Are All E-Clips Created Equal?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: Are All E-Clips Created Equal?

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

To me all e-clips from a certain region are interchangeable baring obvious differences such as FSE-clips and the like.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Dr. Doom III wrote:To me all e-clips from a certain region are interchangeable baring obvious differences such as FSE-clips and the like.

Yup.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

any e-clip made will fit any eclip from any gun made, except for those that specify otherwise, such as triax FSE clips and naruni clips.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

airwalkrr wrote:Is this just commonly accepted for simplicity or is there a page reference explaining this?

I remember seeing in an old Rifter(not sure which one yet, sorry) that E-clips are interchangeable within a region; like all North American e-clips are the same, all Japanese the same,etc. If I come across the specific issue, I'll let you know.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

airwalkrr wrote:Is this just commonly accepted for simplicity or is there a page reference explaining this?

I think it might be mentioned in the Game Master's Guide?

There's been some fluff over the years that seems to allude to the fact that different e-clips don't work in all weapons though. There's a NPC I think in one of the SoT books that keeps all his e-clips in a large satchel and it says he might have a problem if he grabbed a "pistol e-clip" if trying to re-load his rifle.

Some of the text in Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp seems to go with different e-clips as well IIRC.

But it's all just fluff and not a rule to my knowledge.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

It's assumed because they're all based on leftover designs from the Golden Age of Man which made an effort to standardize ALL reserch equally to ALL countries, so all would work interchangeable. The only modern difference is Triax which decided to change the standard to get better gun balance.

AND they also made them backwards compatible so they can still use standard E-clips.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

If standard e-clips won't work in a weapon it should be noted either in the weapon description or the manufacturer description preceding the weapon descriptions. Otherwise assume standard and long e-clips work as normal.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:To me all e-clips from a certain region are interchangeable baring obvious differences such as FSE-clips and the like.

Yup.

Third

Sort of like how the regional DVDs are made for each region.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Midnght
OLD ONE
Comment: I do things you only fantasize about.

Unread post by Midnght »

I've always gone with they are equal unless the gun descrip denotes otherwise.
Note: I don't have my books with me and I merely post my opinion and how I've always handled such.

But I must say this could make for some interesting personal rules.

Like the regioning many mention.
Decay rates - eclip discharges after x days
Recharging times - How fast to recharge.
External factors that could hamer usage in various ways.

And so forth.
Wolfen Silver Enclosed

thedrunk
Explorer
Comment: Friendly Fire™
"Combat With a Smile"
A Ensite Para-Military Corperation

Unread post by thedrunk »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Third

Well if all E-clips are the same, how does one tell ammo left with in certian gun's. not all guns hold same amount of shot's
expample a C-12 from RUE holds a payload of 20 shots, a NG-L5 laser rifle holds 10 shot's how does one do the conversion ?? ( simple ) or does one say Wilks industrys all use same E-clip, CS E-clips wont work in a wilks riffle only cs and visa versa ??
my opinion but its how it should work to avoid confusion on payload, i.e. using a e-clip partially discharged when gun breaks on another brand of of weapondary.
"when in doubt, do it. It's much easier to appolige than to get permission."
- Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

thedrunk wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Third

Well if all E-clips are the same, how does one tell ammo left with in certian gun's. not all guns hold same amount of shot's
expample a C-12 from RUE holds a payload of 20 shots, a NG-L5 laser rifle holds 10 shot's how does one do the conversion ?? ( simple ) or does one say Wilks industrys all use same E-clip, CS E-clips wont work in a wilks riffle only cs and visa versa ??
my opinion but its how it should work to avoid confusion on payload, i.e. using a e-clip partially discharged when gun breaks on another brand of of weapondary.

Determine which precept of a whole e-clip each shot takes. For a quick exsample, if one gun has 10 shots per e-clip, and another has 20 shots per eclip, then every shot in the first gun takes away 10% charge and the other one 5% charge. So if you fire the first gun, and then take it out and put in in the second gun, the second gun would have 18 shots left.

Now if you fire the second gun first then put it into the first one, it only used 5%, but the second gun uses 10%. So it would be at 95%, or 9 shots, but after that it would be 5%.

Well, it wouldn't have enough juice left to fire another shot, but sinse it has 5% left, you can take the eclip from that gun and put it in the second one again to get the last shot.

Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

thedrunk wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Third

Some weapons are depicted with what looks like a little window showing a digital readout showing how much ammo or energy is left.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
AaronCE
D-Bee

Unread post by AaronCE »

airwalkrr wrote:Well, I've always assumed that E-Clips work like batteries. So I assume that HUDs that tell you how many shots left (or gun side-displays that do the same) are simply calculating how many shots are left based on the charge left in the E-Clip based on the % of energy left in the clip. They likely truncate remainder percentages as those wouldn't be enough for a whole shot. For example, if you fired off 11 shots from a 20-shot rifle then put the clip into a 10-shot rifle, it would tell you there were 4 shots left. And of course the batteries are likely something far beyond Lithium-Ion storage technology. In the first place they need to store a lot more power than Li-Ion batteries are probably capable of storing. In the second they are effectively eternally rechargeable.

This.

If you really wanted to get house rule-y, you could use some of the tables for weapon quality and apply it to E-clip quality. Then throw in expanded capacity. "Due to the fine manufacture and superior energy cells, UberCorp's E-clips store 20% more power. i.e. they have 120% of the shots/blasts of a normal clip." But that would make for a lot of book-keeping and hand-wringing.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:There's been some fluff over the years that seems to allude to the fact that different e-clips don't work in all weapons though. There's a NPC I think in one of the SoT books that keeps all his e-clips in a large satchel and it says he might have a problem if he grabbed a "pistol e-clip" if trying to re-load his rifle.

well, there are different sizes of E-clip. the standard E-clip, the short E-clip, the E-cannister....and not all weapons can accept all sizes. so if he's using a short E-clip in his pistol, but grabs a standard E-clip by mistake, he's just lost several seconds he could have used reloading.

to use an analogy, it's like a person who keeps both AA and AAA batteries in the same place. you can't interchange them, but you can grab the wrong kind by accident.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”