Just curious of most of you GMs... (regarding dodge limits)

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Re: Just curious of most of you GMs... (regarding dodge lim

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

personally i try to stay clear of this. both as a player and gm. it can cause issues quickly.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Personally, I stay clear of this as well.

It certainly makes sense to house rule *something* because the rules as written are pretty much incomplete. Palladium rules say each character takes turns until one runs out of attacks and the other can just unload. The system works *okay* until you run into a player who has a significant amount of attacks over the opponent. So if a character with 4 attacks is fighting a character with 8 attacks, the character with 4 attacks suddenly stops reacting 7.5 seconds into every 15 second period. Heck, the entire megaverse stops reacting to what they were doing every 7.5 seconds as long as their is a character that exists with 8 attacks. That does not sound very realistic.

Example: Bob = 4 attacks, Mark = 8 attacks. Bob will win initiative in all my examples.

Turn order would be:
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark

One approach to fixing this is what you propose, allowing a character to borrow attacks from the next round. but then if you think about it, it really takes away from the entire purpose of having more attacks than the next guy. Plus, you have to regulate it somehow. You cannot just let him use up his whole next round of attacks. Perhaps only one can be "borrowed" each round. Perhaps the following round, he has to pay 2 to make up for the one borrowed attack, or the following round is fought at -1 to strike, parry, dodge for every attack borrowed the round prior. Something. The Character with the lesser number of attacks is SUPPOSED to be at a disadvantage. So using the above example, Bob could use one of his four attacks of his NEXT melee round to counter the FIVE unopposed attacks Mark gets to level at him, but I would throw in a penalty for the second melee round for Bob of -1 s/p/d...AND he only has 3 attacks vs Marks EIGHT in round 2.

Another approach is a bit more complicated. When I ran this system, I used a chart to help me visualize. But I broke down each player in combat by the number of attacks in a 15 second period. Each attack would take up longer or shorter periods of time within each melee round. So going back to the 4 vs 8 attacks, the guy with 8 attacks would get to react to the outcome of the combat twice for every time the guy with 4 attacks would get to react.

Bob
Mark
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark

This approach is more realistic, but can become quite cumbersome with more characters in the combat or numbers of attacks that do not divide evenly like the example above. But there would be no need for borrowing attacks as Bob now spreads his attacks evenly in the 15 second period.

Personally, lately, I have been leading to abandoning the number of attacks all together for a third approach. I propose every character, regardless of H2H training, OCC, RCC, or whatever, gets 5 APM. Period. Then take the number of attacks Palladium says the character should have and apply a +1 to s/p/d (or all combat rolls...doesnt matter as long as everybody in the megaverse is doing it) for every attack that character should have.

(EDIT: Perhaps a bonus to Init would be more warranted. Bonuses to strike would mean under the current Palladium rules, nobody would ever miss a shot/strike).

This way, each attack is a nice even 3 seconds of combat game time and there is no need to borrow attacks for less experienced people. There are no charts to have to maintain, simplifying the issue for the GM. And more experienced characters will still have an advantage over less experienced characters.

Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark

I think this would ALSO resolve the misconceptions I see people having about the concept of simultaneous attack.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

IMO, the ability to 'bank' attacks doesn't make much sense.. not only in terms of in setting time but also in terms of book keeping.

i generally ignore it. though now that i think of it, it might be worth trying out something like "you can continue to dodge for free, but at a -4 penalty" or something like that. give them the option, but make it less attractive an option (thus letting autododge remain a valued option)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

the "banking" thing works (sort of) but only if you keep in mind that it puts Bob completely on the defensive. (burning next melees actions means no attack options for Bob).
but it does seem off some how...
I get where the concept is coming from but as a combat mechanic it is aesthetically displeasing.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

Kagashi wrote:Personally, I stay clear of this as well.

It certainly makes sense to house rule *something* because the rules as written are pretty much incomplete. Palladium rules say each character takes turns until one runs out of attacks and the other can just unload. The system works *okay* until you run into a player who has a significant amount of attacks over the opponent. So if a character with 4 attacks is fighting a character with 8 attacks, the character with 4 attacks suddenly stops reacting 7.5 seconds into every 15 second period. Heck, the entire megaverse stops reacting to what they were doing every 7.5 seconds as long as their is a character that exists with 8 attacks. That does not sound very realistic.

Example: Bob = 4 attacks, Mark = 8 attacks. Bob will win initiative in all my examples.

Turn order would be:
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark

One approach to fixing this is what you propose, allowing a character to borrow attacks from the next round. but then if you think about it, it really takes away from the entire purpose of having more attacks than the next guy. Plus, you have to regulate it somehow. You cannot just let him use up his whole next round of attacks. Perhaps only one can be "borrowed" each round. Perhaps the following round, he has to pay 2 to make up for the one borrowed attack, or the following round is fought at -1 to strike, parry, dodge for every attack borrowed the round prior. Something. The Character with the lesser number of attacks is SUPPOSED to be at a disadvantage. So using the above example, Bob could use one of his four attacks of his NEXT melee round to counter the FIVE unopposed attacks Mark gets to level at him, but I would throw in a penalty for the second melee round for Bob of -1 s/p/d...AND he only has 3 attacks vs Marks EIGHT in round 2.

Another approach is a bit more complicated. When I ran this system, I used a chart to help me visualize. But I broke down each player in combat by the number of attacks in a 15 second period. Each attack would take up longer or shorter periods of time within each melee round. So going back to the 4 vs 8 attacks, the guy with 8 attacks would get to react to the outcome of the combat twice for every time the guy with 4 attacks would get to react.

Bob
Mark
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark
Bob
Mark
Mark

This approach is more realistic, but can become quite cumbersome with more characters in the combat or numbers of attacks that do not divide evenly like the example above. But there would be no need for borrowing attacks as Bob now spreads his attacks evenly in the 15 second period.

Personally, lately, I have been leading to abandoning the number of attacks all together for a third approach. I propose every character, regardless of H2H training, OCC, RCC, or whatever, gets 5 APM. Period. Then take the number of attacks Palladium says the character should have and apply a +1 to s/p/d (or all combat rolls...doesnt matter as long as everybody in the megaverse is doing it) for every attack that character should have.

(EDIT: Perhaps a bonus to Init would be more warranted. Bonuses to strike would mean under the current Palladium rules, nobody would ever miss a shot/strike).

This way, each attack is a nice even 3 seconds of combat game time and there is no need to borrow attacks for less experienced people. There are no charts to have to maintain, simplifying the issue for the GM. And more experienced characters will still have an advantage over less experienced characters.

Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark
Bob
Mark

I think this would ALSO resolve the misconceptions I see people having about the concept of simultaneous attack.

Oh man that is a great idea. I have been thinking of how to make the combat less cumbersome/time consuming. I might even trim it down to 4 actions and have the PC's get their extra attacks as an init/stat bonus. Thanks!
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Never let them borrow attacks to dodge. It's a weak idea and only encourages players to act foolishly. They'd be better served by planning a little more, having some decent SOP in place and acting accordingly when **** hits the fan. that way they take cover and concentrate fire rather than just dodge-dodge-dodge like whoa.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I ditch attacks per melee entirely. Everyone gets one action per round, each round is 1 second long, and some actions take multiple rounds to complete.

Also, instead of rolling to dodge, if you choose to dodge, the difficulty of all attacks made against you that round is increased.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

flatline wrote:I ditch attacks per melee entirely. Everyone gets one action per round, each round is 1 second long, and some actions take multiple rounds to complete.

Also, instead of rolling to dodge, if you choose to dodge, the difficulty of all attacks made against you that round is increased.

--flatline

I keep seeing you post this, and i doubt you would play it that way if it didn't work for you (so i won't ask "how's that work for you?" :P)...but uh...how's that work? :D Like, specifically. You can PM me if you don't want to muck-up this thread.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

the banking attacks is a no go in my games. I like the mor skilled fighters having the extra. I have seen this over the years of martial arts training. so it made sence to me. but i cannot stop time and borrow skill from the future. so i dont allow that.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

glitterboy2098 wrote:IMO, the ability to 'bank' attacks doesn't make much sense.. not only in terms of in setting time but also in terms of book keeping.

i generally ignore it. though now that i think of it, it might be worth trying out something like "you can continue to dodge for free, but at a -4 penalty" or something like that. give them the option, but make it less attractive an option (thus letting autododge remain a valued option)

Interesting. Perhaps everybody gets the ability to autododge, just at -4, unless you have bonuses that say otherwise. Of course, the player can always opt to do a traditional dodge and take advantage of all the regular bonuses. I like this.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Murdock_SE wrote:Just curious if most of you GMs allow for the ruling that if the opponent wants to continue dodging when they run out of "attacks", they can "bank" them by using attacks from the following round. That is not something that was allowed in 1st edition if memory serves. The one question I have as a result, do you LIMIT that to only the attacks of that following round and ONLY that following round's worth, or do you continue to allow them basically unlimited dodges (as long as it keeps eating up "attacks" for the future). Yes, naive question. Please excuse it. : )

We don't "bank". If you dodge, that is you next action for the melee round (15sec) period. If you need to dodge another attack, you're out of luck. (Though Evasive Action Piloting Maneuver could be interpreted to show that if you dodge one attack other attacks on you are very difficult while that Dodge is happening IMHO)

Under 1E flying mecha had an advantage in the form of the Tilt-Dodge piloting maneuver, as it was half-way between a regular dodge and an auto-leap dodge because it left one at penalty to strike (cumulative) w/o sacrificing an attack action. 2E really doesn't have the special piloting maneuvers listed like it did in 1E/M2 IIRC, but there is no reason they wouldn't still be in play (may have to get them from another PB line like N&SS or HU).
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

flatline wrote:I ditch attacks per melee entirely. Everyone gets one action per round, each round is 1 second long, and some actions take multiple rounds to complete.

--flatline

See I was also looking at something like this. Very much like classic D&D.

Interesting to hear all the variations you guys have.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I go with something similar to what Kagashi and flatline do. I break the melee into 3 second bits and divide the APM by 5 to get how many actions they get in that 3 seconds. I use whole numbers so 1 to 9 APM in 15 seconds gives them 1 action, 10 to 14 APM gives them 2 actions, 15 to 19 APM they get 3, etc. It really cuts down on the time combat takes and it has had the effect of players really shying away from making multi-APM characters so they focus more on skills for role playing than combat.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I also do something similar to Kagashi. Based on situation though:

Play by Post, I break it up to 3 5 Second Phases. Everyone's attacks are spread evenly across all 3 phases.
Table top Play: I break it up to 5, 3 Second Phases. Everyone's attacks are spread evenly across all 5 phases (making sure that everyone has an attack in phase 1.

Both work well, I do a shorter amount of Phases in Play by Post, mainly to make the writing a bit easier as a GM.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Tiree wrote:I also do something similar to Kagashi. Based on situation though:

Play by Post, I break it up to 3 5 Second Phases. Everyone's attacks are spread evenly across all 3 phases.
Table top Play: I break it up to 5, 3 Second Phases. Everyone's attacks are spread evenly across all 5 phases (making sure that everyone has an attack in phase 1.

Both work well, I do a shorter amount of Phases in Play by Post, mainly to make the writing a bit easier as a GM.

the 5 phase works but I have found Players prefer the 3 phase at the table (has to do with the illusion of advancement I think...)
YMMV however.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

My group likes the 5 phases better, as it is a bit more granular than the 3 phase. It also let's them figure out their attacks when they do two action things (ie aimed shot, power punch).
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Tiree wrote:My group likes the 5 phases better, as it is a bit more granular than the 3 phase. It also let's them figure out their attacks when they do two action things (ie aimed shot, power punch).

Like I said YMMV...
I have tested both methods (with three different variations for each all characters tested at levels 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15) and the votes (100 testers polled) were overwhelmingly for a 3 phase front loaded melee. Predominant reason given was they felt their characters showed advancement more with the 3 phase than the 5 (yeah I know its complete hogwash its the same progression either way but one "looks" like it advances faster).
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

My groups always divided our attacks over three phases. You can use up all of your actions in the phase, or you could hold one for a dodge or roll during that phase. That dodge lasted until your next action. If you used up all of your actions in attacks, you didn't get a dodge (unless you have autododge [which always has a lower bonus than a regular dodge]) and were hit. If you banked an action and didn't end up using it for a dodge or roll, you lost it.

One thing we did do a little differently was that if you banked 2 actions (for a possible dodge and then a roll) and your first dodge roll was a really low number, you had the option of using your last remaining action to roll another dodge number against your next incoming attack. Of course, if the dice are rolling against you, even an 8 is better than a 5.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I run the melee round like normal, but i don't allow dodge banking, like i said before, because it breaks the game when given liberal interpretation.

I just keep a sheet of paper with the initiative order written down on it. Everytime someone takes an action (including a dodge, entangle or roll with impact) they get a tally mark, when they've met their max attacks for the round they're out of luck...er...actions. Makes it easy to keep track of what's going on. Also i allow characters to move their SPD attribute in feet as part of an action (but they take the normal -3 to actions for moving if they do so), or double if all they do is move. When i do it like that, it's much more like D&D or Dark Heresy type combat rounds, just the people with more attacks get free rounds at the end. When things get nuts i might upgrade to staggering them.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Um, has everyone forgotten the 2nd ed of Robotech have quite a few mecha that have auto-dodge and that you add your PP bonus to auto-dodge rolls?

Personally I allow anyone with combat training a basic auto-dodge (no bonus except PP if any). This is NOT the same as the Juicer's "uncanny near supernatural ability to dodge for free" but just dodge without costing an attack. In most cases the person shooting at you has higher bonuses and will likely still hit you but it at least gives you chance over having to take the hit and this allows anyone to at least try to dodge even if out of attacks. I mean it's only fair to give some form of free dodge since anyone with combat training gets to parry for free. Granted the parrying gets full bonuses but dodging is a little more involved than parrying I would think and in most cases involves a lot more active movement to do.

Mind you I also modify the whole "cannot dodge 4 or more missile rule" as well
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

jaymz wrote:Mind you I also modify the whole "cannot dodge 4 or more missile rule" as well

Good call. That rule has always been at the top of my list of canon rules to totally ignore because they're completely stupid.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well i don't just "ignore it" but i do modify. It just harder and harder to dodge the more missiles thrown at you.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

jaymz wrote:Um, has everyone forgotten the 2nd ed of Robotech have quite a few mecha that have auto-dodge and that you add your PP bonus to auto-dodge rolls?

if you define "quite a few" as 27% of all mecha published...

total mecha count..

Code: Select all

Mecha   Autododge
UEEF:      11   4 (VR-038, VR-042, VR-052, VF-057)
ASC:      14   3 (Logan [F-mode], Ajax [F-mode], Manticore [space only],
UEDF:      6   1 (VF-1 [F-mode])
IMU's:      4   2 (VRM-32 Typhoon, VFH-RAU "fury")
Invid:      8   0
Masters:   9   1 (Bioroid Invid Fighter)
Zentreadi:   7   6 (Regult, Light arty pod, Heavy arty pod, Gluag, MPA, FPA)
haydonites:   2   0
Gura Invid:   5   0
Regent:      1   1 (Cougar)

note: Alpha models, Beta models, VF-1 models, and Cyclone submodels not counted seperately, Bioroid upgrades treated as seperate models due to massive changes to their designs and stats.

that's 67 mecha total, and 18 of which have auto dodge. of those 18, 4 receive autododge only in specific circumstances. and 7 of them have minimal armor and thus the autotdodge provides their main defense against attack.
the rest are cyclones.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

And yet too me that is quite a few (ignoring the fact I think the messed it up altogether anyway) and it IS there for "some" if you prefer. And those are the ones likely to be used in most campaigns anyway so it IS a viable option within the rules. :P

\m/
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

True. In first edition, auto dodge was extremely rare. Three cyclones, one Masters bioroid, and two Invid units (which ironically lost their AD bonuses in 2nd Edition). Everything else did not have auto dodge. Jaymz's point a valid one. Id certainly classify 27% as "quite a few" compared to the old game.
Updated Aug 2015

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”