So uh why dont we have a net game going?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: So uh why dont we have a net game going?

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

A limited "we" does have one going. At least I know of one ongoing NB game online and I'd imagine there's more.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

All of the games I've seen start up lately seem to fizzle out before it gets off the ground. I've pretty much lost hope in all online games. :-?
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

That sucks. The one I'm thinking of has been going a while, El Magico's running it.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

It's always the people issues that kill online games these days.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

I'd be totally in on one if someone started one <.<
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Why not be proactive and start your own game?
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Jockitch74 wrote:Why not be proactive and start your own game?

Something tells me that this is his reason:
The Last Darkness wrote:Id like to play but I dont have the time to host a game on any regular basis, Anyone intrested in starting one?

I mean it was only mention in the OP...
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Jedrious wrote:
Jockitch74 wrote:Why not be proactive and start your own game?

Something tells me that this is his reason:
The Last Darkness wrote:Id like to play but I dont have the time to host a game on any regular basis, Anyone intrested in starting one?

I mean it was only mention in the OP...

True, but at the same time, can't expect somebody else to run a game based on his time schedule either.
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

And this is why Play by Post works so well. If the action gets slow its okay, its not like you're going to lose your place :)
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

MikelAmroni wrote:And this is why Play by Post works so well. If the action gets slow its okay, its not like you're going to lose your place :)

the drawback is that you can wind up with a few people being extremely dominant posters, going back and forth constantly, while other people who don't have as much time to sit around and check their inbox every 10 seconds wind up feeling like extras in a movie. it's very disheartening to check the boards and discover that your character has apparently been sitting on their butt for 4 pages worth of stuff.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Shark_Force wrote:
MikelAmroni wrote:And this is why Play by Post works so well. If the action gets slow its okay, its not like you're going to lose your place :)

the drawback is that you can wind up with a few people being extremely dominant posters, going back and forth constantly, while other people who don't have as much time to sit around and check their inbox every 10 seconds wind up feeling like extras in a movie. it's very disheartening to check the boards and discover that your character has apparently been sitting on their butt for 4 pages worth of stuff.

Sounds like you were in a poorly run free form game. This a common problem especially when the board was essentially created by for a core of hardcore posters.

Personally the best example of how to run a Play by Post is probably Explorers Unlimited... especially the Other Worlds section.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Slight001 wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

Sounds like you were in a poorly run free form game. This a common problem especially when the board was essentially created by for a core of hardcore posters.

Personally the best example of how to run a Play by Post is probably Explorers Unlimited... especially the Other Worlds section.

the problem *can* be limited, but i've yet to ever see *any* game played where different posting speed didn't have some sort of effect in a PbP. i suppose it could work fine if you have a group that specifically all spend about the same amount of time on the boards... but at that point, it almost becomes better to just run a chat program instead imo.

but i suppose it *could* be possible to restrict the number of times you post per day, or only allow each person to post every so often... but ultimately, unless everything passes through a central person or something like that, you're likely going to have at least *some* degree of what i just described.
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

Nightbane
Esoteric Espionage

"At several locations all across the United States unknown assailants attacked students and teachers at their schools. It's a tragedy that no one wants to think about.. and, ironically, the average person doesn't know about it. The group used military grade weapons and their pattern during these attacks suggests the groups skill lies somewhere in advanced infantry tactics."

"So, why is it that this can go unnoticed? That's our doing. We've purposely kept this quiet so you can operate unimpeded. Someone is targeting schools of magic. And we want you find out who, or what, they are."

"May your own skill see you through this."

-------------------------
-------------------------

Hello.

I guess I'm willing to try and get something together. I've spoken briefly with Hibik about a Nightbane game and, well, here I am.

I'm not sure how long this will last. I'm not promising an epic campaign. I imagine we'll see how well the group sticks together in the first few sessions. If it falls apart, it falls apart. I'm not going to ride people. I'm here to have fun. Plus, I don't have a great track record myself. Being honest. I have school and a life but I will work with everyone to come up with a day and a time that will work for everyone. If something comes up, I will try and get notice out as soon as I am aware of the situation.

I've been trying to come up with a fun adventure. So far my thoughts are on a low-to-mid powered game. Nightbane is a fantastic setting but it can easily get silly when people REALLY stack on the different morphus options. Don't power game this. I love roleplaying not rollplaying.

Now, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good scrap or two. I'm not going to ignore combat. Not at all. This game will focus around blatant attacks against schools of mages. But that's at the surface level. The true story is what you find around each corner and what people know and are hiding.

I came up with this blurb just a few moment ago. I don't have a complete story worked out. I'll be working on fleshing it out and giving the group a rich environment to play in. The game may not start for a bit. This will be helpful for those who want to write up characters that mesh well with the game.

Thoughts about my Nightbane Earth:
- The Nightlords don't have as large of a presence/foothold in the world. They're still working on getting their agents into places of power. They are currently conflicting with the various Vampire clans.
- Vampire's have a larger presence than the Nightlords at the moment. They've been operating on Earth for far longer and they've managed to cement some of their people into high places. Individual clans have weakened over the ages, and now with the threat of the Nightlords they're scrambling to strengthen their ranks and weed out the decadence that has plagued the newer generations of vampires. They are currently busy with these inner-clan purges and reorganization.

Here are some primary points I would like players to keep in mind:
- It has been schools of Magic that were attacked. Thus, the few Nightbane and Psychics need to have a reason to be allowed on the team.
A thought is that a Nightbane faction could be allied with some of the individuals within the schools. They have asked for the Nightbanes assistance in the investigation. It is very possible the perpetrators of these attacks were the Nightlords which could be the primary reason for bringing in a Nightbane ally.
- I'm looking at Mages to make up the bulk of this team. They're the ones who have been hit and want to retaliate. The wallflower Mage will probably be overlooked for a Combat Mage when this team was assembled.
- Psychics. They're GREAT investigators. Just saying.
- Non-Powered allies are also welcomed. Especially if they either have good sleuthing skills or military experience to lend to the team.

- Edit: I'm not trying to be mean here, but don't play the fence and go the route of a Nightbane Sorcerer. If I do end up having one in my game, it will be the only one. I will be more likely to accept other unique characters.

-----------------------------
-----------------------------

Please, comments and questions are welcomed!

Thanks,

- Joseph.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

I'd be all for it. Soon as I figure out what to play. What say the rest of you?
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Would it be best to set a Time of day to play, and go to the PB Chat rooms to play ?
Isn't that why they exist ?

List Day, Time (Eastern, Pacific, whatever...) and let us meet up in the chats.

Or we could Start a Thread Here to play, i guess.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

TechnoGothic wrote:Would it be best to set a Time of day to play, and go to the PB Chat rooms to play ?
Isn't that why they exist ?

List Day, Time (Eastern, Pacific, whatever...) and let us meet up in the chats.

Or we could Start a Thread Here to play, i guess.

If you're referring to my game, I would like to get a sense of what you're playing first.

If you just have a character idea, send me a PM and we can talk about it.

If you already have a character rolled up that you want to use, send me a copy of the sheet that I can look over.

My email is jokers.wild.designs at gmail.com

Days that work well for me are Tuesday and Thursday. Though I do have a game Thursdays, but it starts later in the night. Friday or Saturday nights may work, but we'll see.

Thanks,

- Joseph.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Game closed for now.

Happy with the amount of player interest I've received.

If a spot opens up, I'll advertise.

Please refer to this post for more information:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=121077&p=2325632#p2323594

Please ask questions if you have them.

Thanks,

- Joseph.

X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

Shark_Force wrote:
Slight001 wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

the problem *can* be limited, but i've yet to ever see *any* game played where different posting speed didn't have some sort of effect in a PbP. i suppose it could work fine if you have a group that specifically all spend about the same amount of time on the boards... but at that point, it almost becomes better to just run a chat program instead imo.

but i suppose it *could* be possible to restrict the number of times you post per day, or only allow each person to post every so often... but ultimately, unless everything passes through a central person or something like that, you're likely going to have at least *some* degree of what i just described.

Yes. PbP can be problematic with posters of different scedules, or who work long on/off periods.

We do a PbEM and the GM is the bottleneck, getting all te posts to send back out. Also many of the players are off doing their own thing unless something big comes up in which we all get together. That can slowa already slow game to a standstill with a couple of people offline due to RL emergencies, such as response preparations due to Japan's terrible quake.

The advantages of PbP over PbEM are that you can have outsiders follow it, even if they find it late in the game. It isalso less effort on the GM to send off messages as most would go out to everyone. In PbEMs such as ours,we do not always know who is doing what unless we are with them or have been contacted, which can be hard in another dimension :)
Bones
Wanderer
Location: Beaverton, Oregon, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group

Unread post by Bones »

So I guess this game fizzled out too. Can somebody else please pick it up? Please? I can't GM. I have other responsibilities first.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I might be able to run a game if enough people are interested.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Bones
Wanderer
Location: Beaverton, Oregon, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group

Unread post by Bones »

YES! YES! YES!!!! Interested over here please! One person interested is enough for a solo game right? That is if nobody else wants in. Sorry, desperate much? yes I am.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I was thinking 3 or 4 people, after Dark Day. Also, just to let you know I include Trustrum's were creatures and occs that go along with them and an immortal swordsman rcc. Also several rccs from a handful of Rifters/all the nightbane books. How would you like the game to be run?

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

sounds good to me. I already have a couple of characters rolled up. A Nightbane with the Net Demon OCC and also a Geomantic Immortal. Not really sure where you would want the game to be set in. The nightbane is Canadian and the immortal is British.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

What book is the net demon occ from... I'm going to need to look at that to approve it.

Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

Net Demon (Rifter #2, pps. 48-50)
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Anybody else?

Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

Joseph Kerr has also reopened his game for any interested upon his return.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I know I would be, I'd much rather play than gm.

Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

ok. I signed up for that game, too. So we can all play that game instead.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Starting a NB campaign on Mondays 7pm PST, OpenRPG, Blackstar Server, be there or be a doppleganger
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

Shoud we submit a character or approval first or just show up with a character?
Jedrious
Adventurer

Was intending to do character generation on Monday, I'll review characters if submitted earlier, game is starting at the advent of Dark Day
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

I sent a private message with the character sheet and a link to picture.
Jedrious
Adventurer

I received it, I am not able to review at the moment, I have 4 1/2 hours left on a 24 hour shift, once I get sleep I can review
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

So, what do you think? Will that character be acceptable?
Jedrious
Adventurer

Ok, it works, unless we have multiple people with cyberjacking abilities, all of that stuff will have to be in the background (I can work in a few adventures that they can be done simultaneously with non-cyberjacking people, but it will not be the norm), wouldn't be fair to everyone else to just sit and watch an adventure in cyberspace wasting their whole session
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

Well, I was not thinking that whole adventures would be taking place in cyberspace. I was just thinking that it was a skill to unlock security doors or steal info out of computers or teleport myself across the city instantly via the telephone wires.
Jedrious
Adventurer

I understand the usefulness outside of Cyberjacking, I was just clarifying in case you were looking for a Cyberjacking game (which would be fun, I admit, just not this time)
Jedrious
Adventurer

game cancelled due to work schedule change
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

Really? We couldn't even get started before failure happened again? Couldn't we just play on another night? Is there anybody else the can take over as GM? Maybe we could play-by-post. Then your work schedule wouldn't be an issue. Somebody? Please! I'm dieing over here. I've had these character rolled up for more than a year already and I haven't even been able to use them.
Jedrious
Adventurer

my schedule will be changing after the 1st to something more stable, I will reevaluate then
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

Hell yeah! If it's Nightbane I want in.
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

Jedrious or Jackson Hawke: It's almost a week after the new year. Le's get this thing started. I know there are others that want to play too.
Jedrious
Adventurer

I have been putting in 96 hour weeks for the last month, I'm not in a position to join, much less run anything.
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

So, Jackson, how's it going? Are we any closer to getting that game started after another week? What is the name of the Yahoo group you will be starting?

Return to “Nightbane®”