Fun Friendly Topic (FFT): Your Dream Rifts Book

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Re: Fun Friendly Topic (FFT): Your Dream Rifts Book

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Ohhh that's an intresting query...

Rifts, "Coalition States"

It'd be a 'mega source book' 352 pages. It'd cover...

1) The history of the CS. From inception to modern times.
2) Major battles, both won and loss, included in that history.
3) The states, each, detailed and profiled, with maps of each state, and the cities, both mega and normal therein.
4) Details on the mega cities.
5) An entire chapter on Chi-town.
6) CS society, how the average CS person lives (( both mega city and otherwise)) this can include living conditions, equipment, entertainment, propiganda, ect
7) Main CS movers and shakers. The high command. The Prosecks, ect.
8) Plans for advancement, what the CS is working on, what they have up their sleevs for the near future.
9) Updated (( if needed)) OOC compilation towards the end.
10) Include the stuff from the Coalition Edge Rifter, The stuff on the Rift control and study group, the new city information.
11) Explain, in Canon, why the entire "Just teleport in with a bomb and blow up chi town" Doesn't work... IN The rifts universe, IN canon. (( These are covered in number 10, but I wanna put it here for big bold "So people will shut up about it" bullet point.
12) CS threat Analysis. How the CS views the powers around them. Lazlo. New Lazlo. Merc town, Pecos, FQ, New Navy, the Shemerrians, The Cyber knights, Atlantis, NGR, ect. Views on these enemies or possible enemies, and any plans for the future. Doesn't have to go into huge details bug give some story hooks..

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the reason people keep debating the chi-town magical anti-teleport nonesense isn't because it's rifter material, it's because it doesn't fit the canonical Coalition states...much like the rest of the article. making it canon wouldn't stop the arguement, if anything it would make them more heated. just look at the seige on tolkeen.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Not sure why you think it doesn't fit, but that's probably something for it's own thread? I think it fits fine.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Not sure why you think it doesn't fit, but that's probably something for it's own thread? I think it fits fine.

because nobody else in the entire megaverse has anything like this, apart from the barrier of thoth... a spell of legend named after a god of knowledge (and magic) who is in fact the most powerful of the old ones.

if it was relatively common, to the point where for example banks and other secure locations across the megaverse had the technology, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much. it would change things quite a bit in the setting, but i don't think that change would be for the worse.

it's essentially like if you had, say, a magic nation that isn't particularly exceptional in terms of magic capability in any way, doesn't have a particularly large amount of resources to throw at problems, and is restricted to a small area of the world, but their wizards (and no other wizards in the entire megaverse) had a way to generate a field that completely shuts down, say, nuclear reactions... which is completely unknown and impossible to access for anyone else in the megaverse. and somehow managed to keep it a complete secret even though they have a tech-based enemy that (as a whole) has more than adequate access to nuclear reactors/batteries, fusion blocks, nuclear weapons, etc and would routinely be making attacks with such technological devices into the kingdom.

could a spell or magical object exist that creates such a field? sure, why not. should it be something that was created entirely by a small kingdom in some nowhere planet when nobody else in the entire megaverse can figure it out? no. no it should not. and neither should the coalition states be the sole kingdom in the entire megaverse to be able to devise the AMIR, if it is possible to design one. the concept that it is somehow a complete state secret that none of their enemies just makes it even more absurd.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I guess the topic title of "Fun friendly topic" was missed...

As was my 'probably something for it's own thread?'... but ok.

Shark_Force wrote:]
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Not sure why you think it doesn't fit, but that's probably something for it's own thread? I think it fits fine.

because nobody else in the entire megaverse has anything like this, apart from the barrier of thoth... a spell of legend named after a god of knowledge (and magic) who is in fact the most powerful of the old ones.

Information not in evidence. It's stated that the CS got help from someone/somewhere, but doesn't state who it is. SOMEONE else has it. Also, extremely extremely little is stated about stationary defenses of other places around the megaverse. How do you know it's not Standard equipment? You don't. What other bases are actually detailed in other books?

Shark_Force wrote:if it was relatively common, to the point where for example banks and other secure locations across the megaverse had the technology, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much. it would change things quite a bit in the setting, but i don't think that change would be for the worse.

How do you know it's not? Not trying to sound snarky, but lack of evidence of a thing isn't evidence of a lack of that thing. Again, defenses across the megaverse are largely unexplained.

Shark_Force wrote:
it's essentially like if you had, say, a magic nation that isn't particularly exceptional in terms of magic capability in any way, doesn't have a particularly large amount of resources to throw at problems, and is restricted to a small area of the world, but their wizards (and no other wizards in the entire megaverse) had a way to generate a field that completely shuts down, say, nuclear reactions... which is completely unknown and impossible to access for anyone else in the megaverse. and somehow managed to keep it a complete secret even though they have a tech-based enemy that (as a whole) has more than adequate access to nuclear reactors/batteries, fusion blocks, nuclear weapons, etc and would routinely be making attacks with such technological devices into the kingdom.

Or quite simply, a technological based nation didn't wanna get blown up so spent 60 years working with "Someone unnamed" to install the technology to prevent the teleportation with in an area. You can wave your hands and scream like it's the biggest thing ever. It stops teleporting into an area. it doesn't rewrite the universe's base principals. Just like 'How's magic work? Magic!!" is an answer, "How's Advanced super technology work? It's advanced super technology!!" WE don't know how it works... but then we don't know how to build coffee can sized nuclear reactors or a laser pistol that looks like the zapper from my NES that's stronger than the main gun on a battle ship either. But they do so commonly in rifts earth.

Shark_Force wrote:could a spell or magical object exist that creates such a field? sure, why not. should it be something that was created entirely by a small kingdom

One of the largest kingdoms on the planet and one of the most powerful, and THE most powerful on the contenent. You're acting like it's 6 guys in a mud hut. They're not. They've technology to create nuclear reactors by the millions and advanced weaponry in 100 different forms, not to mention nearly unlimited genetic engineering. It's not like they're rubbing sticks together.

Shark_Force wrote: in some nowhere planet

Nowhere planet.... the interdimensional center of the galexy with rifts to countless worlds, and dimensions. You know.... nowhere. No way technology from one of those hundreds of thousands or millions of other places linked to Rifts earth could ever ... Come INTO rifts earth? like... the thousands of examples we have... where that happens. Nothing like that?

Shark_Force wrote:

when nobody else in the entire megaverse can figure it out?

Again, You're assuming because palladium's cut and paste tactics haven't splashed it across 30 books and wasted 100 pages retyping it, that it doesn't exist. It may be common tech in the megaverse. We just rarely see any bases anywhere except rifts earth, most expecially human bases. the CS got help from someone/somewhere. So Someone has it. andd if someone has it, others may have it.

You're using the 'I've not seen it, it can't exist" Logic here. The number of things you haven't seen are legion. It doesn't make them any less real.

Shark_Force wrote: no. no it should not. and neither should the coalition states be the sole kingdom in the entire megaverse to be able to devise the AMIR, if it is possible to design one. the concept that it is somehow a complete state secret that none of their enemies just makes it even more absurd.

You spend half your post saying how backwards and po-dunk Earth is, then you sum up with, if they did make it everyone would have one, so neener!

You know, as a bit of defense technology..... they wouldn't tell anyone, to help prevent counters from being formed.

By your logic the US shares all it's defense technology with all her enemies, just so everyone else has it too. And tells all the other nations on earth what all we can do. So they'll all know.

Oh wait.. the US..... doesn't do that? Not even to our allies you say?

But the xenophobic and fascist CS should and would? Oh wow!...... :thwak:

No cookie for you! If they did have it of course it'd be an ultra ultra top secret state secret... like it's described in the book. Why would you TELL someone else you had this bit of tech?

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

How does a magical construct fit .. into a society in which they have banned all magical practices .. and persecute mages or anyone who uses magic .. Even to help the very society that which is persecuting the magic based classes and in general ?

This I gotta see ..
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Here are the books I want, in the order of preference, with relevant notes:

1. Rifts Earth Atlas (High Quality Professional Maps*), 356 pages, full color, hardbound with faux black leather cover, silvered lettering and edges, and a couple of bookmark ribbons.
  2. WB: Lazlo
  3. WB: Chi-Town
  4. WB: Sol System (A complete non-TMNT solar system setting.**)
  5. WB: Iron Heart
  6. WB: Coalition States (Other states beyond Chi-Town/Quebec and more general info.)
  7. WB: Northern Gun/Manistique Imperium
  8. WB: Western North America (New West and Spirit West revised entirely.***)
  9. WB: Eastern North America
  10. Sourcebook: Techno Wizardry
  11. Sourcebook: Demon Seas
  12. Sourcebook: Wastelands
  13. Sourcebook: Super Nexus Points
  14. Sourcebook: Black Market
  15. Sourcebook: Psyscape, The City
  16. Sourcebook: Kingsdale, Redux
  17. WB: Atlantic Ocean****
  18. WB: Pacific Ocean**** (or at least, South Pacific)
  19. WB: Indian Ocean****
  20. WB: Africa, Revised
  21. WB: Europe
  22. WB: Scandinavia
  23. WB: India
  24. WB: Asia Minor
  25. WB: Middle East
  26. WB: Arctic Zones
* Via Campaign Cartographer, or similar program. Full color. Containing multiple views, including with and without ley-lines, with and without political boundaries, advances of armies during battles, etc.
** With a superior explanation for the "Orbital Denial System" around Earth.
*** How about a non-cowboys and Indians, non-cliche approach? (Or at least one that is not entirely rooted in it.)
**** Expansion/Revision of Underseas.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

#22 is in the works.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:

How does a magical construct fit .. into a society in which they have banned all magical practices .. and persecute mages or anyone who uses magic .. Even to help the very society that which is persecuting the magic based classes and in general ?

This I gotta see ..

It's not magical. It's Technological.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

which makes it worse. i mean, this is a society that can't make a reliable multioptic laserdot scope, can't build a stealth fighter without german help...but they can build wholly unprecidented anti-magic macguffins that not only work, but work 100% of the time?

how the hell does that fit?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

glitterboy2098 wrote:which makes it worse. i mean, this is a society that can't make a reliable multioptic laserdot scope, can't build a stealth fighter without german help...but they can build wholly unprecidented anti-magic macguffins that not only work, but work 100% of the time?

you got a page cite for that? or are we assuming lack of evidence = evidence of a lack?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Damian Magecraft wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:which makes it worse. i mean, this is a society that can't make a reliable multioptic laserdot scope, can't build a stealth fighter without german help...but they can build wholly unprecidented anti-magic macguffins that not only work, but work 100% of the time?

you got a page cite for that? or are we assuming lack of evidence = evidence of a lack?

also known as the C-10's scope. listed in both RUE and the RMB as unreliable, with the RMB giving a specific failure rate that was pretty high.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

also known as the C-10's scope. listed in both RUE and the RMB as unreliable, with the RMB giving a specific failure rate that was pretty high.
ok you have a cite...
but seriously thats the basis for your argument?
in the 40s we couldnt make a reliable rocket/missile but we were able to develop the atomic bomb...
modern day is rife with examples of leaps in tech in one area while others stagnate...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Shark_Force
Palladin

in megaversal terms, rifts earth IS a nowhere planet. the CS are like tiny little krill in an ocean full of gigantic sea monsters. there are canon galactic empires that have thousands of planets, each with more advanced tech than the CS by quite a bit. yes, it has lots of rifts leading to and from it. and most of those are also from planets that are even more pathetically tiny in the grand scheme of things. in megaversal terms, it *is* six guys in a mud hut.

how do i know that others don't have it? because the article is about the special technology available to the CS. if everyone has it, it's no more special than a laser pistol or a fully automatic SMG. and it's the sort of thing that completely changes how the setting works. it's the sort of thing that would be important to know. it isn't important to the setting to know whether the CS or anyone else has access to microwave ovens, for the most part. but it would be pretty damned important to know if they have something equivalent to the robotech's grand cannon, and that sort of information really needs to be included if it does exist. now we could argue that we don't know that the CS (or anyone else) doesn't have that kind of weapon... or we could acknowledge that since it isn't mentioned, the CS (and other places) most likely don't have it.

as far as keeping this a secret, it's not a matter of not telling anyone. it's a matter of people noticing "hey, when someone tried to teleport themselves/some object in they/it got launched 2,000 feet through the air and crashed into the middle of the burbs just after they spent months digging up all the sewers for no apparent reason and shipping in massive high-tech electronics to the site". the odds of that happening more than a couple of times, and anyone chalking it up to mere coincidence, are so low that it's an insult to our intelligence to try and claim that it's a secret. especially when, if it's available elsewhere, who's more likely to have the technology, or knowledge of the technology's existence... the many dimension-traveling super-intelligent creatures which live outside of the CS, or the xenophobic knowledge-suppressing magic-hating nation with no interdimensional allies?

information which completely changes the function of the setting needs to be stated. this is not some minor side-note, this is a major change in how the setting works.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Yet they can build literal millions of coffee can nuclear reactors. Millions of suits of personal flying power armor. And can quick grow genetic mutant, supernatural psionic dog men to order, ect ad infin.

As for the anti magic rings, they don't work 100% of the time. They just use more than one. Think about it this way. A door who's lock can only be picked 20% of the time, but if you put 100 doors between you and the out side, it becomes close to 100%, as you can't roll the dice that many times and win. That's all it is. If you fail the roll to 'pick the lock' it's booby traped to throw you back out side all the doors and you gotta start over. (( if you survive getting thrown over a half mile.))

And again, it's stated they didn't dream it up on their own. They got help from 'Someone/somewhere' and even then it took over 60 years.

And even THEN, it counters one, very specific very narrow block. The teleport or astral scrying thing. It's stated clearly you can walk across the rings. Just can't teleport across them.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Shark_Force wrote: in megaversal terms, rifts earth IS a nowhere planet. the CS are like tiny little krill in an ocean full of gigantic sea monsters. there are canon galactic empires that have thousands of planets, each with more advanced tech than the CS by quite a bit.

Not really. The only thing they have is space flight. Their weapons or anything else aren't better than the CS. Much less "by quite a bit". The CS have never gone starward. They've been busy.

Shark_Force wrote: yes, it has lots of rifts leading to and from it. and most of those are also from planets that are even more pathetically tiny in the grand scheme of things.

Information not in evidence. Rifts go to everywhere. The number of technologically advanced dbees shows that.

Shark_Force wrote:
in megaversal terms, it *is* six guys in a mud hut

Says you. Others seem to think it's the key to metaversal travel and have made it the centerpeice of such a spanning system. You know, Atlantis is based around the fact.

Shark_Force wrote:
how do i know that others don't have it? because the article is about the special technology available to the CS.

So an article only about the CS doesn't tell you about everyone else? No kiddin' Shark. Really? the CS have laser pistols and Body armor. They're very own special built ones with scaaaaaaaaaaary skull motifs. Does that mean noone else has laser pistols and armor? Doubtful. We know it doesn't.

Shark_Force wrote:
if everyone has it, it's no more special than a laser pistol or a fully automatic SMG.

It's special to the CS as it solves a problem. We don't know if others use it or not. Again as I pointed out (( and people like to ignore)) The information on Bases out side of the CS or in other planets is pretty slim.

look at the siege on tolkeen. When the war started, Tolkeen suddenly had the ability to literly suck up nuclear ICBMs and shunt them off to other dimenions. Thhat worked 100%, having never been tested. out of nowhere, with no prior indication of anything even remotely like it in Rifts Canon ever.

Yet there it was. Poof. Done. And the war went on for 6 books instead of 6 paragraphs had the nukes hit. The Tolkeenites managed to develope uniquie technology (( as far as we know)) out of no whhere that solved a major problem (( getting nuked and the war lasting 5 minutes)).

For all we know it could be standard, but it never appeared before (( Even in atlantis who is far far more magically advanced)).

Shark_Force wrote:
and it's the sort of thing that completely changes how the setting works.

Oh posh. It just stops magical twinks from going "ok I use a level 4 spell to blow up chi town" it doesn't "Completely change how the setting works" It's technology thatblocks two magic spells. It's less system changing than technowizardry ((in wich you find technology CAN and DOES effect magic if used right))

Shark_Force wrote: it's the sort of thing that would be important to know. it isn't important to the setting to know whether the CS or anyone else has access to microwave ovens, for the most part. but it would be pretty damned important to know if they have something equivalent to the robotech's grand cannon,

So now in your hyperbole you're equating a defence ring that prevents teleportation and astral scrying..... but not simply walking past it... to a mile long ships cannon that does infinate damage to everything in it's path?

LOL

Wow.

Shark_Force wrote: and that sort of information really needs to be included if it does exist. now we could argue that we don't know that the CS (or anyone else) doesn't have that kind of weapon... or we could acknowledge that since it isn't mentioned, the CS (and other places) most likely don't have it.

It is mentioned. Right where I said. And repeatedly in multiple rifters. *shrugs* As to why it wasn't mentioned in the RUE. I suspect, that it didn't come up. Not becuase it's totally unknowable, but because when the game first came out, the designers didn't think it up. They're game players and hobbiests. Look at the hundreds of military things glossed over or just blatently wrong about rifts. It's just one of those. The books aren't written by military folk. So they don't think like Military folk. These are the same guys that write about dragons and floopers. As for 'revisions' later on. Again..... other than very very very general terms. What information DO we have about the megacities? Not much.

If you don't want to use it. Thenn don't. But it explains, and simply, a 'hole' in the setting.

Shark_Force wrote: as far as keeping this a secret, it's not a matter of not telling anyone. it's a matter of people noticing "hey, when someone tried to teleport themselves/some object in they/it got launched 2,000 feet through the air and crashed into the middle of the burbs just after they spent months digging up all the sewers for no apparent reason

Right.. they're that stupid. They went out with big massive trucks and installed all the stuff with people watching and turned it on all at once, and there were so many mages out there teleporting in at such a swift frequency they could assertain that exact moment.

Riiiight.

The CS is sooooo stupid, that they did it that braindead way.

Shark_Force wrote:
and shipping in massive high-tech electronics to the site".

Right. The CS.. in it's MASSIVE STUPIDITY.... never would have thought that far ahead. never would have actually... gone in and repaired some sewers.... naa... wouldn't have hidden the rings in pipes marked "BIO HAZARD, HUMAN WASTE" with big bright pictographs for those that can't read. Wouldn't have put in more pipes 100% the same that HAD... bio waste in them. Couldn't have sent in people from the processing plants, Through the pipes instead of driving out and digging a hole or going down a manhole cover.

Couldn't have organized distractions, like burbs burnings or military actions, mass round ups or detainment.... Couldn't have done it 100 ways other than just walking out there shouting at the top of their lungs that they were installing top secret stuff underground. They're sooo stupid that they can build megacities, and do all the genetic engineering, and nuclear science, but they're SOOOO Dumb, they didn't think even 10 seconds about how to sneak the tech in, under a bunch of illiterate squatters.

Shark_Force wrote: the odds of that happening more than a couple of times, and anyone chalking it up to mere coincidence, are so low that it's an insult to our intelligence to try and claim that it's a secret.

No Shark. it's not a secret that you can no longer teleport into the mega cities or Bases. It's just a secret as to how they do it. The Mages have no idea how it's being done. It could be a bubble projected from some machine in the center of the city. it could be something from the top of the vaguely pyramidal city shape (( remember they're big in rifts magic)), it could be something beamed down from space. (( the mages don't know the CS has no satellites. Or have not sinced launched some)) The mages don't know if it's something imbedded in the walls. Or even the effect of alll that technology itself. It's like trying to explain an Ipad to a member of one of the rainforest tribes today. It's not that the guy from that rainforrest tribe is stupid. He's a human, same as you or I. It's just so far beyond anything he understands and out of his realm of experience, that no matter what he GUESSES it is, he's not going to get it. He has no frame of reference. You can show him. "Tap this bright square, then the arrow, and it'll play a movie" But he has no fathoming of how it works. (( not that many of us do either really)) Same sort of thing with the anti teleporter rings. The mages trying to teleport through, know they're flung back. but have no clue as to why they were. They just know they were.

Shark_Force wrote:
especially when, if it's available elsewhere, who's more likely to have the technology, or knowledge of the technology's existence... the many dimension-traveling super-intelligent creatures which live outside of the CS, or the xenophobic knowledge-suppressing magic-hating nation with no interdimensional allies?

Maybe some of them do know about it. The write ups we have for dbees are a page or two at bbest. All the things they know or do not know would take 100s of 1000s of books per species.

Shark_Force wrote:
information which completely changes the function of the setting needs to be stated.

Information that blocks two spells, isn't as big or dire as you're making out. But if it helps to sccream and run around and say the sky is falling!! The entire universe is changed, go ahead.

Shark_Force wrote: this is not some minor side-note, this is a major change in how the setting works.

It's so minor as to only be needed to fill one plot hole. All it does is prevent the teleporting and astral scrying of the area inside the ring.

Does nothing else. You can walk across them with out even breaking stride.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Pepsi Jedi wrote:And again, it's stated they didn't dream it up on their own. They got help from 'Someone/somewhere' and even then it took over 60 years.

And even THEN, it counters one, very specific very narrow block. The teleport or astral scrying thing. It's stated clearly you can walk across the rings. Just can't teleport across them.

oh great, i'll put that in my character background and see how that goes with my GM "oh, yes, i know it's normally ridiculous that a first level rogue scholar should have literally every skill in existence at 98%, but he totally had help from someone else so now it's very reasonable" or "sure a +100 to strike rolls is high, but i had help". somehow, i don't think that will go over too well.

also, it doesn't counter one, very specific very narrow block. it is in fact an extremely large block in terms of effects, and one which changes how the entire game works. if you don't believe that, perhaps you should go to the D&D boards and ask what "scry and fry" tactics do to a game, or go to the shadowrun boards and suggest that they should allow teleportation into their games and see how they answer, etc. teleportation and dimensional magic is not just a very small part of magic, it's a very important part that has a lot of effects that change everything, and it's one of the central types of magic in the game to the point where the game is *named* after one form of the magic that it blocks. blocking it out is not a small thing, it's something which the only other known effect that has the same result is a spell of legend.

edit: i find it extremely odd that you just look at the fact that this screws around with any form of interdimensional travel, and any form of teleportation, and think "oh, well that's just a minor change to the setting". there's a reason other RPGs specifically restrict or even disallow this type of ability, and there's a reason it's generally considered to be obscenely overpowered in the systems that don't control it at all. the fact that someone *could* simply destroy chi-town trivially with this kind of spell should be ample proof that this sort of spell *is* a major game-changer and that it DOES change the setting in a big way to limit it. you've already pointed out that it's being used to change the setting in a major way, then in practically the same breath you say it doesn't have a noticeable impact at all.

and really, i don't know how you think the CS are going to hide the fact that they dug up massive rings all over the place shortly before teleportation into CS megacities became impossible. gigantic gaping holes in the ground tend to be fairly noticeable, particularly when they stink of massive amounts of human effluence. and it doesn't take a lot to narrow down the time frame. one day, someone can astral project (a perfectly legal psionic ability which even a law-abiding citizen can use), the next they can't. hey, do you think maybe someone is going to figure out that something changed in the last day? and maybe they'll figure out it's related to that massive hole in the ground that the CS just dug out. or rather, the dozens of massive holes in the ground.
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

I would love to see some of the following books:

RIFTS World Book: Mongolia

RIFTS World Book: Scandinavia (Vikings with mega-damage rail guns? HELL YEAH!!!! Hey Mikey, I think he likes it!)

RIFTS World Book: India

RIFTS World Book: Underground (think deep underground near the earth's core -- tunnels, societies that never see the sun, Morlocks and Eloi, crossed with Zion from the Matrix, crossed with the Underdark)

RIFTS World Book: Sky Kingdom (think Cloud City, Lando Calrissian, above the canopy and clouds, etc.)

RIFTS Dimension Book: Wormwood 2

RIFTS World Book: Persia / Ottoman Empire / The Middle East (think the lost city of Ubar, Marco Polo, trade routes, cyber-camel caravans, bedouin tribes, nomadic peoples, lots of tribal wars, and great golden palaces and raja's and harems and jannissaries and maybe the lost library of Alexandria and Ali Baba and the forty-thieves and Prince of Persia and Lawrence of Arabia -- I would do it almost like planet Arrakis (Dune) with worms and water and Shai-Hulud and stilsuits -- but not steal or copy anything...just rename it -- and some crazy technologies not found anywhere else -- like maybe desert-eco-wizard magic 'n stuff)

Any thoughts? *dons his kevlar underwear* Flame on!
There is no spoon.
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

While I don't have any particular opinion about the anti-teleporting ring, I do have some question for the supporters of it. If it is not unique, why doesn't the Splugorth have it? After all, they have a lot of other advanced weapondry and magic? And if they do have it, why would they not have it deployed in the Splynn Dinensional Market? We know they don't, because in WB 21, it states that they have problems with raiders in the market.

Now, for those of you against this, I refer you to WB 21, page 152. D-Shackles.
WB21 Page 152 wrote:These living shackles have been specially designed to deal
with the multitude of supernatural creatures, creatures of magic, and mages who can teleport and/or travel through the dimensions. This special organism generates a dimensional barrier
which surrounds its captive. The result is a set of Mega-Damage shackles which can prevent its captive from teleporting away or using dimension warping powers of any kind.

So this is no unheard of in the megaverse, as has been stated.
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Shark_Force wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:And again, it's stated they didn't dream it up on their own. They got help from 'Someone/somewhere' and even then it took over 60 years.

oh great, i'll put that in my character background and see how that goes with my GM "oh, yes, i know it's normally ridiculous that a first level rogue scholar should have literally every skill in existence at 98%, but he totally had help from someone else so now it's very reasonable" or "sure a +100 to strike rolls is high, but i had help". somehow, i don't think that will go over too well.

Does your one char have the resources of an entire nation? Oh wait? he doesn't? Imagine that..... :roll:

Shark_Force wrote:
also, it doesn't counter one, very specific very narrow block. it is in fact an extremely large block in terms of effects, and one which changes how the entire game works.

It blocks teleportation, and astral peeking. Nnothing more. Quit acting like there's suddenly no air to breathe on the planet. It's like 4 spells. lol

Shark_Force wrote:
if you don't believe that, perhaps you should go to the D&D boards and ask what "scry and fry" tactics do to a game, or go to the shadowrun boards and suggest that they should allow teleportation into their games and see how they answer, etc. teleportation and dimensional magic is not just a very small part of magic, it's a very important part that has a lot of effects that change everything,

No it's a small thing that jerks like to use to try and 'break' a game, by purposefully going past the intent/intended role of a thing, and twinking it out and using technicalities to ruin a thing. Nothing more. That's why the rings rooster block the twinks, and why they get sooooooooo mad about it and claim it's SOOOOOOOOOOOO game changing. If you wern't going to abuse it, it wouldn't matter that you can't.

Shark_Force wrote:
and it's one of the central types of magic in the game to the point where the game is *named* after one form of the magic that it blocks. blocking it out is not a small thing, it's something which the only other known effect that has the same result is a spell of legend.

Such hyperbolic dramatics. It's two things man. Chill. You're acting like they took an entire race or nation off thhe face of the planet. They put up a teleportation shield. Nothing more.

Shark_Force wrote:
edit: i find it extremely odd that you just look at the fact that this screws around with any form of interdimensional travel, and any form of teleportation, and think "oh, well that's just a minor change to the setting".

Cuz it is. it blocks a 'plot hole' that twinks would abuse. That's all it does. Is stops twinky little idiots from going 'Ok I teleport into the throne room and blow up the CS high command. game's over" type things. You can walk across the rings. It simply blocks a few spells. Nothing more.

Shark_Force wrote:
there's a reason other RPGs specifically restrict or even disallow this type of ability

Because people will abuse it, annd they don't want to hear them cry when they stop them from doing so, so they stop it all together.

Shark_Force wrote:
and there's a reason it's generally considered to be obscenely overpowered in the systems that don't control it at all. the fact that someone *could* simply destroy chi-town trivially with this kind of spell should be ample proof that this sort of spell *is* a major game-changer and that it DOES change the setting in a big way to limit it.

Because jerk players will abuse something doesn't make it a huge deal to prevent. You just stop the jerks. The normal players don't care, as they wouldn't abuse it anyway. It's not stopping it everywhere. it fills a mechanics hole and prevents twinks from affecting the setting in gimpy ways. That's all.

Shark_Force wrote:
you've already pointed out that it's being used to change the setting in a major way, then in practically the same breath you say it doesn't have a noticeable impact at all.

No I point out that it can be ABUSED to hurt the setting. A setting that's been built up for 20 years with out such a thing happening in the game. So clearly something prevents it from happening. This is our answer.

Shark_Force wrote:
and really, i don't know how you think the CS are going to hide the fact that they dug up massive rings all over the place shortly before teleportation into CS megacities became impossible.

Because they didn't.

They installed it in existing sewers. You seem to be under the impression they go out with a back how and lay it like pipe.

you also seem to be under the impression they're so stupid as to just simply turn it on the second after they install it. It took them over 60 YEARS man. Noone sat around these citys or bases for 60 years watching sewer workers andd then some how tied it in to the effect.

Shark_Force wrote:
gigantic gaping holes in the ground tend to be fairly noticeable, particularly when they stink of massive amounts of human effluence.

ALREADY

EXISTING

SEWER

PIPES.

Shark_Force wrote: and it doesn't take a lot to narrow down the time frame. one day, someone can astral project (a perfectly legal psionic ability which even a law-abiding citizen can use), the next they can't. hey, do you think maybe someone is going to figure out that something changed in the last day? and maybe they'll figure out it's related to that massive hole in the ground that the CS just dug out. or rather, the dozens of massive holes in the ground.

Only if your CS is so stupid to do it that way. My 10 year old is sneaker than that. if you honstly think they're that brain dead then sure.

How ever the article states ti took over 60 years to get into place and they were put in existing sewer pipes.

The object probably wasn't turned on for months or years after instellation, for the exact reason of 'We saw people working' must have been that'.

They could have installed it in the pipes, and then razed the burbs two or three times before turning it on. could have installed it and purposefully waited 5 years, just to throw people off the scent. It took over 60 years to develop, but you think they're so stupid they'd drive out,, in plain sight of everyone, dig a hole, put it in there and turn it on that second?

That's not dumb of them Shark.... that's dumb of you.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Witchcraft wrote:I would love to see some of the following books:

RIFTS World Book: Scandinavia (Vikings with mega-damage rail guns? HELL YEAH!!!! Hey Mikey, I think he likes it!)

RIFTS World Book: Underground (think deep underground near the earth's core -- tunnels, societies that never see the sun, Morlocks and Eloi, crossed with Zion from the Matrix, crossed with the Underdark)

RIFTS World Book: Sky Kingdom (think Cloud City, Lando Calrissian, above the canopy and clouds, etc.)

RIFTS World Book: Persia / Ottoman Empire / The Middle East (think the lost city of Ubar, Marco Polo, trade routes, cyber-camel caravans, bedouin tribes, nomadic peoples, lots of tribal wars, and great golden palaces and raja's and harems and jannissaries and maybe the lost library of Alexandria and Ali Baba and the forty-thieves and Prince of Persia and Lawrence of Arabia -- I would do it almost like planet Arrakis (Dune) with worms and water and Shai-Hulud and stilsuits -- but not steal or copy anything...just rename it -- and some crazy technologies not found anywhere else -- like maybe desert-eco-wizard magic 'n stuff)

I think.... and I've only heard it here so.... grain of salt and all.. but I think that palladium has come out and said they're not touching India or Persia/Ottoman empire/middle east with a 20 foot cattle prod. That it's just way way way too volitile for them to touch. ANYTHING they do will **** off so much religious stuff that theyy're just ignoring it. Or rather it's a 'You decide, we've got 500 other world books we can make before we have to do that... so we're going to do them first"

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

strtkwr wrote: While I don't have any particular opinion about the anti-teleporting ring, I do have some question for the supporters of it. If it is not unique, why doesn't the Splugorth have it? After all, they have a lot of other advanced weapondry and magic? And if they do have it, why would they not have it deployed in the Splynn Dinensional Market? We know they don't, because in WB 21, it states that they have problems with raiders in the market.

My guess would be that they do have it, but Splynn D market is built around the access and dimensional teleporting, and the teleoportation of many of it's speices. So it'd hobble more than help. Remember, Big S has so many troops and stuff that it's absurd. The forces he has on earth are such a small tip of the spear that it's laughable. If they get raided, they just pour toops on it. chase um off then clean up and go about their day. It's like the kids that run up and throw rocks over the fence at US military bases over seas. Annoying? Yeah. Could a rock hurt someone? Sure, but are you going to build a 500 foot wall to keep the kids from chucking a few rocks? naa. Too much effort for too little return, and that 500 foot wall would hinder YOUR travel in and out, for a small return of lack of rocks.

strtkwr wrote:
Now, for those of you against this, I refer you to WB 21, page 152. D-Shackles.
WB21 Page 152 wrote:These living shackles have been specially designed to deal
with the multitude of supernatural creatures, creatures of magic, and mages who can teleport and/or travel through the dimensions. This special organism generates a dimensional barrier
which surrounds its captive. The result is a set of Mega-Damage shackles which can prevent its captive from teleporting away or using dimension warping powers of any kind.

So this is no unheard of in the megaverse, as has been stated.

Ahh. Thank you. :) If it can be done on something as small as cuffs,it can be done on something bigger.

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

1. Rifts: India scares the CRAP outta me. That place had mention of the British legation having been eaten by demons...in the HISTORICAL RECORD. God KNOWS what'd happen in Rifts earth!
2. I'd love to see Chi Town.
3. I'd love to see Lazlo.

My realistic fave has already been done. VK!

:)

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Ohhh that's an intresting query...

Rifts, "Coalition States"

It'd be a 'mega source book' 352 pages. It'd cover...

1) The history of the CS. From inception to modern times.
2) Major battles, both won and loss, included in that history.
3) The states, each, detailed and profiled, with maps of each state, and the cities, both mega and normal therein.
4) Details on the mega cities.
5) An entire chapter on Chi-town.
6) CS society, how the average CS person lives (( both mega city and otherwise)) this can include living conditions, equipment, entertainment, propiganda, ect
7) Main CS movers and shakers. The high command. The Prosecks, ect.
8) Plans for advancement, what the CS is working on, what they have up their sleevs for the near future.
9) Updated (( if needed)) OOC compilation towards the end.
10) Include the stuff from the Coalition Edge Rifter, The stuff on the Rift control and study group, the new city information.
11) Explain, in Canon, why the entire "Just teleport in with a bomb and blow up chi town" Doesn't work... IN The rifts universe, IN canon. (( These are covered in number 10, but I wanna put it here for big bold "So people will shut up about it" bullet point.
12) CS threat Analysis. How the CS views the powers around them. Lazlo. New Lazlo. Merc town, Pecos, FQ, New Navy, the Shemerrians, The Cyber knights, Atlantis, NGR, ect. Views on these enemies or possible enemies, and any plans for the future. Doesn't have to go into huge details bug give some story hooks..

Yes 352 pages and hard cover :D
The Dragon Has Spoken
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

I think.... and I've only heard it here so.... grain of salt and all.. but I think that palladium has come out and said they're not touching India or Persia/Ottoman empire/middle east with a 20 foot cattle prod. That it's just way way way too volitile for them to touch. ANYTHING they do will **** off so much religious stuff that theyy're just ignoring it. Or rather it's a 'You decide, we've got 500 other world books we can make before we have to do that... so we're going to do them first"

Palladium has decided not to a Middle East book. India is still on the table and always has been AFAIK.

~ Josh
Shark_Force
Palladin

edit: bah, too long of a rant for this topic (which you started by making an argument and then telling us we weren't supposed to try to discuss your argument). i'll try it in point form.

- you claim there is no noticeable change caused by the article, then claim they had to introduce the stuff in the article because the stuff it blocks has such a major impact. well which is it? major impact or no impact? pick one if you wish to retain any credibility.

- this doesn't even fix the holes you insist are simultaneously there and not there. what did the CS do before the rings when they still had lots of enemies that used magic, including teleportation magic, and hated them?

- there are simple, obvious ways to gain information that make information security ludicrously hard in rifts earth. keeping a secret that involved a lot of resources, time, and workers being spent is not plausible. in some cases, methods of gaining information don't even require anything more than a minor psychic who has the right psychic powers.

- the splugorth are ancient creatures that control multiple planets each and have billions of minions each, and can (and most likely did) use non-technological means to create their solution to the problem... in a *living* creature which it is entirely possible they merely *found*, and which is very likely to be using either magical, psionic, or other supernatural means to generate the field. it does mean someone else has the ability, but it remains extremely rare and we still aren't dealing with any indication that any of the other technological powers (of which many are so large as to make the CS look like your six guys in a hut by comparison) have such capabilities.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Witchcraft wrote:

i can state with 98% certainty that the upcoming RIFTS: Scandinavia worldbook will not have that.
the 2% margin of error comes from not knowing what kevin S. might choose to add to Bradon Aten's and My work.

you'll enjoy what is in there anyway, i assure you.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Dream Rifts Book.....

Actually, I have a dream Palladium Books structure that is far more amusing.

1 - Palladium Core Rules; this book has no fluff, OCCs, RCCs, PCCs, or any 'CCs'. Just raw rules data complete with skills, human stats and qualities, and modern (only) equipment.
2 - Palladium Core Rifts; this book has the general fluff of Rifts, and contains the iconic races, 'CCs', equipment, and Rifts-specific skills, as well as the setting mechanics (which include chance to be psychic and mega-damage).
3 - Palladium Rifts World Books; these would contain only 'CCs' and races specific to their region (stuff found in the core book would only be mentioned and not reprinted), as well as equipment and fluff for that region.
4 - Palladium Rifts Timeline; this book would detail major setting events, such as the rise and fall of the mechanoids, the siege and subsequent destruction of Tolkeen, the NGR/gargoyle war, etc..., with a new book coming out every 10 or so WBs (ie: TimelineII, III, etc... ). These books would be basically only fluff, but they should also contain errata on everything they've covered.

That's the book(s) I want.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Shark_Force wrote: edit: bah, too long of a rant for this topic (which you started by making an argument and then telling us we weren't supposed to try to discuss your argument). i'll try it in point form.

No, I made a book request, others jumped in to try and debate a point of my request. I suggested if you wanted to do that a different thread might work better instead of cluttering this one. I was ignored, so I replied.

Shark_Force wrote:
- you claim there is no noticeable change caused by the article, then claim they had to introduce the stuff in the article because the stuff it blocks has such a major impact. well which is it? major impact or no impact? pick one if you wish to retain any credibility.

No. I claimed it filled a rule hole. You're the one screaming that the sky is falling and the entire megaverse is changed with such a drastic change and oh whoa is you. I just laugh.

It's a hole in logistics that PLAYERS will try and cheat to exploit. In character, clearly the people able to, don't, as it hasn't been done.

It's a 'rules hole" and a "Hole for Jerks to cause trouble through" not a dramatic change. The fix was simple and it took care of the problem.

Shark_Force wrote:
- this doesn't even fix the holes you insist are simultaneously there and not there. what did the CS do before the rings when they still had lots of enemies that used magic, including teleportation magic, and hated them?

They fought really hard. And took alot of casualties. Remember, before the CS rose to power, the other power blocks were not all powerful either. The CS rose up out of the ashes of the dark ages. The other groups didn't have their sh!t together yet either. The Federaton of Magic came and caused a ruckus. Killed alot of people and prosek rolled out to kick alot of ass, (( against all odds)) and kicked their butts up around their shoulders. This got them breathing room. They did suffer some problems till they got the rings developed and up.

Shark_Force wrote:
- there are simple, obvious ways to gain information that make information security ludicrously hard in rifts earth. keeping a secret that involved a lot of resources, time, and workers being spent is not plausible. in some cases, methods of gaining information don't even require anything more than a minor psychic who has the right psychic powers.

The CS has psychics as well. They have Mind melters. And they have hundreds of thousands of major psychic dog boys. And the power of an entire government. Your average Psychic on the out side doesn't have that.

Your argument is basically like saying "A single person can be highly trained and smart!" Well yes, They surely can be. But that doesn't mean he's getting into the CIA to read all their top secret files. There are other governments on OUR earth that would love to get into the CIA and read files but even they can't pull it off. A few random terrorists aren't going to do it.

Shark_Force wrote:
- the splugorth are ancient creatures that control multiple planets each and have billions of minions each, and can (and most likely did) use non-technological means to create their solution to the problem... in a *living* creature which it is entirely possible they merely *found*, and which is very likely to be using either magical, psionic, or other supernatural means to generate the field. it does mean someone else has the ability, but it remains extremely rare and we still aren't dealing with any indication that any of the other technological powers (of which many are so large as to make the CS look like your six guys in a hut by comparison) have such capabilities.

So your argument is, "One group can do it, but you think it's rare so another group can't do it"?

Mmmmm naa. if one group can not only do it, but miniaturize the tech to be hand held, it's not that hard to do for another group with super advanced technology to pull off.

It's surely not something you pick up at the 7-11, but more than one group has the tech. Clearly, including the CS.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Witchcraft wrote:

i can state with 98% certainty that the upcoming RIFTS: Scandinavia worldbook will not have that.
the 2% margin of error comes from not knowing what kevin S. might choose to add to Bradon Aten's and My work.

No vikings with railguns?

This doesn't sound nearly as good..... What's it got, if the Vikings don't have railguns??

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Dog_O_War wrote:Dream Rifts Book.....

1 - Palladium Core Rules; this book has no fluff, OCCs, RCCs, PCCs, or any 'CCs'. Just raw rules data complete with skills, human stats and qualities, and modern (only) equipment.
2 - Palladium Core Rifts; this book has the general fluff of Rifts, and contains the iconic races, 'CCs', equipment, and Rifts-specific skills, as well as the setting mechanics (which include chance to be psychic and mega-damage).
3 - Palladium Rifts World Books; these would contain only 'CCs' and races specific to their region (stuff found in the core book would only be mentioned and not reprinted), as well as equipment and fluff for that region.
4 - Palladium Rifts Timeline; this book would detail major setting events, such as the rise and fall of the mechanoids, the siege and subsequent destruction of Tolkeen, the NGR/gargoyle war, etc..., with a new book coming out every 10 or so WBs (ie: TimelineII, III, etc... ). These books would be basically only fluff, but they should also contain errata on everything they've covered.

Your wants would seriously cut into sales, as some players would just get the 'gear' books and leave the fluff alone as all they want is 'epik lootz' and 'moor gunz!!" and the lack of fluff to tie things together would make everything very choppy.

The other half of the contengent would complain about having to buy two books to get both the crunch and the fluff of any one setting.

I get what you're going for. The 'Al-a-cart' approach, but it would fragment the system more and cut profits.

As for the "Timeline" They've done that with "Rifts Aftermath" and it's one of the best books they've put out in a LONG time. I agree they should put one out every so often, but sadly the world hasn't moved that much forward since Aftermath was published.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
Witchcraft wrote:

No vikings with railguns?

This doesn't sound nearly as good..... What's it got, if the Vikings don't have railguns??

civilized scandinavians with guns. much better, since they know how to use them.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Witchcraft wrote:

Any chance of Viking Kittens? :clown:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

TheWay wrote:

Awesome ideas

Thank you!

I also had a strange idea for a RIFTS book that I hadn't heard of before --

RIFTS Caribbean -- Some stuff was touched on in South America and some stuff was touched on in Atlantis, Underseas, CS Navy, and even in Dino Swamp -- but nothing that really captures the flavor of the ISLANDS!

I would do voodoo magic, santeria, pirate-factions / holdings, buried treasure, mutiny on the bounty, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Kraken, Cthulu, steel-drum magic, tropical drugs, mercenary companies, plantations, haciendas, the mayan riviera and slavery.
There is no spoon.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Your wants would seriously cut into sales, as some players would just get the 'gear' books and leave the fluff alone as all they want is 'epik lootz' and 'moor gunz!!" and the lack of fluff to tie things together would make everything very choppy.

You clearly didn't read what I said. I would requote myself, but you already have done that. To paraphrase,"...as well as equipment and fluff for that region." (resized for the blind).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Witchcraft wrote:
TheWay wrote:

Awesome ideas

Thank you!

RIFTS Caribbean -- Some stuff was touched on in South America and some stuff was touched on in Atlantis, Underseas, CS Navy, and even in Dino Swamp -- but nothing that really captures the flavor of the ISLANDS!

I would do voodoo magic, santeria, pirate-factions / holdings, buried treasure, mutiny on the bounty, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Kraken, Cthulu, steel-drum magic, tropical drugs, mercenary companies, plantations, haciendas, the mayan riviera and slavery.

Not trying to rain on your idea or anything, but with the reappearance of Atlantis, and the raising water levels, wouldn't most of the Caribbean islands be underwater? They're hardly above water now. I know much of my home stat (( NC)) is gone along with the entire outter banks barrier islands. I'd think the poor (( Literaly and figerativly) Caribbean would suffer much the same fate.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Dog_O_War wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

You clearly didn't read what I said. I would requote myself, but you already have done that. To paraphrase,"...as well as equipment and fluff for that region." (resized for the blind).

Um did you rread what you said?

"
Dog_O_War wrote: 1- Palladium Core Rules; this book has no fluff, OCCs, RCCs, PCCs, or any 'CCs'. Just raw rules data complete with skills, human stats and qualities, and modern (only) equipment.

"This book has NO FLUFF.

Then a seperate one...
Dog_O_War wrote:
2 - Palladium Core Rifts; this book has the general fluff of Rifts,

This book has the general fluff......

So..... like I said.. and like YOU SAID for your own blind self..... two books. One containing rules. One containing fluff....... DERP..... Don't bite my head off because you forgot what you typed. My point stands. If you produce one with all the crunch and one with all the fluff. You'll have people that would buy one or the other but not both, and that would lead to very choppy play.

If you split it up with "One rule book" then "general setting books" you perturb the players. They then have to buy two books to have what they need to play.

White wolf tried it with thier 'new world of darkness' and it pissed off alot of people, and didn't work out the way they wanted, to the end of having to sell bundles at discounted prices to get their new stuff going.... and players having to carry around two books just for base game mechanics. One 'base base' book and one system base book.

Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Witchcraft wrote:
TheWay wrote:

Awesome ideas

Thank you!

Not trying to rain on your idea or anything, but with the reappearance of Atlantis, and the raising water levels, wouldn't most of the Caribbean islands be underwater? They're hardly above water now. I know much of my home stat (( NC)) is gone along with the entire outter banks barrier islands. I'd think the poor (( Literaly and figerativly) Caribbean would suffer much the same fate.

Hmm...rain on my parade? Naw! It's all good. Raising the water levels raises a good point! How about Polynesia? Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Bora Bora, maybe some of the Carib ideas can be used there? Maybe as far East as Hawaii? I really like the tropical feeling of the islands and I just haven't felt that captured in any of the little snippets I've read.

What about a RIFTS: Madagascar? Did they do it enough justice in Africa?
There is no spoon.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Witchcraft wrote:Hmm...rain on my parade? Naw! It's all good. Raising the water levels raises a good point! How about Polynesia? Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Bora Bora, maybe some of the Carib ideas can be used there? Maybe as far East as Hawaii? I really like the tropical feeling of the islands and I just haven't felt that captured in any of the little snippets I've read.

What about a RIFTS: Madagascar? Did they do it enough justice in Africa?

Maybe the raised PPE levels around the islands have raised the islands themselves to float in the skies and can only be accessed now by airships and such. Maybe theres ley line bridges connecting the islands for those who cant fly etc etc etc.

Edit: P.S. I know thats not a list of books I'd like I was getting confused as to which trail of questioning this thread was about (Am I schizo? No your not. Ok, thanks).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Oh wow I love that idea! Ley Line Bridges and an interconnected series of "floating" islands in the sky -- like the Halleluja Mountains in Avatar! I think that's an AWESOME idea!
There is no spoon.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Yeah my mind went instantly to Avatar or the floating islands of Negrand as well. I wonder if Palladium would risk the possibility of lawsuit.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Off topic again but I believe Kevin said he actual had some floating islands planned for a new part of Palladium Fantasy's world... But then Avatar came out with Danzi lookalikes and floating lands and it would look like a rip off.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The dream rifts book I'd have is..

Is the one that they stop making rubbish rifts books for a year and put out books for all of PB's other settings.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:So..... like I said.. and like YOU SAID for your own blind self..... two books. One containing rules. One containing fluff....... DERP..... Don't bite my head off because you forgot what you typed.

I apologize for the misinterpretation on my part; you hadn't been specific, so I assumed that you were addressing only the setting and world books, as you had mentioned a separation of fluff and crunch, and then mentioned 'gear books', which had pertained solely to those two things, as I did not say the core palladium book would contain all equipment, only modern (as a sort of default for our own real era).
To expand on that, there are no 'gear books', there are only the books that are setting-specific, which contain setting information and gear information for a specific area. The Timelines books are not merely a summary book, but also contain new fluff, and even then it still contains both fluff and crunch, as they have errata.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:My point stands. If you produce one with all the crunch and one with all the fluff. You'll have people that would buy one or the other but not both, and that would lead to very choppy play.

I disagree with your point, and find it wrong for the following reasons;
a. That is an extra book (a universal core book) that everyone would buy (which gives a standard of play throughout the settings), and then the setting books would also be a must for each setting, as they contain rules specific to their setting, and not simply all the rules as they do now.

b. People already pick and choose through the additional books, so that is a non-point when trying to draw a parallel between sales of books that contain an abundance of either fluff or crunch, and a famine of the other.

c. I have offered a structure that in-fact includes more books than palladium currently offers. More product means more sales.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:If you split it up with "One rule book" then "general setting books" you perturb the players. They then have to buy two books to have what they need to play.

It perturbs players more when you buy one book thinking you can play with only that, then find out the book itself is incomplete and that you must seek other sources for the information and additional books required to play.

Also, a three-book requirement has worked wonderfully for many years for Dungeons and Dragons, which I will mention is the original model for roleplaying games, and has survived with an increasing profit margin for more than 30 years. I will concede that some of that profit margin may be due in-part to its popularity, but surely some of that success has to do with the products and how they are produced, as hey have not changed that structure for three decades. I will submit that as proof actually, that a multi-book model does not perturb the consumer fan-base, as people simply buy what they need to play.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:White wolf tried it with thier 'new world of darkness' and it pissed off alot of people, and didn't work out the way they wanted, to the end of having to sell bundles at discounted prices to get their new stuff going.... and players having to carry around two books just for base game mechanics. One 'base base' book and one system base book.

The only explanation I can offer for the WW model failing is that WW players are typically both hipsters and snobs (from my experience), and see 'their' game as an 'indie' one that should not follow the typical structure ;)

That said, there are more examples I can offer of multi-book success if you require it to change your viewpoint on the matter.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Finegael
D-Bee

Unread post by Finegael »

I would wish for:

* Rifts: China 3 (Chinese Magic)
* Rifts: Australia 2 (Australian Magic)
* Rifts: Antarctica (secret forgotten cities and research stations, 2 millenium tree at the poles, Lake Vostok, ice dragons)
* Rifts: Polynesia (Easter Islands, taboos, cannibalism, surfing,)
* Rifts: Lazlo
* Rifts: India
* Rifts: Phoenix Empire (and more on Ancient Egyptian Magic and Gods)
* Rifts: Himalaya (Yetis, Rahu-Man, Shangri-La, Monasteries)
* Rifts: Hollow World (Underground Cities, Giant Caves)
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Finegael wrote:I would wish for:

* Rifts: Antarctica (secret forgotten cities and research stations, 2 millenium tree at the poles, Lake Vostok, ice dragons)

Believe it or not, there are official palladium surfing rules in print already. lol

strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Believe it or not, there are official palladium surfing rules in print already. lol

You're kidding, right? What book?
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
Genhuman
Wanderer

Unread post by Genhuman »

strtkwr wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

You're kidding, right? What book?

Starts on page 16 of "Turtles Go Hollywood."
My mother was a test tube, my father was a knife.

More human than human.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Yep. Fun little book. The "Surfing contest" with some LA surfers and the turtles (( or your player group)) and it gives rules for it.

Robotech_Elder
Wanderer

Unread post by Robotech_Elder »

My Dream List

Rifts: Arabia (too much magical stories to ignore)
Rifts: Korea
Rifts: Underseas 2 ( I want more info on Lord of the Deep and Captain Nemo)
Rifts: West Coast Region (North America)
Rifts: Japan 2
Another take at the mechanoids advance into the Rifts world.
A Sourcebook just on ARCHIE and Calgary Rifts
and anything else Finegael wrote.
For the Glory of the Zentraedi and Khyron!!

Return to “Rifts®”