SPLICERS: Unleashed Discussions thread

I would like to introduce everyone to the 1st “Splicers: Unleashed” contest and the havoc that will reign form henceforth in this epic & awesome RPG. This is a submissions contest where you will get a chance to get your imaginative visions brought to life as an optional contribution to the Splicers setting. I wanted to bring some spice for this setting and open the floodgates for your imaginations to be stimulated like none before. This is a contest where EVERYONE can take part and submit, judge & market their most creative, deadly and wicked ideas for Splicers. - Premier aka Chuck Walton

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Re: SPLICERS: Unleashed Discussions thread

Unread post by Premier »

Lord Z & Kevarin are absolutely correct. I wish that more people could post and vote for this contest so that we can see a higher turn out and more discussion on each idea. I will likely begin with some inquiries for numerous Entries to learn more about the ideas. Clock-punk please don't be disappointed yet as this contest is not over and there may be another chance for these Entries.

On another note, Lord Z, you are absolutely corect about the similarities in the niches being filled. It does raise an eye-brow for me as to what holes are being filled or recognized and what other possibilities could be revealed. What I found interesting is that with the Dark Kraken fleet being mentioned in the intro, many (not all) of the submissions to seem to be amphibious in nature versus land/aerial based constructs. Is this because posters felt there is a need for more amphibious designs or was it because of the origination of the designs being released from the Krakens? Just curious.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

In need of establishing some lead ranks (tie breakers), not the turn Out I was seeking (sigh) and for the honest reason that there are just so many great ideas to choose from, I uped the vote count to (4). So we all have a 2 additional votes to utilize. This should make things interesting...
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

Premier wrote:Lord Z & Kevarin are absolutely correct. I wish that more people could post and vote for this contest so that we can see a higher turn out and more discussion on each idea. I will likely begin with some inquiries for numerous Entries to learn more about the ideas. Clock-punk please don't be disappointed yet as this contest is not over and there may be another chance for these Entries.

On another note, Lord Z, you are absolutely corect about the similarities in the niches being filled. It does raise an eye-brow for me as to what holes are being filled or recognized and what other possibilities could be revealed. What I found interesting is that with the Dark Kraken fleet being mentioned in the intro, many (not all) of the submissions to seem to be amphibious in nature versus land/aerial based constructs. Is this because posters felt there is a need for more amphibious designs or was it because of the origination of the designs being released from the Krakens? Just curious.

the intro made it sound like these were massive sea invasions like D-day in ww2 allso as long as your troops and warmounts are under water it limits the fire the machien can bring against them so amphibious troops sounded like a good idea.
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Hey Splice-heads!
I know with post, texts and emails things can come off sort of different than how you actually meant them and I want to clarify just in case my previous post was being misinterpreted, that I wasn’t complaining about so many amphibious designs. I am actually intrigued at the pattern and wondered if it was caused by the Krakens being mentioned or of this was a hole in the Resistance that the fans felt needed to be filled better like Lord Z mentioned. See when we designed the Amphibious Host Armor on the Rifter#50, it was developed by accident actually as it was originally Biotic. Slappy said if there is a GB on cover to represent Rifts, a Dragon for Fantasy, a Vampire for Nightbane, then we needed to have a Dreadguard for Splicers to balance the power-scheme being showcased. When the Amphibious ideas revealed themselves, it does get the gears turning as to what else could be created and useful. So to see so many amphibious designs pour forth, than perhaps this new era of Biotech is what needed to surface.
Regarding the Nightmares, SLB, man… I am already envisioning the possibilities with them, especially the Gargoyles as they can be awesome additions utilizing the Slipstreams propulsion systems for underwater flight and I don’t want to give away what I am thinking for the Wolves as I don’t know what is going to win in this Contest, whew!
Kevarin, I whole-heartedly agree with you and the D-Day is exactly how I wanted people to envision the intro. The interesting thing though is for the Resistance to be safe from the Machine’s fire they really have to be far enough way from shore as perhaps small arms projectiles might be stagnated when they hit water, but ion cannons, Super plasma canons, powerful lasers & rail guns should deliver some significant & nasty damage to forces targeted in the water. I also wondered what seismic & sonic weapons would do to Splicers underwater, via concussions, shock, stun, etc. I guess time will tell.
None-the-less, the amphibious Splicers are going to have a nice “limelight” on them I see and this really sculpts some interesting ideas for future concepts and gameplay. Just thinking about some of the concepts and how to illustrate them has me really fired up now. The duality of being able to go to land or water, which is the weakest habitat for functionality for the Machine seems like the way to go in this harsh setting. This can really develop into some serious touches of horror, which is what we also need to preserve for the game.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I actually ran an open house game a couple years ago that was a Splicers assault on shore fortifications.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Allowing more votes to break the tie is an interesting idea. It seems to be working. Currently, there is a two-way tie for first place and a two-way tie for second place. Previously, there was a three-way or four-way tie for first place.

Back to the topic of inspiration vs. niche-filling, I read the rules carefully. I understood that entries did not have to be nautical, but I did feel that this was the implied intention. I also thought that the entries were probably supposed to be bio-tech; that's why I went back and added the genetic tattoos to the Soothsayer Cult entry just to be sure. I've been burnt before by judges complaining that I violated the spirit of a contest and disqualified me as a result.

None of this is a bad thing. The fact that most entries fit easily into a central theme is a lucky bonus.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Regarding Nightmare Biotics, I would like to point out something just in case this entry wins. It represents a reversal of the Houses' policy about upgrading weapons without upgrading humans themselves. That isn't necessarily a base thing. Starting with some of the original OCCs, we could see the Librarians moving away from this policy. It could have been argued that the Saints were the first step. The original Biotics were a clear violation of the policy, just limited to criminals and mentally handicapped. The subsequent Metamorph Class and these Nightmare Biotics represent a clear break if not reversal of the policy with no mention of human upgrades being restricted to anyone. So, I don't see this as a plot hole but more of a plot point; I do think the issue should be addressed in the class description.

Regarding the Snappers, this entry is currently in last place. I do like the idea, and I suspect it will show up in a few campaigns. I can also see why it hasn't picked up any votes yet. It's a gadget -- a good idea but a small idea. It violates Kevin's advice about the wow factor. I would like to see one of the small ideas get a spot in the winners circle, but realistically the safer bet would be with more epic entries.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

it wouldn't be the first time biotics got expanded. someone (i'm fairly certain it's slappy) has an advanced biotic that is a volunteer non-criminal and retains human appearance. the metamorph definitely directly modifies the human. even the humble packmaster OCC straight out of the core book has biocomm modified into them (not just into their armor or carried), not to mention the skinjob and the scarecrow. just remember, the OCCs which are not directly modified humans are going to be a lot more common... splicer modification of humans was never something that *didn't* happen, it was something that didn't happen *often*.

in the case of the nightmare biotics though, i'd say they're probably still the criminal ones, at least in most cases... most humans who are willing to give up their humanity will prefer to keep their human appearance, and would choose the advanced biotic OCC or the metamorph OCC, imo.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

I have been gone too long and its time to dig into this discussion thread with all the designers. As I ponder how to go about illustrating each Entry if it wins, various intrigues and questions begin to brew. I have summarized most of my questions on “some” of you all’s entries to get things under way.

Clockpunk,
Your first on deck: Regarding the Salsivore metabolism and the HA design. This is truly a wicked concept to visualize going to work on casualties in the field or victims of a rival house. In the salty ocean water it reminds me of a manatee in demeanor but on land I instantly think something almost vampiric in horror that I would be fearful of it touching me. Would this draining technique also work on Biotics and other living creatures not covered in armor?

Re: the Snapper, It is so scary how our Splicer minds think alike. I actually did a roughneck illustration hopefully to be revealed in the new sourcebook coming up, wielding the Roughneck gauntlet with a more enhanced version of the maw you speak of. The one I illustrated, however, looks more like a hybrid between a moray eel and a bull shark. I think it would be interesting to see both options available for roughneck soldiers.

Guy Ledouche,
Your next with the Limnivore a.k.a. “Mudeater.” I can’t help but imagine some sleek Host Armor design of a mudpuppy with the feathery like appendages over the gill like intakes & Hydro jets and a sleek sinister head design similar to salamanders. What did you physically envision for this type of Host Armor via head/helmet design?

Regarding the Piscivore, land shark Host Armors are always going to be a horror & winner in my book! Just imagine a dark blue with light under belly and limb markings on a Host Armor with a bio organic bull-shark like head and those dreaded dark black eyes is something that the violet wave would certainly be proud of to unleash on the surface. My question is how log after bloodshed or more specifically the state of mind in frenzy does the pilot under go before they come off the frenzied high?

Quantum07,
This one is for the Ragdolls, Can they channel, either subconsciously or with focused intent, their bio twitches into strikes to enhance the damage they cause with strikes or during grappling excursions? The reason I am asking and I don’t want to start a martial arts debate here, but imagining Bruce Lee’s one-inch punch application being amplified with the bio-twitch plus the supernatural elixir and bio enhancements, paints nasty picture for me if a Ragdoll uses this in conjunction with a hand held bio weapons such as concussion staffs or edged weapons. Grappling wit such a twitching menace also gives me a vibe of that inevitable twitch that is going to jar you horrifically and possibly disorient you enough for a Ragdoll to really get a hold of you. Is this what you had possibly in mind with these wicked horrors?

Next Up Kevarin,
The Iron brigade of Iron shells that would storm the beaches is most impressive and befitting for the aesthetic and formidable nature of the Krakens. It is well constructed, orchestrated and I can easily I see them rising out of the oceanic waves as they pour in on the surf, discharging their powerful array into the enemy ranks and deploying their infantry cargo. As they come inland. Any chance we will have more back story or fluff as that is all I can see would seal the deal for this deadly unit.

Sea Devils: Between your Sea Devils & Brain Nuke’s Tempest Riders it is quite clear that the Resistance might need some form of nautical archangels and I am so driven to see what evolves to fit this niche. I pictured an Arch Angel type OCC, but instead of wings like the Archangels, I imagined Sting ray like wings or flap to make use of the hydro propulsions to uplift and control flight rather underwater or over the ocean with some form of hydrogen replacements, I personally feel that you two could fuse your concoction and create a seriously wicked OCC utilizing both of your ideas and then some. Perhaps, instead of a grappling hook like the Archangels use, they could have a long retractable tentacle tail that is attached to the sting ray wing flap(s) with a long barbed stinger to snag and drag enemy forces into the deep ocean to where the snared would never emerge again. Just food for thought and my 2 cents.

Re: Maelstrom: This Warmount really has that dark silent menace in the seas that is the quiet before the storm sort of vibe for me. I can easily envision this massive dark ray as massive cloak soaring through the seas on its way to some unsuspecting beachfront where hordes of metal productions await… and then the storm begins. This is another one of those very well-stated Warmounts and concepts and the only thing I would ask to see more of for such a large and well designed creature is more to the write-up part or the fluff as it is called. It is so befitting for such a design to have us learn more about it.

Snake Eyes
Re: the deadly Nautilus Troopers. If there was one shock trooper that exudes the nautical dark forces it is quite possibly a nautilus and its semi-aware bonded creature built into the HA. I know what I have been thinking about these for some time now, and as the contest is still anyone’s chance, though we are close o the 10th, I can’t help but ponder if this will be one of the chosen as it retains it’s lead in the polls. Nice balance BTW, on the bio upgrades beginning at 3rd level. Do the tentacles have prehensile functions as well to assist in climbing and arboreal navigations? Any additional info the semi-aware creature that is housed in the Host Armor?

89er,
I really like the function you have generated & instituted to help secure territory for the “indigo Wave’s with a well rounded and deadly Warmount, the “Akhult!” I can’t tell you how often I have envisioned this one as it is similar to a species I drafted for the Preserves (literally an orca mixed with a grizzly as one type of the species with a Beluga & Sloth bear as another). But the Akhult and its functionality is a superb idea for offshore and beach front combat and I can visualize squadrons of these Packhunters on land with equal ferocity, and certainly make for great Warmounts for usurping, securing and protecting large lakes and bodies of rivers which are much needed Resistance resources. This sends a serious message to Great Houses when you have to deal with invading pack hunters. My question for you is one on the design. What made you decide to place the saddle in front of the dorsal fin instead of behind it, as I am curious if that would affect its aerodynamics underwater or not? Also, would the Outriders ride them Harley style or crotch rocket style? Can you describe what the Akhult’s tail might look like?

To the crafty Krispy,
Re: The Piranha Host Armor, This Host Armor template intrigues me and I would love to learn more about it. What I have noticed thus far in this contest is that the more descriptive concepts which “seems” (IMHO) to paint a clear picture of what the Designer(s) is seeking to portray is getting the higher vote counts and I think with some added fluff in your write-up might see a surge for this deadly design. As to my questions, is this an HA utilized by the Indigo Violet Wave or another Great House that has oceanic forces roaming that is getting into the flay? Are the Piranha geared primarily for aquatic excursions or are they land based infantry as well?

Re: The Croshak Warmount, simply brilliant composition! I really like the idea of being able to customize your head options a bit while its still the same Warmount formula, nice touch. I am also hungry for a little more info and fluff write up on this deadly Warmount though good idea for listing the roles it takes with the Krakens. BTW, I love the incorporation of the death role bite and I think there is another added part/phase of the attack that could be considered and that is the extreme amount of bite force that this Warmount could deliver in a bite attack. Crocs and alligators have one of the highest measured bite forces in the animal kingdom and their BFQs have rated even over Great White sharks. This type of crushing power would become noteworthy very quickly in the Resistance, especially those who have suffered at the hands of or witnessed its prowess in the field. The key I think for this one (like Ziggy stated) is that it needs to be finished via completed stats (height, length, weight, all speeds, etc.) and the question you asked within its write up needs to be answered.

Re: The Morning Star. This is perhaps my most favorite of your entries Krispy. The Echidna influenced Warmount is such an overlooked type of animal (I actually have a draft of a Warmount that is based off of a giant anteater with a razor ribbon flag like tail that makes me smile when I think of your morning star as to how they could be cousin Warmount designs). I can see some very interesting uses and illustration for this one. Just imaging several of these Warmounts rising out of the shoreline like Anguirus or being catapulted and thudding into the shoreline and then burrowing half way into the sand and leaving only the spiky back hide exposed and awaiting to launch or blitz attacks and provide paths for infantry. Certainly the charge, curl up and roll through forces while discharging a forward death blossom with each rotation would open up some paths, Man… this is a SWEET Warmount that would be fun to see in action. I would certainly fuse your grizzly recommendation with the Morning Star to sink in the point of its formidability for storming shores. Slappy has always told me of the value of area effect weapons for fighting on the shore fronts and large numbers and this design would be very crucial and successful IMHO. Like Ziggy & I stated above, you really need to finish this one and stat it out as I really dig it and I think it would excel if you delivered the fluff & completed stats. PLEASE…

To Hellbound of SLB,
Re: The dreaded Nightmare Biotics. This is particularly one that has really is a major player in this contest to me. I have always been a fan of the various beast that define a function or facet of combat and the Nightmares seem to covet this position in Splicers very well. First off, let me say I love the launching the pods into the field, it is so cool and I always liked it when I saw Predators being deployed in this fashion, so you already won cool points with me just for this awesome deployment implementation. But then out comes the surprise, as no one is certain what has just been launched over their heads and what will be lurking about them within minutes, or worse… seconds. With the arctic blizzard taking affect on a lot of the land as described in the Unleashed intro, the Nightmare Bio-Wolves & Bio-Tiger forms really sink home the point of being hunted in a deadly blizzard terraign that is often ill suited for many other types of HAs. The fact you utilized beasts (especially 2 that are adapted well for arctic climates) that would do exceptionally well in these frigid harsh climates & atmosphere, it illustrates that the Nightmares are prepared to go deeper into the inland areas to set up holts, cause harm and fulfill their assignments within the Resistance’s strongholds. As they say, who is hunting who? Then there is the added bonus of a recon excerpt, which brings us into the setting from the firsthand perspective and gives the air of suspense. The question I still would like to know more about is the reasoning they have for using Machine technology and how they do it and who is outfitting them with it? Are they the only types or are their other beast forms as well in the Nightmare make up? How many make up a pack and are they all consistent forms or do they vary in forms and hierarchy? What is the maximum range of the bio-pod launchers and how many can be loaded into the pod launchers at one time?

Re: Casper: We need your stats for this creature

2 Brain Nuke Re: The Lusca Warmount, Talk about one of the best-written Entries, this one is truly a work of art. I can actually walk through this Warmount and see where everything is, how it is loaded up, what goes where and how well thought out its space was devised. It is clear that if one of these large troop transports are utilized the Krakens will be even more deadly as they can deliver high payloads of troops with a higher rate of success to the shoreline without having the Krakens to be drawn so close to enemy fire. The Lusca is such a well-balanced creature with a sperm whale composition. I only dread the idea of possibly illustrated all those eyes, lol.

Slipstream pack and Tempest Riders: Like everyone else state I wholeheartedly agree that they should be one in the same though having the pack as an option for future use was a wise call. Between your Tempest Riders and Kevarin’s Sea Devils it is quite clear that the Resistance might need some form of nautical archangels and I am so driven to see what evolves to fit this niche. I pictured an Arch Angel with your slipstream pack or the Sea devil type but instead of wings like Archangels, I imagined Sting ray like wings or flap to make use of the hydro propulsions to uplift and control flight rather underwater or over the ocean with some form of hydrogen replacements, I personally feel that you two could fuse your concoction and create a seriously wicked OCC utilizing both of your ideas and then some. Instead of a grappling hook like Archangels have, they could have a long retractable tentacle tail that is attached to the sting ray wing flap(s) with a long barbed stinger to snag and drag enemy forces into the deep ocean to where the snared would never emerge again. Just food for thought and my 2 cents.

To ingenious Lord Z,
You really took the contest and instituted your ideas in such a clever way for conjuring an Entry that not only brings a new concept but it also has the potential to expand the setting and playability as we know it and yet you did this all with splicing it into the introduction of the dark House’s Violet Wave. My mind has fluttered with various images that could be done to capture the Soothsayer concept. I would say I would seek to illustrate Omen with those wicked dreadlocks and symbols and see what the Arch Herald visually exudes or perhaps its followers or even a HA with its numerous living tattoos sculpted over its fur & or carapace. I have this image of a tattooed sexy female Roughneck with a melanistic ocelot styled Host Armor with dread locks and the markings consisting of the various Soothsayer tattoos adorning its face, neck, back and limbs just popping into my head as I talk this out, whew! I have so many questions to ask but I will begin with my biggest curiosities:

Re: the living bio tattoos, cool and unique btw, you mentioned that if they were burnt off that they would regenerate due to being genetic, but how is this possible? I mean if we had a body part burnt off or severely scorched, the genetic DNA/cell structure would be cauterized and would not regenerate lost limbs, fingers or eyes even though its part of our genetic make up. Even severely burnt skin is replaced and grafted by new replacement skin, so how does this work for the living bio-tattoos? Besides aesthetics, identification and luminous principals are their other functions and or abilities with the living tattoos or possibly other types? Are there special hygiene requirements for maintenance of these living tattoos? Is there a process to join the Soothsayers and how does one move up in hierarchy? What do they visualize the nano minions looking like? Does the Sooth-sayer goddess(s) have spiritual enemies/rivals that are foretold?
Last edited by Premier on Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

I understand the concern you bring forth Lord Z about upgrading bio-weapons first and foremost before meddling with humans and I think that it a strong & valid concern and worth remembering when designing new concepts. I do believe however that there is a segment of "House" policy that is also a certain amount of covert experimentation for a competitive edge and what is within a reasonable envelope of tolerance. For example, the Packmaster bio-comm implant (IMHO) is something that appears within easy reasoning as it is a surgical application that can be easily removed via surgery and you have a fully restored human without any fused bio-technology. Biotics would represent a mid-point in this speculative envelope while Skinjobs and Scarecrows however are the far side of this envelope and therefore should be extremely rare and not in the political faces of those who significantly judge or are biased against biotechnology & regulate House policies on human experimentation.

This was the reason the Metamorph concept was designed as a new introductory experiment with its metamorphosis still bent on being somewhat secretive & private from the eyes who would misjudge them. I personally would still adhere to House policy of "the weapons before the man" as a general rule of thumb and anything else would be very low in production numbers and overall haven culture should enforce this element. Even if it means ostracizing the abominations or even a panic stricken area revolting, boycotting suspected illegal biotech or conducting witch hunts out of fear, I can see humanity enforcing fearful limitations on experiments that go beyond our own insecurities and psychological tolerances. This would mean that experiments beyond the envelope would likely have to live a lifestyle of seclusion from the general masses and this limits playability and or character versatility. As long as Technojackers, which look totally human, are feared the way they are by Splicers, then there will always be fear or at least a deep anxiety within everyone when humans are exposed to something that no longer appears to retain its physical human origins.

I do agree that it would make for an interesting part of discussion & or write up on the Nightmares to see if they are hulled up in the barracks until needed or how they interact with other human militia.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Do the tentacles have prehensile functions as well to assist in climbing and arboreal navigations? Any additional info the semi-aware creature that is housed in the Host Armor?

@Premier......Yes the Tentacles are prehensile, and they work quite well in climbing
The Dragon Has Spoken
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Premier wrote:89er,
I really like the function you have generated & instituted to help secure territory for the “indigo Wave’s with a well rounded and deadly Warmount, the “Akhult!” I can’t tell you how often I have envisioned this one as it is similar to a species I drafted for the Preserves (literally an orca mixed with a grizzly as one type of the species with a Beluga & Sloth bear as another). But the Akhult and its functionality is a superb idea for offshore and beach front combat and I can visualize squadrons of these Packhunters on land with equal ferocity, and certainly make for great Warmounts for usurping, securing and protecting large lakes and bodies of rivers which are much needed Resistance resources. This sends a serious message to Great Houses when you have to deal with invading pack hunters. My question for you is one on the design. What made you decide to place the saddle in front of the dorsal fin instead of behind it, as I am curious if that would affect its aerodynamics underwater or not? Also, would the Outriders ride them Harley style or crotch rocket style? Can you describe what the Akhult’s tail might look like?

The Outrider would ride the Akhult crotch rocket style to avoid drang when riding on land or water and be face first into the action. The tail mostly resembles an orca's, used as proplution in the water and stablization on land.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Hellhound (and others), you guys are completely correct. I should have re-read the Nightmares submission before writing about it. My bad...

Premier, thank you for the in-depth questions you've offered, all of them. Concerning how the cultists might invision the nano-minions, I don't know. I hadn't thought about it before. Most humans in the Resistance have probably lost a good amount of their knowledge of engineering, so they probably think of tiny robots as looking just like the larger robots they can see, only smaller. Some arcane geometry or iconography might be incorporated into it on some undersea fresco. I'll give the matter some more thought...

The part about the tattoos were not wording clearly enough. Thank you for pointing that out. What I mean when I write that the living tattoos can regenerate is that they can be healed -- in contrast to regular tattoos. For example, let's take your Roughneck character with the ocelot features. Let's say that she has two tattoos on her shoulder blades, one on each side, looking like cat eyes. Okay, that would look terrible, but bare with me. She first gets her right side tattoo which is mundane, probably colored with octopus ink. Then she gets promoted, and with her higher salary she decides to get the other side done in living tattoo. During a mission, an explosion trashes her armor and shreds the flesh off her upper back. Fortunately, a Saint is nearby to save her life and regenerate the lost flesh. There will probably be scarification, but that's a GM call. The ink tattoo will not reappear in the new flesh because that was blown away. The living tattoo is encoded in nearly every cell of her body, so her body knows to regrow that design when new skin is generated.

More later...

kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

well tried updating the info on the iron shel and maelstrom not sure if its any better back storys not my strong point.

also added a new suit of host armor to the non submission thread hope people like the changes
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

Quantum07
Explorer

Unread post by Quantum07 »

@Premiere
I see them great melee combatants that you do not want to get close to. I could see there power punch, instead of doing double damage, doing triple punch damage. Also, their throws would be as if you were thrown by someone with a supernatural PS of 15 higher. They are grapplers at heart, but one could use the bio-twitches for other work, as long as it is not sustained. I don't know if we are allowed to go back and edit our submissions, plus I can not cover all the things that a player would do with that power. It is up to the player to figure it out.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Regarding the cult, okay, I've given this a little more thought. I was never pleased with the lightning & trapazoid design. I just thought that the cultists liked storms and a trapazoid wasn't an overused symbol in iconography (although Allister Crowely reportedly had a thing for trapazoids). Perhaps some artist or graphic designer will come up with more appropriate symbols. Now I am thinking of a rhombus, intersected by a vertical straight line and a wavy horizontal line, representing lightning and ocean waves. I am also thinking of a bent trident with points of three different lengths.

The cultists might see the Machine's nanites as robotic bugs. Perhaps they are patterned Egyptian scarabs or some other beetle or North American ticks but with glowing symbols of sacred iconographs on their bodies (like that bent trident), but still clearly robots with buzz saw jaws and glowing eyes. This is of course completely delusional, but it might be how the nano-minions look in the cult's paintings and frescos. In actuality, the nanites probably look more like millipedes or microscopic coil snakes, a more practical design.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

More Cult Answers: Advancement in the Cult is determined entirely by superiors. It's a simple system. When an elder (a cultist with superior rank) recognizes a cultist who displays the faith well, that elder nominates the cultist for promotion. Whenever two elders agree, they may together decide to promote the cultist to a higher rank, up to an including their own. As there is only one person at the top, her vote counts as two. Once promoted, the cultist is given new tattoos and new responsiblities. These responsibilities are taken very seriously, often including special favors. Recently promoted cultists have been known to spy on rivals, steal, perform suicide missions, and even undergo Skin Job transformations -- all to prove their reverence.

Living tattoos may be used to designate anything that normal tattoos can. In and outside the Cult, large tattoos are popular among warriors to commemorate victorious battles. The Cult also uses living tattoos as marks of shame on rare occassion. For example, a Cultist who demonstrated cowardness in battle might be given a mark which means 'sinner.' According to Cult philosophy, cowardess and blasphemy are the same crime. The Cult is pushing for legislation in the new Great House which would subject all criminals to manditory tattooing with marks of shame. Tattoos could be used as a cheap and quick way to add camouflage patterns to a warmount or suit of living armor. A recent trend has been for support professionals like Saints and Geneticists to design their own tattoo symbols which are copied by the recipients of their memories (see Bio-Immortality). Living tattoos do not require any special care in terms of hygiene or feeding; it's just regular dermis but of a different pigment.

Daily life in the Resistance is very practical. There is little time nor resources for creaming in most Great Houses. That, however, is where the Soothsayer Cult excels. The Cult fills the socialogical need for spirituality and honor that most non-cultists miss . (Although many non-cultists question whether the Sooth is actual spirituality at all.) They mark weddings, promations, criminal sentances, new years, and much more. Soothsayer ceramonies range from simple meditation gatherings of small groups to elaborate blood sacrafices. They take inspiration from traditions of the Old Earth including Roman orgies, Aztec temple dedications, Christian baptisms, Rock and Roll concerts and any other religious or quasi-religious gathering they can copy. The ceramony for backing up or receiving memories (see Bio-Immortality) is an important process called the Flow. The Cultists are encouraged to innovate new practices and creative ceramonies all the time. As the Faith slowly solidifies into a religion, Omen expects that some ceramonies will become religious sacrments, but for now they are still experimenting.

Still to come -- Joining the Cult and Spiritual Enemies of the Godesses.

89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

To celebrate the end of Splicers Unleashed, I have prepared a short story:

The following is a recorded conversation between Senator Mabel Bray and Dreadguard Ruben Decker of House Redips:

“You wanted to see me Senator?”
“ Ah Decker, come in have a seat. How have you been?”
“Tired and glad to be on solid ground, Senator.”
“Good, well I’ve read your report on the recent activity of this “Violet Wave” and I am having difficulty…”
“With what Senator?”
“This idea that one House has remained hidden for so long and let loose all kinds of watery hell with now clear objective. Look at this, one report tells of Warmounts and Metabolisms that make out aquatic forces look like bath-toys.”
“I’ll say, if it had not been for that passing patrol from House Artemis, my team and I would have been fish food”
“Artemis, they develop so much bleeding edge biotech, they don’t care who they cut to get it.”
“But that’s not why you asked for me Senator?”
“No, no, I need you help with something else entirely. This was taken less than twelve hours ago.”
“My god, you don’t think…”
“I don’t think, I know. The Machine is responding to this reckless outbreak of biotech by making its own. We have no idea what will be coming out of those factories, but we have to prepare for the worst.”
“What do you need me to do Senator?”
“You and your team will monitor the nearby Preserve, if the Machine is making new toys; she might also be letting her new pets out to play. You must intercept and destroy them at any cost. But try to get at least a sample of each.”
“Understood Senator”
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

It's over! Congratulations to the winners, and I would like to offer the biggest shout-out to Brian Nuke for the come-from-behind first place win for the Lusca Warmount!

Snake Eyes
Hero

its over......when did this happen.......
The Dragon Has Spoken
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

It's right there at the top of the polling thread:
Choose 2 Entries that you would l most like to see Unleashed
Poll ended at Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 am

Snake Eyes
Hero

:facepalm: D'oh........just saw that after i said something
The Dragon Has Spoken
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Can we get Bio-e for handheld weapon upgrades for the classes? also, freaking awesome stuff all around.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Can we get Bio-e for handheld weapon upgrades for the classes? also, freaking awesome stuff all around.

THIS
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Can we get Bio-e for handheld weapon upgrades for the classes? also, freaking awesome stuff all around.

THIS

Seconded.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

Premier wrote:To the crafty Krispy,
Re: The Piranha Host Armor, This Host Armor template intrigues me and I would love to learn more about it. What I have noticed thus far in this contest is that the more descriptive concepts which “seems” (IMHO) to paint a clear picture of what the Designer(s) is seeking to portray is getting the higher vote counts and I think with some added fluff in your write-up might see a surge for this deadly design. As to my questions, is this an HA utilized by the Indigo Violet Wave or another Great House that has oceanic forces roaming that is getting into the flay? Are the Piranha geared primarily for aquatic excursions or are they land based infantry as well?

Re: The Croshak Warmount, simply brilliant composition! I really like the idea of being able to customize your head options a bit while its still the same Warmount formula, nice touch. I am also hungry for a little more info and fluff write up on this deadly Warmount though good idea for listing the roles it takes with the Krakens. BTW, I love the incorporation of the death role bite and I think there is another added part/phase of the attack that could be considered and that is the extreme amount of bite force that this Warmount could deliver in a bite attack. Crocs and alligators have one of the highest measured bite forces in the animal kingdom and their BFQs have rated even over Great White sharks. This type of crushing power would become noteworthy very quickly in the Resistance, especially those who have suffered at the hands of or witnessed its prowess in the field. The key I think for this one (like Ziggy stated) is that it needs to be finished via completed stats (height, length, weight, all speeds, etc.) and the question you asked within its write up needs to be answered.

Re: The Morning Star. This is perhaps my most favorite of your entries Krispy. The Echidna influenced Warmount is such an overlooked type of animal (I actually have a draft of a Warmount that is based off of a giant anteater with a razor ribbon flag like tail that makes me smile when I think of your morning star as to how they could be cousin Warmount designs). I can see some very interesting uses and illustration for this one. Just imaging several of these Warmounts rising out of the shoreline like Anguirus or being catapulted and thudding into the shoreline and then burrowing half way into the sand and leaving only the spiky back hide exposed and awaiting to launch or blitz attacks and provide paths for infantry. Certainly the charge, curl up and roll through forces while discharging a forward death blossom with each rotation would open up some paths, Man… this is a SWEET Warmount that would be fun to see in action. I would certainly fuse your grizzly recommendation with the Morning Star to sink in the point of its formidability for storming shores. Slappy has always told me of the value of area effect weapons for fighting on the shore fronts and large numbers and this design would be very crucial and successful IMHO. Like Ziggy & I stated above, you really need to finish this one and stat it out as I really dig it and I think it would excel if you delivered the fluff & completed stats. PLEASE…

i am sorry for the late reply Premier i just found this post and though its too late for the comp thank you so much for your compliments & critique/recommendations.

this year has been so busy for me that i just did not have enough time to dedicate to my ideas. i do hope that the rest of the board liked my ideas and that you are using them

i could expand on them a bit more but you will probably have to wait a little longer. i still want to add to my crystal exoskeleton idea as well. it seems it could be a unique technological advancement for this new house

again thank you for the compliments
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Premier... you asked "is this a HA utilized by the Indigo Violet Wave or another Great House that has oceanic forces roaming that is getting into the flay? Are the Piranha geared primarily for aquatic excursions or are they land based infantry as well?"

i had envisioned that this HA was for Indigo Violet Wave. to be honest i hadnt considered them for land based infantry, i had only condsidered them for aquatic excursions. but when you look at it, their organic thrusters would also enable them to fly...so they could also be ariel support for ground assault and Kraken defense.

maybe with a bit of tweeking i could make it an all purpose HA??
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Premier. you said 'I actually have a draft of a Warmount that is based off of a giant anteater with a razor ribbon flag like tail that makes me smile when I think of your morning star as to how they could be cousin Warmount designs' 'I would certainly fuse your grizzly recommendation with the Morning Star to sink in the point of its formidability for storming shores'.

Thanks for supporting the fusion of the grizzly bear with the echidna, it would 'sink in the point of its formidability for storming shores' i realised just a couple of days ago that i put otter tail when i should of put beaver tail.

im sorry i didnt get my ideas finished with the expected detail. again my career (lecturer & practicing therapist) takes up a lot of my time

your anteater idea sounds intriguing. they could go well together while they charge the shore & engaged the enemy. you probably dont want any ideas but i just thought of this.

keep the jaw/mouth set up of the anteater but blend it with a cuttle fish and half way up the jaw there are say 4 BEEV ports or Spore Discharger ports. those anteater claws are vicious
connecting the dots
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Judgement has come... soon its verdicts will be.... UNLEASHED........
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

I just want to wish all you splicers out there to have a safe and happy holidays.

Yes, even N.E.X.U.S. gets my holidays blessings.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

May we get a status update, please?

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Lord Z wrote:May we get a status update, please?

Sure can;

Currently I am finishing & tightening up the illustrations of the Wining Entries and have some serious details on certain illustrations that I am seeking to nail just right. As this is being done, We are also composing the direction for the literature as to how it will be delivered. I am sure some things will also churn quicker once the illustrations are done. Hope that helps :-D
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Indeed!

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

There are just some things that you don't see coming until they manifest and I can quickly say that some of the Winning Entries really have thrown me for a surprise as to how they are visually developing. I say that in a good and yet disturbing sort of way. This reminds me of the original movie Tron when Flynn was in the cpu (matrix, :lol: ) and as he was speeding in his Lightcycle passed all those tanks, he said relunctantly," I shouldn't have written all those Tank Programs..."This is what I feel the Writers of Unleashed have done unto the Splicerverse. :x :lol:
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

Premier wrote:There are just some things that you don't see coming until they manifest and I can quickly say that some of the Winning Entries really have thrown me for a surprise as to how they are visually developing. I say that in a good and yet disturbing sort of way. This reminds me of the original movie Tron when Flynn was in the cpu (matrix, :lol: ) and as he was speeding in his Lightcycle passed all those tanks, he said relunctantly," I shouldn't have written all those Tank Programs..."This is what I feel the Writers of Unleashed have done unto the Splicerverse. :x :lol:

you just love to tease people don't you well ok now show us some previews or something.

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

kevarin wrote:
Premier wrote:There are just some things that you don't see coming until they manifest and I can quickly say that some of the Winning Entries really have thrown me for a surprise as to how they are visually developing. I say that in a good and yet disturbing sort of way. This reminds me of the original movie Tron when Flynn was in the cpu (matrix, :lol: ) and as he was speeding in his Lightcycle passed all those tanks, he said relunctantly," I shouldn't have written all those Tank Programs..."This is what I feel the Writers of Unleashed have done unto the Splicerverse. :x :lol:

you just love to tease people don't you well ok now show us some previews or something.

Awe...Wheres the fun in that, :-D . Actually I was just caught off guard on how some of the illustrations are turning out and lets say I hadn't anticipated the results, but I am glad they turned the way they did. I will keep everyone posted, Now where did those Writers go... :lol:
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

By all means take your time, we do not want to rush the plans, wether of biotech or metal...
Snake Eyes
Hero

@Premier........been out of the loop for a while.......how are things coming along?
The Dragon Has Spoken
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Snake Eyes wrote:@Premier........been out of the loop for a while.......how are things coming along?

Things are developing better than I thought they would be actually! I have some exciting inspirations from several Writers on where things are going and I am looking fwd to getting everything done and out to everyone. The winning Entries are still being illustrated and each one has my full intent to rival one another visually. My expectations for Unleashed have risen tremendously!
Snake Eyes
Hero

Premier wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:@Premier........been out of the loop for a while.......how are things coming along?

Things are developing better than I thought they would be actually! I have some exciting inspirations from several Writers on where things are going and I am looking fwd to getting everything done and out to everyone. The winning Entries are still being illustrated and each one has my full intent to rival one another visually. My expectations for Unleashed have risen tremendously!

Super cool :D
The Dragon Has Spoken
Quantum07
Explorer

Unread post by Quantum07 »

So who are the winners?
Snake Eyes
Hero

Quantum07 wrote:So who are the winners?

inquiring minds want to know
The Dragon Has Spoken
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

It was mentioned in another thread that the guys are focusing on the next sourcebook right now. I can respect that decision. They probably want to reveal the winners and the prize artwork at the same time, I would guess.

Snake Eyes
Hero

Lord Z wrote:It was mentioned in another thread that the guys are focusing on the next sourcebook right now. I can respect that decision. They probably want to reveal the winners and the prize artwork at the same time, I would guess.

makes sense :ok:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Quantum07
So who are the winners?

Snake Eyes
inquiring minds want to know

The Winners Entries will be revealed with the release of the Unleashed material to preserve the suspense factor. The WIP is coming along and the project should hopefully be wrapped up soon enough, but we want the quality to be well worth it. Its very important to me that the first Unleashed contest be a successful one to encourage more Support, Entries and Voter participation for the next contest.

Lord ZIt was mentioned in another thread that the guys are focusing on the next sourcebook right now. I can respect that decision. They probably want to reveal the winners and the prize artwork at the same time, I would guess.

Great catch Lord Z! Actually though, Slappy is back Writing on the sourcebook, while the rest of the team is cranking on Unleashed. I am oscillating between the two and additional workloads & commissions. We are doing the best we can to get the Splicer material completed & out as soon as possible, always with quality in mind. I can’t say for certain which will be complete first at this point as both are making very good headway both in Writing and Art. I can say this though, as soon as we are done with them, they will be turned over immediately afterwards.
Snake Eyes
Hero

Really cool that things are coming along so well...........The suspense is killing me
The Dragon Has Spoken
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

As long as their is faith, the is hope (Unless Kali gets borde) :twisted:
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Snake Eyes wrote:Really cool that things are coming along so well...........The suspense is killing me

Let me ask everyone a question as I peruse througth these illustrations and wonder what everyone is thinking, expecting and preparing for...

Are you all preparing for Unleashed in your current Splicers campaigns? Do you have the player group or that one special character, ready to "try" and defend their Great Houses's borders?

Oops, sorry that was two questions. :-P
Snake Eyes
Hero

Premier wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:Really cool that things are coming along so well...........The suspense is killing me

Let me ask everyone a question as I peruse througth these illustrations and wonder what everyone is thinking, expecting and preparing for...

Are you all preparing for Unleashed in your current Splicers campaigns? Do you have the player group or that one special character, ready to "try" and defend their Great Houses's borders?

Oops, sorry that was two questions. :-P

:lol:

On a side note.......no one will and/or wants to play Splicers in my local area :x let alone anything Palladium.
The Dragon Has Spoken
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

SE, have you considered running a game as a play-by-post campaign? NexusNine.net is currently seeking GMs to run more games on their site.

Return to “Splicers® Unleashed!”