Introducing SPLICERS: UNLEASHED!!!

I would like to introduce everyone to the 1st “Splicers: Unleashed” contest and the havoc that will reign form henceforth in this epic & awesome RPG. This is a submissions contest where you will get a chance to get your imaginative visions brought to life as an optional contribution to the Splicers setting. I wanted to bring some spice for this setting and open the floodgates for your imaginations to be stimulated like none before. This is a contest where EVERYONE can take part and submit, judge & market their most creative, deadly and wicked ideas for Splicers. - Premier aka Chuck Walton

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Introducing SPLICERS: UNLEASHED!!!

Unread post by Premier »

SPLICERS: Unleashed

Hello Splicers Contributors, Forum Posters and Fans,

I would like to introduce everyone to the 1st “Splicers: Unleashed” contest and the havoc that will reign from henceforth in this epic & awesome RPG. This is a submissions contest where you will get a chance to get your imaginative visions brought to life as an optional contribution to the Splicers setting. I wanted to bring some spice for this setting and open the floodgates for your imaginations to be stimulated like none before. This is a contest where EVERYONE can take part and submit, judge & market their most creative, deadly and wicked ideas for Splicers.

How this will work:

Unleashed Phase 1: The Submissions

Everyone can participate in this contest so feel free to join in ASAP and get those creative juices flowing.

The Backdrop:
During an abnormal blizzard winter storm, seeming like a coming of an ice age, sweeping across the surface of much of the planet, a dark, mysterious & deadly Great House has risen from the depths of the Oceania. This Great House did not respond to any bio-com communications of any other House and they rose against the machines coastal forces and other Houses who defied their arrival. The House utilizes a vast fleet of dark violet colored Krakens to come along various banks on the globe, storming the beaches before they unleashed hordes of nasty wicked biotechnology upon the surface, before submerging and disappearing back into the dark oceanic depths. One thing is for certain this menace has no known allies and seeks to unleash terror like no other Great House of power has historically ever done. Now whether this is to reign, cause uncontrollable havoc upon the Great Houses, to purge the surface, a House that has succumbed to megalo Librarians or simply a Great House testing new biotechnology ideas under the dark mysterious guise, it is unknown.

Here is where Opportunity for EVERYONE comes in:

You can write up any wicked design of biotechnology rather it be Warmount, Host Armor, Living Body Armor, new O.C.C., Packmaster type with new gore beast, etc. and submit up to (3) entries per person into the “Splicers: Unleashed” thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116750

Once the deadline (October 10th, 2010) is reached, no more entries will be admitted into the contest, no matter how good or creative they are, not even a day late, sorry. All write-ups will require completed stats and a well-written description on the design and how it operates and the incorporation of the dark mysterious Krakens unleashing your creation(s) as part of the introduction to the shorelines and where they went, infiltrated or rampaged from there. All submissions must be complete, well written, Splicers designs based for the Splicers setting (sorry no crossovers), ready for possible publication in order to be accepted for the next phase.

Unleashed Phase 2: The Polls

Once the entries are done, WE (Slappy, Galactus Kid, NMI or I), will open up a specific poll thread for phase 2 of “Splicers: Unleashed” to be carried out. This is where you will get a chance to vote as well as market, debate and judge the entries to try and push the best submission through. This is going to get nasty quickly, but remember the forum conduct as you discuss, market/promote and debate the entries. Upon, the deadline (November 10th, 2010) the polls will be closed, the arguments heard and reviewed and Splicers: Unleashed will go to Phase 3.

Unleashed Phase 3: The Unleash

Upon selecting the top (5) winners, they will be illustrated and the illustrations will be uploaded for the links posted to be posted in the new “Splicers: Unleashed 2010” thread on the Palladiumbooks Splicers forum.

Third place Winner will be Unleashed (revealed) first with the total population number of 7,000 of their winning design to roam the Splicers setting. Second place Winner will be Unleashed (revealed) with the total number of 16,000 of their winning design to roam the Splicers setting. Finally, First place Winner will be Unleashed (revealed) with a grand total of 30,000 of their design worldwide! All three will be revealed and Unleashed before December 21st, 2010 for everyone to enjoy the winter horror that cometh in this first episode of SPLICERS: Unleashed.

BTW, if this goes over well, the next contest will be Unleashed II: Metal Storm.

* If you have any questions please feel free to PM Galactus Kid or myself and we will reply accordingly.
Last edited by Premier on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Introducing SPLICERS: UNLEASHED!!!

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

I'm posting a few questions here in case anyone else is wondering as well:

Where are the entries submitted? Here on the forum page or to you guys via PM?

Does the creation have to be aligned with the mystery Krackens?

Are the creations restricted soley to the realm of bio-tech or can it include techno-jacker or Machine creations? I don't know that N.E.X.U.S. is going to take kindly to her forces being run roughshod over.

Are the entries restricted to a single item/creation or can they be NPCs, Hook-Line-Sinkers, fully fleshed out adventures, etc?

On a side note, EXCELLENT IDEA!!! Only ashamed I didn't think of it.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:I'm posting a few questions here in case anyone else is wondering as well:
EXCELLENT IDEA!!! Only ashamed I didn't think of it.

Thanks Guy and I’m sure you would have thought of it or something similar soon enough.

As to your questions:

Where are the entries submitted? Here on the forum page or to you guys via PM?

1.) Yes your submission will be public and can start by loading them into the submissions thread:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116749

If there is anything secretive that you would like to have placed aside for release then yes PM us and we will set the secret data aside for that design and “if” it wins, then the secret(s) will be revealed when the ideas are unleashed. The key however, is such secrets may also play a significant role on how it is voted on or not, so be strategic.

Does the creation have to be aligned with the mystery Krackens?

2.) Yes, the creations will have to be aligned with the dark Krakens, now once 6-months have passed, what and who they are aligned with to is up to you guys. Just as long as the Dark mysterious Great House can reproduce more of these under their control, no “order 66”, :badbad: .

Are the creations restricted soley to the realm of bio-tech or can it include techno-jacker or Machine creations? I don't know that N.E.X.U.S. is going to take kindly to her forces being run roughshod over.

3.) Can it be Technojacker or Machine oriented? Actually the next contest of Splicers: Unleashed will be a Machine contest, which is set up to represent NEXUS’s retort for this first contest release. So this one is exclusive to biotechnology. Hopefully by then, we will have the new Technojacker data out and availed so it will give the conceptualists better fields to work with should a TJ contest be done.

Are the entries restricted to a single item/creation or can they be NPCs, Hook-Line-Sinkers, fully fleshed out adventures, etc?

4.) As to the entries being a single item creation, yes, they can be accompanied as being NPCs, or have an HLS along with it, as long as they are used to market the single item as we don’t want to accidentally sidetrack the thread with too much material such as a fully fleshed adventure. If the creative juices are flowing that much for the idea, I would cordially suggest to that Designer to create a separate thread with a link to this one. That way they can get more comprehensive about their idea and deliver the full adventure "if" they so choose within that new thread. The way I figure it, who is going to complain about new Splicers material, smile. But if it helps illustrate how to use the idea and is part of the item’s promotion, then by all means go for it, just be mindful of how long it is within the Submissions thread.

I hope this answers such GREAT questions and if you or anyone else has any more just post them as I know this is the first time WE are conducting such a contest and I hope it works out to be enjoyable and rewarding.
Last edited by Premier on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

This is absolutely awesome, i have a HA or two i'd like to submit, but my back-story writing is lousy
The Dragon Has Spoken
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Snake Eyes wrote:This is absolutely awesome, i have a HA or two i'd like to submit, but my back-story writing is lousy

Thank You and We would like to see what you have in mind with your HA's. Don't let the backstory aspect drive you to possibly second guessing your designs. You already have the genesis of the backstory provided with the dark Kraken fleet if that helps any. I would cordially suggest you PM Writers like Galactus Kid, Slappy, NMI, Guy Ledouche, 89er & Kevarin to get some pointers if your not sure about something. Splicers is a nice and wecolming community for players and GMs and I think the community will be a wonderful area to build Writers & Artists for this setting & beyond. I am learning from them all the time.
Last edited by Premier on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Premier wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:I would cordially suggest you PM Writers like Galactus Kid, Slappy, NMI, Guy Ledouche & Kevarin to get some pointers if your not sure about something.

I'll gladly assist with anything. This is a great thing to have listed in the original write-up/post; a resource list of people who are willing to assist. Sign me up.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

I'll help out in any way I can. Need a backstory, call on me.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

89er wrote:I'll help out in any way I can. Need a backstory, call on me.

This is one of the reasons why I love not only Palladiumbooks and its fans but certainlty the Splicers community. Thanks 89er and I'm adding you to the lists above.
Snake Eyes
Hero

:D Thanks guys

Can i submit a HA that i already posted previously
The Dragon Has Spoken
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

I may take you up on that 89er i have a new class for splicers and im having a hard time comming up with a back story
thats any good .

Have a second question tho can you submit things here that you might turn in to the rifter at a later date ?
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

kevarin wrote:

I may take you up on that 89er i have a new class for splicers and im having a hard time comming up with a back story
thats any good .

Have a second question tho can you submit things here that you might turn in to the rifter at a later date ?

I'll be happy to help out with the backstory, and to answer your question, it would be a long shot, but it could stick.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

kevarin wrote:Have a second question tho can you submit things here that you might turn in to the rifter at a later date ?

I would say and vote yes, being that I have seen material on here published in the Rifter before, but I would recommend double checking with either Wayne or Alex just in case they have cracked down. But actually the Rifter #44 had creatures and monsters revealed here on the forums (both links to the art & write-ups with stats) & were voted on in a contest and were then assembled to be printed in the Rifter#44. So hopefully we can do the same with "Splicers: Unleashed."

BTW

thats any good .

Is this what I think it is...?
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Snake Eyes wrote::D Thanks guys

Can i submit a HA that i already posted previously

YESSSIIIRRRRR...... Just make sure your bring your A-game :D and you can enter up to three entries! I want us to have fun with this contest and to get the splice flowing!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

My only concern is the end game. The reward. In my game, the numbers that are represented in the game (and there aren't many in the main book) are all taken with a grain of salt. I really am in love with the contest, but I could take or leave them numbers. Either way, I'm going to bring the heat.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Snake Eyes
Hero

I forgot to ask, what experience level?
Any higher than level one?
The Dragon Has Spoken
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

clockpunk wrote:Just one thing, though - I don't quite understand where/how we submit pieces...?! Will there be a new (stickied?) thread opened up specifically for submissions (not to be cluttered up with discussions, which could go in a separate thread), if so, when will it be opened?

linky goodness

(see question 1)
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:My only concern is the end game. The reward. In my game, the numbers that are represented in the game (and there aren't many in the main book) are all taken with a grain of salt. I really am in love with the contest, but I could take or leave them numbers. Either way, I'm going to bring the heat.

I can understand your concern, but it really depends on what the design entails. Case in point, what I you designed the so Giger “Alien” and literally thousands of these were unleashed unto the Splicers setting? It’s a BIG difference between several thousand and tens of thousands of Alien drones & warriors roaming, let alone the hives they could build. This could be devastating to a Great House’s haven whose underground passages and networks leading to & from the surface, were infested with the likes of Aliens. Hmmm… that gives me an idea or two, snicker. Population of species does help decide better odd son random encounters and the probability of what you are most likely to encounter in certain regions. My goal is to discuss this more in-depth in the Preserves source material later on. By all means bring the heat & the gasoline.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Snake Eyes wrote:I forgot to ask, what experience level?

GREAT question! I would always try to keep things fair depending on what the design is. If it is meant to be more of a solitary design then I tend to beef it up more, but if it is a social/pack hunter design then it doesn’t have to be so beefed up. I would guess anywhere from level 1 - 5. What do you all think is reasonable for experience levels?
Last edited by Premier on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

clockpunk wrote:I just wanted to say that I think this is a fantastic idea - and I am so glad to see Splicers finally getting the gaming attention it has always deserved. Not many games get a second chance, so I am pleased this has managed it. Working on an entry as I type.

Thank you so much and I agree with you that it is finally time and I hope to see even more Splicers material produced to really promote and expose more fans to such a wonderful and awesome setting. Can't wait to see what your cooking up

I think that if successful, this and any future Splicers: Unleashed episodes has the potential to have the bulk of submissions compiled, with the author's permissions, of course, and used for one great additional published piece. Winners/Losers aside, of course, which may go against the grain of the competition, but it was just a thought.

I agree and hopefully Splicers: Unleashed will get such an opportunity.

Just one thing, though - I don't quite understand where/how we submit pieces...?! Will there be a new (stickied?) thread opened up specifically for submissions (not to be cluttered up with discussions, which could go in a separate thread), if so, when will it be opened?

Great question and originally I had in mind for the submissions to be placed here, but on second thought I will open up a submissions thread as you suggested, but How do you all think the discussions should be posted:

A.) In a new specific "SPLICERS: Unleashed Discussions" thread?
B.) In this thread with the rest of the discussions?
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Premier wrote:Great question and originally I had in mind for the submissions to be placed here, but on second thought I will open up a submissions thread as you suggested, but How do you all think the discussions should be posted:

I would say the results should go in a totally new thread. With any good fortune, it will become a massive, unweildly thread of legendary proportions.

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:
Premier wrote:Great question and originally I had in mind for the submissions to be placed here, but on second thought I will open up a submissions thread as you suggested, but How do you all think the discussions should be posted:

I would say the results should go in a totally new thread. With any good fortune, it will become a massive, unweildly thread of legendary proportions.

OK, I will go ahead and do just that since I can hopefully head things off before they get started. I would hate to make a request to the OZ of Splicers networking the Walord NMI to switch alot of posts around. NMI has already done so much, so I will go ahead and make a discussions thread for Unleashed. This is where the promotiing, debating, discussing, etc., can be handled without disrupting this thread of Rules and the Submissions thread.
I too hope it will be a massive thread of threads to remember.
Snake Eyes
Hero

Premier wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:I forgot to ask, what experience level?

GREAT question! I would always try to keep things fair depending on what the design is. If it is mean to be more of a solitary design then I tend to beef it up more, but if it is asocial or pack hunter design then it doesn’t have to be so beefed up. I would guess anywhere from level 1- level 5. What do you all think is reasonable for experience levels?

Thanks Premier i'll slightly beef up the HA i'm submitting, since it will be a solitary design
The Dragon Has Spoken
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

clockpunk wrote:Hoody hoo, thanks for clarififying / opening new threads.

One last question. Once posted, if minor revisions need be made (after, say, a week) - would that be permitted?

Oh most certainly. If editing and honing your product is what makes the best product then by all means go for it. Some of these edits might come while discussing your item and you may get help or construtive critics from other posters that may assist you or give you different ideas on how to do something. Since we only want the best for our setting, and we want to have fun doing it, by all means revise as you see fit. Now once the deadlines hit, however, thats it, sorry, but no alterations after that point.
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

I just realized, I can do backstories for anyone when needed, but I am not so great with constructing stats for the creations. Now my question is, can I get help creating the stats for my submissions?
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

89er wrote:I just realized, I can do backstories for anyone when needed, but I am not so great with constructing stats for the creations. Now my question is, can I get help creating the stats for my submissions?

I'll help; let me know.

krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

i was just curious

i will never be able to fully stat out my 3 submissions (barracuda/piranha, Croshak & Mourning Stars). Right now is basically the last time i can get to a computer (for recreation) until after the cut off date.

if by any chance you guys like my ideas and one of them is chosen, will i get an opportunity to fill it out in stage 2??... if not, thats ok

thanks in advance

krispy

just read a reply by Premier that answered my question, sooo, that is all i got sorry. i still hope you guys like my ideas
Last edited by krispy on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
connecting the dots
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

krispy wrote:i was just curious

i will never be able to fully stat out my 3 submissions (barracuda/piranha, Croshak & Mourning Stars). Right now is basically the last time i can get to a computer (for recreation) until after the cut off date.

if by any chance you guys like my ideas and one of them is chosen, will i get an opportunity to fill it out in stage 2??... if not, thats ok

thanks in advance

krispy

just read a reply by Premier that answered my question, sooo, that is all i got sorry. i still hope you guys like my ideas

Post them when you have a chance; deadline or not, I'd love to see them. PM me for a hand; I'll certainly help.

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

krispy wrote:i was just curious

thanks in advance
krispy

Actually, Krispy, Your in good hands!!!

As long you all get your Entries within the Unleashed Submissions thread, you can fine tune, finalize, splice or adjust your Entries as I am sure great conversations, informative/productive debates and advise may stem from the phase two discussions and marketing of your ideas. The key now is to hurry and get ALL of your Entries in ASAP.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:Post them when you have a chance; deadline or not, I'd love to see them. PM me for a hand; I'll certainly help.

thanks for the offer mate. i might just take you up on that
connecting the dots
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I just re-read this and I had designed a couple of Machine minions to unleash as a response to this, and I totally forgot that machine minions are Splicers :Unleashed part II so I'll just have to post them later. I'll be posting today or tomorrow for my entry into this one.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I just re-read this and I had designed a couple of Machine minions to unleash as a response to this, and I totally forgot that machine minions are Splicers :Unleashed part II so I'll just have to post them later. I'll be posting today or tomorrow for my entry into this one.

Thanks GK! Yeah the Machine's version of Unleashed will be next year for the 2nd contest. BTW, I am brewing & pondering a different idea for the 3rd SPLICERS:Unleashed contest. We look forward to seeing what your entry(s)will be.

Keep the Splice flowing everyone!
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Premier wrote:Actually, Krispy, Your in good hands!!!

As long you all get your Entries within the Unleashed Submissions thread, you can fine tune, finalize, splice or adjust your Entries as I am sure great conversations, informative/productive debates and advise may stem from the phase two discussions and marketing of your ideas. The key now is to hurry and get ALL of your Entries in ASAP.

thanks for the clarification Premier & i just read a reply of yours regarding the second phase focusing on NEXUS, im looking forward to it

oh & clever change up on the DUNE quote, they are a great trilogy
connecting the dots

Return to “Splicers® Unleashed!”