Basically the Aussie version of North-America's Big-Foot, or the Canadian Sasquatch. (Sorry If I got that wrong.) Even the Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yowie ) has a strange description for the Australian Yowie and to quote....

"The natives of Australia ... believe in ... YOWIE ... This being they describe as resembling a man ... of nearly the same height, ... with long white hair hanging down from the head over the features ... the arms as extraordinarily long, furnished at the extremities with great talons, and the feet turned backwards, so that, on flying from man, the imprint of the foot appears as if the being had travelled in the opposite direction. Altogether, they describe it as a hideous monster of an unearthy character and ape-like appearance."

Sounds a bit far fetched, but not as far fetched as....

"A giant monstrosity that looks like a combination of lizard or insect, with a long scaled covered body, six insectoid legs, a long tail like snake, and a huge horned, dragon like head."

I don't know what that is, but it certainly isn't the Yowie that I know of.

I request revision of this monster
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Re: Being Australian.....

Okay, nobody agrees or disagrees with me......

2nd. How come Cyber Knights are based in the American West and I assume the British Isles (I'm still reading up on them.) but not Australia?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Cyber Knights are trained out of a single Monestary in North America by the Founder who is actually a repurposed PC from Kevin S.'s origional Palladium of Desires campaign. The only way to become a Cyber Knight is to train there or as a direct apprentice to an existing Cyber Knight.

And because travel over the Seas is very rough and dangerous full of monsters and pirates, basically nobody from North America has ever gone to Austrilia since the Apocalypse deliberately and vice versa. There may well be one or two *somewhere* in Australia via Dimensional Anomalies on Rifts Earth or the party Shifter misfiring, but no statistical significance.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Good to know.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

If you want them to reconsider the design for a monster, maybe you could provide an example yourself? As a native to the area the cryptid is from you'd certainly have the ability to research it better than us in the states.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Orin J. wrote:If you want them to reconsider the design for a monster, maybe you could provide an example yourself? As a native to the area the cryptid is from you'd certainly have the ability to research it better than us in the states.

I will certainly look into it and by research you mean the research I haven't done already. You know, asking around face to face with people who claim to have seen one for real. Although, I'm tempted to just look in the North American book for Rifts and see if they have a entry for Big Foot copy that one, translating it to Australian. That's if they haven't got that one wrong as well.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

The first three pages support my version of the Yowie...

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Yowie? ... _front.jpg

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Yowie? ... s_back.jpg

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Yowie

Yet the fourth supports the version found in the Australian World book...

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Yowie

Much to my surprise and dismay :oops: So, I'm not sure what to believe now, but still prefer my version. 8-)

I think they were omitted that way, because of the back ground information stating that there was no way a Yowie could be the same creature as the North American Big-Foot because they've been geographically cut off for such long time. Still, as feasible as it sounds, I think nature finds a way as always.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

About the Nature Spellcaster. On page 130 of the Australian World book if you roll 61-80 on the Special Mutant Powers table.

Quoting from the book again....
Knows one spell from common wizard spells selected from spell levels 1,2,3,4,5, & 6. Additionally, the Nate intuitively learns one additional spell per every subsequent level of experience equal to his or her own level of experience.

I know I asked a question very similar to this one on another thread on this forum. But I'm just double checking to be sure. Please explain the above. I interpreted the rule as either selecting one spell for each of those levels (coming to a total of six spells.) or just selecting one spell from a selection of the 1 to 6 spell lists and just leaving it at that. (Coming to total of one spell.)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

They pick one spell every level, but only spells levels 1-6. So no spells of level 7 or higher no matter how high their own level is. even at level 15 they can only get a spell from level 6 at most.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Okay, I got that. Assuming, from the start I pick only one spell from the from the first list of spells at first level?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Looking back at page 130, I was wrong. At level 1, he knows 1 spell from levels 1-6, and then every other level a spell equal to his current level, even beyond six, so at level 15 they must pick a level 15 spell.

The level 1-6 ONLY applies to the spell known at first level. that's it. every level beyond is equal to current level.

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Right, thanks.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Back on the subject of Yowies. What do you prefer,

What they have come up with in the book or what I would prefer them to be.

Lets vote on this.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

After reading up on the Wendigo (Page 127, the Spirit West World book 15) and the Spirit Sasquatch, True Sasquatch and the Worldly Sasquatch (Pages 160-166, the Canada World Book 20), I have decided if I to ever run a Australian Rifts game, I going to replace their Yowie (Pages 186-188, the Australian World Book 19.) with the True Sasquatch and Worldly Sasquatch (For player characters.) and just call it a Yowie. Making a slight adjustment to them to make them seem more Australian.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”