godling chars

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

CushionRide
D-Bee

godling chars

Unread post by CushionRide »

i have a question about godlings, the special ability option that allows you to choose up to two magic practitioner types.... is there any errata that allows you to take different magic classes than what is presently listed? what i was hoping to do is make an ultimate crafting char. my local GM was gracious enough to allow me to combine Lord Magus, and technowizard, then i classed myself as the mystic russian crafter. needless to say it was quite the potent charachter.

i was hoping that it would be possible outside of house rules ;)

:D :D :D :D

{"DROP YOUR WEAPONS OR WE KILL YOUR COMMANDER!", i raised my rocket launcher and fired a volley of 4 missiles at them. well actualy i targeted the LT......} at this point the GM looks at me "are you serious", "yes, im shooting the LT. the best way to solve a hostage situation is to eliminate the hostage"

Diabolic RULES!!!!
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Re: godling chars

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

No.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I would let a godling take other forms of magic as its special abilities, ones that came out after Conversion book 2, but your combination still isn't legal: godlings don't get to also take an OCC. You either get a demigod with an OCC and one of those magic special abilities, or you make a godling with 2, but they're the godling RCC.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

One thing I never agree with was letting a Godling taking Warlock ability twice to gain all elemental magic. Gaining every spell per level is reward in itself and when combining two magic classes I think if a class has any restrictions it should carry over to the other class that be considered as his second pick. The Lord Magus has limited spell level he can acquire and it seems to me that this godling would need to be tied to the Three in the Federation of Magic some how. I believe in letting a character have a fair deal of leeway as long as the GM think this character will not unbalance the game or steal the show. I am for bargaining with the GM to allow a character the GM was not OK with. Our GM allowed a Tattoo Man to keep his Mind Melter powers if he accept penalties of his psychic powers to only have half duration and she also allowed a Cyber-Knight to change class to a Mystic Knight of the White Rose, but striped him of most of his power accept for zen combat & Living armor and had him start with only his I.S.P. pool with no bonuses at all from the new class which worked out OK.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

If I remember the entry right, you get the spells not occ skills, and limited OCC abilities. the Magi OCCs would be right out because they are very specific on where you get the training. The godling ability is supposed to be instinctive. Warlock, Conjurer, Ley Line Walker, the Witches from Russia, shifter, etc could all be "natural ability" with a bit of backstory, but the Magi OCCs, Mystic Kuznya, and TW Wizard both (IMO) should require more training than the others. Although I would concede the TW withy a suitable background, and Mystic Kuznya if the Godling was russian in origin and had ties to the russian pantheon (and I don't mean "Oh I ran away from them" ties either).

My favorite godling characters in the past were a cat godling daughter of bast with mostly physical abilities (and some psionics if I remember right) born in Omagua, and Nox, Daughter of Hades and Peresophone, made in the image of the comic book character Lady Death, except that she had healthy glow to her skin, and black hair. Later expansions of her backstory had her with a fragment of Nyx's power after a failed takeover attempt during the birth of Nox (failed soul switch - which imprisoned Nyx in limbo and partly in the mind of Nox). Nox was my ex-wife's character, and one of my favorite still. It takes a certain presence to effectively carry off a godling, and certain players can't do it (my current wife for instance).
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Conversion Book 2: Pantheons of the Megaverse
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
CushionRide
D-Bee

Talavar wrote:I would let a godling take other forms of magic as its special abilities, ones that came out after Conversion book 2, but your combination still isn't legal: godlings don't get to also take an OCC. You either get a demigod with an OCC and one of those magic special abilities, or you make a godling with 2, but they're the godling RCC.

i must admit im a little stale on the rules of generating a charachter, but i thought the whole purpose of RCC's were to add flavor to an OCC why doesnt the godling get to pick an OCC, please explain, does it fall in the same category as the psychic character classes?
if so then that kinda blows cause the godlings skillsets kinda suck. i do agree though that the character class was made before most of the other books in terms of alternate spell classes. so i would think that other magic classes would be acceptable, keep in mind there are one or two pantheons that are techno wizards in the pantheon book, so..... well it makes a good debate ^_^

thx for the feedback

{"DROP YOUR WEAPONS OR WE KILL YOUR COMMANDER!", i raised my rocket launcher and fired a volley of 4 missiles at them. well actualy i targeted the LT......} at this point the GM looks at me "are you serious", "yes, im shooting the LT. the best way to solve a hostage situation is to eliminate the hostage"

Diabolic RULES!!!!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

killgore wrote:
Rogue_Scientist wrote:I'm having this argument with someone else right now, but no, it is not possible to take the Magi classes as a godling or demigod power.

That would be me. :-D
No there is nothing in canon. However, the goddling RCC came out before most of the other OCCs in the books, so it's up to your GM what to allow for the RCC, as canon doesn't mention it either way.

Actually there is something in canon. Some of the more recent magic OCCs place racial restrictions onto them. Not sure if the Magi ones are part of this or not, but that would be one answer right there.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

CushionRide wrote:
Talavar wrote:I would let a godling take other forms of magic as its special abilities, ones that came out after Conversion book 2, but your combination still isn't legal: godlings don't get to also take an OCC. You either get a demigod with an OCC and one of those magic special abilities, or you make a godling with 2, but they're the godling RCC.

i must admit im a little stale on the rules of generating a charachter, but i thought the whole purpose of RCC's were to add flavor to an OCC why doesnt the godling get to pick an OCC, please explain, does it fall in the same category as the psychic character classes?

You're confusing races and Racial Character Classes. A character race, such as Human, Elf, Troll, etc., simply defines the character's species and heritage. In some cases, it may grant the character unusual or superhuman abilities, but individuals of these races still learn and grow just like human beings do, i.e. they receive an education and/or training for a particular job. Thus, such characters can take an Occupational Character Class.

Racial Character Classes, on the other hand, are supposed* to represent creatures who are radically different from human beings, and whose knowledge and skills are basically inherent to the creature's nature. A dragon, for example, is born knowing how to be a dragon, and can never be anything but a dragon. Although it possesses the intelligence to pursue a formal education, it lacks any inclination to do so (it is after all, a living embodiment of power and majesty). And so, a dragon's abilities are defined by its R.C.C. Some dragons can pursue formal tutelage in the ways of magic, but they only gain the magical powers -- not the skills, money, or equipment -- of magical O.C.C.s.

Godlings are given an R.C.C. and associated skill set primarily because, like dragons, they are incredibly powerful and alien beings. In their home dimensions they do not need to rely on science and technology, and thus, their skills are appropriately limited, although I do agree that their skill selection is kind of crappy. The Godling R.C.C. is essentially an ancient warrior, and doesn't adequately represent the diverse assortment of godlings who actually appear in mythology.

As to which magic classes should be allowed to godlings, see this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=95824

* I say "supposed to" because the term has been misused and abused over the years. One example relevant to this discussion is the Demigod R.C.C. As far as I can see, the only reason Demigods are an R.C.C. is so they would have their own experience chart. Otherwise, demigods conform to the definition of a normal character race.

There are basically three types of R.C.C. presented in Rifts: those which, as mentioned above, represent monstrous, animalistic, or alien beings with innate skills and abilities (e.g. dragons, demons, faeries, tri-wolves); those which represent exceptional (mutant?) individuals of a standard race who possess master psionic powers (e.g. Bursters, Mind Melters, Zappers), now properly referred to as Psychic Character Classes or Psychic O.C.C.s; and those which represent an O.C.C. that is unique to a particular race (e.g. Simvan Monster Riders, Azverkan Knights of the True Vision, Rulian Translators), essentially merging a race description with an O.C.C. description. I usually refer to the latter example as Racial O.C.C.s or Race-Restricted O.C.C.s in order to distinguish them from true R.C.C.s.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I've already asked this question and recieved an offical response. You can choose a variant class of the existing seletion, for example if you choose Mystic, the variant of Mystic Knight and Mystic Seer is also available. Essentially any variant of Ley Line Walker, Shifter, Mystic, Necromancer and Warlock.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
CushionRide
D-Bee

alright guys well thx for the info

Diabolic RULES!!!!
BigKab

Unread post by BigKab »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:You're confusing races and Racial Character Classes.

No, you're overthinking and underestimating the idea of mortal. As Elves and everything named has an R.C.C.. You're just used to seeing and/or playing humans with an O.C.C..

Return to “Rifts®”