Society of Sages

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Society of Sages

Unread post by JTwig »

Has anyone else noticed the difference between how the Society was first described in World Book 10, and how it has been described in later books. I'm not talking about membership numbers or influence, but its goals and outlooks. In World Books 10 it is described as only really hating dragons, and it makes no mention of human supremacy (and even has several non-humans listed as members). The only place human supremacy is mention is in the description of Cagliostro Smith, who is very pro-human, but it also says that he is only middle management; the type of guy that would work as a contact and handler for PCs. It isn't until later books that suddenly the entire organization is pro-human and Cagliostro Smith is described as it founder and leader.

While I can see him eventually raising to a leadership position (he is rather powerful) in later books, I don't see how he could suddenly become the Society's founder! I love Palladium Books, and Rifts in particular, but this is just another case of writers not really knowning or double checking what they are writing about (see it all the time with the Federation of Magic book, and the city-state of Dweomer). It is also futher evidence that Palladium's game lines, especially Rifts, have become to big not to have dedicated editors overseeing each line like a traditional publisher.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Re: Society of Sages

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Or, at the very least, a writers bible and an internal Wiki that prospective writers can access to check facts.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

While I don't dispute the need, PB only has 5 or 6 members of In-House staff right now.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Mack wrote:While I don't dispute the need, PB only has 5 or 6 members of In-House staff right now.

I know. I shouldn't be so harsh, I should just be happy the are still around. It's just that I see what it could be, and worry they won't be here when my son's are old enough to play. I've been a fan since 1988, up to a few years ago I still had a copy TMNT that looked like it was printed on a typewriter and had the skills broken down by College, High School, and I believe Street. Palladium is like an old talented friend that you love, but they never lived up to there potential, and still lives with his parent in your hometown. :cry:
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Mack wrote:While I don't dispute the need, PB only has 5 or 6 members of In-House staff right now.

At this point, there is only one way to "fix" everything: RIFTS 2nd Edition and you begin anew (making more o less obsolete the old material). I don´t think they have the manpower to even try that, and then you have the Fans: I am not sure that the majority wants a reboot.

Personally, I would love a RIFTS 2nd Edition SUPER REBOOT, fixing EVERYTHING and re-releasing the books with a new format (full color interior!), etc. (for example: only one Vampire Kingdoms book with everything, only one TRIAX with everything, etc.). Fewer but most complete books about a topic. Just a dream...
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Even the bare-bones writers bible + internal wiki would be a godsend; it would allow freelancers to check their own work against canon. I'd imagine that the manuscripts would need a lot less re-writing if that kind of info were available. It shouldn't take more than a single person to get that up and going, as long as a reasonable time-frame is given.

I'm all for a 2nd Edition with cleaned up rules (as they are, the game is nearly unplayable without extensive house-ruling and you cant even make a character following the rules in RUE) but that seems like a pipe dream at this point. Kevin would have to think/understand that the rules are other than perfect, and it is quite clear to anyone who has heard him pontificate on the subject that he feels they are fine.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.

Return to “Rifts®”