Feeding Time

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Feeding Time

Unread post by Swift-13 »

If a Splicers character had, say, chemistry or even genetics, do you think they should be able to synthesize the nutrient bath needed to feed their bio-tech gear? I can understand it being a controlled resource in the Splicers setting, with the materials being a pain to find out there, but I'm planning on sending a Splicer to Rifts Earth. I'm wondering if it would be easy or difficult to make (without raiding Lone Star for Bradford's chemistry set).
Remember who you wanted to be.
flatline
Knight

Re: Feeding Time

Unread post by flatline »

Swift-13 wrote:If a Splicers character had, say, chemistry or even genetics, do you think they should be able to synthesize the nutrient bath needed to feed their bio-tech gear? I can understand it being a controlled resource in the Splicers setting, with the materials being a pain to find out there, but I'm planning on sending a Splicer to Rifts Earth. I'm wondering if it would be easy or difficult to make (without raiding Lone Star for Bradford's chemistry set).

If your GM agrees, you might use the Sustain spell to preserve the host armor.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Whatever your GM allows.

Personally, I wouldn't allow it, but then again, I view Splicers as a dimensionally isolated setting.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

The Galactus Kid wrote:Whatever your GM allows.

Personally, I wouldn't allow it, but then again, I view Splicers as a dimensionally isolated setting.

In my opinion, while bringing Rifts characters to Splicers would be a bit off for the setting (such as tech in a world that is anathema to it), I think a Splicers character would be just fine as something unique on Rifts Earth. Even if, through some means, they lost the Nanite Plague, I'd have the character bear an almost religious fear of touching metal/technology. :)
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Swift-13 wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Whatever your GM allows.

In my opinion, while bringing Rifts characters to Splicers would be a bit off for the setting (such as tech in a world that is anathema to it), I think a Splicers character would be just fine as something unique on Rifts Earth. Even if, through some means, they lost the Nanite Plague, I'd have the character bear an almost religious fear of touching metal/technology. :)

I could see that. I'm just a purist for the setting, so there is no way for the Splicers to get to RIFTS Earth. Splicers is it's own game and setting, so while it is part of the Megaversal system, I'm personally not a fan of the cross pollination.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Swift-13 wrote:If a Splicers character had, say, chemistry or even genetics, do you think they should be able to synthesize the nutrient bath needed to feed their bio-tech gear? I can understand it being a controlled resource in the Splicers setting, with the materials being a pain to find out there, but I'm planning on sending a Splicer to Rifts Earth. I'm wondering if it would be easy or difficult to make (without raiding Lone Star for Bradford's chemistry set).

I too, view Splicers best as its own dimensional setting, but I can also understand the appeal of bringing Splicers to the Rifts Earth setting. Please understand, I've only entertained this with serious thought to help get Splicers more exposure as a whole, because the complete setting of Splicers simply offers certain dynamics that other settings just don't have as a whole.

With that being said, if you plan to import a Splicers character(s) into Rifts Earth and your Gm is going to allow it, then you should carefully consider how this is going to be conducted and how this is going to affect your character in both the short-term and long term.

For example, sustaining your Host Armor is one thing, but how do you have your HA adapt and grow in modifications without the aid of an Engineer? Does this stunt the growth of your Character's prowess and Armor's evolution or is this fair game balancing and requires some considerable pre-planning, because your about to be stuck with what you have created for a long... time?

Does your Character or cast begin to exhibit or is allowed to have assess to magic and or psionics?

All things worth considering.

As to how to pull it off, Here area few suggestions:

A. Mysterious Orbital arrival - Have your character(s) plunge into the ocean on a frozen meteorite. You or the fellow cast begin to thaw from some form of Biopods that belonged to a Star Seedling ship. You were one of the few of a small fleet hat were able to devise successful space faring seedlings that managed to survive and escape the satellite net barrage attacks of N.E.X.U.S. Your leadership suggested that sustained flight would be conducted by a skeletal crew and the rest of you would be placed into stasis to reserve resources. Now you are waking up, not knowing what went wrong or where you have arrived, but all your fears of metal are pure and no one will convince you otherwise, even with the nanobot plague reaction wearing off, you are convinced its a NEXUS trap.

Perhaps their are more survivors of your House on this new world, perhaps remnants of the seedling are also in the ocean. There certainly seems to be some possible remnants or suspects who might know about it, eyes Lemurians & Splugorth. Is NEXUS in pursuit?

B. Some strange alien force has arrived on your planet and either rescued or kidnapped some of your kind before being driven offworld by NEXUS forces. Now you are either a survivor or a slave and have landed on RIFTS Earth and escaped or have joined forces with these aliens or usurped their power and seek to thrive here on this new hostile world.

To have something provide the nutrient fluids, you can have your character have some form of prototype Warmount that secrets just enough to sustain you, but in return it must be protected, rested and well nourished, thus you two have a symbiotic relationship. This is a prototype concept because its not feasible for a Great House to create something that can only sustain one being as opposed to a small society to help build a Resistance force. Perhaps you and this special Warmount are crash landed explorers that are supposed to report back to your Splicers colony world what you find.

None the less, enjoy and let that Splice flow.....
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

I'm fine with the way Splicers is all on its own; the last thing it needs it to bring in supernatural forces or the Minion War. That would be like dropping a Glitter Boy (armor and all) into Beyond the Supernatural. Besides, Humans in Splicers have a lot of problems as it is (and its just perfect that way). As far as Rifts Earth, it makes the perfect dumping ground for just about any random thing the GM can cook up. If a Dreadguard or a Biotic found their way through a rift (or whatever), it'd have to be a one-way trip.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I don't think chemistry alone, even advanced, would be enough for this. You'd at least need biology and genetics too, I think. The compounds it has could be very advanced and hard to replicate.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Splicers®”