dead reign midget hound master dog rider

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Re: dead reign midget hound master dog rider

Unread post by DtMK »

Now hold on a minute. You know, in the past I've considered playing a little person character as well, but there's no real standing rules to make one in Palladium at this time. Oh by the way, some might find midget as a derogatory term. The preferred words are dwarf or little person. Contrary to Wee Man on ******* or the guy on Mind of Mencia, some little people take being called midget as the same as calling a black person the N word.

Think about it for a second. There are stats for handicapped but empowered characters in Heroes Unlimited, and the Blind Mystic in Mystic China. So what's wrong with a character who may not be as physically capable or tall as others, but making up for it by being kind to animals, and using said animals in creative ways? Don't other game systems like Hackmaster or even Dungeons and Dragons have stats for large dogs as mounts for smaller races like halflings and gnomes?

I personally think the kind of out of the box thoughts for such a character should be allowed, if not applauded. Is the player wanting to do it as a goof? If so, then don't allow it. But if the player seriously wants to take a crack at this, then why not? I can imagine the saddle sores and bow-legged cramps for a dwarf trying to ride such an animal, but other than that, you're not afraid of a little person character aided by his dogs as showing up the other characters, are you?

There are rules for using animals other than horses in Palladium Fantasy and Rifts New West. If the player puts in the appropriate skills, then why not let the character allow it? Heck, maybe he was even with the circus and used it as part of his act! Let's face it, there aren't a lot of role models for little people right now, Wee Man dresses like an Oompa Loompa and skateboards or kicks himself in the head? Verne Troyer plays mini versions of Mike Myers. What about The Wizard, a show about a dwarf genius inventor?

If the player is just goofing around, then no, put your foot down. But if he's serious, this could be a unique and interesting opportunity for role play! Come on, give it a shot! Do it for the hopes of joining the ranks of other groundbreakers! Billy Barty. Wee Man. Vern Troyer. And Cletus the Hound Rider! As a GM, you're not afraid he's going to do something to show you up, are you?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
GrampaAllen
D-Bee

Unread post by GrampaAllen »

Weight isnt the biggest problem its that dogs backs by and large are not built to carry weight the way a horse or bull does but they make carts for dogs to pull (even breeds that specialize in it) a hound master chariotier and funny concepts for characters work out well in my group all the time if they stay in character look at WWZ book the guy in the wheel chair
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

Buckwheat wrote:I have Never heard of any human being riding a dog.

You haven't??? I guess children aren't human beings in your book. I have personally seen an 8 year old child that weighed around 70 lbs give or take ride a Black Lab around her backyard for fun. The dog didn't seem to be bothered by her at all and was able to run and even clear the 2.5 foot jump onto the porch without spilling her.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I hope the saint bernard has the old booze barrel under the neck. My hound Master uses a dog sled that turns into a wagon. I think that my hounds should at least have leather barding or modify a policeman's Kevlar jacket for my fighting dogs. What kind of A.R. do you think it would provide. I was thinking that the Kevlar jacket would cover more for the dog than it would a man so would that increase the A.R. by 1 or 2?
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I would tend to agree with DtMK's perspective.

My land lady told me about how she used to watch monkeys riding gray hounds at the dog track. Gray hounds don't weigh much more than the monkeys. With a larger dog like a St. Bernard, this should be both possible and feasible. I would like to see such a Hound Master actually written up.

Concerning armor, kevlar for dogs is available but very tough to find. In our world, armor manufacturers are beginning to sell a variety of kevlar suit models for police dogs. These suits range anywhere from $700 to $2000 per suit. By 2012, the price may have dropped significantly. Some people believe that the suits are more trouble than they are worth because dogs tend to overheat more often then getting shot. I would stat these the same as a light kevlar vest.

Personally, I would selected the Mastiff or Great Dane instead of a St. Bernard. The saints are heavy, but mastiffs and danes are more athletic. I know a Spanish Mastiff who once chased a squirrel and caught it. The record holder for the tallest dog is Gibson according to the 2001 Genius Book of World Records; he stands about 7' when on his hind legs. Irish Wolfhounds are about that tall. The largest breed is commonly agreed be the English Mastiff. Now if game takes place in a snowy, cold setting, the St. Bernard would be the way to go.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Thanks for the armor advice. The overheating should not be much of a problem because our adventures take place in northern Canada mostly. I found a place that sell police dog armor with pictures.

http://www.petjoyonline.com/Police_K9_B ... p-0002.htm

I like this armor better because it covers the neck more, which I was worried about a zombie being able to bite the dog's neck if it was latched on to his arm. Sure glad to see the dogs in blue are getting new equipment.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-Ne ... 0641269198
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Here is an interesting and relevant picture. Sorry, but I don't know the source: Link, boy! Good dog!
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913

Return to “Dead Reign™”