Treatment of Disabled/Handicapped

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZulkirJhor
D-Bee

Treatment of Disabled/Handicapped

Unread post by ZulkirJhor »

The Houses are living on very little resources and taking care of someone who is blind, lost a leg in battle or otherwise unable to handicapped would use up more. How do you think most houses deal with this? I would imagine most houses strive to hold onto their humanity and would not just use them as biomatter... so that leaves three options I can see with a forth option for warriors.

Take care of them as needed, tweak them genetically to get rid of the handicap (this uses resources, but should benefit the house in the longrun), turn them into Biotics (I would imagine this is not the best option) or, if they are a warrior already, tweak their armor to compensate for their loss.

I imagine those would be the options for people that gain handicaps later in life (via battle, ratbomb, etc)... if born with a handicap, I imagine that most of the time they train the person for a class that its not an issue for; Blind, train them as a Falconer. Leglass, train them as an Outrider. etc

Thoughts?
vaporsight
D-Bee

Re: Treatment of Disabled/Handicapped

Unread post by vaporsight »

I think it could greatly vary from House to House. Some probably do everything they can to help those with handicaps, and I see various bits of tweaking of the genome done via librarians. Careful breeding to help minimize the presence of flaws. Warriors who are handicapped in battle, are probably provided resources such that they and attempt to continue to function. Especially Dreadguard whom, from the way I read it, benefit from the higher end regeneration while within the suit.

Sadly, other houses would see such people as burdens and flaws, and potentially see these people as nothing more than biomass for the genepools. Again, it's up to how you see your house, and how you want it to fit in your game.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Morality aside a trained combatant is far more valuable then just as raw biological material. Survivability has been a key consideration in combat aircraft and vehicle designed because in mass warfare you will lose vehicles (which can sometimes be repaired) faster then you can train crews to replace them.

Resistance fighters would have priority for biological replacement limbs or biotic systems.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

The MB does talk about growing new limbs and organs in the Gene-Pools for those that have been lost .... so those that have lost a foot, arm, eye etc. can have a new one grown and grafted on by the Engineer.

As for those born with physical deformities... This would definitely occur in Retro-Villages. However, I would think that many a House would have checks in place to analyze the development during pregnancy, and if any defect was detected, then certain paths would be taken.
connecting the dots
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I don't have my book, but I seem to recall that if your host armor can regenerate a limb, the pilot's limb will also regenerate as long as the pilot stays inside the armor until it's healed.

Can someone back that up?
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

flatline wrote:I don't have my book, but I seem to recall that if your host armor can regenerate a limb, the pilot's limb will also regenerate as long as the pilot stays inside the armor until it's healed.

Can someone back that up?

Yes, if the HA has Regeneration: Superior .... if a limb is lost, then the pilot will grow another if they stay inside the HA.

If not, the Engineer can grow another one
connecting the dots
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Regrow? Yawn! I want a giant muscled biotic arm with a frickin bio laser in the palm.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Before birth: regular check ups with necessary genetic modification to remove harmful traits.

After birth: Depending on level of importance to Haven, could be regular limb equivalent to specialized limb for job or dreadguard level minor augmentation that makes body more desirable and efficient.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I don't know if losing a leg would be enough for them to throw you out. Sure, they can't make metal prosthetics, but a wooden leg is a classic that could see a return.

If you look to the Xiticix in Rifts, they're probably even more brutal about efficiency and sacrificing for the hivemind, and even there, they will make resin peg legs so their warriors can remain fighting. Too many resources have gone into raising them to just throw them away, I figure. I would think this even stronger a consideration in Splicers.

Something that affects sensory perceptions could be a whole other matter though. I expect you would be given opportunities to learn new skills so that you can remain active. Perhaps given a test run with Living Armor with sensory enhancements which could compensate for your blindness?

Something that made you mentally handicapped to the point where you couldn't do much of anything useful though, yeah I can see you being put out to die to save on resources.

krispy wrote:The MB does talk about growing new limbs and organs in the Gene-Pools for those that have been lost .... so those that have lost a foot, arm, eye etc. can have a new one grown and grafted on by the Engineer.

The Kittani would be impressed.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

What about mental handicaps/disabilities?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

abe wrote:What about mental handicaps/disabilities?

I'd like to believe society technologically advanced enough to make living armor a man can wear through genetic engineering would be able to genetically engineer healthy humans.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

you'd think so, but the setting suggests otherwise.

the mentally handicapped are explicitly noted as being quite likely to be turned into biotics.

as i've noted elsewhere, it seems like for whatever reason the biotech they have access to is good at physical modifications, but doesn't seem to be so good at mental modifications (apart from *decreasing mental stability, considering the biotics they make pretty much all have some form of mental illness or another).
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I think they could fix any physical impairment. Mental illness most likely would become biotic in extreme cases, but mild mental illness would mostly be ignored.
Shark_Force
Palladin

boxee wrote:I think they could fix any physical impairment. Mental illness most likely would become biotic in extreme cases, but mild mental illness would mostly be ignored.

i'd say that likely depends on the mental illness in general. based on the fact that biotics are quite likely to have both a severe phobia *and* a bunch of other problems, unless your phobia is particularly inconvenient in terms of what triggers it, i'd say they're likely to completely ignore it provided you are contributing in some way no matter how severe it is.

i figure many things that we consider to be mental illness they'll probably just ignore.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

A apropriate phobia would be mechaphobia or fear of machines,yes?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Shark_Force
Palladin

sure, makes a lot of sense, really. it's probably a lot more common than it is today; there's a pretty danged legitimate reason to fear machines, after all, and i would expect there are lots more events that could lead to developing an irrational fear of machines (as opposed to the above-mentioned rational fear of machines).
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I would like to see something like a grizzled warrior, having lost his hand & forearm in some long-ago battle, having an HA/bio-borg replacement that looks not-quite human.......

"Master Krev, why do you have.....*that*?"
"I lost my hand and arm many seasons ago, when our House volunteered to take down the Sentry Tower that enabled our House to vacate those Machine-infested lands to safety. We lost many fine warriors, but their sacrifice, and *this*, remind us that we must survive."
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

It seems like from the new write ups of engineers any mental illness or physical disability could be cured by engineers if they had time. It then becomes a question of does that house have enough engineers to allow them to spend time treating the mentally ill/physically disabled that takes time away from doing other things in the house.
Shark_Force
Palladin

the new engineer writeup explicitly says they can't fix mental problems, actually.

a librarian actually might be able to, theoretically (practically speaking, they all tend to be a bit nuts, and aren't likely to care enough to take the time to put someone's mind straight even if their own mental issues didn't get in the way).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

In reading the new write ups I don't see any mention about being unable to fix mental issues. Also given their ability to fix any genetic/body defect and given that many mental illnesses stem from some kind of imbalance/defect/defficiency given many of them are hereditary that alone should make engineers capable of curing most mental illness simply by negating the ones with more physical causes.
Shark_Force
Palladin

kaid wrote:In reading the new write ups I don't see any mention about being unable to fix mental issues. Also given their ability to fix any genetic/body defect and given that many mental illnesses stem from some kind of imbalance/defect/defficiency given many of them are hereditary that alone should make engineers capable of curing most mental illness simply by negating the ones with more physical causes.

from ability 3 (last line before ability 4):

"It is important to note that the Engineer can only cure physical wounds, not mental illness or insanity."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Shark_Force wrote:
kaid wrote:In reading the new write ups I don't see any mention about being unable to fix mental issues. Also given their ability to fix any genetic/body defect and given that many mental illnesses stem from some kind of imbalance/defect/defficiency given many of them are hereditary that alone should make engineers capable of curing most mental illness simply by negating the ones with more physical causes.

from ability 3 (last line before ability 4):

"It is important to note that the Engineer can only cure physical wounds, not mental illness or insanity."

Ah I did not see that although given how much mental illness is hereditary or caused by some physical defect/body chemistry imbalance and their ability to manipulate genes and the body I would suspect there would be only a limited amount of mental illness they could not actually fix.

Things like phobias/PTSD would not be curable but a lot of other stuff I suspect would although again it may be one of those things in a ravaged world they simply don't have time needed to do that much fine tuning on somebody.

Return to “Splicers®”