Rifter #45 question

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Re: Rifter #45 question

Unread post by DtMK »

Ok, in a nutshell, Kevin explains his thoughts on the differences in what people would like about DRRPG and this version, but then it goes into a picture of the cult on the day of The Wave, it has a great timeline from 10,000 BC to 2012, then onto 2014 with parts of the world, including major cities being NUKED. It also goes into the lesser and greater demons, Gregius and Brulyx, which is really the most horrific part, even moreso than the zombie crapping maggot demon.

I'm not kidding folks, this thing is a true nightmare!

But finding out shades of the past, like the war that cut Brulyx off from this world, the casualties, and....something that tempted and empowered Brulyx? This gives people a lot of room to play with. But he IS a Demon Lord, elevated on par with an Intelligence without BEING one. It also shows that psionics and magic are doable if not rare, but beings with these energies alone would attract the zombies, not to mention every spell or psi-power used would be like shooting up a flare.

It also covers the atmosphere about the Cult of Brulyx recruiting, capturing and enslaving people, setting things up for the breeding camps. This being the case, people are going to be paranoid of characters coming around for fear they may be the enemy.

That's it in a nutshell, if I wasn't due for work I'd give a more detailed rundown. But I CAN say that it DOES whet some appetites like mine, and I STILL hope to see more of this vision in future supplements! With at least five different possibilities for Dead Reign worlds, each could be expanded on. But this world holds a special place in my zombie loving heart. :D
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Tricky
Wanderer

Unread post by Tricky »

I realized that my Rifter subscription ran out with #44, so I guess I better resubscribe (of course, I did get laid off today....which gives me more time to read!!! :lol: ) so I can get #45: I get the feeling that this one is going to fly off the shelves and straight into the 'sold out' Rifter List!
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I particularly liked the fact that Kevin explained one of his controversial decisions. That's so darn rare.

Anyway, the alternate Dead Reign setting is very different and very interesting. I can deal with a lack of faction information so long as the monsters available. That was really the problem Systems Failure for me; all of the supplemental information was about the humans who didn't need fleshing out, and I never did learn enough about the bugs. Back to DR, the demons were interesting. I don't know that this many varieties of demons were needed. Kevin did have a point about the focus of the game being zombies, but the option of zombie-related to use was welcome. What this setting needs is a name other than "that alternate Dead Reign setting which was Dead Reign before Dead Reign." I prefer the alternate settings to Kevin's interpretation, but I only slightly prefer it. The artwork for this article was good as well. The monsters actually look the way they are described in the text.

If Cit Laz is happy, all is good in the world.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

DtMK wrote:Ok, in a nutshell, Kevin explains his thoughts on the differences in what people would like about DRRPG and this version, but then it goes into a picture of the cult on the day of The Wave, it has a great timeline from 10,000 BC to 2012, then onto 2014 with parts of the world, including major cities being NUKED. It also goes into the lesser and greater demons, Gregius and Brulyx, which is really the most horrific part, even moreso than the zombie crapping maggot demon.

I'm not kidding folks, this thing is a true nightmare!

But finding out shades of the past, like the war that cut Brulyx off from this world, the casualties, and....something that tempted and empowered Brulyx? This gives people a lot of room to play with. But he IS a Demon Lord, elevated on par with an Intelligence without BEING one. It also shows that psionics and magic are doable if not rare, but beings with these energies alone would attract the zombies, not to mention every spell or psi-power used would be like shooting up a flare.

It also covers the atmosphere about the Cult of Brulyx recruiting, capturing and enslaving people, setting things up for the breeding camps. This being the case, people are going to be paranoid of characters coming around for fear they may be the enemy.

That's it in a nutshell, if I wasn't due for work I'd give a more detailed rundown. But I CAN say that it DOES whet some appetites like mine, and I STILL hope to see more of this vision in future supplements! With at least five different possibilities for Dead Reign worlds, each could be expanded on. But this world holds a special place in my zombie loving heart. :D

You got me drooling here. :fl:

Went to my conics/game store after seeing the new Underworld movie. Sadly they didn't get it and wil hopefully have it by Wednesday. If not i'll have them reserve me a copy. After reading that review i MUST have it! (even if it is just 20% of Citizen Lazlo's original work, it's still 20%! ;) )
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Lord Z wrote:I particularly liked the fact that Kevin explained one of his controversial decisions. That's so darn rare.

Anyway, the alternate Dead Reign setting is very different and very interesting. I can deal with a lack of faction information so long as the monsters available. That was really the problem Systems Failure for me; all of the supplemental information was about the humans who didn't need fleshing out, and I never did learn enough about the bugs. Back to DR, the demons were interesting. I don't know that this many varieties of demons were needed. Kevin did have a point about the focus of the game being zombies, but the option of zombie-related to use was welcome. What this setting needs is a name other than "that alternate Dead Reign setting which was Dead Reign before Dead Reign." I prefer the alternate settings to Kevin's interpretation, but I only slightly prefer it. The artwork for this article was good as well. The monsters actually look the way they are described in the text.

All I can say is even with both Rifters you are only seeing maybe 20% of MY GAME. The demons are sorta out of context without other information.

:)

But I'm glad you liked what you read.

Wow. Anyway to see the rest?
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

ScottBernard wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Lord Z wrote:I particularly liked the fact that Kevin explained one of his controversial decisions. That's so darn rare.

All I can say is even with both Rifters you are only seeing maybe 20% of MY GAME. The demons are sorta out of context without other information.

:)

But I'm glad you liked what you read.

Wow. Anyway to see the rest?

That's what we all want, but sadly to to contractual agreement when he submitted his work, Citizen Lazlo can't show it to us as it would be a breach of contract. Mind you i'm sure he would love to do it, but his hands are tied so to speak.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
I hope that Kevin decides to do another installment with the world and factional info, and maybe the camp creation rules.

There is always the option of Rifter #0. Material not being published elsewhere is fair game as material for this new e-book line. Has anyone suggested this to Wayne or Kevin yet?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Tricky
Wanderer

Unread post by Tricky »

Just got mine today; mad props to the post office guy who had to go out in this storm so I can have a Rifter, a graphic novel and a DR t-shirt (btw, get the t-shirt...very cool!).

I liked it; between the 3 DR books now (DR, Rifter's #44&45), we now have something for everyone: you want just straight survival horror? Use the regular DR. You want a horrible conspiracy against all mankind, more magic and psi powers, and a war between the forces of light and darkness? Use the Rifter optional setting.

My little brain is working on all sorts of things: Which PCC work best in the setting, as well as which mage classes (might have to check BtS, SF and maybe even NB!) work without unbalancing things too much.

Of course, my inner power gamer has started to look into what 'over the top' stuff to add to DR. Right now I'm thinking of using a Nightbane (hey, demons, magic and psychics are real, so why not sprinkle it with some 'bane?), the Demon hunter from one of the Rifters, and maybe even one character class from Rifts:Underseas; the group of guys that were touched by the Lord of the Deep but resisted the call. (I would use these guys as anti-demon units, obviously.)
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Got my copy yesterday. I like the Dead Reign material. I was wondering did the original manuscript have info on the ancient civilization, gods and the being helping Brulyx?

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I was wondering that myself. I was thinking the only pre-Atlantean civilization that came to mind would be Lemuria. But the being aiding Brulyx? Sheesh! There's only a few beings that MIGHT be that level of power. The Old Ones, The Dark, maybe The Host, Ahriman, or maybe even something else that we haven't heard of yet, something like an Elder God.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:I have the notes, but they were not in the OM. They were going to be fodder for a Sourcebook.

Would like to see any information you would be willing to share.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Tricky, take a look at the Demon Archer O.C.C. in this issue. It might be a good choice for your game, depending on how much you want to play up the demonic angle. Demon Archers uses bows made from demon bones, so it's a character class which viable in Alternate DR. (I still say this setting needs another name!) It's also a surprisingly balanced class. You would need to suppend the rule about arrows having no effect on zombies or make an exception in the case of the Demon Archer due to the supernatural power of the bow rather than its mechanics. You might want to extend the bonuses against demons to also include zombies -- maybe or maybe not.

Hey Pyrus, can the Demon Archer combine the Special Aimed Shot with the Demon Death Arrow? I'm not sure whether these were intended to be techniques which are compatible or not.

Tricky
Wanderer

Unread post by Tricky »

Hmm, gonna have to turn that page and look at Demon ARcher now.

My personal belief is that the being helping Brylux is Apsu, that big inky blot with an eye that made the Babylonians, i think. He's a powerhouse, made gods before, and is stuck inbetween worlds too!

but thats just my idea.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Hmm, that's an interesting theory. I'll have to read the Babylonian Pantheon again.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Lord Z wrote:Tricky, take a look at the Demon Archer O.C.C. in this issue. It might be a good choice for your game, depending on how much you want to play up the demonic angle. Demon Archers uses bows made from demon bones, so it's a character class which viable in Alternate DR. (I still say this setting needs another name!) It's also a surprisingly balanced class. You would need to suppend the rule about arrows having no effect on zombies or make an exception in the case of the Demon Archer due to the supernatural power of the bow rather than its mechanics. You might want to extend the bonuses against demons to also include zombies -- maybe or maybe not.

Hey Pyrus, can the Demon Archer combine the Special Aimed Shot with the Demon Death Arrow? I'm not sure whether these were intended to be techniques which are compatible or not.

Greetings and Salutations. I haven't actually read this thread before, so barely caught the question (I don't always read posts, so if there are questions in a thread anyone can feel free to shoot me a PM pointing me to it). I barely ordered Dead Reign, so I can't speak for how well it fits, but glad someone thinks it works. As for whether or not it works with the Special Aimed Shot, read the first Limitation. "If used in conjunctionwith the Special Aimed Shot it counts as three shots from the bow and will continue to add one more shot for each additional ability that counts as two shots (such as Sniper, which would bring it up to 4 shots, for example)." You may be willing to combine Sniper and Special Aimed Shot into one, I wouldn't argue, but I think it should at least count as three if using the Demon Death Arrow (one turn to empower the arrow, requiring full concentration). That should answer your question and hope it helps. Please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Dead Reign™”