Rifts PDFs

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Re: Rifts PDFs

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:I live in a seperated home, much due to that my mother have to work abroad while my father remains in Denmark, so that I can finish my school, it will be another year before me and my father will be able to pack up the family's stuff and travel to my mother's. But as it is quite cheap to travel between my parents, i try to visit mom 1-2 times each month and I would love to be able to bring my Rifts books on my iPad instead of having to start thinking on weights for my flights (as well as if i have to bring a few books with me - they will take up needed space in my backpack) where as if I bring all the books on my iPad, i can have a whole library and it will not take up any space.

So I wonder are there any of the newer books and older books as PDF at some authorized game store?

At this time it's limited books you can get
So far I have rifts-main books, rifts GM pack, and three rifters issues and the all sneak previews.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

You can make your own PDFs, that is what I do.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Giant2005 wrote:You can make your own PDFs, that is what I do.

What Giant said. I've got a ton of PDFs of books that I took the time to scan, albeit sometimes I wish I had a better method of scanning than one page at a time. :-? If anything it comes in handy when a RPG book mysteriously vanishes.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Colt47 wrote:

What Giant said. I've got a ton of PDFs of books that I took the time to scan, albeit sometimes I wish I had a better method of scanning than one page at a time. :-? If anything it comes in handy when a RPG book mysteriously vanishes.

I wish I had a PDF of my old PFRPG 1st edition. That thing disappeared years ago. :-(
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Colt47 wrote:

If you are willing to deface your books you can break the binding and scan induvidual pages. I know destroying a book is a frighting option, but your PDF will look awesome.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Hystrix wrote:
Colt47 wrote:

If you are willing to deface your books you can break the binding and scan induvidual pages. I know destroying a book is a frighting option, but your PDF will look awesome.

Some consider it destroying, I consider it immortalizing 8) .
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:
Colt47 wrote:

I wish I had a PDF of my old PFRPG 1st edition. That thing disappeared years ago. :-(

The Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game Revised Edition - 1st Edition Rules

They have the other 1st edition books up for sale there to.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Giant2005 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Colt47 wrote:

I agree. If you can keep the digital copy in good shape. Why not?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Hystrix wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Colt47 wrote:

I agree. If you can keep the digital copy in good shape. Why not?

because you lose the tactile sensations of turning pages, the smell of a digital screen also not the same as a "real" book... Plus during a power outage I can still read my hard copy by candle light...
Plus it is my understanding that it is completely possible to scan an entire PB book without destroying it and still produce a brilliant Digital copy.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Damian Magecraft wrote:because you lose the tactile sensations of turning pages, the smell of a digital screen also not the same as a "real" book... Plus during a power outage I can still read my hard copy by candle light...
Plus it is my understanding that it is completely possible to scan an entire PB book without destroying it and still produce a brilliant Digital copy.

I can read my RIFTS Lemuria PDF with my iPad during a power outage :)

Still, nothing compares with the sensation (touch, and smell) of a REAL brand new book!

I want BOTH!!! I need BOTH!!! I am willing to pay for BOTH!!!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

ffranceschi wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:because you lose the tactile sensations of turning pages, the smell of a digital screen also not the same as a "real" book... Plus during a power outage I can still read my hard copy by candle light...

I can read my RIFTS Lemuria PDF with my iPad during a power outage :)

Still, nothing compares with the sensation (touch, and smell) of a REAL brand new book!

I want BOTH!!! I need BOTH!!! I am willing to pay for BOTH!!!

and if the outage lasts for more than a few hours what then?
I laughed at friend of mine a few weeks back...
He insists that "dead trees" are the past and digital is the wave of the future and refuses to purchase anything but digital books...
Well the big storm knocked out power in the area for over a week...
He couldnt read any of his books after day one...
I on the other hand was still able to entertain myself with all my hard copy books
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Damian Magecraft wrote:and if the outage lasts for more than a few hours what then?
He insists that "dead trees" are the past and digital is the wave of the future and refuses to purchase anything but digital books...
I on the other hand was still able to entertain myself with all my hard copy books

The iPad battery lasts 9-10 hours (reading). I read 2 hours per day tops, so I can withstand 4 days. I have never had a power outage for more than one day so I think I can live with that.

By the way, just in case, I always have the hard copies at hand :)
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

ffranceschi wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:and if the outage lasts for more than a few hours what then?

The iPad battery lasts 9-10 hours (reading). I read 2 hours per day tops, so I can withstand 4 days. I have never had a power outage for more than one day so I think I can live with that.

Seems like those who insist on never getting hardcopy better get themselves a nice bicycle generator or hand crank for those occasions when despite all their insistence otherwise they do indeed find themselves cut off from power long enough that their batteries just won't last.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:
ffranceschi wrote:

Seems like those who insist on never getting hardcopy better get themselves a nice bicycle generator or hand crank for those occasions when despite all their insistence otherwise they do indeed find themselves cut off from power long enough that their batteries just won't last.
Its ok I have a power generator, soo while you all in the dark reading by candlelight , I'm recharging my iPad , and surfing the web :lol:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
ffranceschi wrote:

Its ok I have a power generator, soo while you all in the dark reading by candlelight , I'm recharging my iPad , and surfing the web :lol:

how much the fuel for it cost you?
gouging is a way of life in the states
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:Its ok I have a power generator, soo while you all in the dark reading by candlelight , I'm recharging my iPad , and surfing the web :lol:

Since its a company home, free!!

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:Its ok I have a power generator, soo while you all in the dark reading by candlelight , I'm recharging my iPad , and surfing the web :lol:

oh hell...
then your power would be out for all of 1hour since we know the moneyed get top priority.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

oh hell...
then your power would be out for all of 1hour since we know the moneyed get top priority.

Advantage of working and living in a special needs home

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Hystrix wrote:I agree. If you can keep the digital copy in good shape. Why not?

because you lose the tactile sensations of turning pages, the smell of a digital screen also not the same as a "real" book... Plus during a power outage I can still read my hard copy by candle light...

I wanna know that secret. Anytime i've scanned anything it's either been substandard, or I've ruined (or nearly ruined) the book I was scanning.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Hystrix wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

I wanna know that secret. Anytime i've scanned anything it's either been substandard, or I've ruined (or nearly ruined) the book I was scanning.

Me too

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:It is so nice that you guys have the ability to hijack any topic on the forum and use it for meaningless arguments.
All i asked was if Palladium Books did sell its books as PDFs and I got the answer. why do you have to take the time and effort to breed a new horse and starve it, just to flay it.

As the one that actually wrote the first post in this thread, i want to say that I do not like to buy a book and damage it - just to scan it. Books for me is something special and I care very deeply for my books and do not break them or write in them.

My books are my prescioussss!!!
Nasssssty forum ussers who try to convince me to hurt them.....we hatesssss them forever!!

No I do not hate them
....yes Amanda, we do!!
...yes we hatessss them forever!!!!

...But the forum users are kind and helps us, Amanda, they answer all our questions.
...But they want us to desssstroy our books, to break their backsss!!!
....Precioussss books, we will not hurt them...
...no we won't!!!

...They do not know better, they are just people with salaries, they have forgotten how it is to be young and not have all that money
....Stupid fat forum users!
....We hatesss them!

I mean, I am very careful that I do not hurt my books.

lol :ok: Good stuff.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Me too

http://www.diybookscanner.org/
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Me too

http://www.diybookscanner.org/

Neat :D

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Me too

I've scanned a few and while not 100% as good as say the PDF's from the insiders they are pretty close. No bookmarked Table of Contents page and a the odd OCR error but otherwise very little bleed through or page curl. It just takes patience and time.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

oh hell...

Since you want to be hung up on books are better than PDFs because you COULD have a power outage.

Where I live I have all of 3 power outages since I moved in 5 1/2yrs ago. The longest lasted 8hrs the other two were less than an hour (I am pretty fortunate, the area I live in is almost all buried power lines and also has the most consistent power in general of any place I have ever lived, even just the other side of town where I lived for 20yrs had less reliable power and its buried over there as well).

That comes in at an electrical up-time of 99.998%.

I am not too worried.

Personally even if one were to occur for a prolonged period of time and my iPad's battery looked like it was wanning, I have a power pack that could recharge it about 60%, extending the battery life for reading from about 12hrs (about what I can get on a full charge just reading with my screen brightness settings) to about 20hrs. If the power was still being shy after that, I have a car charger for it. I don't even have to run the car to charge it, just turn the key to accessory. Total power draw between various electrical components in the car the run in ACC mode plus the 5W USB charger (I actually have 2, one I hardwired in and a cigarette lighter charger, so I can charge two devices at once if I need to) is around 7w of power (radio off).

It takes about 6hrs to charge my iPad from empty to full off a 5w charger. So in that 6hrs I'd burn about 42whr from the car battery. Capacity at that discharge rate is around 400whr from my car battery, or about 9 full charges of my iPad. 9x12= 108hrs of use.

If the power isn't back on after 108hrs of using my iPad, oh plus the 20hrs of the original charge and battery pack (I doubt I am using it 24/7, gotta sleep and eat in there somewhere), I think civilization is well and truely F-ed and I have bigger things to worry about than if I have hardcopy of my RPGs.

Crap, with 20hrs of use, even if I use it for 6-7hrs a day that is about 3 full days of use.

I doubt I am gaming in a black out, but if I were, I'd be pretty much fine.

If that fails, I can fall back on my Nook simple touch (I don't have any PDFs loaded up on that) for keeping my mind company. Between how long its battery lasts and charging it off a car battery, I could probably keep the thing purring along reading 5-8hrs per day for a good year. At least so long as I disconnected the car battery between recharging, otherwise the parasitic draw would drain it in just 3-4 months and even at that, it is going to self discharge before I could suck it dry charging my nook ST.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Hell, I'm off the grid using hydroelectric and solar arrays, if I run out of power it's because the sun died and our water table dried up, in which case I'd have to turn on the wind turbines...
MethosDarkblade
Wanderer
Comment: The Dark General of the Apocalypse and the right hand man to the Horseman of Death

Unread post by MethosDarkblade »

When the Zombie apocolypse happens, which would you prefer, the use of PDFs for an hour at a time for reading or several hundred pounds of paper called books? The one thing everyone forgets is that you have to keep yourself entertained during the apocolypse or you will go insane. And since the TV is no longer an option, the only real creative outlet anyone can really get is through RPGs (Although, playing dead reign during an apocolypse could be considering the time as strategy and not gaming)
Methos Darkblade

If you smell who the rat is cooking.

Super or otherwise, you are just a man, while I am a God!
-Darkseid

That was fairly ruthless father. I hope I made you proud.
-Aqualad

Always better to crash the mode
-Impulse
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

Popping zeds in the brain basket is all the entertainment I will need. While I am waiting for more to show up in my kill zone though, I will partake of my books in pdf format.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:Oh that sucks.

I hope that they will start making PDFs or I will probably have to find another game to play :( It weighs too much to take all my books between my gaming group in Copenhagen and the one I play in in Tel Aviv.
:(

You can still do a fair bit with what's there. I saw the Rifts Main Book (pre-RUE rules), Sourcebook 1, Mutants in Orbit, and the Coalition Wars Books 1-6. You can run several campaigns with just those. I might add Aliens Unlimited and use some of them for D-Bees. Also several good adventures in the indices and game shield books. Older, yes. Still as playable as the day I first bought them.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:
Xar wrote:
Amanda-Cha'at wrote:Oh that sucks.

I hope that they will start making PDFs or I will probably have to find another game to play :( It weighs too much to take all my books between my gaming group in Copenhagen and the one I play in in Tel Aviv.
:(

You can still do a fair bit with what's there. I saw the Rifts Main Book (pre-RUE rules), Sourcebook 1, Mutants in Orbit, and the Coalition Wars Books 1-6. You can run several campaigns with just those. I might add Aliens Unlimited and use some of them for D-Bees. Also several good adventures in the indices and game shield books. Older, yes. Still as playable as the day I first bought them.

Considering that I already GM a campaign, that is based on Ultimate Edition, it does feel a bit wrong to retcon all characters/skills/psionics etcto 1st Edition Main Book. I mean if one of my players die, and they have to make a new character that is worse than the rest of the gang. No thanks. As the old version did not have all skills and OCC bonus abilities that the new book has.

I have ordered Vampire Kingdoms (New version), I have Sourcebook 1 revised, VK (old version) Ultimate Edition of the Main Book. I do not see any reason what so ever to buying any other books for my campaign. Like: Coalition War (which takes place some 5 years prior to what we are playing) and I do not wish to bother with HU/AU/MiO.

So I guess that as long as there are no books that interest me in PDF format, that I am afraid that Palladium Books will not have me as customer. I like the game a lot, but they just make it impractical for me to buy a lot of books.

So if any employee of Palladium Books see this, please make PDFs of newer books :)

They won't, or at least no year soon.

Even the Rifter is a good 18-24 months out of date on what they post to drive thru.

They are barely dabbling in the waters of new books and solely through the megaversal insider offers.

They MAY at some point start creating PDFs of newly released books and keeping them available. I think after that point they might start offering PDFs of books that are current edition Rifts/PFRPG slowly.

If I had to take a wild burro guess, it would be at least 2 years before they started opening their catalog in any meaningful way to PDFs for newer books. Could be sooner, could be never (the later is the safer bet if you NEED to be on any outcome). PB is glacial when it comes to embracing newer things. Its taken at least a couple of years of "dogging" PB about doing PDFs for them to finally do a PDF for Lemuria insider offer and now NG1 and 2. They'll probably at least continue PDF options for insider offerings for the foreseeable future, but I'd bet it is going to take more than these three insider offerings for them to decide to open up PDFs for all new books/and or "current" back catalog books.

Return to “Rifts®”