Can a preacher, (New West) make holy water?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Can a preacher make holy water

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 33

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Can a preacher, (New West) make holy water?

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Under vampire kingdoms it states a priest of a god who is of a good alignment can make holy water. Therefore can a preacher?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Hystrix
Champion

Re: Can a preacher, (New West) make holy water?

Unread post by Hystrix »

I'd say yes, if they are Roman Catholic. The Rifts preacher dosn't make that distinction. But if a Priest of Ra can make holy water, then a Roman Catholic Priest should be able to.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Hystrix wrote:I'd say yes, if they are Roman Catholic. The Rifts preacher dosn't make that distinction. But if a Priest of Ra can make holy water, then a Roman Catholic Priest should be able to.

What about a simple christian preacher, is that yes also? Presumably if they are using a bible they are Judea-christian in their belief systems.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Greyaxe wrote:
Hystrix wrote:I'd say yes, if they are Roman Catholic. The Rifts preacher dosn't make that distinction. But if a Priest of Ra can make holy water, then a Roman Catholic Priest should be able to.

What about a simple christian preacher, is that yes also? Presumably if they are using a bible they are Judea-christian in their belief systems.

Well, you could say yes, if you want. Traditionaly, Protestant preachers wouldn't use (or make) holy water. I'd say no. However, you could make an argumemnt that it's a type of Christianity that formed after the Great Cataclysm.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

If not, the class is useless. Therefore, yes.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Ninjabunny wrote:In all ways yes, they are a holy man and can bless the water.

Only if he "Is" a 'Holy Man" can they make holy water.
The class as it is, is just a motivational speaker. They not been given any power by their god. So any 'making of holy water would be a choice of the divine not anything else.

Priests are people who have been anointed/given with their god's power because of their faith. And thus have the power to make (un)holy water. While the power came from their deity, it is not the deity that made the choice to bless the water.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

A preacher is a teacher, not a priest who has been entrusted with a bit of the deity's power.

Is making a mechanics distinction.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Well, I will say that the OCC discription dose say that some preachers are faking, and doing what they do for personal gain. So I'd say there is a percentage that ARE NOT ordained by God. For what it's worth.

The OCC itself is meant to show a more mundane old west pastor type character. They don't have "magic" so to speak, like the priest from Pantheons dose.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

From a mechanics POV, No they can not make holy water because that is not a power that was giving to them in their write up.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Not only can they make Holy Water, they can make Holy Whiskey. Anyone who has seen Dusk til Dawn should know the answer to this question. :lol:

In short, I'd say they CAN but most probably do not know it or have never tried because its not really something they normally do or would have a need for.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Well, let's see.....it states most are quite religious. A minister, depending on the specific judeo-christian religion we are discussing can be the equivalent of a priest, just that in this case they do not have magic abilities but that should not disqualify them from doing something as minor as giving a blessing. Be it a person or water.

Mind you there is no where that states the Priest in CB2 can make holy water either so by the game mechanics they cannot make holy water.

EDIT - which seems rather ridiculous for both cases does it not? :lol:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Akashic Soldier
Knight

jaymz wrote:Well, let's see.....it states most are quite religious. A minister, depending on the specific judeo-christian religion we are discussing can be the equivalent of a priest, just that in this case they do not have magic abilities but that should not disqualify them from doing something as minor as giving a blessing. Be it a person or water.

Mind you there is no where that states the Priest in CB2 can make holy water either so by the game mechanics they cannot make holy water.

EDIT - which seems rather ridiculous for both cases does it not? :lol:

Not so much when you read the O.C.C. and realize that they're actually THIS GUY the class and not so much a traditional preacher as we know them today.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Ninjabunny wrote:Nick D. Wolfwood is more of an assassin actual he is a trained assassin not a preacher, he only carries the mantel of preacher. They are more like Clint in Pale Rider.

They're wandering preachers who start with skill in hand guns and sharpshooting and often preach fire and brimstone in a mad world of high-science and sci-fi gunplay, right?

Sounds pretty close to Nickie D. to me. :lol:
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I said yes for the traditional Preachers of good and selfish alignments and good Fire and Brimstone Preachers (what few of them I imagine there are).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Ninjabunny wrote:All true but they are not trained or raised to be an assassin which Mr.Wolfwood was, and as I said Pale Rider better fit Clint is all of the following minus high-tech sci-fi world :lol:

Just because you kill people for money doesn't mean you are a member of the Assassin O.C.C. :lol: but conversions are a no-no so I can't tell you what I think Chapel "would have been in Rifts."

I'm not arguging with ya here Ninja-Buddy... there's no reason Nick and Clint couldn't both be seen Preachers, that's the beauty of an O.C.C.. :lol:

Also... I might've never seen Pale Rider. *dives behind some barrels to avoid a hail of gun fire*
dragonfett
Knight

*pew pew pew*
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Akashic Soldier
Knight

dragonfett wrote:*pew pew pew*

*Barrels explode, sending hurtling splinters into bodies of passerby's with a sick wet thud and striking them instantly dead*
*The laser fire continues on through the scattered wood unimpeded as Akashic Solder turns to look towards the oncoming beam with a look of abject horror slowly crawling across his face*

"#$@%... Megah... Damage..."

*pieces of Akashic Soldier rain down on the rooftops and his severed head tumbles from the sky and splashes down in the horse troth blooding the water*

FATALITY!
dragonfett
Knight

"And that folks is exactly how good the Wilk's 457 Laser Pulse Rifle is at killing the bad guys. Buy yours today!"
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
dragonfett wrote:*pew pew pew*

*Barrels explode, sending hurtling splinters into bodies of passerby's with a sick wet thud and striking them instantly dead*
*The laser fire continues on through the scattered wood unimpeded as Akashic Solder turns to look towards the oncoming beam with a look of abject horror slowly crawling across his face*

"#$@%... Megah... Damage..."

*pieces of Akashic Soldier rain down on the rooftops and his severed head tumbles from the sky and splashes down in the horse troth blooding the water*

FATALITY!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You die for that <breaks out the NE 6SL and opens fire>
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
Akashic Soldier
Knight

calto40k wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You die for that <breaks out the NE 6SL and opens fire>

GHOST OF AKASHIC SOLDIER IN A G.M. HAT: "I am going to rule that because of emotional distress you are "shooting wild" and will require a 15 or higher to strike.

EDIT: With all of the talk about New West and gunplay on the forum the last couple of weeks I guess it was inevitable that one thread was bound to turn into a brutal mega-damage shoot out.
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Greyaxe wrote:Under vampire kingdoms it states a priest of a god who is of a good alignment can make holy water. Therefore can a preacher?

Making Holy Water is a mater of prayers and procedure, not class-specific abilities. Being able to make it would come down to two elements. First, the character doing it must be a holy man of some sort; faith is a definite prerequisite, otherwise you're just going through the motions. Second, the character should have some sort of lore skill granting him knowledge of the process; this would be covered by the Preacher OCC's "Lore: Religion" skill.

The process for making Holy Water is reasonably straight forward and doesn't require any rare components. It can done in three easy steps:

Step 1) Get salt and water. The water should be clean (decent bottled water is good, as is clean water from a stream, river, or lake if filtered & boiled), and the salt should be the kind that is edible and dissolves easily in water (some suggest a coarse sea salt).

Step 2) According to the Key of Solomon the King Book II Chapter 5, next you need to make Holy Salt. For the benediction of the salt, prepare your portion (about a table spoon per cup of water you intend to make) and speak over the salt, saying “The Blessing of the Father Almighty be upon this Creature of Salt, and let all malignity and hindrance be cast forth hence from, and let all good enter herein, for without Thee man cannot live, wherefore I bless thee and invoke thee, that thou mayest aid me.” After that, read aloud Psalm 103.

Step 3) Prepare the desired portion of water, and make sure it's clean. Try and stay away from tap water since it may have chlorine and fluoride in it. Now take your Holy Salt and while sprinkling it into the water repeat the exorcism: “I exorcise thee, O Creature of Water, by Him Who hath created thee and gathered thee together into one place so that the dry land appeared, that thou uncover all the deceits of the Enemy, and that thou cast out from thee all the impurities and uncleanness of the Spirits of the World of Phantasm, so they may harm me not, through the virtue of God Almighty Who liveth and reigneth unto the Ages of the Ages. Amen.” (again, Key of Solomon the King Book II Chapter 5)

PRESTO! Holy Water! No PPE needed, no magic incantations (per se), and no specialized class abilities required. It's kind of like baking a cake, except you have to have faith it won't fall flat.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

paxmiles wrote:Yes you can, unless GM decides it doesn't fit their campaign.

As a GM, I might limit excessive quantities of holy water creation or have some duration that it stays blessed, as I can see potential for abuse if character is able to make any water encountered into holy water...You know, rick the water warlock and preacher tim team up to summon a holy water elemental...yeah, going to limit that.

As a general rule, I'd say holy water remains holy so long as water would normally remain clean and safe to drink. You also cannot make natural bodies of water into holy water. I might allow the holy water elemental, but that would have a duration and would require the elemental to sit still while being made into holy water during a long-ish ceremony...
-Pax

I don't know. I work in Army Chapels. I have to tell you that holy water gets stale quite often. And nio one would drink it anyway.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Hystrix wrote:And no one would drink it anyway.

:erm:
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Akashic Soldier wrote:

I'm not kidding. I've seen some nasty holy water in my day. Seriously. Now usually it gets changed out, and then a priest blesses the new stuff, but I've never seen anyone drink it...
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Hystrix wrote:I've never seen anyone drink it...

:angel:
Akashic Soldier
Knight

paxmiles wrote:I meant that the holy water would require the conditions that would keep regular water clean. If the holy water is growing algae or is full of heavy metals, I'm thinking the effect has worn off.
-Pax

I think it's way cooler if it hasent.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Actuly is it mearly saying a blessing or perfoming a magic ritural that makes it hoaly water. Rifts hoaly water seams to have magical propeties bestoyed on it by something. So it may or may not be possible for a preacher to make it. By class discription it is not listed as a power. But any ways if it is a MDC fire fight now SEND IN THE CLONES!
*Thousands of cloned winged monkes sweep across the room throwing poo*
No no no you are suppose to thrwo the hand grenades i gave you not poo, stupid clones. Note to self make better clones next batch.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Essentially the Preacher is a snake oil salesman and should be treated as such. I think its cool to buy "holy water" from a preacher to fight vampires and it doesn't work as intended. Fits with the new west themes.

EDIT: I wonder if Kevin and Crew would object to creating a christian Priest? With defined powers of Create holy water, Bless and exorcism.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Greyaxe wrote:Essentially the Preacher is a snake oil salesman and should be treated as such. I think its cool to buy "holy water" from a preacher to fight vampires and it doesn't work as intended. Fits with the new west themes.

EDIT: I wonder if Kevin and Crew would object to creating a christian Priest? With defined powers of Create holy water, Bless and exorcism.

Already made. See BTS chars in Rifter 1.
And yes, create Holy water is one of the 'powers'.
-------------
The argument over wether a 'Preacher" can make holy water boils down to, 'If your GM say he can, then yes, if not, no." What the GM basis his choice on is his own problem.
-------------
Unless the Preacher is a true believer, as in putting all his trust in his god thus following that god's precepts (Not the AH's that proclaim that they are and drive away prospective coverts by being "holyer then thou" which the media portrays most 'true believers'), then they will not be able to make holy(blessed) water.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

IMO, the new west preacher is a protestant denomination based class. more or less. i'd assume that unless you specifically link the character to one of the pantheons or a cult, it's best to assume it's a neo-protestant type faith.

a Catholic priest OCC can be found in Mystic Russia. (personally i'd assume this would be used for both Catholic and Orthodox.. the differences aren't big enough to effect an OCC)

Protestant beliefs generally do not include the concept of holy water. generally it's just Catholics, Eastern orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheranism. the last two are technically protestant, but in many ways they are just one step removed from being catholic..
i'd say in an environment like rifts, Protestant derived faiths would easily admit that 'holy water' has special traits, but given that they'd also have to admit that the various pantheons and magic exist, i'd find it doubtful that many would attribute the special traits to God, as opposed to just "magic". Protestant faiths have a dislike of esoteric ritual, where proscribed prayers and actions supposedly bring about specific divinely influenced results (effectively a type of religious magic)
on the otherhand, Protestant faiths have produced faith healers, snakehandlers, and so on as minority offshoots, so it's not exactly clear cut.

Akashic Soldier wrote:Not only can they make Holy Water, they can make Holy Whiskey. Anyone who has seen Dusk til Dawn should know the answer to this question. :lol:

In short, I'd say they CAN but most probably do not know it or have never tried because its not really something they normally do or would have a need for.

Robin Hood: Rabbi, you seem to be on the side of good. Will you come and share with us some of your wisdom, some of your council, and perhaps... some of your wine?
[Merry Men snicker]
Rabbi Tuckman: Wisdom and council, that's easy. But this is sacrimental wine! It's only used to bless things.
Merry Men: Awwwww...
Rabbi Tuckman: [pauses] Wait a minute! There's things here! There's rocks, there's trees, there's birds, there's squirrels. Come on, we'll bless them all until we get fershnickered
Rabbi Tuckman: Join me!
Robin Hood: Let's hear it for the Rabbi!
Merry Men: [Cheer]
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kogwar
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Alea iacta est." The die is cast.

Unread post by kogwar »

I would say yes we as a group gave that preacher all of the power of the priest from rifter one.
“Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Working on: New West Rifter submission

Campaigns:
The Sons Of DustWater campaign
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I have to say the argument really seems to be more around what the class was intended to be as written. Of course there is also the argument "God" would not imbue any of his followers with abilities as that would prove his existence... But i think i am going to suggest NO as the answer and buck the tide. Because I don't think the class as written was intended to be anything more than a public speaker or a Shepard to a flock depending on the type of preacher... Fire and brimstone vs Tolerant Judge. I really feel this class was never intend to be supernatural in any way and would diminish the roleplaying aspects of the class if it did in fact have supernatural powers beyond the ability of a race. Here is another question, do you feel any race other than human could be a preacher, given the bible puts humans alone in gods image?
kogwar
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Alea iacta est." The die is cast.

Unread post by kogwar »

I think the confusion is that everyone thinks it is god giving the power i think it is more of a faith thing that iw why most of the abilities are limited and those other than the water that endure last only a little while i mean at its base you could easily see ti as any other magic that your perseption shapes your magic that is why tw is possible and dance magic is possible bacause they beleave it will work there for it does.
“Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Working on: New West Rifter submission

Campaigns:
The Sons Of DustWater campaign
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Greyaxe wrote:I have to say the argument really seems to be more around what the class was intended to be as written. Of course there is also the argument "God" would not imbue any of his followers with abilities as that would prove his existence... But i think i am going to suggest NO as the answer and buck the tide. Because I don't think the class as written was intended to be anything more than a public speaker or a Shepard to a flock depending on the type of preacher... Fire and brimstone vs Tolerant Judge. I really feel this class was never intend to be supernatural in any way and would diminish the roleplaying aspects of the class if it did in fact have supernatural powers beyond the ability of a race. Here is another question, do you feel any race other than human could be a preacher, given the bible puts humans alone in gods image?

I'm curious why God would care one way or another if he gave power to his followers (particularly given Biblical accounts certainly denote his most faithful having supernatural powers such as casting out demons). Miracles are considered proof He exists, and he's hardly required to not provide proof of His existence, since He sets the rules. Those devout enough ought to have some kind of powers from it either as direct gifts from God or just due to their intense belief in Him.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

kogwar wrote:I think the confusion is that everyone thinks it is god giving the power i think it is more of a faith thing that iw why most of the abilities are limited and those other than the water that endure last only a little while i mean at its base you could easily see ti as any other magic that your perseption shapes your magic that is why tw is possible and dance magic is possible bacause they beleave it will work there for it does.

Good argument.
After all Magic in Rifts is belief and tradition.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Nightmask wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:I have to say the argument really seems to be more around what the class was intended to be as written. Of course there is also the argument "God" would not imbue any of his followers with abilities as that would prove his existence... But i think i am going to suggest NO as the answer and buck the tide. Because I don't think the class as written was intended to be anything more than a public speaker or a Shepard to a flock depending on the type of preacher... Fire and brimstone vs Tolerant Judge. I really feel this class was never intend to be supernatural in any way and would diminish the roleplaying aspects of the class if it did in fact have supernatural powers beyond the ability of a race. Here is another question, do you feel any race other than human could be a preacher, given the bible puts humans alone in gods image?

I'm curious why God would care one way or another if he gave power to his followers (particularly given Biblical accounts certainly denote his most faithful having supernatural powers such as casting out demons). Miracles are considered proof He exists, and he's hardly required to not provide proof of His existence, since He sets the rules. Those devout enough ought to have some kind of powers from it either as direct gifts from God or just due to their intense belief in Him.

Because proof by its definition destroys Faith. Faith is the belief in what you know but can not see or touch. Imbuing preachers with supernatural powers would wreck the OCC in my opinion. But as another poster already mentioned it is belief that imbues magic in the first place. I don't know the discussion could go either way.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Greyaxe wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Because proof by its definition destroys Faith. Faith is the belief in what you know but can not see or touch. Imbuing preachers with supernatural powers would wreck the OCC in my opinion. But as another poster already mentioned it is belief that imbues magic in the first place. I don't know the discussion could go either way.

Proof doesn't destroy faith, it simply justifies its existence. Being able to make Holy Water isn't likely to destroy the OCC either, other faiths can after all and it's not like we're talking parting the Red Sea or raising the dead.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Nightmask wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Proof doesn't destroy faith, it simply justifies its existence. Being able to make Holy Water isn't likely to destroy the OCC either, other faiths can after all and it's not like we're talking parting the Red Sea or raising the dead.

ok.....
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Hystrix wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

I'm not kidding. I've seen some nasty holy water in my day. Seriously. Now usually it gets changed out, and then a priest blesses the new stuff, but I've never seen anyone drink it...

Of course you don't drink it. It's extremely salty. Holy Water is for topical ordinations and ceremonies, not internal use. D'uh.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Akashic Soldier
Knight

A deep spiritual question but it specifically mentions in the O.C.C. that D-Bee's are an accepted part of the faith in some communities. Its like the aliens thing, God never said there were no aliens he just said that he made man in his image. It just means humans are closer to God than anything else, which makes sense because Christianity originated on Earth and not in some alien dimension. (In Rifts).
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Shinitenshi wrote:

So the ability of a Preacher to make holy water would make him supernatural? Does this mean every priest and minister in the world that blesses water is supernatural?

The ability to make holy water is not supernatural, it is not magic, it is a person with faith saying a blessing over something.

So the New West preachers that run churches like stated in the book are snake oil salesmen? It also very clearly states that the Preacher OCC can be of any denomination.

I used “supernatural” as this holy water is supposed to affect vampires. I know mundane articles affect vampires but my initial point was the Deity has to imbibe the hallowed water according to the description in rifts Vampires. Only priests who’s deity is of good alignment can create holy water, this implies an element of the supernatural. I am not talking about real world priests. My question revolves most directly around the Preacher who has no defined deity or powers of any kind in rifts New West.

One good argument was the belief element which is the foundation of magic in rifts. If that holds true and a preacher as defined in Rifts new west need only believe sufficiently to make holy water. If that holds true couldn’t anyone with a strong enough belief make holy water?
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Dead Boy wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

Of course you don't drink it. It's extremely salty. Holy Water is for topical ordinations and ceremonies, not internal use. D'uh.

I know what it's for. I was commenting about an earlier post someone made about it being so pure.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Did you forget that regular water also damages vampires?

But only holy water drawn in a circle will keep vampires at bay.

And as often as possible i try to separate religion form my games so no i don't care that real live priests can create holy water. I want to decide if an OCC in Rifts can do it.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Greyaxe wrote: I want to decide if an OCC in Rifts can do it.

If you are looking for game mechanics you won't find any for it.

If any HAD it it would be the priest in CB2. It doesn't.

Personally since there is a ritual of sorts on how to do so in the bible then anyone can really make holy water as long as they believe.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

jaymz wrote:

Personally since there is a ritual of sorts on how to do so in the bible then anyone can really make holy water as long as they believe.

I have reviewed the priest in CB2 and there is nothing in there specifically other than what it states in WB1 Vampire Kingdoms pg 28 it states any PRIEST, which i have to assume is the CB2 version. My concern is if any Joe can make holy water everyone would, it would be common. I suspect it is not. So you need more than faith in a deity. Otherwise any devout follower of any good aligned deity could make holy water.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Greyaxe wrote:
jaymz wrote:

I have reviewed the priest in CB2 and there is nothing in there specifically other than what it states in WB1 Vampire Kingdoms pg 28 it states any PRIEST, which i have to assume is the CB2 version. My concern is if any Joe can make holy water everyone would, it would be common. I suspect it is not. So you need more than faith in a deity. Otherwise any devout follower of any good aligned deity could make holy water.

WB1 predates CB2 by quite some time iirc. There is no way it is in reference to that particular Priest OCC.

Besides not every joe q public could do it as 1 you need theproper material (though they are not hard to come by), 2 literacy is fairly low unless said person has the bible perfectly memorized to such an extent as to be able to do the appropriate prayer/psalm from memory and 3 they have to have true faith in their "god". In the New West for example that is 3 things that I imagine are not easy to come by altogether.

\m/
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

jaymz wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
jaymz wrote:

WB1 predates CB2 by quite some time iirc. There is no way it is in reference to that particular Priest OCC.

Besides not every joe q public could do it as 1 you need theproper material (though they are not hard to come by), 2 literacy is fairly low unless said person has the bible perfectly memorized to such an extent as to be able to do the appropriate prayer/psalm from memory and 3 they have to have true faith in their "god". In the New West for example that is 3 things that I imagine are not easy to come by altogether.

You are correct. So that argument goes out the window. I guess I may have to concede, and have only the goodly aligned preachers able to preform this feat.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

first, everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down. lets not let this turn into a flamewar over real world religion, ok?

looking through the books, i can find one specific example of making holy water.
WB3, Herbal magic page 30 and 31. Oak tree's and the Herb 'Rue' can both be used to make holy water. this is listed as "magic potion" in the entries.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Greyaxe wrote:
jaymz wrote: I guess I may have to concede, and have only the goodly aligned preachers able to preform this feat.

That's the way I;d lean. I'd also make sure the preacher in questions adhered to the 3 points I made above as well.

\m/

Return to “Rifts®”