Newest write up of paired weapons.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Newest write up of paired weapons.

Unread post by SittingBull »

Are we reading it wrong or does dual striking now NOT cost you your automatic parry?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Newest write up of paired weapons.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Newest as of...?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The RUE paired weapons text (page 346) in the combat lexicon specifically says using a dual strike means you loose the ability to auto-parry the opponents next attack.
EDIT: second RUE printing

The 2nd sentence lists the things that can be done with paired weapons.....
Strike and parry
dual strike one target
dual strike two targets
parry two attacks

The WP Paired Weapons goes into this in more detail, on;y adding onto what is said in the combat lexicon text.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Which edition is being referenced? (potential stealth update here?)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Second RUE printing if you didn't see the edit.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

And which edition is SittingBull using?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SittingBull
Hero

eliakon wrote:And which edition is SittingBull using?

Page 327 of the RUe 1st printing.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

No. You still lose your auto-parry if you use the dual attack (...is vulnerable to attack....)

SittingBull
Hero

Is this something the rewrote in a later printing? Not that it will matter to my GM, I'm just curious.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SittingBull wrote:Is this something the rewrote in a later printing? Not that it will matter to my GM, I'm just curious.

The changes made in the 2nd printing of RUE are detailed in the Cutting Room Floor.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
SittingBull
Hero

Cut you post a link to this cutting room floor?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SittingBull
Hero

Thank you but I see nothing about wp paired weapons in that pdf.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Losing your auto-parry when doing a dual strike has been standard all the way back to the days of TMNT and Hu1r which came out Looooooong before Rifts saw it's first printing.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

From the RUE's Combat Lexicon's paired weapons.
User of paired weapons can strike and parry simultaneously, can do twin strikes against a single target or against a pair of targets, and can parry two different opponents at the same time.

However, a twin simultaneous strike with both weapons means losing the automatic parry and leave the character open to his opponent's next attack without benefit of a parry (dodge is optional but uses up a melee action/attack).

I quoted from the lexicon (page 346) cause there is less text to sort through for the relevant bits.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

So what I see is that you do lose automatic parry when you strike with both weapons at once, but you retain automatic dodge if you have it.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:From the RUE's Combat Lexicon's paired weapons.
User of paired weapons can strike and parry simultaneously, can do twin strikes against a single target or against a pair of targets, and can parry two different opponents at the same time.

However, a twin simultaneous strike with both weapons means losing the automatic parry and leave the character open to his opponent's next attack without benefit of a parry (dodge is optional but uses up a melee action/attack).

I quoted from the lexicon (page 346) cause there is less text to sort through for the relevant bits.

From the way I am reading the second quote, it's treating a twin simultaneous strike the same as a simultaneous strike in that you are giving up a parry attempt for an attack. I do not see where it explicitly states here in these quotes that attacking with both weapons at the same time leaves themselves unable to parry.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

If what is meant that the attacker (char A) using a dual strike option looses the Auto-parry when the target of the attack (Char B) chooses to simultaneous strike the attacker(char A) then the text directly concerning this situations is found in the simultaneous attack covers the duel strike action. Thus the answer to the question is not solely found in the paired weapons text.

Taking the paired weapons and simultaneous attack texts in combination, this means the Paired weapons wielder can choose to attack with all his weapons (loosing all ability to parry till his recovers from attacking) or only attack with a less then all their weapons holding the unused in reserve to retain the ability to parry other's weapon attacks. Even if it is the attacker's target making a simultaneous attack.
(Yep, I am doing some particular wording to also cover those races/heros with more then just two arms.)

I believe the 2nd passage I quoted was meant to mean that anyone that strikes with all their weapons in a single melee attack will not be able to parry anyone's attacks while they were making that attack and during their recovery from making that attack.
SittingBull
Hero

Simultaneous attacks were not a factor in this post. Just double attacking.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SittingBull wrote:Simultaneous attacks were not a factor in this post. Just double attacking.

The this.....

....covers it. Answering yes, they do lose the ability to parry just after their attack.
SittingBull
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
SittingBull wrote:Simultaneous attacks were not a factor in this post. Just double attacking.

The this.....

....covers it. Answering yes, they do lose the ability to parry just after their attack.

Well good to know its still around but since everyone in the game, I am in, has auto-dodge, its a mute point. Thank you all.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

You wield 1 weapon, you attack with it. You can still make auto-parries.

You wield 2 weapons, you attack with both. Suddenly you can't make auto-parries.

Oh, but you can still dodge, and if you have an ability that lets you dodge without using an action, it's assumed you can use that as well.

Perfect sense, all of it. :roll:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Alrik Vas wrote:You wield 1 weapon, you attack with it. You can still make auto-parries.

You wield 2 weapons, you attack with both. Suddenly you can't make auto-parries.

Oh, but you can still dodge, and if you have an ability that lets you dodge without using an action, it's assumed you can use that as well.

Sure because everyone knows that the reason you can still parry after attacking with a single weapon is because:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

Then why are you smiling?

Inigo: Because I know something you don't know.

Dread Pirate Roberts:

And what is that?

Inigo: I am not left-handed.

Dread Pirate Roberts:

You're amazing!

Inigo: I ought to be after twenty years.

Dread Pirate Roberts:

There is something I ought to tell you.

Inigo: Tell me.

Dread Pirate Roberts:

I'm not left-handed either.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Alrik Vas wrote:You wield 1 weapon, you attack with it. You can still make auto-parries.

Which IMO is why they put the simultaneous in there.

In my way of interpreting it if you use both your weapons to attack your attacker while he is attacking (AKA a dual "simultaneous" attack) Then yes you do lose the ability to parry against that incoming attack... but he also cannot parry (unless he had 2 weapons or a shield and did not attack with both weapons).

If you attack one person with both of your weapons or 2 people with one weapon each you retain your parry (unless they simul you) but they can defend with parries as well.

The real advantage with 2 weapon in my opinion is that you can parry with one weapon AND simultaneously attack with the other. This way you don't automatically accept the hit but the person you attack simultaneously cannot parry... unless they have an off hand weapon (or shield) also.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Alrik Vas
Knight

I more or less run it that way myself, but the rules themselves belong in free form poetry night.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

This.

The only advantage to Paired Weapons by the write up is that if you dual strike a single target they cannot defend and you automatically do damage of a single attack OR you can attempt to strike two targets (though IIRC you do so at a penalty for the second target).

I can Attack and Parry with a single weapon.

I can Parry more than one attack with a single weapon.

In fact there is no where in the rules that limits how many times you can Parry at all EXCEPT if dual attacking using Paired Weapons.

Hell the use of the term of "Automatic Parry" is odd as well since the only game (meaning "current" in use editions as older editions are superceded by newer ones) I can think of that differentiates between Parry and Automatic Parry is Ninjas and Superspies who's combat system is significantly different enough from the standard of the games as to not be completely relevant.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:Sure because everyone knows that the reason you can still parry after attacking with a single weapon is because:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

And what is that?

Dread Pirate Roberts:

You're amazing!

Dread Pirate Roberts:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

That is Ambidexterity (nat. or trained).
Nature is in the Lonestar book and it takes two allowing rolls.
Trained is in R18 in the after section of the Go Mental article.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Sure because everyone knows that the reason you can still parry after attacking with a single weapon is because:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

And what is that?

Dread Pirate Roberts:

You're amazing!

Dread Pirate Roberts:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

:roll: Seriously... Stop being serious :P
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:

This.

The only advantage to Paired Weapons by the write up is that if you dual strike a single target they cannot defend and you automatically do damage of a single attack OR you can attempt to strike two targets (though IIRC you do so at a penalty for the second target).

In fact there is no where in the rules that limits how many times you can Parry at all EXCEPT if dual attacking using Paired Weapons.

Hell the use of the term of "Automatic Parry" is odd as well since the only game (meaning "current" in use editions as older editions are superceded by newer ones) I can think of that differentiates between Parry and Automatic Parry is Ninjas and Superspies who's combat system is significantly different enough from the standard of the games as to not be completely relevant.

No. Untrained HtH does not get auto parry.

Single weapon:
Attack
Parry
Simultaneous Attack (no chance of Parry)

Dual Weapon:
Attack and attack
Parry paired weapon attack
Attack and parry
Simultaneous attack (THIS hand couldn't then also parry) and parry
Simultaneous attack and simultaneous attack (no chance of parry)
Alrik Vas
Knight

It's not talking about Simultaneous Attack, it's taking about hitting with both weapons at once. If it's your normal action, by the sense of fighting with 1 weapon, you should still have automatic parry. Yet the rules seem to disagree, which is the complaint.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

And what is that?

Dread Pirate Roberts:

You're amazing!

Dread Pirate Roberts:

Dread Pirate Roberts:

:roll: Seriously... Stop being serious :P

*gets out the rubber chicken and bops ZK* :clown:
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
jaymz wrote:

This.

Single weapon:
Attack
Parry

Dual Weapon:
Attack and attack
Attack and parry

Yes and untrained person cannot parry for free yet in the case of rifts the use of the term automatic parry is still odd as THAT is explained under "parry" not automatic parry. (Its a copy paste issue from another game no doubt)

Also in teh VAST majority of cases characters HAVE HTH so it is largely a moot point

Furthermore as I pointed out the only REAL advantages to paired weapons is dual strike and strike two targets at once.

I can attack and parry with a single weapon if I have HTH. I am not limited in any way as to how often I can freely parry.

For the essentially automatic hit on a dual strike the damage to likely be dealt is not enough to make it a worth while tactic if it means losing the ability to freely parry the next set of attacks against you. Attacking two targets while possible is also not worth the loss of that free parry as those you attack get to freely parry (an attack that IIRC you are given penalties to strike for since you are attacking two people at once) and then can attack you forcing you to use an attack to defend yourself against each and every attack leveled at you until your turn comes around again. Hardly an advantage at all really.

Never mind that there are countless examples of paired weapon use in movies, television, and written word that never has someone using two weapons impaired ins such a way while fighting (attacking and defending) against multiple opponents the way this skill does.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
SittingBull
Hero

Moral of the story, w.p. paired weapons is best used with automatic dodge.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Alrik Vas
Knight

That's a terrible moral, though. In finding a.meta-solution, you don't fix the problem, but only create a semi-exclusive work around that makes no sense.

If you can effortlessly dodge and effortlessly parry, except when attacking with 2 weapons you lose parry, how does it make rules sense that you can automatic dodge?

The logical thing would be that if both are automatic, they remain so regardless of conditions because they don't interfere with your action.

I understand that's not the rule, but still...You can over explain how it could work, yet the explanation will be circumstantial, which isn't a basis for for ground rules.

SittingBull
Hero

Its the moral of most players I have ever played with, I never abused it like they did though.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Alrik Vas
Knight

Well, abuse is subjective. After having done quite a bit of GMing lately, I don't find keeping automatic parry while using a dual strike to be unbalanced. Nor do I find automatic dodge while using dual pistols unbalanced.

My group doesn't always have someone with auto-dodge, but it has happened enough and though some weapons like phase pistols or phase swords can make it very powerful, it isn't like they're casting 2 spells in a single action or anything.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Paired weapons (How I would do it)

Allows for a dual strike
Allows for the two targets at once
Parry with a free counter attack (WP bonuses only)

THAT is hte point to paired wepaons

The disadvantage?

You have to take paired weapons for the types of weapons you wish to use.

In fantasy you want to use long sword and short sword (ala wakizashi)? Better have wp long sowrd and wp short sword as well as paired weapons while specifyng the combination.

Just becaus eyou can use a long sword paired with a short does not mean you can use a pair of fighting sticks and vice versa.

\m/
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

My groups have always played it similar to jaymz.

The big advantage of paired weapons was the Automatic (Free) Parry with one weapon and the simultaneous attack with the other, which unless the opponent also had paired weapons was essentially guarantee your attack would hit while you are keeping your normal defenses.

We also interpreted the rule as you needed to take WP paired weapons for each combination of weapons you wished to use (unless/until you got the skill for free within a HTH combat skill, i.e. Martial Arts at level 7 then it was good for all 1-handed weapons you had a WP for).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

jaymz wrote:snip...
Parry with a free counter attack (WP bonuses only)

...snip

Good idea for a house rule and I see you stated the N&S rules about how paired weapons work.

However, this would fall under the Attack and parry option of paired weapons as a parry and simultaneous attack, but costing an APM.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Thus why i specified a "free" counterattack (with only WP bonuses, or even no bonuses) that would not cost you an attack to do.

Not as effective as an actual simultaneous attack but allows for you to adjust as you go much better. Also something we see regularly in most cinematic scenes where paired weapons may be in use against multiple opponents.

\m/
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
jaymz wrote:

This.

Single weapon:
Attack
Parry

Dual Weapon:
Attack and attack
Attack and parry

Yes and untrained person cannot parry for free yet in the case of rifts the use of the term automatic parry is still odd as THAT is explained under "parry" not automatic parry. (Its a copy paste issue from another game no doubt)

Also in teh VAST majority of cases characters HAVE HTH so it is largely a moot point

Furthermore as I pointed out the only REAL advantages to paired weapons is dual strike and strike two targets at once.

I can attack and parry with a single weapon if I have HTH. I am not limited in any way as to how often I can freely parry.

For the essentially automatic hit on a dual strike the damage to likely be dealt is not enough to make it a worth while tactic if it means losing the ability to freely parry the next set of attacks against you. Attacking two targets while possible is also not worth the loss of that free parry as those you attack get to freely parry (an attack that IIRC you are given penalties to strike for since you are attacking two people at once) and then can attack you forcing you to use an attack to defend yourself against each and every attack leveled at you until your turn comes around again. Hardly an advantage at all really.

Never mind that there are countless examples of paired weapon use in movies, television, and written word that never has someone using two weapons impaired ins such a way while fighting (attacking and defending) against multiple opponents the way this skill does.

Only dual strike and strike two targets at once? You don't think a major advantage is simultaneous attack on a single weapon user while you get to still parry his attack? For some reason I really think that is better than the other two. Being able to automatically strike a person while still defending against their weapon.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

You get the same "advantage" from a the duel strike as you would while "simultaneous" attacking. Again not much of an advantage to me. Not for a full skill slot.

I am happy to agree to disagree about it *shrugs*

\m/
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Don't forget the fact that there are a lot of things that provide Paired Weapons for free....
Which means that if you have any of those H2Hs, Ambidexterity, etc....you don't have to spend the slot to get these options.
Which makes this a lot better since it is basically just 'if you do have two weapons here is what you can do with it'

H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Alrik Vas wrote:That's a terrible moral, though. In finding a.meta-solution, you don't fix the problem, but only create a semi-exclusive work around that makes no sense.

If you can effortlessly dodge and effortlessly parry, except when attacking with 2 weapons you lose parry, how does it make rules sense that you can automatic dodge?

The logical thing would be that if both are automatic, they remain so regardless of conditions because they don't interfere with your action.

I understand that's not the rule, but still...You can over explain how it could work, yet the explanation will be circumstantial, which isn't a basis for for ground rules.

My guess to PB's thinking on twin attacks is that thrusting/swinging/striking with two weapons at the same time throws the body more out-of-whack than a single strike, leaving the main body more or less defenseless against a counter-strike.

That's the only thing I can think of.........

.........but yeah, otherwise I get what you're saying (from both a logical and rules perspective).
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

SittingBull wrote:Moral of the story, w.p. paired weapons is best used with automatic dodge.

The only downside to this is that the average character's bonus to auto-dodge will be LESS than their bonus to parry!

Meaning that the char's ability to parry an attack is usually fairly substantial, while their bonus to auto-dodge is.........umm........dodgy.
SittingBull
Hero

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:
SittingBull wrote:Moral of the story, w.p. paired weapons is best used with automatic dodge.

The only downside to this is that the average character's bonus to auto-dodge will be LESS than their bonus to parry!

Meaning that the char's ability to parry an attack is usually fairly substantial, while their bonus to auto-dodge is.........umm........dodgy.

Every GM I have gamed with, that I have had exceptional PP on the character, and had auto-dodge also allowed the bonus from exceptional PP to add to your auto-dodge bonus. I can see your point also though, completely. No argument there.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

SittingBull wrote:
H.P. Hovercraft wrote:

Every GM I have gamed with, that I have had exceptional PP on the character, and had auto-dodge also allowed the bonus from exceptional PP to add to your auto-dodge bonus. I can see your point also though, completely. No argument there.

That is because that is how it works....
The rules are pretty clear that PP bonus is one of the things that does apply to Auto-Dodge. But since that same bonus would also apply to parry its still zero-sum. Even if you had a +6 bonus from PP, your parry would go up by 6 too....meaning that since your would still have more parry bonuses than auto-dodge bonuses your parry would be the better defense usually.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually in MD settings that autododge has some good things going for it because of the limits of parry's.
mainly, that parrying MD attacks results in the item being used to parry taking damage
and the fact that energy blasts and other MD ranged attacks cannot be parried.

so while you might be able to parry better than you can dodge.. but parrying is less useful outside of SDC combat, while dodge and autododge is useful in both SDC and MDC combat.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Except ranged md attacks can in fact be parried. Recheck rue on that. Its just very difficult to do (unless you are a ck then its only a -3)

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

jaymz wrote:Except ranged md attacks can in fact be parried. Recheck rue on that. Its just very difficult to do (unless you are a ck then its only a -3)

this comes from RUE. pg346, where the parry is covered. last sentence in their paragraph. "Energy blasts and bullets cannot (as a rule) be parried!"

so technically even SDC attacks of this type can't be either, but since in rifts most people have MDC armor of some type, they not usually a concern.

so any class that gets a parry vs bullets and energy blasts in their writ up is a rare exception superseding the normal rule
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”