DEMON KNIGHTS !?!? Made one for fun.

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

DEMON KNIGHTS !?!? Made one for fun.

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I was bored and made a Demon-Knight RCC character for fun.
Not bad once i finished it. Better than i thought it would be to be honest.

They could use a few more skills to be honest at lvl 1 to help round them out better.
I might bring one into my new Chaos Earthish game set in 2012-2013 instead of 2098. Where any high-tech will be from the rifts, etc... ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Re: DEMON KNIGHTS !?!? Made one for fun.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Rappanui wrote:I haven't had any fun makinga demon knight, but for that time period.. i think a superbestowed from armageddon unlmited would be better...

the 5 majors is a huge Deal...
the Standard demon knight is a JOAT designed around fighting around phaseworld...
lots of his abilities would be overkill in the low PPE Environment that is chaos earth.

Chaos Earth is an extremely high PPE environment. In fact, higher than even Rifts Earth of 109 PA.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Rappanui wrote:sure doesn't seem that way with the mages being only able to cast on a blue line..

That has nothing to do whatsoever with the level of magical energies. That's because those human mages are inexperienced - and besidesn not all magic in Chaos Earth has to be cast from a Blue Line/Ley Line.

~ Josh
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Rappanui wrote:sure doesn't seem that way with the mages being only able to cast on a blue line..

That has nothing to do whatsoever with the level of magical energies. That's because those human mages are inexperienced - and besidesn not all magic in Chaos Earth has to be cast from a Blue Line/Ley Line.

~ Josh

And an EXPERIENCED magic caster coming from a background of being able to cast AWAY from a Ley Line enjoys a major advantage against the newbies, enough to do them some serious damage.
That is, provided that the experienced mage doesn't have problems of his own with the much more potent and chaotic energy flows of the Coming of the Rifts.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Yeah Chaos Earth's PPE level is HUGE. Nothing small or low about it. The new Human mages are still learning the ropes of using magic. Give them a few years to Master the art somewhat. Just remember the mages in Rifts, by the time starting playing the characer most likely has been learning about magic for years before they hit level one characters. Its not a fast and instant thing.

The Necromages in Chaos Earth have one leg up on the newbies, experienced Visitors teaching students the trade. Witches, are given their mastery...etc...

Honestly, I do think Chaos Earth should have more established magic-users already around. But how many of them survived the Earthquakes, Tidalwaves, buildings falling, volcanos, and LeyLine Storms in that first week ?? not many most likely.
Pre-Golden Age settings did have magic-users running around though. You could Always insert of them into Chaos Earth, and watch them marvel at how powerful they are now casting MD magics.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Rappanui wrote:I think the chaos earth magic book needs a do-over because there really isn't much to go on ... Other then the D shifter and Demon faced caster, most of the magic users seem kinda .. lame or unable to cast big magic that they have access to.

Think of it as evolution in action. You can't rely on spells alone; you gotta use your brains, pick your fights, do a lot of running away, pick which of your comrades you can throw off the truck, and pick the brains and knapsacks of any more 'experienced' mages you run across for hints on figuring out more sophisticated and powerful spells. Use what you got to impress the hell out of mundanes that you can convince to help you and protect you, while you stumble and grope your way to power.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Rappanui wrote:I think the chaos earth magic book needs a do-over because there really isn't much to go on ... Other then the D shifter and Demon faced caster, most of the magic users seem kinda .. lame or unable to cast big magic that they have access to.

I think the magic-users in Rise of Magic were really well done, considering their lack of experience and the danger of their environment. They weren't the refined Ley Line Walkers or Shifters that had centuries of tradition behind them. Instead, they were kids playing around with forces beyond anyone's understanding. They shouldn't have access to big magic at least not for a long time.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

TechnoGothic wrote:I was bored and made a Demon-Knight RCC character for fun.
Not bad once i finished it. Better than i thought it would be to be honest.

They could use a few more skills to be honest at lvl 1 to help round them out better.
I might bring one into my new Chaos Earthish game set in 2012-2013 instead of 2098. Where any high-tech will be from the rifts, etc... ;)

The lack of skills and lack of rounding out is probablly a balance choice, a lot of characters who are power-heavy suffer in the skill department.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Rappanui wrote:they aren't well done. They can't fight back against any of the chaos demons or pretty much survive without a BLASTER.
all they can do is run away or do some minor protection and that's it. They're pretty much relegated to Worthless dnd style wizards or kid magicians.
I wouldn't complain so much except the Monsters in this era have MDC equal to heavy power armor and magicians are basically useless in fighting these foes (other then being able to say " THERE he is!" or.. " I will Exorcise you!"...
If they had low mdc like 6d6 or the low mdc in RMB ... i wouldn't complain..

That's why they're well done, in my opinion. It's too much to expect them to be as capable of fighting as a Ley Line Walker or other well practiced, extensively trained magic user.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”