Which Coalition Power Armors Do You Use?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which PAs would you use?

PA-100 Mauler
6%
PA-200 Terror Trooper
4%
PA-300 Glitter Boy Killer
6%
PA-06A SAMAS (old style)
29%
PA-07A Light Assault SAMAS
2%
PA-08A Special Forces Strike SAMAS
35%
PA-09A Super SAMAS
18%

Total votes: 51

Kagashi
Champion

Which Coalition Power Armors Do You Use?

Unread post by Kagashi »

Looking to see the most used CS power armor out of the Rifts WB11 CWC book that you would be most likely to use as a player.

I am just looking for your initial answer based off of what you would think you would want when you make a character. Not looking to see which power armor everybody thinks is better over the next one considering random factors (terrain, environment, opponent, etc...)
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Eashamahel
Hero

Re: Which Coalition Power Armors Do You Use?

Unread post by Eashamahel »

I voted Striker, which to me is the true 'Super' SAMAS, as it makes a heck of a lot more sense in every way.

Honestly, I would have chosen old-style SAMAS, but I somehow didn't notice it when i first voted, assuming it was made up entirely of new models.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

old style
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Toss up between the Super-Sam and the old style.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

I like the Mauler... especially when you install a skellbot brain to control the plasma cannons.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Never needed anything more than old-style SAMAS, IIRC.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I wish there was a version for the FQ version. The Violator was simply awesome, but as there wasn't' I went with Light Assault. I like the look and the agility and what not. I love the mauler, but if I absolutely had to choose, being able to fly edges out by a small bit.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
kirnos
D-Bee

Unread post by kirnos »

Special Forces SAMAS, just because I really like the Coalition SF, and the SAMAS has a lot of missiles :P
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

The Super-SAMUS it's just too good.

500 mph and over 400 MDC and stylish.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I prefer the Glitter Boy Killer myself. High MDC, different array of weapons, extra set of weapon arms.

Too much goodness.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

This was a really tough choice. I love the GB killer for it's weapon versatility. I love the old school SAMAS because of nostalgia, the Super SAMAS is a hard to argue with based off of stats and I've always had a soft spot for the Terror Trooper's missile rifle.

THough in the end, the one that combines most of these traits is the Striker SAMAS. So i went with that.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
FluffyHK
D-Bee

Unread post by FluffyHK »

The Striker by far. Perfect blend of old and new.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Striker.

Personally I think the job of the Super (Which seems to be air interception) is better handled is much better handled by a Sky Cycle or a dedicated aircraft ala Nightwing.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Eashamahel
Hero

The job of the Super Samas is to look cool and fight things like it's Wolverine with grenade launchers.

The job of the GB Killer is to point out rules holes and art inconsistencies.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

None unless im CS. Aint worth the 5 0 hasslin me.

In the CS i like classic SAMAS. Easy to repair and replace. Solid engines and combat systems.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A modified PA-200. Mods being to remove the CS'ness of the styling.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

I should say that given the choice I will always take a flying SAMAS over a grounded version. The extra mobility is well worth the sacrifice in armor. The Super SAMAS can go a little faster and quite a bit higher than the others, that makes both assaults and escapes a great deal easier.

Oh, and its thrusters are very good for underwater use as well.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:A modified PA-200. Mods being to remove the CS'ness of the styling.

I guess that makes sense. CA power armor tends to have better systems and speed than similarly sized units from NG or other independent manufacturers.
Eashamahel
Hero

Shorty Lickens wrote:I should say that given the choice I will always take a flying SAMAS over a grounded version. The extra mobility is well worth the sacrifice in armor. The Super SAMAS can go a little faster and quite a bit higher than the others, that makes both assaults and escapes a great deal easier.

Oh, and its thrusters are very good for underwater use as well.

I actually forget exactly, but I am fairly certain the Super can go much faster than the others?

I was a big fan of the Smiling Jack for awhile, likely because I liked the Flying Titan so much when I first started playing (and still do). It's very comparable to the Original SAMAS in stats, just with the extra missiles.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If I can't import the flying glitter boy from NGR then I guess I'd go with the Super SAM. While even the original SAMAS is best, I see little reason to go for it when you can have something better, if we're talking about a prime choice for survival purposes.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

For your convenience in SAMAS comparision, a couple of articles I made in my Rifts blog:

- About SAMAS hystory.
- And SAMAS comparision charts.

(As always, click on the upper-right button for an automatic google translation).
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Tor wrote:If I can't import the flying glitter boy from NGR then I guess I'd go with the Super SAM. While even the original SAMAS is best, I see little reason to go for it when you can have something better, if we're talking about a prime choice for survival purposes.

Apart from the higher MDC, id call the Striker more survivable any day of the week simply due to its superior mix of armaments and smaller size. The Super SAM's suicidally short ranged armaments (considering its assigned role) make it a total non-starter for me.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

For playing: PA-09A Super SAMAS (my vote).

For how it looks: PA-06A SAMAS (old style).
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The Strike is great for 1 on 1 but I don't know if I'll have access to missile re-loading, the Super's unlimited energy weapons would be better for sustained combat.

Basically the strat would be to just fire at your missile volleys until you ran out, then close range.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shorty Lickens
Hero

Tor wrote:The Strike is great for 1 on 1 but I don't know if I'll have access to missile re-loading, the Super's unlimited energy weapons would be better for sustained combat.

Basically the strat would be to just fire at your missile volleys until you ran out, then close range.

Every battle I've been in was solved long before I could unload all my missiles. The problem is refilling them after the fight. You need to find a seller, pay a ridiculous fee, and hope they have the type you want.
Most jobs your team pulls wont cover the inordinate costs. Thats why plasma and particle beams are more popular.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Shorty Lickens wrote:
Tor wrote:The Strike is great for 1 on 1 but I don't know if I'll have access to missile re-loading, the Super's unlimited energy weapons would be better for sustained combat.

Every battle I've been in was solved long before I could unload all my missiles. The problem is refilling them after the fight. You need to find a seller, pay a ridiculous fee, and hope they have the type you want.
Most jobs your team pulls wont cover the inordinate costs. Thats why plasma and particle beams are more popular.

These are CS Power Armors and for the CS I don´t think the "missile cost" is an issue (at this level). So, IMHO, you should separate if you are using them as a Merc (expensive) or as a CS RPA (free).
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).

Return to “Rifts®”