Cassandra Priestess of Light

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Cassandra Priestess of Light

Unread post by JTwig »

I was re-reading the book Island at the Edge of the World the other day, and noticed an off-handed comment about the meddling priestess Cassandra. I then remembered that she was also mentioned in the book Adventures on the High Seas as the founder of the matriarchal society on Lemaria. Now the founding of that society happened over 500 years ago according to the Palladium colander and the island's capitol has a statue as a memorial to her, implying that she is no longer with them (whether dead, vanished, or just moved on is never stated).

Now the comment about her meddling is made by Archie, a 500+ year old elf who might have known her in his youth, but it’s in response to modern meddling; implying she is still alive and active.

Does anyone know of any other books she is mentioned in? I've looked in all the obvious places such as Dragons & Gods and the Western Empire books, so if someone could point me in the direction of any further mentioning of her I would appreciated it.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Cassandra Priestess of Light

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

What's page on Island book pls?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

The Dark Elf wrote:What's page on Island book pls?

Island at the Edge of the World, page 123, first paragraph in the right-hand column.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Ah. I think Archie was a player perhaps and he may have played in the lemuria adventure (?)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

The Dark Elf wrote:Ah. I think Archie was a player perhaps and he may have played in the lemuria adventure (?)

Either that or the same writer. The only problem is that she is not actually in the Lemuria adventure, she is only included in the kingdom's background. The two mentions make it sound like she is a "mover-and-shaker" in the Palladium Fantasy setting, so I was hoping she was mentioned in other books.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Here first appearance was in Adventures on the High Seas 1st edition, which when made into
2nd edition is relatively unchanged in its writting (save for additions of P.P.E and S.D.C). So
Cassandra isn't mentioned at all In any other books, and the island of Lemuria isn't known to
other places in the world. However, the fact Archie knows here means he's been there. That
doesn't surprise me as he is one of the most powerful N.P.C.s around.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Reagren Wright wrote:Here first appearance was in Adventures on the High Seas 1st edition, which when made into
2nd edition is relatively unchanged in its writting (save for additions of P.P.E and S.D.C). So
Cassandra isn't mentioned at all In any other books, and the island of Lemuria isn't known to
other places in the world. However, the fact Archie knows here means he's been there. That
doesn't surprise me as he is one of the most powerful N.P.C.s around.

While that makes sense there is one small problem, from the description in Island she is no longer alive. First clue is that Lemuria was founded 500 years ago, and she is human. Clue two is that there is statue memorial for her in the city of Cassandra.

Of course Archie being nearly 600 years old means that he could have known her, but not that she could be alive to teleport him and the PCs to the awaiting ship. Of course this is assuming she is a normal human. For all we know she could be a demi-god, or could have been granted longevity by Isis and Thor.

In fact I think I might stat her out as a human promoted to a demi-god by Isis for her devotion to the her and the light. She would make an excellent NPC and go between for the gods and their mortal followers.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. While we don't have a name, we do know that Kevin's wife (at the time), Maryann, played a Priestess of Light in one campaign (though referred to as "priest," the term "she" and "her" are used which tell us the character was female). The story told in PF2 also connects her to Isis. Lots of adventuring and traveling. Don't know if there's any connection, but just thought to throw that piece of info out there too.

Now, in AotHS2, page 54 (right near the bottom), it mentions Cassandra died 400 years ago.

Both books involved Kevin as a writer, with Wujcik (AotHS) and Bartold (IotEotW). I'm not sure about Erick, but Thom was a member of Kevin's group (nigh positive). Since we know Erick was a good friend, it at least stands to reason they at least have a similar understanding of their adventures.

Possible something happened like Erick thought it would be a fun idea to include Cassandra into the backstory of this island. Then Thom came along and included a reference to something that came from their games, creating a conflict of names. My personal suspicion is this though ...

High Priestess Cassandra and follower of Isis founds the island of Lemaria. Great leader (fanatical, but still great) and dies. She's fondly remembered. A city is named after her as well as a memorial. 400 years later (more or less) a new child is born. Either she's named Cassandra out of respect (just like people naming their babies after famous people today), possibly even a descendant and following in her great great great whatever grandmother's footsteps, or she becomes a High Priestess of Isis and is given Cassandra as an honorary title (kind of like "The Pope" isn't really the guy's name). I'm leaning towards the former (named after the original), but threw in the latter just for more ideas. Either way I'd suspect the new Cassandra comes from Lemaria. Note: I can totally see a player thinking to make a Priestess of Isis, and then hearing about (or remembering) some adventure on Lemaria (possible a player even creating the whole island as part of a backstory! But that's not as common in my experience, unless I'm the player) with the Priestess of Isis named Cassandra. Boom! Inspiration. Take the name and you're trying to live up to the legacy, and you have yourself a character.

Of course, I have no proof on any of this, just a few book passages that give little detail, and this is my attempt to piece those bits of info together into a coherent story. Not sure if it's accurate, but hopefully at least entertaining. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Looks like the best you can do as a replacement is the 10th level priestess who the high priestess
of Isis and current ruler of Lamaria (44), but she isn't given a name. However, the other priestess
who run the Church of Isis (28) name if Fendra (right next door) is also 10th level and aberrant
in alignment.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Why would someone named "Prophet of Doom" (Cassandra) be a Priestess of Light?
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Because she's the one that comes and tells you the volcano is going to blow so leave your villages
or
A plague is going to wipe out %90 of the population in the area.
Just a standard case of shoot the messenger (Call her the prophet of doom) because the people who didn't leave blame her for what happens.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Vrykolas2k wrote:Why would someone named "Prophet of Doom" (Cassandra) be a Priestess of Light?

Ha! Good question. It was most likely given to her by her enemies or someone who didn't like her prophecies.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”