Enchanted and TW Flintlock Firearms

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Enchanted and TW Flintlock Firearms

Unread post by JTwig »

Here are some notes and stats I created for magical flintlock firearms for use in my games, which I thought some people might enjoy. As a house rule I enjoy allowing flintlock firearms to be the most advanced subjects of the 15th level Enchant Weapons spell (mostly because I like the image of an acient weapon being used effectively along side of power armor and robots). I also use my own rules for for rate of fire when using flinklock and similar musket-style weapon in my game, which will be noted under each weapon's rate of fire entry. I hope you enjoy, and I hope someone can make use of it.

Enchanted Flintlock Firearms Though far from popular, flintlocks (and other black powder firearms) are not altogether uncommon on Rifts Earth; especially in the more remote regions. Conventional flintlocks are an effective hunting weapon that can be made in even the smallest village by a skilled blacksmith and wood carver. Many Techno-Wizards also enjoy the look and style of the firearms, and often use them as their starting foundation when building a weapon. They are also the most advanced weapon that can be the target of the 15th level Enchant Weapon spell (see Rifts: Book of Magic, page 152). Outside of Dweomer, Tolkeen, and Lazlo, one of the few places to purchase an Enchanted Flintlock firearm is in the free-city of Queenston Harbor. In fact the Nuhr Dwarves of Queenston are considered the finest craftsmen of enchanted and non-enchanted flintlock firearms in all of North America.

Enchanted Flintlock Rifle (standard)The standard flintlock rifle possessed a smoothbore, a short barrel (averaged around 30 inches), and was usually chambered to fire large ball between .45 and .50 caliber.
Weight:
Damage: 1d4x10-1d6x10 M.D.
Range: 100 feet (characters with W.P. Flintlock Rifle at fifth level or higher can increase this range to 200 feet).
Rate of Fire: Varies; requires one melee action to fire, and three to reload (for a total of four melee actions).
Payload: Single shot.
Market Cost: 35,000 credits

Enchanted American Longrifle (also known as the Kentucky Longrifle)The American Longrifle (Kentucky Longrifle) possessed a rifled barrel, which increased accuracy but slowed down reloading. Based off of designs brought to the Colonies by German immigrants, American gunsmiths added a longer barrel for increased accuracy. The longer barrel also would allow more of the powder to cook-off, increasing the ball’s velocity; important since they were usually chambered for small calibers (common were .32 and .40 caliber) than their smoothbore cousins.
Weight:
Damage: 6d6-1d4x10 M.D.
Range: 300 feet (characters with W.P. Flintlock Rifle at fifth level or higher can increase this range to 600 feet).
Rate of Fire: Varies; requires one melee action to fire, and four to reload (for a total of five melee actions).
Bonuses: +1 Strike.
Market Cost: 42,000 credits.

Enchanted Flintlock Pistol
Weight:
Damage: 4d6-6d6 M.D.
Range: 40 feet (smoothbore) or 60 feet (rifled)
Rate of Fire: Varies; requires one melee action to fire, and two to reload (for a total of three melee actions). A rifled pistol takes one additional action to reload.
Market Cost: 16,000 credits

Enchanted Two-Pound GunThis large smoothbore gun, or small cannon depending upon your outlook, is usually swivel mounted and put into a permanent emplacement. Though capable of causing tremendous damage, it’s incredibly slow rate of fire, short range, and vulnerability to the weather have caused them not to have the popularity that a casual observer might expect. This is the largest black powder firearm that can be enchanted.
Weight:
Damage: 2d4x10 M.D. for a solid ball, or 1d6x10 M.D. to a cone with shot.
Range: 500 feet for the ball, and 100 feet for the shot.
Rate of Fire: Varies; requires one melee action to fire, and six to reload (for a total of seven melee actions). These melee actions may be split between two individuals, but only between those who have trained extensively together.
Market Cost: 53,000 credits

TW Telekinetic Flintlock Weapons There are actually two different types of TW Telekinetic Flintlock weapons, one that uses telekinesis to project a “ball” at incredible speeds and a more traditional one that fires a bolt of telekinetic energy. Both are relatively simple Techno-Wizard designs, and are widely available from TW arms dealers/manufacturers.

TW Telekinetic Bolt Flintlock Rifle
Weight:
Damage: 2d4 M.D. per bolt
Range: 1400 feet
Rate of Fire: Equal to the users number of attacks per melee.
Payload: Single shot, requires 3 P.P.E. to “reload”.
Market Cost: 28,000 credits

TW Telekinetic Bolt Flintlock Pistol
Weight:
Damage: 1d6 M.D. per bolt
Range: 800 feet
Rate of Fire: Equal to the users number of attacks per melee.
Payload: Single shot, requires 2 P.P.E. to “reload”
Market Cost: 9,000 credits

TW Telekinetic Ball Flintlock Rifle
Weight:
Damage: 2d6 M.D. per shot
Range: 1000 feet
Rate of Fire: Once every other melee action; firing requires only a single melee action, but reload and recharging with P.P.E. requires and additional melee action.
Payload: Single shot, requires 3 P.P.E. to recharge.
Market Cost: 32,000 credits.

TW Telekinetic Ball Flintlock Pistol
Weight:
Damage: 2d4 M.D.
Range: 500 feet
Rate of Fire: Once every other melee action; firing requires only a single melee action, but reload and recharging with P.P.E. requires and additional melee action.
Payload: Single shot, requires 2 P.P.E. to recharge.
Market Cost: 11,000 credits.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Enchanted and TW Flintlock Firearms

Unread post by taalismn »

Fun stuff. You also look at some of the multi-barrel anti-boarding rifles and 'duck foot' multi-barrel pistols.
Last edited by taalismn on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I have to wonder why these have higher damage and lower payload than the TW-flintlocks listed in CS navey. The also look like they have top end damage for TW weapons. Normaly damage for a type of TW weapon is not varible a TW laser always does 2d6 MD regaurdless who makes it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

ooh could even have ones owned by famous people in this. Such as Captain Edward Teach's Flintlock and give it some sort of bonus. something like its a Rune Flint lock..

taalismn wrote:Fun stuff. You also look at some of the multi-barrel anti-boarding rifles and 'duck foot' multi-barrel pistols.

Hey Taalisman, I triple Dog Boy dare you to start a legendary Flintlock thread...:P
Last edited by Rimmerdal on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Blue_Lion wrote:I have to wonder why these have higher damage and lower payload than the TW-flintlocks listed in CS navey. The also look like they have top end damage for TW weapons. Normaly damage for a type of TW weapon is not varible a TW laser always does 2d6 MD regaurdless who makes it.

The actual enchanted flintlocks follow the rules for the spell Enchanted Weapons (see Rifts Book of Magic, level 15 spells), which doubles the weapon's normal S.D.C. damage and makes it M.D. In my games I allow flintlocks, but not other firearms, to be directly enchanted. Normally the spell can only enchant ammo for firearms, and not the weapon itself. This makes their damage impressive, but it is made up for by their very short range and extremely poor rate of fire.

The actual TW flintlocks are TK weapons, and line-up very well with respect to damage and range to other already printed TK weapons. The TW flintlocks in source boook 4, CS Navy shoot fire balls and are not telekinesis based, making thier damage different.

The TW Telekinetic Ball Flint Lock, unlike normal TK weapons, uses Telekinesis to launch a projectile (instead of firing a bolt of TK "force"). I based it off of the cannons that can be found on some of the ship in source book 4 CS Navy, and really had no other frame of reference (that I know of) to work with.

Plus, while most TW weapons follow a pattern (a TK rifle almost always does 2d4 M.D. with a single shot) not all of them do, and you can sometimes see a wide variation in their damage and range.

I'm not sure where you are seeing "top end damage" for techno-wizard weapon. While all the weapons I posted were magical, not all of them were techno-wizardry in origin.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

JTwig wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:I have to wonder why these have higher damage and lower payload than the TW-flintlocks listed in CS navey. The also look like they have top end damage for TW weapons. Normaly damage for a type of TW weapon is not varible a TW laser always does 2d6 MD regaurdless who makes it.

The actual enchanted flintlocks follow the rules for the spell Enchanted Weapons (see Rifts Book of Magic, level 15 spells), which doubles the weapon's normal S.D.C. damage and makes it M.D. In my games I allow flintlocks, but not other firearms, to be directly enchanted. Normally the spell can only enchant ammo for firearms, and not the weapon itself. This makes their damage impressive, but it is made up for by their very short range and extremely poor rate of fire.

The actual TW flintlocks are TK weapons, and line-up very well with respect to damage and range to other already printed TK weapons. The TW flintlocks in source boook 4, CS Navy shoot fire balls and are not telekinesis based, making thier damage different.

The TW Telekinetic Ball Flint Lock, unlike normal TK weapons, uses Telekinesis to launch a projectile (instead of firing a bolt of TK "force"). I based it off of the cannons that can be found on some of the ship in source book 4 CS Navy, and really had no other frame of reference (that I know of) to work with.

Plus, while most TW weapons follow a pattern (a TK rifle almost always does 2d4 M.D. with a single shot) not all of them do, and you can sometimes see a wide variation in their damage and range.

I'm not sure where you are seeing "top end damage" for techno-wizard weapon. While all the weapons I posted were magical, not all of them were techno-wizardry in origin.

Acutaly your enchanted flintlocks are not done acording to the spell enchant weapon. For perjetile weapons it is the perjetile not the base weapon that is enchanted. A enchanted flintlock firing a normal bullet would do SDC. Flintlocks are still a technolgy based weapon as it has several moving parts and a chemical reaction and should not be aclibal. The damage for a enchanted bullet could applie but is 2d6 MD reguardless of caliber would be the damage they could do with this spell.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Acutaly your enchanted flintlocks are not done acording to the spell enchant weapon. For perjetile weapons it is the perjetile not the base weapon that is enchanted. A enchanted flintlock firing a normal bullet would do SDC. Flintlocks are still a technolgy based weapon as it has several moving parts and a chemical reaction and should not be aclibal. The damage for a enchanted bullet could applie but is 2d6 MD reguardless of caliber would be the damage they could do with this spell.

I understand that Blue Lion, which is why I stated repeatedly that in my games I allow flintlocks to be the target of this spell because even though their damage will be impressive, it is balanced by thier extremely slow rate of fire and poor range.

Such as here:

As a house rule I enjoy allowing flintlock firearms to be the most advanced subjects of the 15th level Enchant Weapons spell (mostly because I like the image of an acient weapon being used effectively along side of power armor and robots).

and here:
I allow flintlocks, but not other firearms, to be directly enchanted. Normally the spell can only enchant ammo for firearms, and not the weapon itself. This makes their damage impressive, but it is made up for by their very short range and extremely poor rate of fire.

I understand that it does not follow the rules exactly, and thus some will have no use for it. I posted this topic for those who would like to add a certian flare or style to their game, and maybe spark their imagination. Its not going to be to everyones taste, and I'm okay with that.

I also understand that while you looked at my post, you didn't really take your time to read them. I made it really clear in both post that the flintlocks were based off of a house rule, what that house rule was, and that not all of the flintlocks were techno-wizard creations.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Looking over them I have to say I like them, though I can see the downsides with those reloading times, but they do add a nice bit of flair to an army or group equipped with them. I think I've read Last of the Mohicans to much because now I really want to get a Kentucky Longrifle for my character. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Looking over them I have to say I like them, though I can see the downsides with those reloading times, but they do add a nice bit of flair to an army or group equipped with them. I think I've read Last of the Mohicans to much because now I really want to get a Kentucky Longrifle for my character. ;)

Daniel Stoker

Thats funny, when I had first began thinking about about this concept I had just finished re-watching the Last of the Mohicans movie with Daniel Day Lewis, and the Patriot with Mel Gibson a few days before that.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

While the least 'accurate' version to the book I do love that movie.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

@JTwing
Did you consider the OTHER examples of TW/Magic Flintlock weapons:
-Rifts Japan pg37 TW Fire-Breathing Arquebus
-Rifts South America 1 pg91-2

If I am following correctly, these Flintlock Weapons of yours still require manual reloading of power and ball? Which seems at ends to other TW examples of Flintlock that have the ability to fire multiple shots from a single charge. What you really have is not so much enchanted guns (for damage, strength is another matter), but rather enchanted ammunition.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

ShadowLogan wrote:@JTwing
Did you consider the OTHER examples of TW/Magic Flintlock weapons:
-Rifts Japan pg37 TW Fire-Breathing Arquebus
-Rifts South America 1 pg91-2

If I am following correctly, these Flintlock Weapons of yours still require manual reloading of power and ball? Which seems at ends to other TW examples of Flintlock that have the ability to fire multiple shots from a single charge. What you really have is not so much enchanted guns (for damage, strength is another matter), but rather enchanted ammunition.

I forgot about the True Atlantean manufactured one in South America, but I did look at the one in Japan. I like my Rifts to have a cinematic gritty feel to it, and was trying to create TW and enchanted firearms that stayed true to the defining characteristics of a flintlock and musket while still remaining plausible and fun.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

:cough: Rifter #46 :cough:
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Braden Campbell wrote::cough: Rifter #46 :cough:

Way to be subtle! :-D
I haven't purchased a Ritter in a few year, but might have to check that one out.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

So would you allow a magic Cannon or siege weapon?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Rimmerdal wrote:So would you allow a magic Cannon or siege weapon?

In my games the two-pound gun is the largest that the current level 15 spell can enchant, but I'm not closed off thier being a Spell of Legend version capable of enchanting something like a cannon (or smaller, modern firearms). Of course such a spell would be extremely rare, and prehaps to expensive in terms of both temp. and perm. PPE cost to use.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Interesting, I am glad to see somebody has interest in the subject and this is a great start. But I think your damages and ranges for the enchanted weapons are way off. Please by no means think I am trying to take anything away from your work. This is a topic of great interest to me. Of course what I am about to say can simply be waved off by "its magic", but alas, here I go.

For damage, I'd determine the number of dice rolled by taking the caliber of each weapon and dividing by 10. Thus a .45 caliber ball, like a typical American Rifle would do 4D6. A .69 caliber ball like the British Brown Bess would do 6D6. That is all simply due to the mass of the round. Obviously the TK versions would fall under different rules.

For range, you have rifles listed at a mere 100 feet, which unless its part of the enchantment process which I do not understand, is WAY too low for a rifle. Understand where I come from on this, a *rifle* is a weapon which has grooves running down the barrel which twist on the way down. This causes the bullet to spin, which greatly increases range and accuracy (imagine throwing a football vs a basket ball). Rifles should have an effective range of 350-400 yards. The American or Kentucky Rifle would be an example of a rifle. Rifles generally were smaller calibers.

Now, those large caliber *muskets* (the term used for a long arm black powder weapon which has no rifling...a smoothbore barrel), would be in the ranges you describe. Rarely would a musket score a lethal blow past 75 meters. An example would be a Brown Bess (British) or Charletteville (French) musket.

Rifles of the "Mohicans" and "The Patriot" periods were much harder to reload than muskets because in order to take advantage of the rifling, the ball being rammed down the barrel had to fit tightly against the grooves and had to literally be pounded down by force. Muskets on the other hand, the ball usually was smaller than the width of the barrel and was much easier to reload as the ball simply rolled down the barrel on most occasions and required little force to ram home. This is why large armies still used smoothbore muskets even up to the beginning of the American Civil War, because they were easier to use, had a faster rate of fire, and were much cheaper to produce to arm mass amounts of troops.

It wasnt until the invention of the conically shaped Minie Ball used heavily in the American Civil War did muskets lose the advantage over the easy of loading. The Minie Ball was slightly smaller than the rifle's barrel and could slide down the barrel easier than a tight fitting round ball. But when the charge went off, the base of the round would expand, gripping the grooves. So now you have a weapon that is easy to load, had ranges of about 400 meters, and with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, mass rifles could be produced to create armies larger than anybody had ever seen in the world. All armed with rifles.

Ive also never liked the whole "takes an entire melee to reload" when it comes to muzzle loaders in PB. I mean, I can create a 1st level dude with like 10 attacks per melee and he reloads at the same speed as a dude with 4 attacks per melee? Laaaamme. The standard in the American Civil War was 3 aimed shots a minute, which if broken down does indeed come down to about a 15 second period, however, these guys were "trained" in a very short amount of time (hardly level 2 by the time they saw action). Somebody like a Rifts character who runs around with a WP Flintlock style skill should be able to fire at a much higher rate as there are many different techniques out there to do so. Ive seen a master flintlock reloader fire 7 rounds a minute, and hit the target at 75 meters every time. He obviously did not take "the entire melee round" to reload. Roloading should be broken down by attacks per melee. The more experienced a person is, the more attacks he/she will have, thus the quicker he/she will reload the weapon. If a typical person in Rifts starts with 4 attacks per melee, I say, that is how many attacks a musket takes to reload. Five for a Colonial era rifle. Drop back down to 4 if the weapon uses Minie balls.

And we have not even gotten to Percussion Cap ignited muskets/rifles yet. :P The only real difference is, the percussion cap was way more reliable than the flintlock ignition system. It was more weather proof and fouling was not as much of a problem. Id say a natural roll of a 1-3 would cause the flintlock to misfire (just a shower of sparks or just the pan would flash). With a percussion cap, that would be reduced to only a roll of 1. An example of a common Percussion Cap ignited, muzzle loading, minie ball using, rifle would be the 1855 Springfield Rifle Musket (rifle musket is yet another term which describes a weapon which is musket length ["three bands"] but still had rifling vs a shorter Rifle ["2 bands"]). The disadvantage of percussion is, if you dont have caps, you cant shoot the gun. This is why flintlocks were still popular in the west well after the American Civil War. It was easier to find a piece of flint than track down caps out in the wilderness.

Terms:
Carbine: a short version of the standard weapon (typically "1 band") usually reserved for Calvary or Artillery units who do not require the same range as Infantry.
Musket: a "standard" length weapon which is smoothbore (typically "3 band"). Usually issued to Infantry troops en mass. Comes equipped with a bayonet to fend off Calvary charges or hand to hand combat with other infantry. Historical example: Brown Bess
Rifle: a shorter length weapon than a musket (typically "2 band"). Shorter than a musket to accommodate for less barrel to have to ram the round ball down. Historical example: Baker Rifle
Rifle-Musket: Really a true rifle as it has rifling, but at the length of a musket. (Typically "3 band"). Rifle Muskets pretty much replaced both Rifles and Muskets by the time of the American Civil War. Historical example: Enfield Rifle Musket

Rifling: twisted grooves which cause the bullet to spin, increasing range and accuracy. Historical example: Enfield Rifle Musket
Smoothbore: No grooves. Historical example: Brown Bess

Flintlock: An ignition system which ignites a pan of black powder using a piece of flint on a lock, striking a length of steel, which in turn ignites the main charge. Historical Example: Baker Rifle or Brown Bess Musket
Percussion: An ignition system which a hammer strike a metallic cap which ignites the main charge. Historical Example: Enfield Rifle Musket.

Round Ball: Literally a round ball of lead. Historical Example: Brown Bess Musket
Minie Ball: Generic term for a conically shaped bullet used for Rifles and Rifle Muskets to decrease loading times (the true Minie was for the Minie Rifle, but the term stuck for all conically shaped bullets). Historical Example: Enfield Rifle
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Nice work JT :ok:

*adds to the list of stuff he needs to archive from here in case of internet death of some kind*
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Kagashi wrote:Interesting, I am glad to see somebody has interest in the subject and this is a great start. But I think your damages and ranges for the enchanted weapons are way off. Please by no means think I am trying to take anything away from your work. This is a topic of great interest to me. Of course what I am about to say can simply be waved off by "its magic", but alas, here I go.

For damage, I'd determine the number of dice rolled by taking the caliber of each weapon and dividing by 10. Thus a .45 caliber ball, like a typical American Rifle would do 4D6. A .69 caliber ball like the British Brown Bess would do 6D6. That is all simply due to the mass of the round. Obviously the TK versions would fall under different rules.

For range, you have rifles listed at a mere 100 feet, which unless its part of the enchantment process which I do not understand, is WAY too low for a rifle. Understand where I come from on this, a *rifle* is a weapon which has grooves running down the barrel which twist on the way down. This causes the bullet to spin, which greatly increases range and accuracy (imagine throwing a football vs a basket ball). Rifles should have an effective range of 350-400 yards. The American or Kentucky Rifle would be an example of a rifle. Rifles generally were smaller calibers.

Now, those large caliber *muskets* (the term used for a long arm black powder weapon which has no rifling...a smoothbore barrel), would be in the ranges you describe. Rarely would a musket score a lethal blow past 75 meters. An example would be a Brown Bess (British) or Charletteville (French) musket.

Rifles of the "Mohicans" and "The Patriot" periods were much harder to reload than muskets because in order to take advantage of the rifling, the ball being rammed down the barrel had to fit tightly against the grooves and had to literally be pounded down by force. Muskets on the other hand, the ball usually was smaller than the width of the barrel and was much easier to reload as the ball simply rolled down the barrel on most occasions and required little force to ram home. This is why large armies still used smoothbore muskets even up to the beginning of the American Civil War, because they were easier to use, had a faster rate of fire, and were much cheaper to produce to arm mass amounts of troops.

It wasnt until the invention of the conically shaped Minie Ball used heavily in the American Civil War did muskets lose the advantage over the easy of loading. The Minie Ball was slightly smaller than the rifle's barrel and could slide down the barrel easier than a tight fitting round ball. But when the charge went off, the base of the round would expand, gripping the grooves. So now you have a weapon that is easy to load, had ranges of about 400 meters, and with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, mass rifles could be produced to create armies larger than anybody had ever seen in the world. All armed with rifles.

Ive also never liked the whole "takes an entire melee to reload" when it comes to muzzle loaders in PB. I mean, I can create a 1st level dude with like 10 attacks per melee and he reloads at the same speed as a dude with 4 attacks per melee? Laaaamme. The standard in the American Civil War was 3 aimed shots a minute, which if broken down does indeed come down to about a 15 second period, however, these guys were "trained" in a very short amount of time (hardly level 2 by the time they saw action). Somebody like a Rifts character who runs around with a WP Flintlock style skill should be able to fire at a much higher rate as there are many different techniques out there to do so. Ive seen a master flintlock reloader fire 7 rounds a minute, and hit the target at 75 meters every time. He obviously did not take "the entire melee round" to reload. Roloading should be broken down by attacks per melee. The more experienced a person is, the more attacks he/she will have, thus the quicker he/she will reload the weapon. If a typical person in Rifts starts with 4 attacks per melee, I say, that is how many attacks a musket takes to reload. Five for a Colonial era rifle. Drop back down to 4 if the weapon uses Minie balls.

And we have not even gotten to Percussion Cap ignited muskets/rifles yet. :P The only real difference is, the percussion cap was way more reliable than the flintlock ignition system. It was more weather proof and fouling was not as much of a problem. Id say a natural roll of a 1-3 would cause the flintlock to misfire (just a shower of sparks or just the pan would flash). With a percussion cap, that would be reduced to only a roll of 1. An example of a common Percussion Cap ignited, muzzle loading, minie ball using, rifle would be the 1855 Springfield Rifle Musket (rifle musket is yet another term which describes a weapon which is musket length ["three bands"] but still had rifling vs a shorter Rifle ["2 bands"]). The disadvantage of percussion is, if you dont have caps, you cant shoot the gun. This is why flintlocks were still popular in the west well after the American Civil War. It was easier to find a piece of flint than track down caps out in the wilderness.

Terms:
Carbine: a short version of the standard weapon (typically "1 band") usually reserved for Calvary or Artillery units who do not require the same range as Infantry.
Musket: a "standard" length weapon which is smoothbore (typically "3 band"). Usually issued to Infantry troops en mass. Comes equipped with a bayonet to fend off Calvary charges or hand to hand combat with other infantry. Historical example: Brown Bess
Rifle: a shorter length weapon than a musket (typically "2 band"). Shorter than a musket to accommodate for less barrel to have to ram the round ball down. Historical example: Baker Rifle
Rifle-Musket: Really a true rifle as it has rifling, but at the length of a musket. (Typically "3 band"). Rifle Muskets pretty much replaced both Rifles and Muskets by the time of the American Civil War. Historical example: Enfield Rifle Musket

Rifling: twisted grooves which cause the bullet to spin, increasing range and accuracy. Historical example: Enfield Rifle Musket
Smoothbore: No grooves. Historical example: Brown Bess

Flintlock: An ignition system which ignites a pan of black powder using a piece of flint on a lock, striking a length of steel, which in turn ignites the main charge. Historical Example: Baker Rifle or Brown Bess Musket
Percussion: An ignition system which a hammer strike a metallic cap which ignites the main charge. Historical Example: Enfield Rifle Musket.

Round Ball: Literally a round ball of lead. Historical Example: Brown Bess Musket
Minie Ball: Generic term for a conically shaped bullet used for Rifles and Rifle Muskets to decrease loading times (the true Minie was for the Minie Rifle, but the term stuck for all conically shaped bullets). Historical Example: Enfield Rifle

I took a lot of my stats from stuff already printed by Palladium books, most notably the black-powder weapons found in Trans-Dimensional Turtles (from the now defunct TMNT and Other Strangeness line). The rest I took from books and to my shame Wikipedia. My real knowledge house is in not in black-powder firearms, but in modern firearms (I'm an avid "shooter").

Return to “Rifts®”